Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I honestly think the best thing on the market is Cody Gakpo doing a Van Persie. Too bad he's convinced he's a winger.
Agree with the Gakpo shout. Looks a nailed on centre forward for me, and more interesting than most of the other young striker options on the market. Ekitike has gone now, but he was another who interested me. And of course Joao Felix, although he of course is a different tax bracket!

Mr PG

What's this nonsense about not wanting to anger Ajax. We're paying them! They're a listed company FFS :lol:
Ajax fleeced us for Vdb and had no qualms extracting the last penny for Martinez so f**k them.

House Mkhitaryan

I honestly think the best thing on the market is Cody Gakpo doing a Van Persie. Too bad he's convinced he's a winger.
Gakpo's WhoScored stats are pretty eyepopping... 22 games started (+5 sub appearances), 12 goals, 13 assists, 9 MOMs, 7.79 rating. Only players in top 6 leagues with higher rating are: Mbappe, Lewandowski, Sinesterra & Tadic in Eredivisie, and Luis Diaz in Portugal.

His target/template thing is also insane:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Gakpo's WhoScored stats are pretty eyepopping... 22 games started (+5 sub appearances), 12 goals, 13 assists, 9 MOMs, 7.79 rating. Only players in top 6 leagues with higher rating are: Mbappe, Lewandowski, Sinesterra & Tadic in Eredivisie, and Luis Diaz in Portugal.

His target/template thing is also insane:

Watched some of his highlights and he looks really good. He's like Rashford and Greenwood rolled in one

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
Ajax fleeced us for Vdb and had no qualms extracting the last penny for Martinez so f**k them.
Martinez was a key player we didn’t wánt to let go. Though Man Utd (and in particular TH) persisted. Well, that makes the price both high and also valid. It even more counts for Antony, so I say Man Utd’d better go for Gakpo from PSV while he is attractable and you also do not have to pay them too much. They attracted about 6 players like Til, Benitez, L de Jong etc for not more then 6m euro all together. So they do not need the money. Free tip!

Last edited:

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
Martinez was a key player we didn’t wánt to let go. Though Man Utd (and in particular TH) persisted. Well, that makes the price both high and also valid. It even more counts for Antony, so I say Man Utd’d better go for Gakpo from PSV while he is attractable and you also do not have to pay them too much. They attracted about 6 players like Til, Benitez, L de Jong etc for not more then 6m euro all together. So they do not need the money. Free tip!
I also think Gakpo is a huge talent but i think he is injury prone. So i wonder how that would play out in the premier league. Talentwise i think he has everything to become a top player. As for Anthony, I think Ajax only want to sell him after the worldcup. But thats a gamble since his competitor is Raphina and if he does well at barcelona Anthony will be on the bench.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The only player im excited about, he's either going to tear up the league or become like nani! The latter is still an upgrade on rashford so nothing to lose here.

Trex

Not £20-30million for sure, which is what we'd need to make up with the up front cost to match Ajax's valuation. So this offer (if true) will almost certainly be rejected.
Not a bad first bid then if there's any truth to this.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nani seems to be the same as Berbatov in that an overall underwhelming United career is now seen as legendary by those who cannot remember or just see any talent part of that successful era as a legend given the shit we've seen since.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nani seems to be the same as Berbatov in that an overall underwhelming United career is now seen as legendary by those who cannot remember or just see any talent part of that successful era as a legend given the shit we've seen since.
Nani was a very good player for us. I don't ever feel he was underwhelming.

Cypriot

He was always very controversial, and inconsistent is exactly how you'd describe him. That being said it's not nostalgia when I say that I'd kill for a player like him now - so direct, tricky, two footed, a great shot, great pass. A young Nani in today's game would go for a huge fee.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

Not sure about the reliability of soccernewsnl but this one on reddit is pretty reliable apparently so it kind of adds up
Hamsterlaar(a portmanteau of Huntelaar and Hamstra, the technical directors of Ajax) is a pretty new twitter account but had information about players a week before the Tier 1s, so might become a Tier 1, to soon to say though

jamesjimmybyrondean

Hamsterlaar(a portmanteau of Huntelaar and Hamstra, the technical directors of Ajax) is a pretty new twitter account but had information about players a week before the Tier 1s, so might become a Tier 1, to soon to say though
Yeah saw that he's apparently ITK not a journalist but seems like a genuine ITK

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Can't we offer ronaldo to ajax ?

Get antony on the cheap. Win-Win.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is indeed very true. Although less so about Berbatov, I don't see him glorified to the same degree. Nani had one incredible season in 10/11 I think it was before Carragher stopped him. Other than that, was generally flashes here and there.

Lad had some incredible ability though, and scored some memorable goals.

House Mkhitaryan

Nani, Berbatov and others (e.g. Da Silva twins, etc.) were seen as underwhelming at the time but after a decade of real misery, it's not surprising these guys look great in comparison.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Haven't Ajax just bought a right back in Wijndal?

Maybe offer them Tuanzebe / Chong or Amad instead?
Wijndal is a left back and Ajax probably isn't interested in players that wouldn't make it here, because that means they'll never be able to resell them with a profit

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Completely inconsistent from one game to the next. Went months and sometimes even whole seasons contributing absolutely nothing. Even in his best season 2010/11 he was almost irrelevant in the second half of the season. When we signed him he had the potential to be the best player in the world. Definitely underwhelming.

Just because he was underwhelming doesn’t mean he was a flop. Far from it. This is the point I’m making. We’ve had so many genuinely awful flops since that the likes of Nani are now seen as great.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Completely inconsistent from one game to the next. Went months and sometimes even whole seasons contributing absolutely nothing. Even in his best season 2010/11 he was almost irrelevant in the second half of the season. When we signed him he had the potential to be the best player in the world. Definitely underwhelming.

Just because he was underwhelming doesn’t mean he was a flop. Far from it. This is the point I’m making. We’ve had so many genuinely awful flops since that the likes of Nani are now seen as great.
Quite a lot of hyperbole there. He wasn't that inconsistent

Waynne

Watched some of his highlights and he looks really good. He's like Rashford and Greenwood rolled in one
Looks like a player if you turn up all his stats to 99 in Fifa. Just crazy how direct he is but also has the smarts to play in others in or around the goal area and he has a cannon of a right foot.
Crazy how he is often fouled too running an at the opposition.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd give Laird up as part of a deal for Antony in this case, United can always add a buy back or go shopping for a full back another window

Leg-End

Laird is good and has the potential to be really good but I would give him up in a heartbeat to get Antony at a decent price, we need to improve immediately, not 2-3 years from now which is what Laird needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.