Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danamann

Ajax is only a selling club because there are highest leagues to go to. The philosophy could also work here at Utd. Going for you talents and develop them into first team players. The thing that works really well for Ajax is that players like Botman who don't make it, still sell for decent money. You can invest that money into the first team(or new talented players).
when you basically have very little to no competition in the league you can afford to develop young players. Unless we’re talking about the absolute top level of talent who can compete for a first team spot right away, it’s just not a feasible model for united or any other top club.

Chief123

De Jong will clearly happen if possible. People should probably stop imagining what our budget is. We don’t have one.
Agree. I think there’s too much focus on the transfer fees. Most transfers are structured with instalments anyway.

The biggest benefit this summer is we’ve drastically reduced our ongoing wage bill with the departure of Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Matic and Mata.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I dont get the hardball from Ajax regarding United. They act as if we have raided their entire club, when in reality, we just bought ONE player, and that too most would say in a overpriced fee.

Bayern seem to have raided Ajax more, but they dont seem to mind. Weird that they will bend over for other clubs, but suddenly find a spine when its comes to United.
We are not hardballing United...

In this beginning of this window Ajax said: Haller, Alvarez, Gravenberch, Tagliafico are available for reasonbale prices. Timber Antony Martinez we really want to keep for another year so clubs would need to offer immense prices to convince us. They all have contracts for 3(!) more years... So yeah.. If you are going for those players you would need to pay up, instead of Ajax thinking along with the player for a reasonable fee... It has nothing to do with United, but the players you are after..

marktan

The problem I have with him is that when you watch him, you can tell he isn't explosive. He's a good dribbler but he doesn't have strong acceleration.

Players like Ousmane Dembele or Mahrez whom I would've been happy if we signed in comparison are much more explosive. Players like Nani, Mane, Neymar, they all had strong acceleration, which helps tremendously against low blocks and tight marking because you can always engineer space for yourself and by extension for your team by disorganising the opposition defence. For me as a wide player it's one of the pre-requisites that separate the good from the great.

Another issue that could be a factor is that if you watch his goals + assists video for 21/22, 90% of them are him cutting in and shooting or crossing (often with poor defending). Any opposition worth their salt will figure that out and show him outside.

In effect for something like £40m you get fair value but he's not a £65m calibre player. I think one of our biggest issues in attack has been our inability to play fast, technical wide players post Sir Alex. Look at Liverpool - Mane and Salah, City have Mahrez and Foden who are rapid, and previously had players like Sane. It's why our football ends up looking like slow motion zombie football, no one's able to run at the defences so everyone just looks to make passes in front of the defence. You beat a player and get to the byline, or make a run and get the ball at the byline, suddenly the defence is stretched and out of shape and you can ping a ball across the box.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
The problem I have with him is that when you watch him, you can tell he isn't explosive. He's a good dribbler but he doesn't have strong acceleration.
The problem is you didn't actually watch him or else you could tell he is explosive

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The problem is you didn't actually watch him or else you could tell he is explosive
It's absolutely baffling to read.

If Antony arrived at United and was a failure, it won't be due to his explosiveness, which isn't really a issue at all.

Chairman Steve

He reminds me of Nani which I’m sure people have already said in here without looking back. Lots of skills, trickery, showboating. I get the feeling a few defenders are going to give him a good collision or two so I hope he’s robust enough to roll with that.

He also looks like he’ll be one of those ‘he’s a cnut but he’s our cnut’ players, who just behaves like a shithouse to wind up the oppos, and oppo fans will hate his guts and we’d quietly acknowledge he does such things.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It is indeed a strange claim, without being able to support it, I'm under the impression that it's his top speed that could be questionable not his acceleration. The main reason he beats players for fun is that he has an excellent first step and good ball skills.

Highfather_24

In this beginning of this window Ajax said: Haller, Alvarez, Gravenberch, Tagliafico are available for reasonbale prices.
Where? Link?

Because I had read something like "cant allow United to exploit us further" which applies more to Bayern than United. We just got 1 player, and that too at an inflated price.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Would love if we get him. Adding Antony that has excelled in Ten Hags system to our current fluid front 3 would be a joy to watch

mu4c_20le

He reminds me of Nani which I’m sure people have already said in here without looking back. Lots of skills, trickery, showboating. I get the feeling a few defenders are going to give him a good collision or two so I hope he’s robust enough to roll with that.

He also looks like he’ll be one of those ‘he’s a cnut but he’s our cnut’ players, who just behaves like a shithouse to wind up the oppos, and oppo fans will hate his guts and we’d quietly acknowledge he does such things.
That's fine, as long as he's still contributing. Otherwise if he blows cold too often, he'll become like late stage Nani, who was hated and scapegoated here..

DevilRed

As mentioned in the latest press conference, ETH is still looking for the "right players".

I interpret that as a right sided player = Antony.

Transfer confirmed.

TheReligion

Abusive

Players like Ousmane Dembele or Mahrez whom I would've been happy if we signed in comparison are much more explosive. Players like Nani, Mane, Neymar, they all had strong acceleration, which helps tremendously against low blocks and tight marking because you can always engineer space for yourself and by extension for your team by disorganising the opposition defence. For me as a wide player it's one of the pre-requisites that separate the good from the great.

Another issue that could be a factor is that if you watch his goals + assists video for 21/22, 90% of them are him cutting in and shooting or crossing (often with poor defending). Any opposition worth their salt will figure that out and show him outside.

In effect for something like £40m you get fair value but he's not a £65m calibre player. I think one of our biggest issues in attack has been our inability to play fast, technical wide players post Sir Alex. Look at Liverpool - Mane and Salah, City have Mahrez and Foden who are rapid, and previously had players like Sane. It's why our football ends up looking like slow motion zombie football, no one's able to run at the defences so everyone just looks to make passes in front of the defence. You beat a player and get to the byline, or make a run and get the ball at the byline, suddenly the defence is stretched and out of shape and you can ping a ball across the box.
Where to start with this post..

The fact you mention Mahrez as ‘explosive’ when he’s infact more of a dribbler himself speaks volumes.

Frank Grimes

As mentioned in the latest press conference, ETH is still looking for the "right players".

I interpret that as a right sided player = Antony.

Transfer confirmed.
Also reports that Pellistri is being released on loan again. Surely Antony will come. Our current forward options are.

Rashford (shite for 18 months, maybe can regain form)
Martial (Unreliable)
Ronaldo (wants out)
Amad ( not ready, may never be)
Sancho (looks good)
Elanga (technically weak player imo)

A number 9 and a right sided player are essential. Think we may forego a RB but if we can get Antony, De Jong and a decent number 9 it's a very good window.

Still think we should have had our business done sooner, every point counts and a bad August due to slow recruitment could be the difference between top 4 or not.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Where? Link?

Because I had read something like "cant allow United to exploit us further" which applies more to Bayern than United. We just got 1 player, and that too at an inflated price.
Where? Link?

Because nothing like that has been said by Ajax.

lex talionis

One of Antony’s strengths is his explosiveness. Bizarre to read a post here which claims otherwise.

Abraxas

Have a feeling we might go mental on this one towards the back end of the window.

arthurka

68m for this guy please tell me someone is joking. His stats in a much weaker league are nothing to phone home about. The world has gone mad.

angak

I like Antony but we bought Sancho for the right flank just last summer for similar fee to what Ajax are demanding, I know we need more options but this would be quite costly.
More likely we'll get a versatile forward (I see we've been linked with Memphis), maybe this would be revisited next summer when hopefully we're in the UCL.

One of the key aspects of ETH philosophy is that he plays with inverted wingers. This means that ideally he plays with Sancho/Rashford on the left and Antony on the right. Rashford can also play in a more central role depending on Martial form or injury.

You can't lose Greenwood, Cavani and Ronaldo and not replace any of them.

CM

Looks like De Jong and Antony are the two remaining targets for this window.

I like the look of Antony but the fees being spoken about certainly feel like we're getting an Ajax surcharge tagged on, just as it did with Martinez. Maybe ten Hag is happy to do that for two players he knows well, but it's a lot of money.

Robindinho

If it was a choice between the two, would you rather we sign Antony and promote Garner/Iqbal, or sign De Jong and have to rely on Elanga/Amad as the back up wingers?

Can't see how we get both, unless we somehow magically make around £50m on the likes of AWB, Bailly, Telles etc.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
68m for this guy please tell me someone is joking. His stats in a much weaker league are nothing to phone home about. The world has gone mad.
Is this going to be new Di Maria / he's small / lets walk away?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Do we still have money for Frenkie after this or has that already been set aside?
Course we do, we’ve got loads of shit we could sell on eBay.

Arnold & Murtoigh we’re actually getting financial consultancy from Laporte in bArse

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Where? Link?

This is something I found quickly where they are referring to Mike Verweij, who is (a massive cnut, but also....) a very reliable Ajax news source.. https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...dam-ajax-stelt-vraagprijs-vast-voor-trio.html

So Ajax.. It has nothing to do with United...

flappyjay

If it was a choice between the two, would you rather we sign Antony and promote Garner/Iqbal, or sign De Jong and have to rely on Elanga/Amad as the back up wingers?

Can't see how we get both, unless we somehow magically make around £50m on the likes of AWB, Bailly, Telles etc.
I would pick De Jong, we need quality in midfield. Whilst we might get away with Sancho on the right but we still need depth there too.

bosskeano

i'm fuking mind blown that there is negative push back on wanting to sign this lad.....he's brilliant on the ball, will have OT standing and waiting to see what he'll do with the ball at his feet which is what we've been missing for years. If he puts a bloody end product to it then we'd have ourselves a real top class player

look what mahrez does, salah, robben, even that cvnt greenwood....the left footed player on the right is so effective

bosskeano

If we suddenly pushed ahead with a deal to sign Anthony, all the De Jong fans should be very worried. I can’t see us signing both.
i don't believe that is the case at all....i'm sure he laid out a specific plan of who he wanted and wasn't willing to take the position unless they agreed to do everything possible to land them(malacia, martinez, antony, de jong)

Chief123

Be honest, how much have you watched him. If there’s one word you would use to describe him, it would be explosive. I honestly have no idea what you have seen of him.

Chief123

It is indeed a strange claim, without being able to support it, I'm under the impression that it's his top speed that could be questionable not his acceleration. The main reason he beats players for fun is that he has an excellent first step and good ball skills.
Exactly this. He’s literally like Robben used to be. Every single person knew exactly what Robben wanted to do. He was going to cut inside and shoot from range. The problem was you just didn’t know when he would do it. And when he did, then you were normally too late.

Antony is very similar in that aspect. His quick feet and change of direction would be described as explosive as he’s able to get the half yard he needs.

I honestly don’t know how he could be described as not explosive.

marktan

Be honest, how much have you watched him. If there’s one word you would use to describe him, it would be explosive. I honestly have no idea what you have seen of him.
I did, go pick a 10 minute dribbling video from YouTube and post it here, post it side by side with someone like Mane, Neymar or even Nani, and you'll see the difference in explosiveness.
Then do the same for someone like Mikhitaryan and you'll see his explosiveness is similar to Antony's.

People said the same thing about Sancho in his transfer thread "oh you haven't watched him he beats people for fun". I don't know maybe I just judge differently or something but a £65m player Antony is not.

Chief123

I did, go pick a 10 minute dribbling video from YouTube and post it here, post it side by side with someone like Mane, Neymar or even Nani, and you'll see the difference in explosiveness.
Then do the same for someone like Mikhitaryan and you'll see his explosiveness is similar to Antony's.

People said the same thing about Sancho in his transfer thread "oh you haven't watched him he beats people for fun". I don't know maybe I just judge differently or something but a £65m player Antony is not.
So basically you’ve barely watched him. Makes sense.

CM

Second one for me, although I don't think it will be a direct choice. It's harder to find players with the qualities De Jong has and there's not really anyone capable of playing that role in our team as it stands.

We could use another wide player for sure but if Sancho and Rashford find form and stay fit, we might be alright for this season. Amad has a lot of quality if used correctly, Elanga's a grafter and even Garnacho's highly rated.

We need an rvn

i'm fuking mind blown that there is negative push back on wanting to sign this lad.....he's brilliant on the ball, will have OT standing and waiting to see what he'll do with the ball at his feet which is what we've been missing for years. If he puts a bloody end product to it then we'd have ourselves a real top class player

look what mahrez does, salah, robben, even that cvnt greenwood....the left footed player on the right is so effective
I reckon some are just wanting to wait until after the world cup where he'll have a stormer and jack the price up by another £20m - only then will they be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.