Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Can we do a swap with them ?

Ronaldo for antony.

Ronaldo gets the CL he wants and might win the league title in another country.

Win Win.

Aeryis

Sucks if Ajax lowers the price tag. With Sancho, Ronaldo, and him that'll be quite a slow front 3.

Antony aint slow mate. He's pretty rapid in a foot race.
Replying here since my minimum has been reached. I've watched a lot of his matches to see what I should expect, and yes he is quite slow for a winger. He's got decent top speed but his burst of acceleration during his first 3-5 steps are quite slow, which prohibits him from being direct and taking his man on. He tends to slow down play a lot, shift to his strong foot, and play a cut back pass or cross quite a lot. He reminds me a lot of Ziyech in that sense, just with a bit quicker and lot more flashy tricks. I watched about 11 games of his and he barely dribbles past his man. Granted not an entire season worth of games, but enough for me to know what to expect from him. He won't complement our current set of players, we need a player that's rapid and direct to complement with the other two forwards. Just my two cents. Being a fan of football is a matter of opinion, and mine is I don't expect him to succeed here.

Last edited:

Chief123

Can we do a swap with them ?

Ronaldo for antony.

Ronaldo gets the CL he wants and might win the league title in another country.

Win Win.
I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that Antony would be a suitable replacement for Ronaldo. I just don't understand it. From what I have seen of Antony, he certainly isn't a player who would be able to play centrally especially in the physical premier league. He's an Angel Di Maria type profile who'll chip in with goals and get plenty of assists. But he's certainly not someone we can bring in as our main "striker". If that is the solution, then I'd be worried. He's a supplier more than a finisher.
Sucks if Ajax lowers the price tag. With Sancho, Ronaldo, and him that'll be quite a slow front 3.

copen1945

With the uncertainly about Ronnie, we must do everything to get him. Under Erik's coaching, hopefully, he will be a revelation.

bosskeano

was honestly surprised we weren't showing interest in Arnaut Danjuma right from the beginning....he was very good against us in the matches we've played recently

Antony makes sense and hopefully we get that one across the line....maybe the ronaldo situation has forced their hand a bit along with the possible movement by Wet Spam looking at Danjuma

croadyman

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions that Antony would be a suitable replacement for Ronaldo. I just don't understand it. From what I have seen of Antony, he certainly isn't a player who would be able to play centrally especially in the physical premier league. He's an Angel Di Maria type profile who'll chip in with goals and get plenty of assists. But he's certainly not someone we can bring in as our main "striker". If that is the solution, then I'd be worried. He's a supplier more than a finisher.

Yeah losing Ronny's goal output would be crippling and you don't cover it with just Antony

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
80m seems about right for the current market.
Based on what? He's had one decent season in a 2nd rate or even 3rd rate European League.

80m for him at this stage is madness. He's not worth that one bit. We didn't even pay that much for Sancho who was far more established playing in a better league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
2 wingers is pretty batshit crazy, especially if we lose Ronaldo. ETH will go down in my estimation if he doesn't get Sancho going. We've about 4 players who want to play LW, so I see no point in Danjuma. Just doesn't make sense at all.
I believe we’ve been interested in Danjuma for a long time now and see him potentially as a central option.

Demaw

Replying here since my minimum has been reached. I've watched a lot of his matches to see what I should expect, and yes he is quite slow for a winger. He's got decent top speed but his burst of acceleration during his first 3-5 steps are quite slow, which prohibits him from being direct and taking his man on. He tends to slow down play a lot, shift to his strong foot, and play a cut back pass or cross quite a lot. He reminds me a lot of Ziyech in that sense, just with a bit quicker and lot more flashy tricks. I watched about 11 games of his and he barely dribbles past his man. Granted not an entire season worth of games, but enough for me to know what to expect from him. He won't complement our current set of players, we need a player that's rapid and direct to complement with the other two forwards. Just my two cents. Being a fan of football is a matter of opinion, and mine is I don't expect him to succeed here.
That's an issue with his take off speed, I think this is the problem with Amad as well. I think Amad is so skillful but no sure of his position as yet.

Giggs' right foot

Based on what? He's had one decent season in a 2nd rate or even 3rd rate European League.

80m for him at this stage is madness. He's not worth that one bit. We didn't even pay that much for Sancho who was far more established playing in a better league.
Well, in this market a season can do that?

Look at Osimhen, Nicolas Pépé, Darwin Núñes or Joao Felix. All from sub-top leagues - all one great season players, and all going for massive sums.

I'm not justifying anything, but that Ajax-estimation is probably based off of deals like the mentioned and many more.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I believe we’ve been interested in Danjuma for a long time now and see him potentially as a central option.
They're saying we want 2 wingers though aren't they? And that they are Antony and Danjuma.

Would be odd to purposefully sign a player to play him in a completely different role. Why not just sign a player that is relatively proven in that sort of role?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

I too noticed his reluctance to take on his man. Unless the right fullback provides a lot of support on the overlap, he tends to struggle.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They're saying we want 2 wingers though aren't they? And that they are Antony and Danjuma.

Would be odd to purposefully sign a player to play him in a completely different role. Why not just sign a player that is relatively proven in that sort of role?
Because of the lack of options in the role required. There has been talk over the past year of Danjuma being seen as a ‘modern’ forward by us. I think the interest is certainly there, and not as simple as us looking for someone to play on the left.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
60/65m euro is what I consider about right because Diaz cost 60m euro (45m euro plus 15m adds on). Anything higher than 65m euro is just no IMO, way too high considering Liverpool got Diaz for 60m euro.

Annouchez

Marcus Rashford has bags of pace. Daniel James did too. Martial ain’t slow either.

I know what you are saying here and by no means am I saying you’re wrong, I just want to add pace doesn’t always mean success. If a lack of pace means we have more technical players that are better on the ball I’d take that all day over the kick and run tactics.

Also… We would still have pace on the bench to bring on if needed.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
60/65m euro is what I consider about right because Diaz cost 60m euro (45m euro plus 15m adds on). Anything higher than 65m euro is just no IMO, way too high considering Liverpool got Diaz for 60m euro.
Diaz was acquired from the same type of league (Portuguese/Dutch is pretty equal) and was acquired at 24 y/o. Antony is 22 and also part of the Brazil NT and started the last 2 games for them before he got injured. Antony should be more expensive than Diaz. Especially considering Ajax don't have to sell (3 year contract left) and don't want to sell.

As for the above mentioned video and tweet quoting Marcel van der Kraan on the price tag. I do agree to some extent that Ajax put a €80m price tag to scare people off. I can see Ajax accepting a lower fee, but not 60/65. Maybe a basic fee of €65m and add ons taking it to around €75m. That's about the lowest I can see Ajax sell Antony for.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Diaz was acquired from the same type of league (Portuguese/Dutch is pretty equal) and was acquired at 24 y/o. Antony is 22 and also part of the Brazil NT and started the last 2 games for them before he got injured. Antony should be more expensive than Diaz. Especially considering Ajax don't have to sell (3 year contract left) and don't want to sell.

As for the above mentioned video and tweet quoting Marcel van der Kraan on the price tag. I do agree to some extent that Ajax put a €80m price tag to scare people off. I can see Ajax accepting a lower fee, but not 60/65. Maybe a basic fee of €65m and add ons taking it to around €75m. That's about the lowest I can see Ajax sell Antony for.
I disagree here. Diaz scored 14 league goals and 4 assists in 18 league games, which earns him the fees. Antony could be more talented due to his age being younger as Diaz wasn’t as good as Antony in the same age but it’s not proven yet that he could hit 18 G/A in 18 league games. Prove it first that he deserves big value.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I disagree here. Diaz scored 14 league goals and 4 assists in 18 league games, which earns him the fees. Antony could be more talented due to his age being younger as Diaz wasn’t as good as Antony in the same age but it’s not proven yet that he could hit 18 G/A in 18 league games.
Your determination to attach Luis Diaz to Antony is a but odd. They are not the same person. Why on Earth does Antony’s price need to be based on Luis Diaz’?

And just because Diaz was bought for a certain price does not mean that Liverpool wouldn’t have bought him for 15m more if they were required to. Prices are made up of a variety of factors.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Your determination to attach Luis Diaz to Antony is a but odd. They are not the same person. Why on Earth does Antony’s price need to be based on Luis Diaz’?

And just because Diaz was bought for a certain price does not mean that Liverpool wouldn’t have bought him for 15m more if they were required to. Prices are made up of a variety of factors.
That’s just how much I believe the reasonable value of wingers in this market. Liverpool got it for reasonable value.

croadyman

I find it scary that we are talking about Antony replacing Ronaldo when quite frankly we need two forward players to do that

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Do you think Tadic is better than the likes of Giroud and Fellaini for this battering ram role?
I disagree here. Diaz scored 14 league goals and 4 assists in 18 league games, which earns him the fees. Antony could be more talented due to his age being younger as Diaz wasn’t as good as Antony in the same age but it’s not proven yet that he could hit 18 G/A in 18 league games. Prove it first that he deserves big value.
Talent and potential is also a part of the price tag, as well as amount of time left on the contract. Ajax does not want to sell and Ajax doesn't have to sell and can therefore ask a much higher fee than may seem reasonable based on his stats.

In my honest opinion €60m is a decent fee for Antony looking at his talent, potential and what he's done so far. However as mentioned Ajax dont want to sell, hold the leverage of a 3 yr contract and Antony has shown all the talent to have realastic belief that his stats can explode any moment. With another CL stage and possibly WC stage to possibly shine on, Antony's value could potentially increase significantly. For this reason Ajax doesn't and shouldn't sell for a reasonable fee now. Ajax can sell for 55/60m next year if Antony doesn't do anything special next season. If he does explode however, which is very possible for a player with his talent, and especially if he does that on the right stage (CL/WC), then Antony could easily be a €80-90m player next year. Ajax would be stupid to sell him for a modest €60m now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Talent and potential is also a part of the price tag, as well as amount of time left on the contract. Ajax does not want to sell and Ajax doesn't have to sell and can therefore ask a much higher fee than may seem reasonable based on his stats.

In my honest opinion €60m is a decent fee for Antony looking at his talent, potential and what he's done so far. However as mentioned Ajax dont want to sell, hold the leverage of a 3 yr contract and Antony has shown all the talent to have realastic belief that his stats can explode any moment. With another CL stage and possibly WC stage to possibly shine on, Antony's value could potentially increase significantly. For this reason Ajax doesn't and shouldn't sell for a reasonable fee now. Ajax can sell for 55/60m next year if Antony doesn't do anything special next season. If he does explode however, which is very possible for a player with his talent, and especially if he does that on the right stage (CL/WC), then Antony could easily be a €80-90m player next year. Ajax would be stupid to sell him for a modest €60m now.
I literally said the fees should be 60m-65m euro. And you just told me the decent fees is 60m euro. I’m not too sure what are you trying to go against on my statement and valuation.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I literally said the fees should be 60m-65m euro. And you just told me the decent fees is 60m euro. I’m not too sure what are you trying to go against on my statement and valuation.
He said that he agrees with you, and then explained why Ajax have no obligation to charge what is considered the most reasonable fee.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Because you are completely ignoring the fact that Ajax doesn't want to sell him and has no reason to sell him for a decent fee. You sell for a decent fee when you want to get rid, or feel like the player will be worth less a year later. When you really want to keep the player and have all the reason to believe that the players value will increase in the future, theres no reason to sell for just a modest/decent fee. That's why it's realistic that Ajax demands €80m. You pay more because Ajax don't want or need to sell. As said, Ajax would be very stupid to sell Antony for €60-65m now.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Danjuma is more of a striker nowadays, who played as a winger previously. So all good.

Also, he has Dutch citizenship, so still a Dutch/Ajax connection remains.

Soooo, currently our transfer window looks like this:

De Jong (Dutch + Ajax)
Antony (Ajax)
Eriksen (Ajax)
Malacia (Dutch)
Danjuma (Dutch)
Timber (Dutch, Ajax)
Martinez (Ajax)

het is tijd voor wij starten in nederlaanse taal spreken

macheda14

That's exactly what happened though. They enquired, he was quoted as being more expensive, Liverpool walked away and then right at the end of the window Spurs agreed a lower fee and Liverpool jumped on it. So no, Liverpool wouldn't have bought him for 15m more.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Danjuma is more of a striker nowadays, who played as a winger previously. So all good.

De Jong (Dutch + Ajax)
Antony (Ajax)
Eriksen (Ajax)
Malacia (Dutch)
Danjuma (Dutch)
Timber (Dutch, Ajax)
Martinez (Ajax)

Neuken in de kueken

Stacks

De Jong (Dutch + Ajax)
Antony (Ajax)
Eriksen (Ajax)
Malacia (Dutch)
Danjuma (Dutch)
Timber (Dutch, Ajax)
Martinez (Ajax)

Its a bit basic and especially since the netherlands aren't very good it would be silly if that was the strategy TBH. Very limiting and doesn't translate to success

Status
Not open for further replies.