Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw

---------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------------

---Me Gusta-------CL Varane-------------Lil'Sandro Martinez----------Malacia

---------------------------Frenkie----------------Casemiro----------------------------

------------------------------------------Eriksen----------------------------------------------

---Antony---------------------------Martial--------------------------------Sancho----------
That midfield man, want it to happen so bad :drool:

JanK

Supports
Napoli
'We need to invest' doesn't equal 'just pay large sums of money for any player' in my dictionary. And you're second sentence, why would prefer overpaying for players that haven't proven anything yet at PL levels and don't even show remarkable statistics in the Eredivisie? I just don't get that type of reasoning. For some here the nearing deadline of the transfer window brings an inexplicable 'just buy something at any price' mentality. I just don't believe in that nonsense.
Because I trust the process. I trust ETH and... we actually have money to spend.

If we have previously been able to spend a billion and achieving only 2nd place in the league and reaching EL final, then I am certain another billion (wisely spent) brings us more than the last billion invested.

The difference is that we are buying players who make the team and blend in the system, the system which has the potential to be as good as Pep's or Klopp's system. And again, it's not our money so don't worry. And we all want to see only these buys which would be amazing bargains (Ronaldo from Sporting, Vidic, Evra, Carrick etc) but this window we cannot. We lack the structure, no DOF and stupid, disinterested owners who want to sell.

When we have the structure, the DOF and passionate owners, then we can talk about this topic once again. Then we can plan further ahead because there are competent people in charge and we have things set. Currently we don't have so I'd rather see quick investments/buys (whatever term you see fit) than be disappointed to see us paying for specific players the money.

Is Antony worth 80 mil? No.
Was Martinez worth 45 mil? No.

But... are they very necessary pieces of puzzle in ETH system and will help us speed up the transition under a new coach, implementing new processes faster and smoother? Yes.
Are they players who, if can adapt, play for United for 5-6 years and even more? Yes.

United has done things wrong since 2006, now they are doing things wrong but moving in the right direction. Soon we will get things right and moving even quicker in the right direction. So I'd recommend you relax more and focus on placing your energy where it brings the most value to you and others. Just keep your head up, protest against the owners and take one for the team and give a helping hand for making the painful change.

Matt851

Good job they have CL football eh?

Now this 5head manager can stop moaning, sell us Antony and be happy.

I hope we don't have to deal with Ajax for a little while now.
We don't actually have to deal with them now, it's just our ability to identify players is pathetic

cyberman

Because players want to be in the CL and we're not in the CL.
Not sure that’s true outside of teams who have a chance of winning it hence it only being the manager saying this and the player himself desperate for a move.
The quality we have signed while not qualifying for the CL the year before is outrageous

Matt851

Because I trust the process. I trust ETH and... we actually have money to spend.

If we have previously been able to spend a billion and achieving only 2nd place in the league and reaching EL final, then I am certain another billion (wisely spent) brings us more than the last billion invested.

The difference is that we are buying players who make the team and blend in the system, the system which has the potential to be as good as Pep's or Klopp's system. And again, it's not our money so don't worry. And we all want to see only these buys which would be amazing bargains (Ronaldo from Sporting, Vidic, Evra, Carrick etc) but this window we cannot. We lack the structure, no DOF and stupid, disinterested owners who want to sell.

When we have the structure, the DOF and passionate owners, then we can talk about this topic once again. Then we can plan further ahead because there are competent people in charge and we have things set. Currently we don't have so I'd rather see quick investments/buys (whatever term you see fit) than be disappointed to see us paying for specific players the money.

Is Antony worth 80 mil? No.
Was Martinez worth 45 mil? No.

But... are they very necessary pieces of puzzle in ETH system and will help us speed up the transition under a new coach, implementing new processes faster and smoother? Yes.
Are they players who, if can adapt, play for United for 5-6 years and even more? Yes.

United has done things wrong since 2006, now they are doing things wrong but moving in the right direction. Soon we will get things right and moving even quicker in the right direction. So I'd recommend you relax more and focus on placing your energy where it brings the most value to you and others. Just keep your head up, protest against the owners and take one for the team and give a helping hand for making the painful change.
There is literally zero evidence we will soon start getting things right and a lot of evidence the people who would need to do that are outright incompetent

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We don't actually have to deal with them now, it's just our ability to identify players is pathetic
What other top young left footed RW's are there? cant think of many tbh.

Antony looks an excellent prospect, he is exciting which is what football for me is all about.

I couldn't care less if we scrape 30x 1-0 wins together if it's not entertaining.

the_cliff

Someone needs to tell this manager that Casemiro just won the champions League and still came to play in Europa :devil:

AmanNits04

I really think you’re missing some key points here.

About chance of winning UL.
Man Utd is rock bottom with 2 big losses and with liverpool as next contender. I’d say it would be unexpected if Man Utd will leave the last position. So how could you foresee a win of the UL?!

Ajax might not reach the UCL knockout phase.
If you state that Man Utd could win the UL, then how could you not foresee Ajax reaching the knockout phase while it is situated in bowl 1?!
And lets say íf they unfortunately would not reach the UCL knockout phase, why would Ajax only have eredivisie matches? What about decending to the UL? Or do you really expect Ajax to become the last in the UCL pool? That would definitely be surprising to me.

Ajax can offer proper contracts as well as it is a financially very healthy club. Besides that the prospect will be that if Antony stays a year at Ajax, plays the WC and transferes next year he still would be able to get that proper salary and maybe even in a PL-club playing bowl-1 UCL.

About Ajax demanding 100m euro.
That is the demand, but it is not offered. 80m +bonus is something different. Again, Ajax does not really want to sell Antony. Plus they need to pay 20% to sao paulo of the transfer fee, so even if it is a huge amount, if he stays it probably is merely a delay of transfer fee to next year
If a players want to move to a club, winning one match or losing one match rarely makes a difference to the players decision. Also, thr league is 38 games long, sure we might lose to Pool tomorrow or lose the next two as well. There would still be 33 matches in the league and a shot to win EL. Any thing can happen from now until next year May.
Also, we don't have a problem with Ajax demanding huge money for him, he is their player, under contract, they could ask for 1 billion pounds for him if they want, and it's Upto United to decide whether they deem this player necessary enough to pay the money. What's annoying most of us is the manager of Ajax repetitively mentioning that Ajax are in the CL and United are not. As If, that alone will make Antony decide whether he wants to move or not.
I doubt any player who wants a transfer has such short-sightedness.

Nights

There's a world cup coming up and what if he doesn't perform on the right in a more competitive league with a 100 million price tag hanging over his head, with competition competing with Sancho?
Sancho will move to the left to accomodate Antony (Sancho’s better there anyways).

Coming to United will actually strengthen his chance of getting picked for the NT given we’ll essentially be fielding Tite’s first choice midfield who he’ll be able to play and gel with week in week out.

AmanNits04

Not sure that’s true outside of teams who have a chance of winning it hence it only being the manager saying this and the player himself desperate for a move.
The quality we have signed while not qualifying for the CL the year before is outrageous
Exactly, in a rare scenario do players actually decide whether being in CL is a make or break factor for them. In this case, Antony actually wants to come to United yet their manager keeps mentioning that United is not in CL

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I like Nkunku, but he's a different profile to Antony. I could see him being very high on our list for CF next summer, providing he has another good season.
Oh yeah, I get different position, just that money seemed to be one of the issues when he was rumoured to be a consideration before but now the Glazers have reopened the bank, that is no longer (apparently) a problem.

Guessing Erik wants Antony so he can play Sancho Martial Antony (with Rashford as cover for a couple of positions).

100m still way too much but not my money?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
---------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------------

---------------------------Frenkie----------------Casemiro----------------------------

------------------------------------------Eriksen----------------------------------------------

---Antony---------------------------Martial--------------------------------Sancho----------
Dave looks wrong in this set-up. Great servant etc, but we need a modern keeper, because, pressing.

fps

OK I want him. I’ve never seen him play but I’d like a shiny new right wing, make it happen.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
There is literally zero evidence we will soon start getting things right and a lot of evidence the people who would need to do that are outright incompetent
Sure we are. We need to get rid of the owners and their servants.

Superunknown

That team. :drool:
Only thing that looks out of place is Martial up top. Could prove me wrong, but that's crying out for a new, exciting, high-scoring forward.

(debatable about whether De Gea fits in with this, too. I love the guy though so I don't want to hate on him)

Fox outside the box

Who says they're spending £320m net? They also have CL revenue this season and you don't. Plus arguably a few much more sellable assets to balance the books.

That may be the case, but surely there are limits on what you can spend especially without CL football at the moment. Your net spend is already about £50m and the players mentioned would surely cost another £200m at least, plus I'm not hearing of any potential major departures apart from possibly Garner.

Huh?

£80m for Maguire + £45m for AWB + £15 for James - £75m received for Lukaku = £65m net spend.

Plus the Bruno transfer obviously in January but still nowhere near. This would be an unprecedented level of spending for United - which arguably needs to happen but seems A) unlikely at this stage of a window B) unlikely with these owners and C) unlikely given you're in the Europa League.
'Unprecedented" is a bit of an exaggeration. We spent over £200 that year and you can discount the Lukaku money but last I knew, Inter still actually owed us a good chunk of that and it certainly wasn't received in that year. So it's hardly been money in the bank.

We've exceeded 150 something like 4 or 5 times in what? The last 10 windows?

We can't be beaten with the stick that we've spent almost as much as City and aren't near them whilst also being beaten with a stick saying that we can't or don't spend money. I don't expect we'll end up with £320 net but you also have to be mindful of the disingenuous way a lot of transfers are reported.

Like Antony, I've seen a lot of people acting like we will slap down £100 mill in cash. We won't. Journalists are very sly with flicking between euros and sterling - like I often see Nunez's fee quoted as the base fee and in sterling. Of course the Antony fee is being quoted as the top end of whatever package, whilst also being in euros.

If we ended up agreeing something like €70 + €20 then that's £59 + £16. Considering we've spent in the region of £128 so far, that still brings us to less than £200 and that's without the fact we seem to have shit the bed and panicked into backing the manager seemingly more than we ever have before. We'll have some sales and wages shifted as well.

Maybe you're right, maybe we don't spend all too much more but it isn't insane to think we'll push past £200 and that's without the tin foil hat, in which some may think that we are reviewing the idea of selling a minority stake etc and that part of this is considered as part of the rebuild we clearly need.

None of us really know, we use high level, over simplified figures and a complete lack of experience in this area to try and draw our own conclusions.

We are seemingly set on spending a decent amount more money. Whether that happens or not I don't know but hitting around £200 million in outgoings isn't exactly an outlandish suggestion. We spent close to that in Jose's second year as well I think and as I said, I think we seem to be shitting the bed more than we have before and have clearly had windows that were impacted by misguided confidence/arrogance more than an inability to spend.

Kingslayer18

Knew it! And I bet we still want Frenkie and a top RB plus Sommer. We go for it!

If we're targetting another forward after Antony, why go for Gakpo who's a LW. I'd rather we look at Joao Pedro of Watford. He's 20, with bags of potential, already has EPL experience and can play right across the forward line but essentially he replaces Greenwood in the squad as the striker for the long term.

Becks00

OK I want him. I’ve never seen him play but I’d like a shiny new right wing, make it happen.
Yes, on it Sir. We were awaiting your approval before finalizing the transfer, would route this straight away to Murtourgh for execution.

Cypriot

To be fair to him. Ajax is a big club and it seems he's frustrated that they've become a selling one. He's correct in stating that if Ajax want to get back to former glory, they can't be selling every top player they create - even if it is silly money.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
To be fair to him. Ajax is a big club and it seems he's frustrated that they've become a selling one. He's correct in stating that if Ajax want to get back to former glory, they can't be selling every top player they create - even if it is silly money.
They've been a selling club for the last two decades, though. He should've known that was the case when he took the job. ETH regularly lost his best players every summer and coped.

The problem with Antony is that they've already sold loads of their best players this summer and don't need the money, therefore have no need to sell him right now. Getting Ziyech back however will probably negate his loss somewhat.

Superunknown

They've been a selling club for the last two decades, though. He should've known that was the case when he took the job. ETH regularly lost his best players every summer and coped.
Whilst that's true, the only way to make better long-term progress in the league, Champions League and so on is to keep your better players.

But then, I guess it depends on what the priorities are with the club. They've won the last 3 or 4 (I think) Eredivisie titles, so if their board considers that their number one priority - to keep winning the league - then I guess it's about having a sensible balance between keeping the core of the team the same whilst also cashing in with a few players at the right time. Gutting the squad season after season must be soul destroying at times. If their priority is more than just winning the league, but winning the Champions League, then they're going to have to be really, really brave and say no to selling their players. The major downside of that is that you may upset your squad who want to have some say in where their future is, and when they can move. I sympathise.

Chief123

His quotes remind me of people playing Fifa on beginner level and boasting they slapped the CPU 7-0.

If Utd played in the farmers league, we’d be in the UCL every season too as champions.

Chief123

Whilst that's true, the only way to make better long-term progress in the league, Champions League and so on is to keep your better players.

But then, I guess it depends on what the priorities are with the club. They've won the last 3 or 4 (I think) Eredivisie titles, so if their board considers that their number one priority - to keep winning the league - then I guess it's about having a sensible balance between keeping the core of the team the same whilst also cashing in with a few players at the right time. Gutting the squad season after season must be soul destroying at times. If their priority is more than just winning the league, but winning the Champions League, then they're going to have to be really, really brave and say no to selling their players. The major downside of that is that you may upset your squad who want to have some say in where their future is, and when they can move. I sympathise.
If Ajax changed their model to start keeping their players and resisting any offers, they wouldn’t be half the team they are. Players just wouldn’t be signing for them due to the weaker quality of the league. The biggest reason Ajax are able to build good teams is based on acquiring players with the notion they can build their name in the game and have the opportunity to go bigger and better things.

Antony would probably never have signed for them if he knew Ajax would one day block a move he desires by our pricing him to a ridiculous fee.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Why is there an obsession to mention CL again and again.
Because it's key for why Ajax wants him to stay... In the Eredivisie there are plenty of other options who are good enough to win us matches.. We nééd Antony because he has that special thing, which can be crucial for us how far we will get in the CL, whether we can survive group stages.. Last year he had 6 assists and 2 goals in the CL group stages, which was crucial for why we did so well.. Haller got a lot of attention with the amount of goals, but it was for a large extent due to him pissing in Antony's pre-work.

But anyway.. The reason Schreuder mentions it, is because its the key reason we dont want to lose Antony.

Speako

If they've spoken to Ziyech, and that move is good to go, then this is done and dusted.

redshaw

Someone from South America is usually looking to make it big in La Liga or EPL. Playing in the Premier League for a big club is enough attraction. He's 22 and won a couple of league titles there. It's a good time for him to move on and realize his potential.

Superunknown

If Ajax changed their model to start keeping their players and resisting any offers, they wouldn’t be half the team they are. Players just wouldn’t be signing for them due to the weaker quality of the league. The biggest reason Ajax are able to build good teams is based on acquiring players with the notion they can build their name in the game and have the opportunity to go bigger and better things.

Antony would probably never have signed for them if he knew Ajax would one day block a move he desires by our pricing him to a ridiculous fee.
That is definitely another factor worth considering, and there is a lot of truth in what you say. At the moment, the way Ajax are doing things is working out well enough in the sense that they're financially doing well (I think, without looking into it in depth), they're attracting young talent who then go on to other top clubs, and they're very competitive in their league. They could just...leave it as it is right now, and I think they would be absolutely fine. It just depends what their aspirations are and if they want more than what they have right now.

They do also need to be careful that they don't tip that balance and sell off too many of their best players, which I guess is what their manager is saying. It's a fair point and I understand what he's saying. However, I still think he'll come and Ajax will receive a huge fee.

Bokito

I don't want to doubt his quality, but:
- If I didn't mentioned a name, and just said: a winger from the top team in the Eredivisie, who scored 4 and assisted 8 times in that league, I don't think a lot of people would be willing to dish out this amount of money;
- a few years ago, Ajax had a sensational winger, and refused a 50M€ offer. That was David Neres, who pretty much collapsed after that. Not saying that that will happen with Antony, but how many attackers from the Eredivisie truly made an impact in the EPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.