Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

The worrying thing is that he's doesn't have out of this world stats for a team that scored 98 goals in the Eredevise. I'm sure he's a good player but for this kind of money, you'd hope to see something better that 12 G/A last season and 17 G/A the season before.

Sancho had 19 G/A in his final season (worst G/A in his 3 full season) which he started extremely slow in.

FatTails

United and City are level at 3-3 with 2 minutes to play. Its been end to end, a true classic. Suddenly Antony picks up the ball 40 yards from goal. He jinxes past two defenders and finds himself on the edge of the box. He dummies and cuts in to the left, striking the ball and curling it towards the far top left corner. It's in! United win the Derby, incredible! But wait... there's silence in the crowd. That €100m the Glazer's sanctioned is still fresh in the memory. United fans don't forget or forgive easily, and the reaction to Antony's goal tells you how tired of football they all are. The reckless spending of money generated by the club in the pursuit to improve the team is not welcomed. feck off Murtough they begin to chant
Cool story. A world outside football does exist.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The issue with AWB and Maguire isn’t their price - it’s that they haven’t been good enough. If Antony is good enough to be the right winger for the next 7 years at a team expected to challenge for CL and PL titles then his price is irrelevant.
And if Antony isn't good enough to be the right winger for the next 7 years at a team expected to challenge for CL and PL titles?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
And if Antony isn't good enough to be the right winger for the next 7 years at a team expected to challenge for CL and PL titles?
If we don’t think he is we shouldn’t be signing him. ETH and the club clearly think he is. It’s absolutely mind boggling to me that people are happier buying Ziyech - the 29 year old Chelsea reject who has totally failed in the PL - than 22 year old Antony who is on the brink of stardom because he’s cheaper. You all just find reasons to be miserable.

House Mkhitaryan

Antony's value according to Transfermarkt is €35M. Seems insane that Ajax are demanding €100M when the player is going on strike to try to force a move.

I would suggest the club not pay this ransom price.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You're talking of an environment that looks like it's about to change but using 'this' in the tense of us being perpetually what we currently are. Comes across pessimistic.
Can you blame me? A decade of shite.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In all of the world of football, you are telling me there is no other winger we can buy with similar qualities? At this price he needs to come and carry the attack.
In all the world, I'm sure there is.

But do we know who they are? Are they available to come? Do they even want to come to a non-CL side? How much will they cost this late in the transfer window? Are they even as proven as Antony?

And whoever that player is, they don't come with the added value of ETH already knowing he trusts their character, knowing they fit his style of play and knowing they should pick adapt to his system here very quickly. Those are factors that mean Antony is worth more to us than he would be to other clubs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In all of the world of football, you are telling me there is no other winger we can buy with similar qualities? At this price he needs to come and carry the attack.
Id say Pedro Neto is the only other one and to me he isn't as talented as Antony (and has generally played on the left, not the right). But we need a left footed right winger who can hit the top level and rotate/challenge with Sancho and Rashford. That needs 100m basically. We lost Greenwood, this is the replacement.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we don’t think he is we shouldn’t be signing him. ETH and the club clearly think he is. It’s absolutely mind boggling to me that people are happier buying Ziyech - the 29 year old Chelsea reject who has totally failed in the PL - than 22 year old Antony who is on the brink of stardom because he’s cheaper. You all just find reasons to be miserable.
So assuming because ETH and the club thinks he's worth 100m does that mean he's worth 100m? I'm going to bring up Maguire, Awb and Fred again, since the club and coach at that time thought they were worth those ridiculous amounts. And it's ironic you're slating Ziyech who easily outperformed Antony in the same league.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Couldn't we use his apparent desperation to leave as some kind of leverage here and not pay the astronomical fee they're asking for? It's still going to be a huge fee, but maybe negotiate it down a bit. I know it's ultimately down to the club, but you don't want a player who clearly wants to go, and hasn't been shy in showing that.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Name some because I'm struggling to think of any that are as exciting as Antony.

Couldn't we use his apparent desperation to leave as some kind of leverage here and not pay the astronomical fee they're asking for? It's still going to be a huge fee, but maybe negotiate it down a bit. I know it's ultimately down to the club, but you don't want a player who clearly wants to go, and hasn't been shy in showing that.
Not as desperate as Manchester United are. Thats why the fee will be so high.

The fixation on transfer fees is crazy for what its worth.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Yes, they haven't quadrupled
What fee do you think Suarez would have gone for in a similar situation now? De Jong went to Barcelona for 15 million pounds less than what we're allegedly about to pay for Antony, 3 years ago.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Nope not a single winger. Although don't be surprised some unknown winger or a winger that was available for much less than Antony suddenly pops up this season and outperforms our 100m player

Mickeza

still gets no respect
So assuming because ETH and the club thinks he's worth 100m does that mean he's worth 100m? I'm going to bring up Maguire, Awb and Fred again, since the club and coach at that time thought they were worth those ridiculous amounts. And it's ironic you're slating Ziyech easily outperformed Antony in the same league.
No. He’s worth what Ajax want to sell and we’re willing to pay. Your argument is basically we’ve signed players for lots before who haven’t been good enough - what are we doing signing more. It’s ridiculous. Let’s just stop signing players shall we? All pack up and go home. He’s quite clearly a very good footballer. I don’t give two fecks about goals and assists at this stage - he’s 22 and anyone with eyes can see within 5 minutes of watching him he’s an incredibly gifted player. Only Manchester United fans moan about signing good players. Casemiro is too old. Antony is too unproven. Let’s sign Zakaria and Ziyech instead and win the value contest.

And? Haller has better stats too. Not the same age. Not the same roles. What’s your point? Boiling down a players worth to G/A is so incredibly basic I don’t know how to respond.

Swedish_Plumber

A lot of money that. Puts big pressure on him to hit the ground running too.

What we need though is a player coming in who’s willing to work like a mad man and I believe that’s what he can do. Of course she needs to be talented, but we already have a lot of talent who don’t apply themselves.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Transfer fees are tricky to judge. You can go for a player like Hazard that was performing so well with Chelsea, then Real Madrid got him and he flopped. You can never be sure about what will happen. Then you have cases of when Real Madrid got rid of Robben and Sneijder. Never in a million years would they have imagined that they would become such important players to the club they sold them to.

Antony for 100m euro? Yes, very expensive and at his current development level he's not worth that much. Antony with a couple of years experience playing for us and starting to produce the kind of numbers of Salah or Mane? Then definitely in 2 years time we would be saying it was money well spent. He could also flop but you will never know until he tries. Salah went from scoring 5 goals a season in the swiss league to being bang average for Chelsea, then scoring 15 goals a season for Roma and finally transitioning to 35 goals a season for Liverpool.

We have to choose. Do we want to trust the manager? Do we want the manager to get his 1st pick?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not as desperate as Manchester United are. Thats why the fee will be so high.

The fixation on transfer fees is crazy for what its worth.
Well, just to be clear, I'm not exactly fixated on the fee, I was just thinking that since the player has clearly shown that he wants out to the point of missing training, I thought that could maybe give us some wiggle room. The only real issue I have with spending massive amounts of money on a single player is that it takes money away from other positions. People seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of that, and think anyone who brings up transfer fees is somehow worried about the Glazers' bank account. Which is clearly not true.

But ultimately, as long as we get players in, I obviously don't give a shite how much it costs.

PoTMS

€100m and he could easily end up a Pepe or Sancho when we have much more pressing concerns. We just don't learn apparently and neither do the fans. Muppets just wanna muppet.

Judas

Open to offers
€100m and he could easily end up a Pepe or Sancho when we have much more pressing concerns. We just don't learn apparently and neither do the fans. Muppets just wanna muppet.
It is a pressing concern, a massive one. We need more talent like him desperately. The price is a madness, but it is simply what it is.

Godfather

What are our more pressing concerns then? Would say a RW is top on the list. We don't create and we can't score for shit. We have an underperforming Rashford playing week in week out for.

Get this guy no matter what

red thru&thru

A lot of money that. Puts big pressure on him to hit the ground running too.

What we need though is a player coming in who’s willing to work like a mad man and I believe that’s what he can do. Of course she needs to be talented, but we already have a lot of talent who don’t apply themselves.
This is my biggest worry, the pressure of the price tag. In terms of ability, I think he has got what it takes to succeed.

NLunited

He is not a striker, but a winger who does a lot of defensive work. Why the sole focus on goals and assists?

There is a good video somewhere in this thread.

No doubt he can improve, but his stats are a manager's dream.

jamesjimmybyrondean

No. He’s worth what Ajax want to sell and we’re willing to pay. Your argument is basically we’ve signed players for lots before who haven’t been good enough - what are we doing signing more. It’s ridiculous. Let’s just stop signing players shall we? All pack up and go home. He’s quite clearly a very good footballer. I don’t give two fecks about goals and assists at this stage - he’s 22 and anyone with eyes can see within 5 minutes of watching him he’s an incredibly gifted player. Only Manchester United fans moan about signing good players. Casemiro is too old. Antony is too unproven. Let’s sign Zakaria and Ziyech instead and win the value contest.

And? Haller has better stats too. Not the same age. Not the same roles. What’s your point? Boiling down a players worth to G/A is so incredibly basic I don’t know how to respond.
You're talking nonsense mate. I've never even brought up Antony's G/A once in this thread so I don't know where you came up with that. Theres absolutely no reason Antony is worth 100m and there's more reason to believe he would end up like the likes of Ziyech and his other Eredvisie mates that flopped in the pl.

Widow

There isn't an ever-replenishing money pool, with anything we don't spend at the end of every transfer window going into the owner's pockets.
I was speaking loosely but it isn't far from the truth. Dividends are a portion of a company’s profit that it chooses to return to its shareholders, spend less, more profit, more payout. Again, this is loosely speaking.

If we overspend on Antony by 50m, our future spending in this and subsequent transfer windows is then restricted by an extra 50m. That's why people care about how much we spend, it comes with opportunity cost.
Not necessarily. The majority of transfers are calculated in periods of five years rolling.

Let’s assume we buy a player for a transfer fee of £20 million (including agents fees etc).

The player signs a 5-year contract for £75,000 a week.

What does that do to our profit and loss account?

The £20 million purchase fee is spread over the length of the contract, so over a 5-year period (assuming the player stays), we add £4 million to the amortisation costs on the profit and loss account each year.

The player is on £75,000 a week. Ignoring any bonuses which would also be added to the cost, the wage bill increases by £3.9 million a year (£75k x 52).

Therefore the annual cost of buying this player is £7.9 million a year – our profit reduces, or our losses increase by this amount each year for 5 years.

This said, the budgets change yearly as wages increase/decrease and players come and go. A 100m fee with 200k a week wages would translate to around 31m a year. How much a year have we just saved on the players leaving? Can we say 700'00 a week? This translates to around 36.5 million a year. Again, this is loosely explained but Antony bought at around these figures would not use any 'transfer budget' so to speak.

It may well be be that that money is still better spent on Antony, even with that in mind. And if we're going to overspend I certainly prefer we do it on our manager's first choice targets.
He is EtH first choice target, for that role at least.

But the "why do people care what we spend?" argument has always been very silly.
Not really. Obsessing about 'we've spent to much' in one sentence then 'why can't the owner just spend what we need' in another is just silly.

Anyway, it's personal opinion and I respect yours.

EDIT: I don't think he is worth 100m (I'm no football finance expert, just a humble lawyer), I do think he is a good player and one that I would like to see in a United shirt.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
You're talking nonsense mate. I've never even brought up Antony's G/A once in this thread so I don't know where you came up with that. Theres absolutely no reason Antony is worth 100m and there's more reason to believe he would end up like the likes of Ziyech and his other Eredvisie mates that flopped in the pl.
Sorry why is there more reason? Explain. What skills does Antony lack. Instead of bringing up past examples why don’t you actually talk about the individual player. Why will he fail in your expert opinion?

BorisManUtd

Antony's value according to Transfermarkt is €35M. Seems insane that Ajax are demanding €100M when the player is going on strike to try to force a move.

I would suggest the club not pay this ransom price.
Ajax fans (at least those on Twitter) can't believe they're going to get 100M for Antony. We're overpaying yet again. Could get both an attacker (RW/ST) and another midfielder for that money.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ajax protecting him from injury is the best sign there is after almost completely losing hope in beginning of August.

Status
Not open for further replies.