g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would Leeds have sold Raphina to us for £50m?
Remember Chelsea bidded £60m, but the player only wanted Barca.
And it seems Antony only wanted us too. Point is, we are going to overpay him by alot. Its like back to Maguire time when we overpay by crazy amount just to get what we needed. And unlike Nunez he doesn't even have an amazing season to back it up, we are buying purely on potential alone.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
People get so hung up on transfer fees. A player price is based on so many different factors you just can’t compare to other players transfer fees.

Ajax don’t want to sell, so the fee has to be too good to reject. That’s basically it really.

For what it’s worth I think he’s a great talent in an area of the pitch where we are massively short. Especially with Rashford and Sancho not hitting the ground running so far.

Tallis

I would love to have him here but this doesn’t seem like a window where we blow 100m on a wide forward. For a striker, that would make sense.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Please god no, not for a 100 million, even 80 sounds too much. He's an exciting player with potential but too many what ifs attached to him.
Last thing we need is for glazer to absolutely bankrupt the club.

We need a strong-minded and progressive dof to put an end to this sort of nonsense
I suspect they don't care -- its window dressing before the big sale. Its will be booked as a 100million asset.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I would love to have him here but this doesn’t seem like a window where we blow 100m on a wide forward. For a striker, that would make sense.
This. But if we do blow that much on an Antony it would mean that Ronaldo is staying. Why not spend the money on an FdJ instead? We have redundancies in the various positions already.

Bestietom

And it seems Antony only wanted us too. Point is, we are going to overpay him by alot. Its like back to Maguire time when we overpay by crazy amount just to get what we needed. And he doesn't even have an amazing season to back it up, we are buying purely on potential alone.
Antony will be worth 150 million after WC. He is 23 now and will be worth every penny if we get him now. Fans will love him.

Red00012

Who would you suggest we buy fornthe RW?
And I am not going tit for tat. I am just letting you know every transfer is different.
I would turn to Gapko for the €40 million they are looking for and spend the €40 million saved elsewhere in another position .

Telsim

Same club paid £85m for Nunez.
They overpaid, but they could afford to do that because they don't really need reinforcement elsewhere on the pitch. If their total budget is a €100M or €120M and they think it's prudent to spend most of it on one player then it's ok.

We don't have that luxury. We are in a desperate need for a CM, CF, RW, RB, and GK. With Antony in the mix, we'd have spent in excess of €250M on four players: Malacia, Martinez, Casemiro, and Antony. With smart and clever buying, for this kind of money you could build almost an entire team. We will spend more in one summer than Liverpool have spent in the last 5 years. And we've already spend more in that period than any other team, it's not even close. Where has that left us? Bottom of the table.

€100M for Antony is insane in our situation.

Smores

If we do end up paying that amount it's ludicrous and there's really no defending it. It's simply a product of our own failures.

From a fan view with a simple focus it's a signing we have to make at this point. Objectively its high risk and exactly the type of transfer we should be avoiding through better planning.

I'll celebrate the signing but it's important the club learn from this repeated mistake.

I've stopped giving any shits about fees.

We've had an ownership model that takes billions out of the club, as if we should give a shit when the same ownership needs to spunk 300m euros in one window because we've become so shite.

Get Antony in, and get FdJ in. Sell Bailly, AWB, McTom, Garner and anyone else who appears completely tainted by last season, hell if we're gonna be daft enough to bench Varane, better we sell Maguire too, even though I like him. Silly situation we've ended up in otherwise, we have Varane ffs and if we can improve other areas of the squad by selling another CB for decent money, we should obviously do just that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ajax should absolutely love us if they get £130m or so for Antony and Martinez. We will basically be bankrolling their next two seasons.

fezzerUTD

It's 2022 now, after Neymar transfer, the transfer fees are going nuts. 50 to 100 is the range now for elite potential players. 100 to 200 is the range for the sure world class one. We got Sancho for the lesser because of Covid and i think the market is back to its norm now.

Also, i think we should be happy when the club is spending to improve after the last 2 results. I think United fans can be a bit more like Barca or Madrid fans that demand more from their players and club. Be abit more spoil, more demanding, vocal to the club, and nutter. Theres a saying, " the crying baby will get the candy".
Also because he’s sh!t.

avgp_1

The market is terrible atm. Don't think there are too many left footed RWs around Europe who are not at a top club or are available. Likes of Diaby, Saka, Bowen etc are not going to be sold by their clubs.

Leeds haven't replaced Raphinha, Chelsea haven't gone after anyone after he snubbed them, Ajax are linked with Kluivert.

Antony is the only one who looks ready and attainable and we will have to overpay to get him.

Bondi77

I don't have a formula. But I am damn well sure no one here does either. Why did Liverpool pay £85m for Nunez?
Transfer fees for a 23 y/o are largely based on the level you think a player can achieve in your team among a host of other factors.
The same best team from a league ranked 7th in Europe have consistently been one of the better sides in Europe over the past few years, consistently beating sides from better leagues and sis very comfortable financially.
Saying arbitrarily he's not worth more than x sounds silly to me.
They were on the same level when VDB was a major part of that and we got burnt paying 34mil for him.
Looking at players like Jota and Diaz I would say 35-40mil is the range I would put Antony in.....just my opinion of course.

Rob Bowman

I've stopped giving any shits about fees.

We've had an ownership model that takes billions out of the club, as if we should give a shit when the same ownership needs to spunk 300m euros in one window because we've become so shite.

Get Antony in, and get FdJ in. Sell Bailly, AWB, McTom, Garner and anyone else who appears completely tainted by last season, hell if we're gonna be daft enough to bench Varane, better we sell Maguire too, even though I like him. Silly situation we've ended up in otherwise, we have Varane ffs and if we can improve other areas of the squad by selling another CB for decent money, we should obviously do just that.
Why Garner?

He is one I think has some potential. Just curious.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I was absolutely convinced that we‘d sign him this summer when we got ten Hag. I thought we’d start at 40m and end up paying about 65m and it would prove to be a bit of an overspend. 100m is way too much.

Last edited:

StonedhamsterZA

Also because he’s sh!t.
I rate he will come right this season. Unfortunately no matter how good these youngsters are technically, they still need to learn how to handle bad patches, both in their own form and the clubs, from a mental perspective.

Hopefully as we start to get going in the next few weeks he will start to show why we signed him.

Why Garner?

He is one I think has some potential. Just curious.
Because if selling him, Bailly, McTom and a bunch of others gives us a transfer window of FdJ, Casemiro, Antony, Martinez and Malacia, well that's half a new team and exactly what we needed after last season. Potential or no potential, that team would be ready to go now.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I was absolutely convinced that we‘d sign him this summer when we got ten Hag. I thought we’d start at 40m and end up paying about 65m and it would prove to be a bit of an overspend. 200m is way too much.
Pounds/Euro's?

fergosaurus

Just pay the money. His raw potential looks incredible. We could be overpaying but I don't care at this stage. This guy looks quality and will get the OT crowd off their feet.

RkkMan

His fee is crazy but we've already opened a Pandora's Box by exposing our hand with a big bid and the player actively forcing a move. We may as well just go all the way even if it means paying a little more than the first offer(with bonuses on top) because backing away at this point looks silly with wheels in motion
At least he's young with big potential, an actual RW and left footed so offers us something we seriously lack unlike Gakpo whom we have 2/3 similar players on the LW

Rob Bowman

Because if selling him, Bailly, McTom and a bunch of others gives us a transfer window of FdJ, Casemiro, Antony, Martinez and Malacia, well that's half a new team and exactly what we needed after last season. Potential or no potential, that team would be ready to go now.
I agree those signing would be awesome. I just do not understand why you lumped him in with the other underperforming players you did.

Garner was not with the team last year and showed promising signs.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

100m euros. I can smell the desperation from the other side of the world. That being said, he will be a very good player for you IMO.
Cheers, hope you and the lads are surviving those hot Australian summer days ;)
Pricey but it seems worth it. Go for it.
Is he worth it though? What makes you say that?
I'm convinced ETH is Ajax's spy.
No fecking way someone would see Antony as 100m player.
I know this is honestly mental. Someone like Kane or Neymar who are proven at the top level but I just don’t see this being worth that much.
Antony will be worth 150 million after WC. He is 23 now and will be worth every penny if we get him now. Fans will love him.
Are you just basing this off a general vibe? There is nothing in his stats or track record to back this up. Even Gakpo has better numbers.
For a €100m, let’s go and get Neymar :drool:

(I’m only half jesting)
So many people hate Neymar but I’d still love to get him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
————-Casemiro———-
—Bruno/Eriksen—Fred—
Anthony-Ronaldo-Sancho

And I think that’s us done unless we get a right back. On paper that’s not bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.