Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Are we any closer to signing Antony then we are de jong? I think both would be massive improvements… the thought of sancho and Antony on the wing being fed by de jong and Fernandes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
7 FKs and 2 penalties in the league according to transfermarket, he scored 22 goals in the league.

Antony's output is slightly concerning but from what I've seen he makes up for it in his general play and workrate.
It’s a non comparison. One was an inside forward (and unsurprisingly has moved into becoming a central attacker in front of goal which was always his best trait) and the other is a right winger who mostly keeps wide on the touchline. It would be like asking why someone like Eden Hazard never kept scoring parity with someone like Salah. They just have completely different strengths and styles to their game.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It would be unprecedented for a bloke with 8 goals in the ED to hack it at a big club in a top league in the bosman era.
I like him and he's talented, but if he's not banging them in for fun every game, he's nowhere near ready.
I'm going to look like an idiot when we sign him, aren't I?
Not quite...

Antony:

Robin van Persie:

Bobski

Too much focus on raw output in this thread, probably because most on here will not have seen him play.

I am one of those, so I would ask those who have, how good is his touch, his weight of pass, how does he deal with an early physical press, how does he react to a hostile crowd or a physical opponent. Does he keep showing for the ball and trying to be creative when the game is tough, is he selfish on the ball, and if so, to what extent? Is he static off the ball, how good is his movement, and is he a willing presser from the front?

How does he compare to Ziyech, who has been decent to good at times for Chelsea but someone they would probably like to upgrade.

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I don’t really understand why though?
Even if we fail to sign De Jong, the alternative target would be very unlikely to be more expensive than him, so it can't be because of the budget.
It’s 100% budget reasons.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But it’s ‘well known we cannot work on more than one deal at a time’.

NoPace

Too much focus on raw output in this thread, probably because most on here will not have seen him play.

I am one of those, so I would ask those who have, how good is his touch, his weight of pass, how does he deal with an early physical press, how does he react to a hostile crowd or a physical opponent. Does he keep showing for the ball and trying to be creative when the game is tough, is he selfish on the ball, and if so, to what extent? Is he static off the ball, how good is his movement, and is he a willing presser from the front?

How does he compare to Ziyech, who has been decent to good at times for Chelsea but someone they would probably like to upgrade.
Brazil fans seem to have him as equal to Raphinha, but he's not strong enough and wasn't tasked with getting into the box a ton. Hugged the touchline and dropped very deep to open up the half space for Mazraoui to run into or Berghuis to fill on the right.

Quicker than Ziyech, doesn't have his long passing/shooting ability.

Basically, my guess is we'd sign him to play like this:

Sancho-----Cristiano----------------------------
--------------------------Bruno-------------Antony
-------------Fred-----------------------------------------
------------------------De Jong------Dalot----------
Shaw--LCB--Varane/Maguire----------------

And presumably we sign another defender, my guess would be an LCB like Pau Torres or Lisandro.

But basically we'd sign him to create width on the right and help us carry the ball into the opponent's half, and leave a ton of room for the RB and #10 to get on the ball. Does make sense in terms of getting the best out of our 3 main attackers this season, assuming Bruno is going to play as a #10 and not a tucked in wide attacker. Don't expect a ton of goals.

It's tough to say tactically because De Jong is such a different #6 than Ajax had this season in Edson Alvarez, who is much more of a traditional shield for the defence who doesn't create much. But yeah, Antony's strength is that he'd open up space for others by playing so wide, and he really is constantly open and carrying the ball up the pitch. Not sure there's a Prem comparison really. Maybe Grealish this past season at City, but if he played as wide but a fair bit deeper.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not quite...

Antony:

Robin van Persie:
Van Persie wasn't a first team player in his first Arse season IIRC. He's on the record for saying that he had a deal with Wenger that any minutes he got in the first season should be considered a bonus. He ended up playing 1600 minutes. Pogba raked up 1800 minutes this season and he's been injured/suspended/vacationing for most of it.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Depay had 30 goal contributions a season prior to joining. Anthony is sitting on 8 goals.
In fairness, their goal production from open play (which is a half-decent equalizer as Antony didn't take the bulk of Ajax's set pieces) was not that dissimilar (not accounting for difference in roles within the team as one was an inside forward and the other more of a winger or the Champions League vs. Europa League distinction):
  • Memphis: 19 open play goals in all competitions in 3387 minutes (178 minutes per open play goal).
  • Antony: 12 open play goals in all competitions in 2447 minutes (203 minutes per open play goal).
In isolation, raw goal-scoring statistics paint an inconclusive picture anyway because someone like Salah had 10 open play goals in roughly 2100 minutes at Basel and Ribéry had 3 goals in roughly 3000 minutes at Metz and Galatasaray a similar age. That isn't to suggest that Antony will emulate them and become a world-beater (like you, a lot of us have quite a few reservations with him), just that production can incrementally increase over time or even skyrocket if a player evolves and manages to piece it all together (if United signs him and ten Hag puts his reputation on the line by vouching for him, you have to hope that this is what ends up happening). :)

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Depay had 30 goal contributions a season prior to joining. Anthony is sitting on 8 goals.

Useless graph. First of all ED is a piss easy, slow, league lacking in physicality and second Ajax is a far more dominant team in the league than MU was last season.

Most of our wingers would score 20+ in that league. Isn't Tadic still hitting those numbers at 57?
Although I'm a big Antony fan and absolutely see a future star in him, I do agree with you that comparing these stats is pretty useless. Although stats can give a little perspective, comparing them in different leagues is really like comparing apples and oranges.

Nevertheless, Antony > Depay even if Depay's stats were better. Antony is the best winger in the Dutch League in a long time. Depay and also Bergwijn are one trick ponies, which is why they don't really break through. Antony has much more skills and is far less predictable. Thats why Antony will be a bigger player in my opinion. And although his stats are maybe not showing it clearly, his crossing is actually top notch.

He should score more goals, but thats not even down to poor finishing, but more because he simply didn't get in the position that much. Thats mostly down to him playing wide, whilst leaving room for Mazraoui to get through the inside.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

I’m inclined to agree. I think you can afford to have a winger being so careless with the ball in a high risk/high reward manner but to have one there and one through the middle is just asking for more turnovers than a pastry shop.
——
Only (smallish) worry I have from a stylistic perspective is that both Antony and Sancho are very similar in how they play. They’re technically excellent, extremely tidy with their touch and their passes, and both love trickery to beat a man. It’s great for possessive football but it does feel a bit one dimensional, especially when our no.9 isn’t a player who can break the lines in behind.

The one player in our team currently who can play that role and add some versatility in the team is none other than Rashford. Praying he picks up form again because that ability to run in behind in a side that would otherwise be very square is massively important. Cc’ing @Rozay as it’s a point I’ve seen him bang on about too.
Isn't Rashford's big problem that he doesn't make those runs often enough? He tends to look for the ball to feet and then usually runs into traffic even though with his abilities it would suit his game much more to play the way you described.

Bobski

Brazil fans seem to have him as equal to Raphinha, but he's not strong enough and wasn't tasked with getting into the box a ton. Hugged the touchline and dropped very deep to open up the half space for Mazraoui to run into or Berghuis to fill on the right.

Quicker than Ziyech, doesn't have his long passing/shooting ability.

Basically, my guess is we'd sign him to play like this:

Sancho-----Cristiano----------------------------
--------------------------Bruno-------------Antony
-------------Fred-----------------------------------------
------------------------De Jong------Dalot----------
Shaw--LCB--Varane/Maguire----------------

And presumably we sign another defender, my guess would be an LCB like Pau Torres or Lisandro.

But basically we'd sign him to create width on the right and help us carry the ball into the opponent's half, and leave a ton of room for the RB and #10 to get on the ball. Does make sense in terms of getting the best out of our 3 main attackers this season, assuming Bruno is going to play as a #10 and not a tucked in wide attacker. Don't expect a ton of goals.

It's tough to say tactically because De Jong is such a different #6 than Ajax had this season in Edson Alvarez, who is much more of a traditional shield for the defence who doesn't create much. But yeah, Antony's strength is that he'd open up space for others by playing so wide, and he really is constantly open and carrying the ball up the pitch. Not sure there's a Prem comparison really. Maybe Grealish this past season at City, but if he played as wide but a fair bit deeper.

Thank you. The Raphinha comparison concerns me slightly, as while he is certainly a talent, and does have the aggression and tenacity for the PL, his decision making is erratic at best. Watched a few compilations of Antony which is admittedly a terrible way to judge a player, and I am not seeing anything special there yet but if he can keep developing who knows. Instinctively I would say he looks a bit lightweight for the PL but plenty of others with slim physiques have adapted.

Your description of his style would explain in large part his low goal total, and would remind a little, in tactical fit rather than style of play, of Valencia, and how he hugged the wing, constantly providing an out ball.

dutchred

I think he would work well with Ethan Laird (or even better with Elenga as right back). Ethan is good going forward and Antony is used to playing with a right back who likes to attack. Antony is good at covering for his back when the back moves forward

VanDeBank

Ma’am
In fairness, their goal production from open play (which is a half-decent equalizer as Antony didn't take the bulk of Ajax's set pieces) was not that dissimilar (not accounting for difference in roles within the team as one was an inside forward and the other more of a winger or the Champions League vs. Europa League distinction):
  • Memphis: 19 open play goals in all competitions in 3387 minutes (178 minutes per open play goal).
  • Antony: 12 open play goals in all competitions in 2447 minutes (203 minutes per open play goal).
In isolation, raw goal-scoring statistics paint an inconclusive picture anyway because someone like Salah had 10 open play goals in roughly 2100 minutes at Basel and Ribéry had 3 goals in roughly 3000 minutes at Metz and Galatasaray a similar age. That isn't to suggest that Antony will emulate them and become a world-beater (like you, a lot of us have quite a few reservations with him), just that production can incrementally increase over time or even skyrocket if a player evolves and manages to piece it all together (if United signs him and ten Hag puts his reputation on the line by vouching for him, you have to hope that this is what ends up happening). :)
Good post!

My issue is mostly that it's easier to piece things together at half the tempo in the ED than it is in the PL.
If you want to learn anything, you start slow then go faster.
Although I'm a big Antony fan and absolutely see a future star in him, I do agree with you that comparing these stats is pretty useless. Although stats can give a little perspective, comparing them in different leagues is really like comparing apples and oranges.

Nevertheless, Antony > Depay even if Depay's stats were better. Antony is the best winger in the Dutch League in a long time. Depay and also Bergwijn are a one trick ponies, which is why they don't really break through. Antony has much more skills and is far less predictable. Thats why Antony will be a bigger player in my opinion. And although his stats are maybe not showing it clearly, his crossing is actually top notch.

He should score more goals, but thats not even down to poor finishing, but more because he simply didn't get in the position that much. Thats mostly down to him playing wide, whilst leaving room for Mazraoui to get through the inside.
I agree with everything, but shame on you for forgetting Cody :nono:

Bojan Djordjic

Useless graph. First of all ED is a piss easy, slow, league lacking in physicality and second Ajax is a far more dominant team in the league than MU was last season.

Most of our wingers would score 20+ in that league. Isn't Tadic still hitting those numbers at 57?
Antony is a lot more suited to the Premiership. Depay didn't have fantastic acceleration like Antony does. Regardless of what you think about the Eriedivisie, he was performing even better at Champions League level and at international level. At Ajax, he was supplying Haller who despite his goals, doesn't seem to be liked by a lot of Ajax fans. You'd have to imagine he'd have more joy with Ronaldo, Bruno and Sancho rather than Berghuis, Haller and Tadic if EtH can get them firing.

NoPace

Thank you. The Raphinha comparison concerns me slightly, as while he is certainly a talent, and does have the aggression and tenacity for the PL, his decision making is erratic at best. Watched a few compilations of Antony which is admittedly a terrible way to judge a player, and I am not seeing anything special there yet but if he can keep developing who knows. Instinctively I would say he looks a bit lightweight for the PL but plenty of others with slim physiques have adapted.

Your description of his style would explain in large part his low goal total, and would remind a little, in tactical fit rather than style of play, of Valencia, and how he hugged the wing, constantly providing an out ball.
Yeah, I'm not sure he's a star since I don't see the strength to really get into the box and score 10+ goals a season, but my guess is Ten Hag is convinced that we need De Jong as a #6, tons of width on the right AND a quality passing LCB to be able to play high possession ball. Only Munich and Liverpool had more possession in the CL last year than Ajax.

Lisandro far and away led them in touches, so signing Lisandro should ensure the ball gets to De Jong centrally and Sancho on the left and signing Antony should open things up in the right half-space (Bruno as a 10 presumably and Dalot as a RB) and that leaves us without one section of the field unable to keep and progress the ball.

I don't have a problem with the manager signing players he's comfortable with because I think turning us into a 60%+ possession side will mean some games where we concede terrible goals with De Gea, Maguire, Varane, Dalot and Fred all struggling to focus for 90 minutes and make no errors in passing/dribbling in our own half. If we want to grab 4th and make a Europa run and have the year seen as promising enough to bring in big signings for next year and have a clear playing style that the young players can either suit or clearly not be good candidates for, we will need to make things as easy as possible for the aforementioned players, and while Antony won't score a ton of goals, he should help with that and also should be a good supplier of chances for Cristiano.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Good post!

My issue is mostly that it's easier to piece things together at half the tempo in the ED than it is in the PL.
If you want to learn anything, you start slow then go faster.

I agree with everything, but shame on you for forgetting Cody :nono:
Didn't mention him cause for a lot of readers it'll probably hard to judge him as well. However I'd put him in the Depay/Bergwijn list though because Gakpo also is more of a one trick pony. He does not really have skills/tricks to outplay his opponents. He will just run with the ball like Depay and Bergwijn also do. As said, Antony is a different player. However the one thing Gakpo has over Memphis and Bergwijn that increase his chances of succeeding at top level is that he is a more clinical finisher and better crosser.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The squad is getting gutted regardless what difference does it make if it's us that's doing it?

Bayern have taken 2, if we have to pick Antony then Arsenal may still get Martinez, Haller is going to Dortmund

Bojan Djordjic

Didn't mention him cause for a lot of readers it'll probably hard to judge him as well. However I'd put him in the Depay/Bergwijn list though because Gakpo also is more of a one trick pony. He does not really have skills/tricks to outplay his opponents. He will just run with the ball like Depay and Bergwijn also do. As said, Antony is a different player. However the one thing Gakpo has over Memphis and Bergwijn that increase his chances of succeeding at top level is that he is a more clinical finisher and better crosser.
Surprised you think Depay is one dimensional. He mightn't have been great for us but he's been one of the most creative forwards in the world, scored a load of goals for Lyon and is about to become the top scorer for the country that has produced some of the greatest strikers of all time.

the_cliff

I'd much rather pay the extra 10-15 mill and get Raphinha. I feel he's more suited to ETHs style and the prem.

That being said I won't be too unhappy if we do sign him, we'd finally have a decent attacker on our right, if he can somehow replicate what Mahrez does for City we'll be alright.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Van Persie wasn't a first team player in his first Arse season IIRC. He's on the record for saying that he had a deal with Wenger that any minutes he got in the first season should be considered a bonus. He ended up playing 1600 minutes. Pogba raked up 1800 minutes this season and he's been injured/suspended/vacationing for most of it.
That's fair enough, but Van Persie's competition at that time would have been Henry, Ljungberg, Pires, Reyes. Antony's competition would be Anthony Elanga.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Is our plan b buying Kimmich for 100m then or how does that make sense?
How is it difficult to understand? If a large portion of the budget goes on FDJ - doesn’t leave much for anyone else. If a sizeable chunk of the budget goes on Antony, we won’t have enough for FDJ.

Not that hard to figure out

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How is it difficult to understand? If a large portion of the budget goes on FDJ - doesn’t leave much for anyone else. If a sizeable chunk of the budget goes on Antony, we won’t have enough for FDJ.

Not that hard to figure out
But we obviously want both anyway or at least won't stop after buying De Jong. Why not keep €90m aside for him, which will definitely get him, and work on other deals assuming those 90m are off limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.