Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
Welcome to the forum mate :D

Must be tiresome to lose so many good plyers like you guys have had but still you bounce back strong!

Ajax are world class when it comes to bringing fourth talents, you guys are the ultimate talent factory and your scouts are mint! (mind borrowing some to us?)

Ziyech back to Ajax would be a good move.

How good do you think Antony would do it in the prem?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Losing players every year used to be really really tiresome when our key players left really young. They would even go to small clubs for small fees but in the past few years I can live with it quite well. It's only normal that after 3 years of Fortuna Sittard away they want to compete with the best on a weekly basis. To be honest; I think it's nicer to support a team like Ajax then to support Real Madrid where a season fails without a title and at least the semifinals of the CL. Or supporting an oil club or a club getting sucked dry by the owners. So no complaints here. These are the good times.

Ziyech to Ajax would be a GREAT move. In my 25years of being an Ajax supporter he is on the same level as Litmanen and Bergkamp (at Ajax mind you). Well above Suarez, Zlatan, Eriksen, FDJ, De Ligt and even Sneijder

Antony could be a sensation in the PL but coming in at a 100m price tag in a toxic environment, in a poor team and being ETH purchase will be too much I fear. Also missed the complete preseason.. If he moved to, say, Arsenal for 50m in June it would be far better for him. Look at Richarlison; he started at Watford as one of the many signings of that season and he managed to level up. Antony goes to the biggest club (attention wise) with 6 ex players looking for likes and headlines every day.. All these tabloids who would love writing him off.. Even if he does it half decent in his first season it won't be enough.. 'Only 8 goals and 5 assists for a 100m.. what a waste'

Last edited:

thisISben

I know it’s been this way for a while but what happened to not approaching a player before the clubs agreed a fee? Is that not ‘tapping up’?

I understand you’d want to know whether the player would actually join if a fee is agreed but already having the contract terms sorted?

thisISben

Question for any Ajax fans, how does Antony compare with Kluivert? In terms of quality at the time he left Ajax.

I remember the hype around that guy, and he was linked United especially when Mourinho was chatting to him after the Europa League win.

Fair to say he’s been a disappointment since leaving Ajax.

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
Question for any Ajax fans, how does Antony compare with Kluivert? In terms of quality at the time he left Ajax.

I remember the hype around that guy, and he was linked United especially when Mourinho was chatting to him after the Europa League win.

Justin Kluivert was never really rated and no one here really expected him to do great things and felt he left way too early. And that is coming from a fanbase that loves to overhype a player.

Out of ten if Kluivert was a 4 I would rate Antony an 8. Different class.

If it is good enough for the PL I am unsure. He has insane peaks but is quite one dimensional and really lacks consistency. It is great for YouTube highlights but to perform week in week out at highest level is a different story. Potentially yes.

However I don't have doubts about Ten Hag. He knows what he wants how he wants it and what needs to be done. And is stubborn. Which is what Ajax board also knows and could just drive up the price. United was always coming back.

But in the end I have more trust in Ten Hags football knowledge than my own so guess it should work out?

Although without a proactive ball playing keeper who dominates his box nothing matters anyway no matter how many players you end up buying.

Last edited:

Tiber

I don't claim to have watched Ajax a lot, but looking at his stats I just don't get it - maybe for half the price it would make quite a lot sense.

Has he been terrorising the other team in some sort of way that isn't reflected in goals and assists?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I know it’s been this way for a while but what happened to not approaching a player before the clubs agreed a fee? Is that not ‘tapping up’?

I understand you’d want to know whether the player would actually join if a fee is agreed but already having the contract terms sorted?
Almost every transfer has personal terms agreed first, before a fee is agreed. It's all done through intermediaries. "Tapping up" is when contact is made directly with the player without the club's permission.

Lee565

Eth has to deliver considering he is greenlighting these crazy fees for martinez and Antony, if he does not get ucl one way or another after these risky splurges on Dutch league players then he deserves the skepticism that would come his way

HookedOnAPhelan

Eth has to deliver considering he is greenlighting these crazy fees for martinez and Antony, if he does not get ucl one way or another after these risky splurges on Dutch league players then he deserves the skepticism that would come his way
Given the state of our team we should be happy if he can keep us in the Premier League.

Drz

Oh even if he spend didly squat the knives would still be out.

Lynty

I don't claim to have watched Ajax a lot, but looking at his stats I just don't get it - maybe for half the price it would make quite a lot sense.

Has he been terrorising the other team in some sort of way that isn't reflected in goals and assists?
I don't wactch Ajax either and didn't get it looking at the stats. But looks very much a raw dribbling talent akin to Saint-Max. So just a downright nuisance.

If he's not effective, he'll be entertaining.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order

General concensus is that he left too early. He was always highly rated and not just because of his name. Antony is far better now than he was back then, but Kluivert was much younger then. No telling how he would have developed if he had stayed like his dad told him to. Patrick's ex-wife, Justin's mother, really pushed for the deal, she's a known gold digger.

The main problem was Haller imo. He was so wasteful with good chances in 1-on-1s. Situations where all he had to do was putting it into the back of the net, but ended up booting them into the stands. IIRC Tadic also declined somewhat in assists and he's been the MVP ever since he signed. If Haller had more composure he could have competed for the golden boot last season and broken the league record for most goals scored by a single player as well as by the team.

Ajax was that dominant in the attack, and one of two main reasons of that was Antony.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Well said. As a fellow Ajax fan I agree with your point of view. At the quoted prices and Ziyech as his replacement, we have to do this. I would be surprised if this doesn't happen. Ajax and Chelsea not being able to agree terms could be a dealbreaker. I'm pretty sure Ajax and United will find an agreement somewhere this week if Ajax can sign Ziyech.
As a PSV fan i also agree on both of your posts. Anthony is good, but not 100 mln good. For that money, you expect a player to make a difference every week, and Anthony is not going to deliver that.

The swap Anthony - Ziyech (+60 mln), will pop some bottles in Amsterdam i expect…..

DSG

Blown away at the amounts being reported.

after doing some more digging, I’m not sure Antony is worth 100m. Sancho’s productivity was significantly higher in a better league, was younger and we paid less.

For me, after bring in Casemiro, our biggest need is at RB. Watching Saint Maximin tie Kyle Walker, John Stones and Dias in knots has me very nervous with Dalot so awful defensively. Even mid table teams have real quality at LW in the PL.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think for 40,830,488,690 Hungarian florints he’s an absolute bargain. Sign him up Woodward!

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
The swap Anthony - Ziyech (+60 mln), will pop some bottles in Amsterdam i expect…..
Even if we can't get him on a permanent a loan would still work (and much cheaper) provided Conceição adjusts well enough to take over next year.

Tiber

General concensus is that he left too early. He was always highly rated and not just because of his name. Antony is far better now than he was back then, but Kluivert was much younger then. No telling how he would have developed if he had stayed like his dad told him to. Patrick's ex-wife, Justin's mother, really pushed for the deal, she's a known gold digger.

The main problem was Haller imo. He was so wasteful with good chances in 1-on-1s. Situations where all he had to do was putting it into the back of the net, but ended up booting them into the stands. IIRC Tadic also declined somewhat in assists and he's been the MVP ever since he signed. If Haller had more composure he could have competed for the golden boot last season and broken the league record for most goals scored by a single player as well as by the team.

Ajax was that dominant in the attack, and one of two main reasons of that was Antony.
I hope I'm wrong. But at the moment im a bit underhwlemed by the idea of spending the guts of 150m on Antony and Martinez

jameyzane

Jesus Christ. Give your head a wobble. UCL?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Overpaying him by about 25m but that's what happens when you wait till the end. Do we have any alternatives ? Olise is one and isn't coming cheap either. Danjuma, Gakpo are left sided forwards. We could have tried Ziyech but that would be underwhelming. Asensio, Sarr all are average players.

Reality is, we don't have an realistic alternative signing . So the option is , don't sign anyone or get someone in to help us now.

Rolaholic

Annoyed??

They should be building him a fecking statue for getting them 150m for 2 of their stars this summer honestly :lol:

Not to mentioned they'll get a proper replacement in Ziyech no matter how 'late' they're selling him.

It's only 'late' because they kept refusing massive bids over the summer even when the player made his intentions known.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax

Not compareable at all mate. Antony is regarded way way better. Kluivert left too early which hindered his development as well, Antony is ready for the next step.

dinostar77

Like others concerned about the size of the fee and the actual potential of the player. Pace wise very similar to Sancho, which to me seems a mistake. Having a winger who is a balistic missile on a wing and a tricky skillful winger on the other seems better to me but what do i know?

So we will have two inverted wingers who like to cut inside, and are reliant on their fullbacks to overlap to provide space to cut inside. I know that provides symmetry, but is that really for the best?

Anyway, for the price im expecting him to become peak Robben/Ribery level winger. Anything less at that price will be a flop.

Waynne

As in qualifying for it, I presume. Which is what he should be doing.
Be realistic. Its not happening this season.
We'll be lucky to even make top 6.
There's still big problems that need to be addressed in this squad and you can't do it all in one window.
This unrealistic expectations for overnight success is just borderline crazy.
One more loss and you lot will be calling for his head.
Unbelievable.

TheReligion

Abusive
Like others concerned about the size of the fee and the actual potential of the player. Pace wise very similar to Sancho, which to me seems a mistake. Having a winger who is a balistic missile on a wing and a tricky skillful winger on the other seems better to me but what do i know?

So we will have two inverted wingers who like to cut inside, and are reliant on their fullbacks to overlap to provide space to cut inside. I know that provides symmetry, but is that really for the best?

Anyway, for the price im expecting him to become peak Robben/Ribery level winger. Anything less at that price will be a flop.
Very little

Bloedrood

Can't compare Justin Kluivert to Antony, he left Ajax way too early, was just 19 years old when he left. Even his own father Patrick advised him to stay at Ajax, said he's struggle. Justin looked good for a 19 year old, showed potential, but definitely wasn't one of the best players of Ajax yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.