Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lights Out

People making a big deal over the fee - City spent £100m on Grealish last year and he still isn’t even a regular starter for them.

chicha14

Too young, has not yet anded in a transfer request, too expensive, not PL proven, do not want.
Am I doing this right?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If we don’t sign him, watch the same posters moaning about his fee, go full “why didn’t we sign him, this club is shambles” after the first nothing performance by Rashy and Sanchy.

Some people will never be happy and will always find something to complain about. It’s a life choice at this point.

Sign the magnificent samba fecker now!

AndySmith1990

The constant talk of finances puts such a downer on transfers. It's boring.

Is he gonna score goals and help to make watching United fun again?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well Ajax must certainly rate this guy if they are refusing to sell for this massive fee we're offering, whether that is 80/100m.
It's more the circumstances. They have already lost a huge number of players for a lot of money this summer. The disruption caused by losing and having to replace Antony as well when they don't need the money means his price is higher right now than it would otherwise be.

dasty

Too young, has not yet anded in a transfer request, too expensive, not PL proven, do not want.
Am I doing this right?
You forgot mentioning that he is lacking the physicality to play in PL and the defenders here will eat him alive because the refs let a lot go, while on the other hand saying that he will be carded a lot for his dives because EPL refs are very strict. You also forgot to mention that he is a Brazilian and all our Brazilian signings such as Possebon, Anderson, Fred and Casemiro are flops so he is destined to fail. Di Maria vibes, mercenary here for a big payday. Oh and his height too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Exactly, he's a left footed right winger (what we've been crying out for) and got the skill and unpredictability of someone like Saint-maximin, who people love watching.

I just want to enjoy watching our team again, first and foremost. Seeing Casemiro smash someone in the middle of the park and Anthony flip-flapping down the wing will certainly do me for now.

TheReligion

Abusive
I was absolutely convinced that we‘d sign him this summer when we got ten Hag. I thought we’d start at 40m and end up paying about 65m and it would prove to be a bit of an overspend. 100m is way too much.
You’ve always been tight fisted to be fair.

TheReligion

Abusive

Agree. We know the club can afford it.

Antony is a classic United style player. Gets bums off seats. If he delivers he’ll have a big resale value (not that we are a selling club) so why not?

Kaizane

Really don't get why people are worried about the price. Football is a billionaires game now and if we want to remain relevant, nevermind competitive then 80-100m for good young players is the going rate, it's as simple as that.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
————-Casemiro———-
—Bruno/Eriksen—Fred—
Anthony-Ronaldo-Sancho

And I think that’s us done unless we get a right back. On paper that’s not bad at all.
With Antony being wide and crossing a lot, wouldn't it be best for Rashford to play the other wing? It's not like any of the midfielders are box presences and Sancho-Antony seems really lightweight at the opposing box.

Laurencio

How can you not be excited? He's exactly what we need.
Hell as long as the money is there to bring in the rest of the reinforcements we need I couldn't give a toss about the price. He'd be a fun player to watch if he can translate some of that to the Premier League.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973

I agree it does but I find frustrating that other clubs seem to be able to pay sensible money top talent. Diaz to Liverpool for example. Is this guy even that good?

Telsim

Really don't get why people are worried about the price. Football is a billionaires game now and if we want to remain relevant, nevermind competitive then 80-100m for good young players is the going rate, it's as simple as that.
Billionaire clubs are getting trounced in Europe though. Liverpool are managing a lot more with a lot less. So are Real Madrid. They buy and sell. Madrid bought Tchouameni for €100M and had no issue selling Casemiro to us for €80M. We only buy and never sell. And for all our "Buy! Buy! Buy!” we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Paying a large fee for Antony would make a lot more sense if we had sold Rashford to PSG for €70M. We are doing the exact opposite instead. We are paying €100M for Antony while also massively devaluing the asset we already have in that position, so he will likely go for free or for peanuts. Because we can't possibly imagine selling MBE Saint Sigma Rashford. It makes absolutely no sense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Antony will be worth 150 million after WC. He is 23 now and will be worth every penny if we get him now. Fans will love him.
Doubt he would start many games for them though, if you look at what they've got up front.

LW - Neymar, Vinicius Jnr, Martinelli, Cunha
FW - Jesus, Firmino, Richarlison
RW - Raphina, Antony, Rodrygo

I guess in terms of their starting front 3 preference:

1. Neymar (LW/CF)
2. Vinicius Jnr (LW)
3. Jesus (CF, RW)
4. Raphina (RW)
5. Antony (RW)

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Doubt he would start many games for them though, if you look at what they've got up front.

LW - Vinicius Jnr, Martinelli
FW - Neymar, Jesus, Richarlison

1. Neymar
2. Vinicius Jnr
3. Jesus
4. Raphina
5. Antony
Maybe a better idea than to guess is to look at the players that have been starting the past few international games.

Fred starts over Fabinho for Brazil for example.

croadyman

Impressed how much he's willing to push for move (De Jong take note). However given the option would people prefer

De Jong & alternative left footed RW

Antony & alternative playmaking CM

Ish

Lights on for Luke

LW - Neymar, Vinicius Jnr, Martinelli, Cunha
FW - Jesus, Firmino, Richarlison

1. Neymar (LW/CF)
2. Vinicius Jnr (LW)
3. Jesus (CF, RW)
4. Raphina (RW)
5. Antony (RW)
From what I’ve read on here, Antony seems to be slightly preferred over Raphinha - or at the very least, it seems 50/50. I say this without having checked any starting/mins stats for the 2 btw.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
How can you not be excited? He's exactly what we need.
I rather gamble 100 million euros on his potential than pay 50 for steady and decent gakpo who atm has slightly better end product.

This antony guy has something about him.

Rolaholic

From what I’ve read on here, Antony seems to be slightly preferred over Raphinha - or at the very least, it seems 50/50. I say this without having checked any starting/mins stats for the 2 btw.
Yea he was preferred by Tite over Raphinha as of late before he got hurt towards the end of the season

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Impressed how much he's willing to push for move (De Jong take note). However given the option would people prefer

FDJ. Our midfield would be elevated up there with the best in the league IMO, and controlling the midfield will transform us and give our attackers a better platform.

Sviken

Antony doesn't have close to 20 million in deferred wages though. As far as your question, De Jong, obviously. If we had Casemiro-Eriksen-De Jong in the midfield, that would easily transform it into one of the best in Europe from one of the worst. Antony would do a good job, but he isn't a huge upgrade over what we have like FDJ would be over the McFred.

fallengt

Well Ajax must certainly rate this guy if they are refusing to sell for this massive fee we're offering, whether that is 80/100m.
His real value is somewhere between 40-60m but Ajax don't have to and don't want to sell many players in one window. Finding replacement this late in the summer is not a good idea.
If Chelsea sells Ziyech to Ajax for peanut , you bet they'll sell.

Last edited:

croadyman

Antony doesn't have close to 20 million in deferred wages though. As far as your question, De Jong, obviously. If we had Casemiro-Eriksen-De Jong in the midfield, that would easily transform it into one of the best in Europe from one of the worst. Antony would do a good job, but he isn't a huge upgrade over what we have like FDJ would be over the McFred.
Yeah my thoughts as well, wish the club could see it too and weren't putting out briefs last night about De Jong over

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Billionaire clubs are getting trounced in Europe though. Liverpool are managing a lot more with a lot less. So are Real Madrid. They buy and sell. Madrid bought Tchouameni for €100M and had no issue selling Casemiro to us for €80M. We only buy and never sell. And for all our "Buy! Buy! Buy!” we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Paying a large fee for Antony would make a lot more sense if we had sold Rashford to PSG for €70M. We are doing the exact opposite instead. We are paying €100M for Antony while also massively devaluing the asset we already have in that position, so he will likely go for free or for peanuts. Because we can't possibly imagine selling MBE Saint Sigma Rashford. It makes absolutely no sense.
We can’t sell Rashford to PSG when there’s no actual interest.

A club that has Neymar, Messi and Mbappe and can afford to buy almost every player would have interest in Rashford, a player who has done feck all in the past 18 months. :lol:

kirk buttercup

A club that has Neymar, Messi and Mbappe and can afford to buy almost every player would have interest in Rashford, a player who has done feck all in the past 18 months. :lol:
And yet he will still start on Monday night

croadyman

Yeah selling him for around £50-£60m genuinely could have opened up opportunities to sign De Jong AND Antony

AndySmith1990

I agree it does but I find frustrating that other clubs seem to be able to pay sensible money top talent. Diaz to Liverpool for example. Is this guy even that good?
Liverpool have stability and structure in place which allows them to spend months or years identifying these targets, allowing them to find players like Diaz at a good price. We're scrambling around desperately trying to grab the best players we can at the end of the transfer window. We're unlikely to find bargains.

We just have to suck it up and hope we bring in some quality players able to transform us into top 4 challengers. We can then hopefully get our act together with scouting and data analysis, and find our own Diaz's in future windows

Telsim

But there was interest. I'd agree if English media had published about it first, but the first to report it were L'Equipe and RMC. Both are reliable French sources. We just shut that down because Rashford is much too be precious to be sold, you see. There's absolutely no reason for him to be at the club any longer in light of that offer, especially if we bring Antony, but here we are.

Cecc

He could be the spark to ignite this team!

Last edited:

Nights

Not surprised he’s agitating for a move here given the sums involved and the fact that we’ll essentially be fielding the Brazilian NT’s midfield day in day out, especially with the WC coming up.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If we manage to sign him even at the quoted price, he would be an excellent acquisition if Ten Hag manages to coach end product into him. Players like Mane and Sterling had a lot of flashiness in their game before they joined Liverpool and City respectively and they both had very inconsistent end product but Guardiola managed to turn Sterling into a 20+ goal a season player and Klopp did the same with Mane.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe they will share the minutes. But I just don't see Antony would start many games over Raphinha, especially when they have so many talents on the WF role too. Don't forget Rodrygo is also highly rated and very impressive in CL last season.

And then we all know Brazil will start with Neymar and Vinicius in most game, not even a question. And so the remaining one spot will be compete between Jesus, Raphina, Antony, Rodrygo etc.

And here's the game when Brazil played them both on each half against same opponents (Paraguay early this year) for direct comparison. Although they have both impressed and scored, one can easily tell Raphinha is even more of a threats/better player than Antony from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.