Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its a bit basic and especially since the netherlands aren't very good it would be silly if that was the strategy TBH. Very limiting and doesn't translate to success
Half of the players we are linked with are not even Dutch. Those trying to force some sort of Ajax link with Eriksen are just ridiculous and symptomatic of the tabloid-style conversation around football today. Eriksen (not Dutch) played for Ajax a decade ago ffs. That’s like saying Barcelona continued their Ajax traditions by buying Suarez.

Of course, Antony and Martinez also bear no relevance to the current standard of the Dutch team. And De Jong plays for Barcelona. Danjuma has also long proven himself outside of Holland.

Telsim

I assumed this was off considering our interest in Martinez. Are Ajax really open to selling us both him and Antony? I can't see both deals happening, unless we splurge on Antony, which we shouldn't do.

croadyman

I assumed this was off considering our interest in Martinez. Are Ajax really open to selling us both him and Antony? I can't see both deals happening, unless we splurge on Antony, which we shouldn't do.
Either go for him later in the window or may switch target to someone like Asensio

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He said that he agrees with you, and then explained why Ajax have no obligation to charge what is considered the most reasonable fee.
Because you are completely ignoring the fact that Ajax doesn't want to sell him and has no reason to sell him for a decent fee. You sell for a decent fee when you want to get rid, or feel like the player will be worth less a year later. When you really want to keep the player and have all the reason to believe that the players value will increase in the future, theres no reason to sell for just a modest/decent fee. That's why it's realistic that Ajax demands €80m. You pay more because Ajax don't want or need to sell. As said, Ajax would be very stupid to sell Antony for €60-65m now.
I haven’t completely ignoring it because what I said was that 60m-65m euro is what I see his valuation right now, anything higher (which what some report said) is too much means we can just move on from Antony if Ajax demand higher than 65m euro. Not every transfer we should pay whatever the club wants, I don’t understand what makes you think I don’t think we could move on from Antony, not sure what you are arguing here.

flameinthesun

From watching vids of Ajax's style and patterns of play, this guy seems to be integral to it. He genuinely keeps to the touchline allowing them to keep their width but at the right times makes the runs inside. The amount of times you see them building play on the left and then switch to the right where he is completely free. Have a feeling he would be an important piece of the puzzle. Hopefully we can get him later in the window if we get some more players off our books.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don’t see Antony playing in the Dutch league next year. He’ll feel it’s time to move on.
Is this guy really good enough. I didn't watch Ajax at all last season so don't know. If not, I'd rather spend the money on an out-and-out centre forward (if such a thing exists)

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Is this guy really good enough. I didn't watch Ajax at all last season so don't know. If not, I'd rather spend the money on an out-and-out centre forward (if such a thing exists)
I think he’s very good personally - watching his most recent Brazil games he seems to be improving all the time. We need him regardless of Ronaldo - I’d like a Nkunku type to replace Ronaldo.

croadyman

I think he’s very good personally - watching his most recent Brazil games he seems to be improving all the time. We need him regardless of Ronaldo - I’d like a Nkunku type to replace Ronaldo.
Yeah no doubt we need him and a CF

-Supreme-

ETH recently said that ‘if Anthony were to go, it would be a loss for Ajax, because you have no one in the current selection who can take over his position.”

It will be intersting to see how this develops after the potential acquisition of Bergwijn and can he play on the right?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Tadic, he's been very productive there. Bergwijn either plays through the middle or on the right.
Tadic is also struggling more and more with his pace on the left. Bergwijn won't play on the right. General consensus is he'll play on the left, Tadic move back to being a false 9 or play as a #10.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If you wait a month, it gives Ajax a lot less time to get a proper replacement. It will just make the deal a lot less likely.
I'm sure they won't wait a month to let Ajax know

red thru&thru

Think this will be our last signing. We'll sort FdJ/another CM, Martinez and then Antony. Whether we sign Dybala in amongst is a possibility too, but I don't think we've heard the last of this one.
Agreed. It has gone too quiet, with no confirmation from credible sources saying that we've ended our pursuit.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The only thing that is certain is that Antony is leaving Ajax. If it's signing for us, that's a different story.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Agree with some of you. We bought two, in next 10 days we will (i hope) finish Lisandro and De Jong.
After those 4 (and before season starts) we will slowly try to find striker and backup goalkeeper while dealing with outgoings.

And then, in August, we will try to sign Antony and we will wait until deadline with him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What makes you certain that he is leaving?
His market perception is very high at the moment, there are several top clubs interested in hiring him ASAP and Ajax rarely keep players when they think their value has reached their top. And the contract expires in 3 years which still guarantees a higher fee on the sale for Ajax.

Zippycup

I hope so.
I know little about him but from the little I have seen he looks good.

It's usually a good sign when a manger goes to his old club to sign a player.

Remember the geese

His market perception is very high at the moment, there are several top clubs interested in hiring him ASAP and Ajax rarely keep players when they think their value has reached their top. And the contract expires in 3 years which still guarantees a higher fee on the sale for Ajax.
Think it depends on the fee. If he can be signed for £50m give or take, then possibly.

Rolaholic

Refusing 60m for him is madness, they alteady signed a suitable replacement for half that in Bergwijn

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I like Anthony but we have a lot of players who can play out wide, if Ronaldo does end up leaving we need to save every penny to look for a striker.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Refusing 60m for him is madness, they alteady signed a suitable replacement for half that in Bergwijn
I'm guessing they've already raised more than enough funds this window, especially with Martinez presumably heading out the door too.

They'll certainly be able to get that amount again (at a minimum) for him next year. He'll easily improve on his figures from last season.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I like Anthony but we have a lot of players who can play out wide, if Ronaldo does end up leaving we need to save every penny to look for a striker.
I don't think we've got anyone who naturally holds down the RW like he does. They all prefer cutting in from the left.

If Ronaldo goes, given the dire ST market, I'd rather play with Bruno in the false 9/Rashford through the middle and go all-in for Antony than waste a load of cash on a second rate out-and-out ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.