Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
fecking hell you can let one go every now and again you know
Nope, you will then claim that I haven't been monitoring you for ages.

Edit: To be clear I wasn't taking your post seriously.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It seems Antony works very hard off the ball so he's hardly a lazy oaf himself. What he would need is an attacking RB who can genuinely be a threat as opposed to rubbish players like Dalot and AWB
It’s not necessarily the hard work either though, it’s when things don’t come off and the fans get right on their back. Neither Ronaldo or Nani were lazy.

HookedOnAPhelan

Dramatic?

I said I haven't seen a transfer tweet and people are still going on about him

That's dramatic? Do one you fairy if you think that's dramatic (fyi that's me being dramatic)

People like you and mr correction police are everything that's wrong with this forum, rather than trying to help you spend your time shooting people down.
:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Dramatic?

That's dramatic? Do one you fairy if you think that's dramatic (fyi that's me being dramatic)

People like you and mr correction police are everything that's wrong with this forum, rather than trying to help you spend your time shooting people down.
:lol:

Houdini

Fast, skilled, good cross. Overmotivatid, fragile and complains a lot. Not sure if he is suited for PL. Maybe for La Liga.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dramatic?

:lol: How did I ever think you were being dramatic. That was just crazy talk.

Keyser

Dramatic?

You think the poster has magical powers, or a penchant for trickery?

"The label of fairy has at times applied only to specific magical creatures with human appearance, magical powers, and a penchant for trickery."

NoPace

Agree with this. We don't have anyone in the squad who's happy to stretch teams on the right hand side and we haven't for a long time.

I also don't think we should place much value on versatility, particularly with players in other leagues. What seems to happen is they come to the PL and we find that there is actually one position where they are markedly better - in our case that usually ends up being the left wing!
Yeah, he'd be a proper RW who hugs the touchline. This may come back to haunt me, but I think Amad can do a lot of what he does in terms linking up well and playmaking from the right touchline, and neither project as big-time goal scorers so maybe a little redundancy there.

But adding Antony wide right and De Jong as a DM leaves us only probably a left-footed CB and probably one fullback (then Shaw or Dalot having a strong season) away from having a first XI that can actually play possession football. The space he leaves open for the RB and for Bruno and/or VDB would help a lot, and he comes deep and wide so he's more often available for a pass than most wingers, though that means he's too far from the box to score a ton himself.

Does look like he'd get kicked a ton and might hate it. On the other hand he presses really hard for a winger, and we need to get the team going in that regard. Cristiano would probably love him though that's a 1 or 2 year concern at most, though I imagine Ten Hag is desperate to get a top 4 spot and make it easier to buy players next summer.

themanguydude

I remember the abuse young Ronaldo and Nani used to get. It’s mad because United fans have a reputation for loving genius type players, but the reality is that on the whole the fan base want 11 Ji Sung Parks.
A team with 10 Park and 1 Ronaldo is significantly better than one with 10 Ronaldo and 1 Park

Gurtej

Anyone actually watched him play? If so, two questions:

1) in ETH system, will he perform better than our current options of playing either Elenga or Rashford or Sancho on right wing?
2) After seeing Silva and Bernardo Silva, height and weight isn’t an issue!! But who you would compare him to in PL!!

Remember the geese

Anyone actually watched him play? If so, two questions:

1) in ETH system, will he perform better than our current options of playing either Elenga or Rashford or Sancho on right wing?
2) After seeing Silva and Bernardo Silva, height and weight isn’t an issue!! But who you would compare him to in PL!!
1) Yes he would. Unlike the others, it is his natural side. Sancho would be perfectly fine there, but is better suited to the left.

2) I can't really think of anyone presently, but like others have said, he is a bit like Nani. Maybe he has a bit of Mahrez about him, but with the attitude/shithousery of Richarlison.

Pickle85

I remember the abuse young Ronaldo and Nani used to get. It’s mad because United fans have a reputation for loving genius type players, but the reality is that on the whole the fan base want 11 Ji Sung Parks.
How many pogbas?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Not seen a transfer related tweet in this thread for about ten seconds, and yet people are still going on about him :confused:

Matt851

:lol: How did I ever think you were being dramatic. That was just crazy talk.
So what? It doesn't mean anything. Should City have not bothered with De Bruyne because ex-Wolfsburg players didn't have a record of tearing up world football?
Barca fans love De Jong and think he is great, so does Juve fans re De Ligt, I wonder where you are getting they've been "meh" from, you could have said VDB.
Not sure I would agree barca fans love de jong. Undoubtedly there are reasons for why he hasn't excelled but he still hasn't. De ligt had a good season this year but struggled before

The fact is every top player who left ajax during ETHs tenure struggled on leaving, so it's fair to query whether others will do the same even if this may not be the case. Could be because the league is quite weak and ajax are so dominant and have a very well defined setup.

Hopefully ETH would enable them to settle in quickly if we do sign anyone

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
There's a lot to like about Antony however, I feel like if we sign him, it'll take at least a year and a half for him to become a key player on the team. He'll need to get use to the league and develop his skillset more as a player. As much joga bonito as there is in his highlight reels, he seems quite predictable in a sense. Never really uses the outside option, always cutting in. Also, I wish he attacked his defenders more aggressively. Ideally we want a player that requires a double team to stop.
Lastly, unless ETH can work a miracle with Dalot, we need to sign a top level attacking right back to accompany Antony, he seems to need it even more than Sancho does.

Reactions: Cheimoon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not sure I would agree barca fans love de jong. Undoubtedly there are reasons for why he hasn't excelled but he still hasn't. De ligt had a good season this year but struggled before

The fact is every top player who left ajax during ETHs tenure struggled on leaving, so it's fair to query whether others will do the same even if this may not be the case. Could be because the league is quite weak and ajax are so dominant and have a very well defined setup.

Hopefully ETH would enable them to settle in quickly if we do sign anyone
I don't think that fact is matter since our manager is ETH. I don't know if you have read this other fact about ETH tends to sign former players posted by someone in ETH's thread month ago from reddit that FC Utrecht fan predicted what ETH would bring to Man United and one of them was bringing back his former players, which what he did at FC Utrecht. And those players perform very well at FC Utrecht. However, after ETH left, those same players end up being flop and sold or loaned out to lower division. So I don't think it matters if the players are struggling playing with different manager but performing under ten Hag. As long as they fit our manager's system is what matter more.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There's a lot to like about Antony however, I feel like if we sign him, it'll take at least a year and a half for him to become a key player on the team. He'll need to get use to the league and develop his skillset more as a player. As much joga bonito as there is in his highlight reels, he seems quite predictable in a sense. Never really uses the outside option, always cutting in. Also, I wish he attacked his defenders more aggressively. Ideally we want a player that requires a double team to stop.
Lastly, unless ETH can work a miracle with Dalot, we need to sign a top level attacking right back to accompany Antony, he seems to need it even more than Sancho does.
Like almost all world class inverted wingers

JPRouve

Scout
Funnily enough people criticize players for doing that when they are actually doing the correct thing. Unless the left fullback is right sided, Antony should avoid to dribble toward his opponent dominant foot and his own weaker foot, he puts himself at a disadvantage, especially if there is limited space wide, that's why inverted forwards work better with wide overlaps, it can be from a central midfielder or a fullback but the threat needs to exist.

croadyman

Unproven at top level and one good season with Benfica isnt enough to get excited about him and to spend so much on him. Id rather spend the same amount and FDJ in.
Yeah think we need to give the drama queens in that thread an ultimatum. Do you want De Jong/Nunez for that figure and no both isn't an option.

sparx99

Funnily enough people criticize players for doing that when they are actually doing the correct thing. Unless the left fullback is right sided, Antony should avoid to dribble toward his opponent dominant foot and his own weaker foot, he puts himself at a disadvantage, especially if there is limited space wide, that's why inverted forwards work better with wide overlaps, it can be from a central midfielder or a fullback but the threat needs to exist.
Even with inverted wingers Ten Hag likes them to stay high and wide at first.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I agree that cutting in is the correct thing to do for a left footed right winger. Hence why I mentioned the need for a top level attacking full back to provide the overlap. However, a little bit of variation goes a long way. It means defenders can't completely sellout on the inside move. Also in transition, where the RB isn't necessarily available, he will have to go it alone.
That game Vs Feyenoord where he was up against Malacia (very good player btw), he had rough afternoon because the defender was ready for the inside move so he became a hesitant to attack.

Pronewbie

Peep
We are a Europa league team, which is Antony's current level. If ETH think he's going to be amazing, and it reduces pressure on AWB to bomb forward or produce moments of magic, then why not.

redcucumber

We are a Europa league team, which is Antony's current level. If ETH think he's going to be amazing, and it reduces pressure on AWB to bomb forward or produce moments of magic, then why not.
It's been quite widely reported since Ten Hag came in that AWB is surplus to requirements.

Dante

Average bang
Dramatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.