Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

Nani, as great as he has been playing for us, got so many sticks here. How can Antony, on the level he currently is, survive? No more than 30 mil euros please.

Dazzmondo

He is a flair player, which is great for any team and I think especially United could use one right now. He is flashy, has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, which makes him great to watch in the highlights. He is a great dribbler and has decent amount of accelaration and top speed. However, I doubt whether his dribbling and flashyness translates to the prem, as he will get a lot less time and will be faced with stronger opponents. That combined with his relatively weak physique and low shooting power makes me doubt whether he is up for it, al least right now.

I do see other Ajax posters being more positive about his chances in the prem, so it could very well be me that is misjudging the situation.

EDIT: I think what also plays a role in my estimation is that I've been too positive about attacking players making the step up from the Eredivisie to the prem in recent years. I really did think that Bergwijn, Ziyech and Donny would be great here, but it hasn't worked out for them. Maybe that's why I'm more reluctant in expecting Antony to succeed. Mind you, especially Bergwijn and Ziyech were very impressive in the Eredivisie, a lot more so than Antony is in my opinion.
I think you're right to be sceptical considering these recent cases. I think it's a lot of your fellow Ajax fans that are wrong for discounting these examples of undoubted Eredevisie successes failing once moving on to the PL. I think Antony has a lot of talent and I could see him doing well in the PL eventually, but I think it's naive to expect some sort of instant success considering even Sancho couldn't do this despite coming from a better league and undoubtedly being at a higher level at that time he made the move.

city-puma

I think you're right to be sceptical considering these recent cases. I think it's a lot of your fellow Ajax fans that are wrong for discounting these examples of undoubted Eredevisie successes failing once moving on to the PL. I think Antony has a lot of talent and I could see him doing well in the PL eventually, but I think it's naive to expect some sort of instant success considering even Sancho couldn't do this despite coming from a better league and undoubtedly being at a higher level at that time he made the move.
Agree. I feel he is on the level similar to Memphis when he joined us. Our fan base will be driven to meltdown in three games. If the price is reasonable, It’s worth to taking risk. But at the same time, what about Amad and Pellistri? I think we should go for a versatile forward in this window.

NewYorkRed

Would loveee a flair player in our squad, have needed one for so long. However, the numbers being thrown around are absurd. He is not worth more than 30-35 million pounds at his current level.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
ETH to recruitment board : "I want Antony and I want him now"

"Ok boss we will extend his contract".

Breaking news : Manchester United extended Anthony Martial's contract by 10 years.

Aeryis

Would loveee a flair player in our squad, have needed one for so long. However, the numbers being thrown around are absurd. He is not worth more than 30-35 million pounds at his current level.
We already have a flair player...Sancho.

Donut

Unless ETH is 100% sure Antony has what it takes, I’d rather he proves himself for another season before we buy him, especially at the prices quoted you’d want an absolutely sure thing and this could very easily go the Depay route. We’re not going to win anything anyway this season, it will mostly be about the setup, new ideas and asssessment of the squad, so we can wait for another season.

Judas

Open to offers
Unless ETH is 100% sure Antony has what it takes, I’d rather he proves himself for another season before we buy him, especially at the prices quoted you’d want an absolutely sure thing and this could very easily go the Depay route. We’re not going to win anything anyway this season, it will mostly be about the setup, new ideas and asssessment of the squad, so we can wait for another season.
The price will be even more daft next summer if he has a stormer in the upcoming one. It's not as if his contract is coming to an end.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If the new figure is correct, this will take until 2025 to get a deal done! This time we have to either pay the asking price or walk away immediately. I have to admit I have no memory of ever seeing Antony play so have no idea which is best.

croadyman

Yeah unlike De Jong I feel there are other options in this position, however are they realistically available. I am also impressed by his supposed keeness to push for it if necessary.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't have a problem with the players he wants to bring in just that those 3 in particular is nowhere near enough
My bet would be we bring a CB as well if we get those 3. Too many defenders leaving the club and linked heavily with Timber, Torres, etc.

croadyman

just those 3 would be quite the underwhelming transfer window (and I think De Jong could be brilliant)
Oh yeah we definitely still need another 3 maybe 4 for the first XI, however we won't be able to sort it out in one window.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Antony isn’t an Eredevise talent, he’s a Brasileiro talent. His relationship woth the Eredivise was always going to be a brief one, and it was just a stop on the way to a big league.

I feel like people would almost feel better if he came here straight from Brazil, simply because the connotation of a young talent from Brazil and a talent from Holland are totally different.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I believe people underestimate how important it is to integrate new players properly. Most players performing great out there do so because they are utilized in the right ways, playing in systems that emphasize their strengths and cover their weaknesses. This is especially true for leagues and teams playing in a very organized way which is obviously what Ajax under Ten Hag did. But since you're bringing in the coach as well I'm positive he will know how to integrate players such as Antony, de Jong or maybe even van de Beek.

Sancho by the way is a similar case. He was a terrible fit for your play style when you bought him and it was foreseeable that he would have a difficult time. Hopefully that changes under Ten Hag as well.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If the price is reasonable, It’s worth to taking risk. But at the same time, what about Amad and Pellistri? I think we should go for a versatile forward in this window.
You've also got Martial that will have to be given 'another chance' because there is no interest from anywhere to take him away.
Personally, I just think that this Antony saga is unnecessary at this time, we don't have the budget to be blowing another £50M or £60M on our umpteenth 'versatile forward' no matter how good he might be.
For £60M we could very likely get both, a quality RB & DM, which would be money much, much better spent in my opinion.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On this forum everything is labelled as a saga, there is no Antony saga. :lol:

Mainoldo

The Antony saga is defo about to kick into play by next week.

Going by his latest Hairstyle he’s already gone full Super Saiyan form.

JPRouve

Scout
There always is though when we’re involved :lol::rolleyes:
There isn't, people are just too eager to read the same report several times per day from different people. And they don't do the same thing for other clubs that are in talks with clubs and players for months.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Point in case Chelsea been prepping a new bid for a while now & if this was United, people would be throwing around “preparing fc” all over the shop

JPRouve

Scout
Point in case Chelsea been prepping a new bid for a while now & if this was United, people would be throwing around “preparing fc” all over the shop

It was reported that Real Madrid were in talks with Tchouaméni representatives in January, yet neither the transfer fee nor personal agreements were found a week before they signed him, it's nearly 5 months between those talks and the conclusion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Liverpool were having bids rejected for fecking Calvin Ramsey, who only cost them 6.5m once it was eventually agreed. Even at such fees they didn’t ‘just pay the money’. And then there is just the obvious fact that a relatively small percentage of all the PL business for the summer has likely been completed so far. So you have to ask what everyone has been doing?

Spurs still haven’t got the Djed Spence deal over the line!

RedDevilRoshi

Liverpool were having bids rejected for fecking Calvin Ramsey, who only cost them 6.5m once it was eventually agreed. Even at such fees they didn’t ‘just pay the money’. And then there is just the obvious fact that a relatively small percentage of all the PL business for the summer has likely been completed so far. So you have to ask what everyone has been doing?

Spurs still haven’t got the Djed Spence deal over the line!
For clubs in Scotland outside the OF, fees like the one Aberdeen got from Liverpool for Ramsey are absolutely huge for those clubs even though they look like peanuts to us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Chelsea are undergoing structural change that United had completed since November last year. They're relieving the likes of Cech and Marina whilst also working transfers.

If you want to compare, look at Spurs, Arsenal, City and Liverpool. But you wouldn't do that because it obviously proves you wrong,

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For clubs in Scotland outside the OF, fees like the one Aberdeen got from Liverpool for Ramsey are absolutely huge for those clubs even though they look like peanuts to us.
Point being it is not a huge sum to Liverpool but they still didn’t just pay it, they had bids rejected and negotiated to get to that fee.

Suv666

The notion that only we drag out transfers has been rubbished a long time ago. Why do people keep talking about this

Status
Not open for further replies.