Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

People seem to forget there are many examples of players who are incredibly one footed who have done well in the PL or world football - Robben, Di Maria, Valencia, Giggs, Duff, Mahrez etc.
Arguably the greatest player if all time is one footed . From the videos I've been seeing of him, using his right will be a last resort but he's very skilled with the ball with just his left that he can get himself out of trouble where a normal one footed player will be trapped

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Star says “according to The Sun”. At the moment it’s only Custis who’s said this.
Ah I missed that (at least you know I don't read the trash; just saw the headlines). That said, Neil Custis is one of the better journos

Swedish_Plumber

Only thing I would say. There was zero take ons. So very Sancho ish. You’d really want to see him burst past the full back.
While i would like our wingers to take on defenders, I believe with a good system of players moving off the ball and incisive one touch passes we could negate that a bit. Hopefully…

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
While i would like our wingers to take on defenders, I believe with a good system of players moving off the ball and incisive one touch passes we could negate that a bit. Hopefully…
hmmm, but one of our worse traits last season was zero movement of the ball

F-A-C-T-S

Anthony brings that little extra to the field.
He will do anything to win. From score a goal to fake an injury to win time.
He has got a great technique. Is a dribbler but also a one touch player.
My concern is attitude, for those who have watched him. How is he in this regard. Because more so than ability this team needs the right sort of characters, I. e consummate pros, willing to sacrifice for the team. I'm getting Neymar/Pogba vibes from him.

GJNJ

My concern is attitude, for those who have watched him. How is he in this regard. Because more so than ability this team needs the right sort of characters, I. e consummate pros, willing to sacrifice for the team. I'm getting Neymar/Pogba vibes from him.
From what I have seen he does work hard, the only questionable characteristics I can see is that he is petulant, throws himself to the floor, moaning. This is pretty common for players over the past 20 years though, unfortunately.

Danish Wizard

Trust the manager. He knows Antony better than us. I'm sure ten Hag has looked at the current squad, and if he brings in Antony, he clearly feels it is a player ready to start for us.

Redcy

definitely not, been watching lots of Ajax breakdown of tactics. Antony looks to be really hard working, switching from RW to RM, swapping wings as needed. For me his worst traits seem to be shooting and going down easy. V snappy type player out of possession, chasing wing backs down etc.

Kaushal

Better compilation highlights video. Sorry if it’s posted already. Just came out yesterday.

tidraKS

He's really good and has potential to be a sort of Arjen Robben type of player. I would love to have him here.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Having watched a couple of Ajax games last night against Feyenoord, this guy will be a sold NO from me.
I've got no time for players throwing themselves on the floor, feigning injury etc..

Redfrog

Having watched a couple of Ajax games last night against Feyenoord, this guy will be a sold NO from me.
I've got no time for players throwing themselves on the floor, feigning injury etc..
With that kind of mentality, Ferguson would have never bring Ronaldo in.
Drive and talent are what matters.

Kaushal

Out of all the reasons, this is your cut off point ? So you wouldn’t want prime busquets, Robben, salah and many more players either ? And you must hate Bruno too then. I’m not condoning it but that’s how it is with many players and what if ten Hag doesn’t mind it because Antony was doing it playing under him you know.

Redcy

You chose the one game to look at where he had a particularly bad game, probably because its the one that shows up a lot from searches.

Plenty of games to choose from that show where he is better than that

JohnnyLaw

Only thing I would say. There was zero take ons. So very Sancho ish. You’d really want to see him burst past the full back.
I’ve made notice of that too, especially watching his compilation in the game against Dortmund.
The off-the-ball movement of the likes of Hakimi/Guerreiro and Mazraoui really allowed these guys to shine so it’s important we get fullback positions right to compliment these players.

If we decide to go for Antony and trust him and Sancho to be our starting wingers Laird and bringing in Malacia could help to make that work I suppose but it might be a big ask.
It would be beneficial to Amad aswell who has similar strenghts/weaknesses.

redcucumber

The way Ten Hag seems to want to set up it looks like De Jong will be the deepest lying midfielder next to Fred or McTominay rather than having a sitting DM.
De Jong will often be the first man to collect the ball and advance it from deep, but he cannot be expected to be the deepest lying midfielder from a defensive point of view. He's proven he can excel in a double pivot, but I feel like De Jong and Fred/McTominay would be massively vulnerable defensively. Both Fred and McTominay are erratic and aren't particularly intelligent footballers - do we think they can anchor the midfield while De Jong is advancing and linking the play? We desperately need someone with positional discipline. I wouldn't be surprised if the links to Lisandro Martinez are because Ten Hag sees him as someone that can play in the defensive midfield position. At least I hope so!

Against a pl team. Looks dangerous every tike he has the ball. He's also pretty good in team play
He looks very tidy and composed. As others have said, extremely similar to Sancho in lots of respects?

Mainoldo

I’ve made notice of that too, especially watching his compilation in the game against Dortmund.
The off-the-ball movement of the likes of Hakimi/Guerreiro and Mazraoui really allowed these guys to shine so it’s important we get fullback positions right to compliment these players.

If we decide to go for Antony and trust him and Sancho to be our starting wingers Laird and bringing in Malacia could help to make that work I suppose but it might be a big ask.
It would be beneficial to Amad aswell who has similar strenghts/weaknesses.
Yeah… just made me think our RB best be bloody good.

Dalot has the engine but can he improve his quality as Antony will give his fullback a lot of ball time.

tidraKS

Against a pl team. Looks dangerous every tike he has the ball. He's also pretty good in team play
1. Looks very composed and very good against a good Liverpool team. Keeps the ball well and has great energy.
2. It's his first season in European football. It's season 2020/21.

PS. Love that cross for Huntelaar.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The most exciting thing about Antony for me is his work rate and energy off the ball in joining a systematic press.

tidraKS

Yeah… just made me think our RB best be bloody good.

Dalot has the engine but can he improve his quality as Antony will give his fullback a lot of ball time.
From what I can see Mazraoui isn't a lot better than Dalot. He's a bit more composed, but I think Dalot has more skills. Dalot has a lot space to improve, but I'm expecting a lot of players to improve.

Aeryis

Ever since I read those stats comparing Diaby, Antony, and Raphinha I've jumped on Diaby hype train. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we don't even know he exists. But boy, he would work wonders in the PL. He looks so much more threatening with his deadly pace, direct style of play and finishing.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think he looks absolutely quality and is probably one of the most exciting players I've seen in a long time. He's got that Ronaldinho/Neymar fun aspect to him. The supporters would love him and if he could be given the right guidance then I think he could be one of the best about.

By some stroke of luck he happens to play for our managers old team and has a good relationship with him. It's not often we have opportunities like this. I'm far more excited by this than FdJ.

Hammondo

I think he looks good. Thing that stands out the most for me is it LOOKS like his decision making is far better than the attacking players we have had in recent years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In the highlights video posted before, he overtakes his Brazil CBs to tackle Cavani in his own box, then clear off past a couple of Uruguay players into their half with the ball. He looks pretty sensational to me.
But I would never watch highlights alone. Look at all touches in games.

They're called highlights for a reason

MUFC OK

This is my issue with this signing. He rather predictably cuts inside and either plays a reverse pass or looks to shoot.

In other news, how have Dortmund got Haller for 31m Euros? We should not pay a penny over £40m for Anthony, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.