Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
His end product is lacking at this point in time. His finishing in particular definitely needs improvement. He has a lot of talent though, a very good dribbler. That being said I'd be shocked if he doesn't struggle with the better defending in the PL. Personally I think he'd be more of a rotation player for us in the 1st season unless Rashford can't rediscover his form. Not worth over £35-40m and I think some of the Ajax fans are massively underrating how much better defenders are in the PL than in the Eredivisie, the same way so many Dortmund fans were underrating how much defenders in the PL are than in the Bundesliga when we signed Sancho (who was absolutely miles ahead of Antony's current level). If It's going to cost £50m+ I'd prefer we focus on Raphinha tbh.
Thanks for this.

Seems like a bit of a weird one to me, I immediately thought of Raphinha too, who it looks like Arsenal might sign for 50m.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Mate let’s speak reality and not hocus pocus. They are not getting Nunez numbers for a player of Antony’s level. They didn’t land on Neymar/R9 gold. They have a very talented player who has benefited from the coaching of our current manager. There’s also quite a few players around in Europe that fit this mould and just like Antony I’m sure a new talent will emerge in the next 12 months.

But I’m sure Ajax being a well run club will see things exactly as they are and not be in board meetings looking at Darwin Nunez as some time of benchmark.
You would have said the same thing 10 years ago when Liverpool signed Suarez from Ajax. 5 PL matches later he was suddenly world class. As if he gotten that much better in those weeks. :lol:

With Neres I would have told you after the 2018/19 season that he's not world class. Antony has everything in him to be spectecular. Why would Ajax not be able to get the same numbers Benfica got for Nunez? Not now, I agree. But Nunez also is no R9 or Neymar. Very good striker, but the alphas are Haaland and Mbappe. If City had to buy Haaland without a release clause, they would have needed double the amount that they paid now (if not more).

If Antony has a stunning WC or CL season next year, there's absolutely no reason why Ajax can't get the same amount that Benfica got for Nunez. And if he doesn't do stunning, then those numbers will off the cards. But Ajax is now selling Haller for £30m, who had already flopped in England and is already 28. So how you're trying to make out that £45m-50m for a 22 yo promising winger playing regularly for Brazil NT would be crazy even right now is quite amazing to me. Antony would really have to play a very poor next year to make Ajax sell for less than £45m next year.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Anthony
Ajax wants to use the money to finally release attackers Steven Bergwijn and Brian Brobbey at Tottenham Hotspur and RB Leipzig respectively. It may not stop at those mutations, because more pillars and trendsetters are emphatically in the crosshairs of European top clubs. Especially Manchester United, the new club of former Ajax coach Erik ten Hag, has targets in the Johan Cruijff Arena. For example, the English top club is preparing an offer for Antony and Lisandro Martínez is also high on Ten Hag's list.

The Brazil international has become a concrete option after United grabbed next to Darwin Nuñez. The Uruguayan striker chose Liverpool . Antony himself fervently hopes to make a dream transfer this summer. He also sees Martínez. The Argentine mandekker is still preferable to Pau Torres (Villarreal) at United, which first wants to strengthen the midfield.

Dazzmondo

You would have said the same thing 10 years ago when Liverpool signed Suarez from Ajax. 5 PL matches later he was suddenly world class. As if he gotten that much better in those weeks. :lol:

With Neres I would have told you after the 2018/19 season that he's not world class. Antony has everything in him to be spectecular. Why would Ajax not be able to get the same numbers Benfica got for Nunez? Not now, I agree. But Nunez also is no R9 or Neymar. Very good striker, but the alphas are Haaland and Mbappe. If City had to buy Haaland without a release clause, they would have needed double the amount that they paid now (if not more).

If Antony has a stunning WC or CL season next year, there's absolutely no reason why Ajax can't get the same amount that Benfica got for Nunez. And if he doesn't do stunning, then those numbers will off the cards. But Ajax is now selling Haller for £30m, who had already flopped in England and is already 28. So how you're trying to make out that £45m-50m for a 22 yo promising winger playing regularly for Brazil NT would be crazy even right now is quite amazing to me. Antony would really have to play a very poor next year to make Ajax sell for less than £45m next year.
Mate, Suarez scored 49 goals in 48 games for Ajax the season before Liverpool signed him. What are you talking about :lol: Not even remotely comparable.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Anthony
Ajax wants to use the money to finally release attackers Steven Bergwijn and Brian Brobbey at Tottenham Hotspur and RB Leipzig respectively. It may not stop at those mutations, because more pillars and trendsetters are emphatically in the crosshairs of European top clubs. Especially Manchester United, the new club of former Ajax coach Erik ten Hag, has targets in the Johan Cruijff Arena. For example, the English top club is preparing an offer for Antony and Lisandro Martínez is also high on Ten Hag's list.
That is actually not true at all. This is the same text from the Ajax Tier 1s about the Haller money. Not the Antony(without the H) money.

Brophs

The One and Only
Good to see Neil Custis using his platform to do actual football journalism, rather than complaining on Twitter about the way he's been treated by airlines or getting all dewy-eyed about his local pub.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good to see Neil Custis using his platform to do actual football journalism, rather than complaining on Twitter about the way he's been treated by airlines or getting all dewy-eyed about his local pub.
Did he talk about how hes been dieting and struggling to lose weight after LVG called him fat man? Or was I dreaming :lol:

Mainoldo

Scarce market for strikers right now. I did say there are a list of players who would tick the boxes Antony does who aren’t going to cost the figures you are talking about for a player in the Dutch league.

I hear your Suarez example but it has zero relation to this, but as you mentioned it go check his stats compared to Andy Carrol and go and compare how much they cost?

On your logic Liverpool got him for cheap as he was clearly a £50m player at the time. Why didn’t Ajax demand Fernando Torres money?

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Even without the Eth connection I'm sure Antony would have been mentioned here several times. There's very few quality, proven, left footed right winger available right now

Infra-red

Even without the Eth connection I'm sure Antony would have been mentioned here several times. There's very few quality, proven, left footed right winger available right now
Yep, it's slim pickings. Aside from Antony, there's obviously Raphinha, who a lot of clubs seem to be chasing. After that, not sure, Berardi? Ousmane Dembélé is two-footed. Real are reportedly keen to shift Asensio. Not a lot out there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I will just tag some Dutch football fans shamelessly and ask some questions if that's OK. Apologies if already asked:

- What is Antony's current level if you were to compare him to a current PL winger? Is he likely be a Raphina/Richarlson level? Or could he even struggle like Depay did for us?
- What is his ceiling? In his absolute best highlights I see some a Mahrez level of influence in him. He comes across particularly hard working which will undoubtedly suit ETH.
- Some have already said he's quick, but how is his strength? I've seen a couple vids of him going to ground and doing some shithousery - is that going to be normal? Or does he prefer to stay on his feet and get physical

Apologies for some player comparisons in the questions - I found it easier to articulate by comparing to other wingers of similar ilk.

Any other context or views would be appreciated, given this is warming up slightly it may look to be a go-er.

@AjaxCunian @AjaxNL @Ajaxsuarez @dutchred @therealtboy

Dazzmondo

Yep, it's slim pickings. Aside from Antony, there's obviously Raphinha, who a lot of clubs seem to be chasing. After that, not sure, Berardi? Ousmane Dembélé is two-footed. Real are reportedly keen to shift Asensio. Not a lot out there.
Moussa Diaby of Leverkusen should probably be mentioned aswell but ya, there are definitely a lot more talented right footers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Lingard & Mata left, Sancho could be sent to left side as Rashford and Martial had shocking season and on top of that Elanga still didn't kicked off with form of mature player.

We have tons of other positions to address, but Antony could help immensely, especially with unsolved Greenwood situation. If we won't find striker, goalscoring RW with potential could be somewhat vital addition to unlock that shitty goal difference a bit.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s Saka who has 2 years left on his contract but I don’t think we’re appealing at all to him unless we massively improve this season and he’s an option in the future… It’s a shame Pedro Neto has been out for so long with injuries — if he gets a full session injury free, I can see him having a Raphinha level season. Lastly there’s Bowen and whilst I think he’s pretty good, he’s just not worth what West Ham would hold out for.

BarstoolProphet

Extremely weird to bring Suarez in this. He had one of the best seasons ever (in terms of stats) in Eredivisie the season before he was signed. Also he was sold for a less amount than a donkey that "was PL proven" the very same window.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Mate, Suarez scored 49 goals in 48 games for Ajax the season before Liverpool signed him. What are you talking about :lol: Not even remotely comparable.
I agree he does not have the stats now and he needs those stats to warrant a crazy fee. He needs either an amazing WC or a very good ED/CL season to warrant a fee like Nunez. If he does not produce that, then of course this is off limits.

But I see Antony every week and he has the same spectacular qualities. His stats this season are poor because of injury and rotation. I have no doubt Antony can get way better stats next season in ED, as long as he plays a full season (no injury). But the thing is the whole time, even if he keeps his current level and does not get crazy stats, Ajax can get at least £45m next year. Therefore selling him for an amount like that right now makes no sense. Ajax have a huge possible upside (spectacular WC, CL or league stats) and there's barely a downside. Of course he can play like complete shit or break his leg which would hurt its value obviously, but there's no reason to believe thats likely to happen.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Scarce market for strikers right now. I did say there are a list of players who would tick the boxes Antony does who aren’t going to cost the figures you are talking about for a player in the Dutch league.

I hear your Suarez example but it has zero relation to this, but as you mentioned it go check his stats compared to Andy Carrol and go and compare how much they cost?

On your logic Liverpool got him for cheap as he was clearly a £50m player at the time. Why didn’t Ajax demand Fernando Torres money?
Suarez was indeed a steal. Should have been much more expensive. But things have changed now. Ajax will sell Haller at 28 after flop in EPL for more than Ajax sold Suarez for. That should tell you times have changed dramatically.

Redcy

One of the things I noticed about Antony is that I thought he created a lot of chances and goalscoring situations that were not taken advantage of by Ajax. There were a lot of missed, what I would call, good chances. No doubt he lacks finishing, and he sometimes does the nani thing of making poor decisions. I could see him getting better assist numbers with a better forward line. Do we have that? I am not entirely sure!

Mainoldo

Suarez was indeed a steal. Should have been much more expensive. But things have changed now. Ajax will sell Haller at 28 after flop in EPL for more than Ajax sold Suarez for. That should tell you times have changed dramatically.
Obviously I know inflation I just don’t think they can demand the same price as say Raphina for instance.

Rolaholic

Raphinha and Bruno would be a disaster back in the same team in the Prem.

The ball retention and recovery/interceptions numbers are part of the reason why ETH loves Antony.

Pino would be such an interesting prospect if he didn't have a 100m clause...

Redcy

The ball retention and recovery/interceptions numbers are part of the reason why ETH loves Antony.

Watching his all touch videos I have to admit the though that springs to mind is that maybe he thinks for 10m less, Antony's defensive capabilities are important, especially with the way he plays. Interesting video on Ten Hag's tactics here, and I can see why Antony fits well in a more defensive line up, he does do a lot tracking for winger.

dangk1

I think Antony is a good player, a real classic inverted winger. I just don't see how he's a fit for United unless you guys also sign a proper overlapping right fullback ala Mazraoui.
Opponents usually double mark Antony and he needs help from a attack minded fullback to still be a threat and do his magic. Antony's game suffered quite heavily when Mazraoui was injured and Rensch had to fill in.
Not sure if Dalot is good enough and AWB is certainly a no go combination with Antony. People pointing at his stats do not watch him. He could've had a dozen more assist if Haller was not that wasteful. Trademark is his crossing to 2nd post ala same as Ziyech. Looks like a very drilled thing from ETH.

Last edited:

Redcy

Watching his all touch videos I have to admit the though that springs to mind is that maybe he thinks for 10m less, Antony's defensive capabilities are important, especially with the way he plays. Interesting video on Ten Hag's tactics here, and I can see why Antony fits well in a more defensive line up, he does do a lot tracking for winger.

Although give Raphinha his dues he is not a slouch defensively

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If he has an amazing WC his value will not just rise, it will skyrocket.
Will he make the squad / team?

Neymar, Jesus, Vinicius will all make the team I think

Firminho, Richarlison probably ahead of him

Anthony, Rodrygo, Martinelli, Rahpina probably fighting it out for one or two squad places?

i hope we get him but Im not expecting too much in his first season (be great if he overachieves that)... not sure is he would be a starter or impact sub for us at the start so a big ask for him to not only get in the brazil squad but to get game time and have an amazing WC

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd be OK going into the season with Dalot as right back if we get Antony. I know people don't rate Dalot but he has shown potential to play as a fullback that tucks in rather than overlaps. Someone like Antony on his flank who likes how to actually stay wide can compliment him

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I will just tag some Dutch football fans shamelessly and ask some questions if that's OK. Apologies if already asked:

- What is Antony's current level if you were to compare him to a current PL winger? Is he likely be a Raphina/Richarlson level? Or could he even struggle like Depay did for us?
- What is his ceiling? In his absolute best highlights I see some a Mahrez level of influence in him. He comes across particularly hard working which will undoubtedly suit ETH.
- Some have already said he's quick, but how is his strength? I've seen a couple vids of him going to ground and doing some shithousery - is that going to be normal? Or does he prefer to stay on his feet and get physical

Apologies for some player comparisons in the questions - I found it easier to articulate by comparing to other wingers of similar ilk.

Any other context or views would be appreciated, given this is warming up slightly it may look to be a go-er.

Think he's much better suited for the role than Depay. He is on Raphinha/Richarlison's level but think his potential is higher. More gifted than them, and a more clever and rounded player.

His absolute ceiling, difficult to say. I would want to be quite careful in that, but maybe Sterling at his best? He does have an awful lot of the same qualities that Robben had.

He is very intense and up for a challenge but will also happily lay on the ground if that works in his favor.

Short answer.

Rolaholic

Will he make the squad / team?

Neymar, Jesus, Vinicius will all make the team I think

Firminho, Richarlison probably ahead of him

Anthony, Rodrygo, Martinelli, Rahpina probably fighting it out for one or two squad places?

i hope we get him but Im not expecting too much in his first season (be great if he overachieves that)... not sure is he would be a starter or impact sub for us at the start so a big ask for him to not only get in the brazil squad but to get game time and have an amazing WC
He firmly established himself into Tite's Seleçao squad over the last year. He played most of their World Cup qualifiers and helped win a gold medal at the last Olympics.

Only way he gets left out of the Qatar squad is in case of injury imo

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He firmly established himself into Tite's Seleçao squad over the last year. He played most of their World Cup qualifiers and helped win a gold medal at the last Olympics.

Only way he gets left out of the Qatar squad is in case of injury imo
didnt make the last 2 squads for example
and of his 9 caps
Venezuela - played 13 mins as a sub
Columbia - played 19 mins as a sub
Uruguay - played 29 mins as a sub
Columbia - played 26 mins as a sub
Argentina - played 21 mins as a sub
Ecuador - played 27 mins as a sub
Paraguay - played 29 mins as a sub
Chile - started - played 75 mins and subbed off
Bolivia - started - played 77 mins and subbed off

Im not convinced these 316 mins have fully booked his place in the squad when you consider he might not be playing week in / week out if he joins us and some of those games he played ion came when more established players were injured. (or didnt want to travel to south america for qualifying games)

Looks a talent - but not sure I think he's going to be a star of the world cup - not even sure he's gonna make it there

Rolaholic

He didn't make the last squads because he was injured and out for the season since April.

He would've been if he wasn't hurt since was in the previous one in March a few weeks prior.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I’m inclined to agree. I think you can afford to have a winger being so careless with the ball in a high risk/high reward manner but to have one there and one through the middle is just asking for more turnovers than a pastry shop.
——
Only (smallish) worry I have from a stylistic perspective is that both Antony and Sancho are very similar in how they play. They’re technically excellent, extremely tidy with their touch and their passes, and both love trickery to beat a man. It’s great for possessive football but it does feel a bit one dimensional, especially when our no.9 isn’t a player who can break the lines in behind.

The one player in our team currently who can play that role and add some versatility in the team is none other than Rashford. Praying he picks up form again because that ability to run in behind in a side that would otherwise be very square is massively important. Cc’ing @Rozay as it’s a point I’ve seen him bang on about too.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord

Obviously hate him as Feyenoord fan but in our 3-2 game he was a nightmare in the second half, every time he touched the ball you feared the worst. He’s the kind of player to you have to double team when he’s feeling it otherwise he’ll have your fullback on toast. He doesn’t rely on pace as his close control is top notch and if he does need the pace he can turn on the after burners and skin you down the line. Now with that being said, once he gets into the box or down the touchline his decision making neeDana improve drastically but I’m sure that will come. But he and Sancho down the wings will make opposition teams really nervous and free Ronaldo to tear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.