Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've never seen him play but he's obviously a decent footballer so the muppet in me went to watch a few youtube videos of him and well, is anyone else really underwhelmed by him? Seems like a left footed right winger but what else is so special about him? It's a lot of money thats being rumoured. Do you guys think he has enormous potential?
Very quick, great 1v1, good crosser and seems able to finish well. Has a bag of tricks which is great for the crowd and most importantly defensively works very hard too.

Whats not to like?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ajax potentially already have the Antony replacement at the club in Mohamed Ihattaren, who is a 20 year old left footed right sided attacker. And If I'm not mistaken, he's on loan at Ajax from Juventus but Ajax do have a buy option. He has immense potential and along with Bergwijn, the wide attacking roles would be occupied by capable players. And in Ihattaren's case, he's someone who has the potential to grow even further as long as he can put his recent issues behind him, which he seems to be doing right now.

Adam-Utd

Ajax potentially already have the Antony replacement at the club in Mohamed Ihattaren, who is a 20 year old left footed right sided attacker. And If I'm not mistaken, he's on loan at Ajax from Juventus but Ajax do have a buy option. He has immense potential and along with Bergwijn, the wide attacking roles would be occupied by capable players. And in Ihattaren's case, he's someone who has the potential to grow even further as long as he can put his recent issues behind him, which he seems to be doing right now.
How is he still only 20 years old? feels like he's been 20 for 10 years :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's barely played for a year. Not sure what happened but he went on loan at Sampdoria, didn't play and ended up in the Ajax reserves on loan.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why don't we just buy the club and loan all their players to us? It's probably easier and less complicated at this point if we want to sign half their team.
Yeah, seems a bit much. Plus the Caf has taught me that any defenders under six feet tall will fail, so not sure that buying two of them is a good idea.

With Antony we'd be getting a player who can be unpredictable on the right wing which would be a huge bonus. Far too often last season teams were able to just sit back, keep their shape, and collect the ball when we inevitably ran out of ideas passing it sideways.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can understand how why Ajax might want a ridiculous figure. Their first team is on the verge of being decimated.

Acquire Me

He is a flair player, which is great for any team and I think especially United could use one right now. He is flashy, has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, which makes him great to watch in the highlights. He is a great dribbler and has decent amount of accelaration and top speed. However, I doubt whether his dribbling and flashyness translates to the prem, as he will get a lot less time and will be faced with stronger opponents. That combined with his relatively weak physique and low shooting power makes me doubt whether he is up for it, al least right now.

I do see other Ajax posters being more positive about his chances in the prem, so it could very well be me that is misjudging the situation.

EDIT: I think what also plays a role in my estimation is that I've been too positive about attacking players making the step up from the Eredivisie to the prem in recent years. I really did think that Bergwijn, Ziyech and Donny would be great here, but it hasn't worked out for them. Maybe that's why I'm more reluctant in expecting Antony to succeed. Mind you, especially Bergwijn and Ziyech were very impressive in the Eredivisie, a lot more so than Antony is in my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. I do rate him and would like to give him a chance. I actually see Darwin somewhat same, it can go either way.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's barely played for a year. Not sure what happened but he went on loan at Sampdoria, didn't play and ended up in the Ajax reserves on loan.
His father's illness/death caused young Ihatteren much personal issues according to reports. But Ajax have been building his fitness up again in the second team and it looks like he will be ready for the new season. And with a full preseason and a clear mind, he has every chance to get back to being one of the biggest Dutch talents around.

Ajax also have a young attacking midfielder (Naci Unuvar) who did really well in the second team last season, and he could also become a regular option for the club at first team level in the coming season.

AJ VII

So if Ajax thinks he is a 80mil€ player, I assume they will bump his wages to 300k a week to reflect that?

If not I would have downed tools if I was Antony

Bojan Djordjic

His father's illness/death caused young Ihatteren much personal issues according to reports. But Ajax have been building his fitness up again in the second team and it looks like he will be ready for the new season. And with a full preseason and a clear mind, he has every chance to get back to being one of the biggest Dutch talents around.

Ajax also have a young attacking midfielder (Naci Unuvar) who did really well in the second team last season, and he could also become a regular option for the club at first team level in the coming season.
Yeah Naci Unuvar seems to be hyped as the jewel in their crown for years but I have a feeling he'll turn out to be their Angel Gomes. He's tiny and I wonder will that pose issues for him. Thought I saw that he was going out on loan this year to another Dutch club.

Bobski

Very quick, great 1v1, good crosser and seems able to finish well. Has a bag of tricks which is great for the crowd and most importantly defensively works very hard too.

Whats not to like?
His face to be honest, he has a proper dickhead face. Might be the loveliest human in the world but his facial configuration says otherwise. And I say that as someone who actually is the loveliest human being in the world but also has a dickhead face.

As a player he looks a fairly generic inverted winger but compilations are a poor way to judge a player, almost as bad as faces.

Adam-Utd

His face to be honest, he has a proper dickhead face. Might be the loveliest human in the world but his facial configuration says otherwise. And I say that as someone who actually is the loveliest human being in the world but also has a dickhead face.

As a player he looks a fairly generic inverted winger but compilations are a poor way to judge a player, almost as bad as faces.
your gf ran off with a brazilian feck boy didn't she?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
just those 3 would be quite the underwhelming transfer window (and I think De Jong could be brilliant)
If those 3 are spot on then it would be great. We’ve had what we’ve thought was the absolute perfect transfer window before (e.g. 2014) and just ended up with a boatload of flops, and we’ve had apparently nightmarish transfer windows (e.g. 2006) that have worked out really well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If those 3 are spot on then it would be great. We’ve had what we’ve thought was the absolute perfect transfer window before (e.g. 2014) and just ended up with a boatload of flops, and we’ve had apparently nightmarish transfer windows (e.g. 2006) that have worked out really well.
Weird take but ok

charlenefan

For once since fergie left, I completely trust ten hag on who to bring in.
I don't have a problem with the players he wants to bring in just that those 3 in particular is nowhere near enough

El-Manos

I don't have a problem with the players he wants to bring in just that those 3 in particular is nowhere near enough
It isn’t but it was never going to be a major overhaul. We’ve been linked to too many defenders so I reckon we’ll get a versatile defender too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Apart from Dembele, Aubameyang, Coutinho, Van Dijk... just off the top of my head in recent memory.
Almost all of them left while the paying party paid record breaking fees for them.
In case if aubamyang there was total meltdown in his relationship with arteta.

Ajax has no problem selling him if we cough up the money, I doubt anything Antony could do lowers that number.

charlenefan

It isn’t but it was never going to be a major overhaul. We’ve been linked to too many defenders so I reckon we’ll get a versatile defender too.
Add a RB and now you're talking

WPMUFC

Shame about the price, I don't think we'll get him, Ajax need players to build for the new coach. He's got to keep some talent. But I'm loving the attitude from him. Sees the PL as a place to test him and improve, wants to work with ETH. Just the attitude we need.

I guess it comes down to Ajax resolve and how far Antony is willing to make a scene to leave. This one seems to be the definition of 50/50 chance of happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.