Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

Laird could do well in a League like the Eredivisie & if we could insert some kind of buy-back it would be a good makeweight in any Antony deal.

El Presidente

maybe....but Tuanzebe is a CB while Laird is not so it would fit a need they have more so than offering Laird
Still, his market price is so insignificant that it wouldn't really bring us closer to an agreement. To be fair, Ajax's asking price is absolutely insane anyway, hopefully we wouldn't entertain it.

Strootman's Finger

I would think from Ajax's perspective 40 mil plus Amad might be a better deal, he's basically a like for like replacement. He doesn't look up to it at United, but he may thrive in the Eredivisie and get his career back on track.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I would think from Ajax's perspective 40 mil plus Amad might be a better deal, he's basically a like for like replacement. He doesn't look up to it at United, but he may thrive in the Eredivisie and get his career back on track.
Amad just turned 20 I think he just needs more time

Strootman's Finger

Amad just turned 20 I think he just needs more time
He looked bad at Rangers, and quite frankly I have never seen him do much to give me any hope at United. Insert a buyback clause, make it a 2 year loan. I gotta imagine Amad is more appealing than Laird, or maybe even Pellestri.

El Presidente

Hopefully we back our new manager, whatever that means.
I'm absolutely for backing ten Hag, but we spent the last couple of years trying to prove that we are a different United that wouldn't overpay unnecessarily. That sentiment would look pretty stupid if we end up paying some 130m to Ajax for Lisandro and Antony.
Let's just say that there's a fine line between backing your manager and going suicide mode. Antony's market price is 35m, btw.

bosskeano

Still, his market price is so insignificant that it wouldn't really bring us closer to an agreement. To be fair, Ajax's asking price is absolutely insane anyway, hopefully we wouldn't entertain it.
In today's market, 20m for Tuanzebe isn't an out of the norm price....so that 60m which is basically what Ajax want for him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We have a option to extend Laird's contract until 2024. And I think with how things have transpired with him over the years with injury setbacks, it might be the right time for Laird to move on. I rated Laird highly whilst he was making his way through the ranks. But I think for him to move to Ajax would be a potentially very good move for both the player and Ajax.

So if can get a fee of 10 to 15m for him and add that to signing Antony, I think that would be a good move all-round. Ajax will have a young RB who will have the potential to develop further and who they can then make a profit on in a few years.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
We have a option to extend Laird's contract until 2024. And I think with how things have transpired with him over the years with injury setbacks, it might be the right time for Laird to move on. I rated Laird highly whilst he was making his way through the ranks. But I think for him to move to Ajax would be a potentially very good move for both the player and Ajax.

So if can get a fee of 10 to 15m for him and add that to signing Antony, I think that would be a good move all-round. Ajax will have a young RB who will have the potential to develop further and who they can then make a profit on in a few years.
Always the option to try and get a reasonable buy back clause in too.

Dannn411

He looked bad at Rangers, and quite frankly I have never seen him do much to give me any hope at United. Insert a buyback clause, make it a 2 year loan. I gotta imagine Amad is more appealing than Laird, or maybe even Pellestri.
The guy has been played out of position regularly and somehow he's expected to hit the ground running. Already being written off. At 20. Little wonder why young stars hesitate to join us. Serie A's brightest youngster by a distance when he was signed and all we've done is barely play him, send him out on loan to a terrible situation and not use him in the correct position when he finally gets the chance to play. But yet he's supposed to just magically have it.

Eddy_JukeZ

We need another attacker that can contribute.

We're a bit barren in attack regardless of Ronaldo staying or not.

the_cliff

We need another attacker that can contribute.

We're a bit barren in attack regardless of Ronaldo staying or not.
Agreed, and it would have to be a rw. I know Sancho is playing well on the right but the drop off in quality between him and our bench option is shocking.

Sancho/Rashford on the left is good enough. We need a cf (if Ronaldo leaves) and a rw.

croadyman

Agreed, and it would have to be a rw. I know Sancho is playing well on the right but the drop off in quality between him and our bench option is shocking.

Sancho/Rashford on the left is good enough. We need a cf (if Ronaldo leaves) and a rw.
We will only get one of RW & CF and yes I know that's nowhere near enough, particularly with not much talk on RB too

Last edited:

bosskeano

i'm telling you....we need to get this guy for our attack or we are going to have a long fuking year

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
I'd give Laird up as part of a deal for Antony in this case, United can always add a buy back or go shopping for a full back another window
Nice ideas and all, but Antony (without a ‘h’! ) is not for sale. So that would be an issue.
Ajax is in latest years way more capable to financially improve contracts in a way to keep their squad together. There is no big need to sell players like about 7 / 8 years ago.That’s also why Martinez was transfered for the amount paid. Because he himself really wanted to move to the PL and asked Ajax to go and talk with Man Utd ánd the requested price was paid. Plus the knowledge that a replacement is available in Bassey (let’s hope he is, mostly scouting is promising at Ajax).
Consistency in CL and financials is key for Ajax to keep producing attractive football and cool youngsters!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I don't buy his "injury". They shut him down for the season 2 months before it ended, and it wasn't a surgical issue, just an ankle injury.

I think he's negotiating something and thus not playing

ti vu

When did two for one ever happen
While it's not technically two or more for one on the book, plenty of that happened when it's involved Italian clubs. Most notable one is Thiago Silva and Zlatan sale to PSG where as it's reported as combined 2 for one fee.

We're having a firesale. You're welcomed, Ajax.

Highfather_24

I dont get the hardball from Ajax regarding United. They act as if we have raided their entire club, when in reality, we just bought ONE player, and that too most would say in a overpriced fee.

Bayern seem to have raided Ajax more, but they dont seem to mind. Weird that they will bend over for other clubs, but suddenly find a spine when its comes to United.

Drizzle

I dont get the hardball from Ajax regarding United. They act as if we have raided their entire club, when in reality, we just bought ONE player, and that too most would say in a overpriced fee.

Bayern seem to have raided Ajax more, but they dont seem to mind. Weird that they will bend over for other clubs, but suddenly find a spine when its comes to United.
They're not playing hardball specifically with us. It's just that now they've sold 5 or 6 players it's time to put up the Shop Closed sign, unless any buyer can make it worth their while to reopen the shop.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Is this Antony injury serious? When is he due back playing?
he's fully back to training. So soon

They're not playing hardball specifically with us. It's just that now they've sold 5 or 6 players it's time to put up the Shop Closed sign, unless any buyer can make it worth their while to reopen the shop.
Not even that, they clearly said Antony is not for sale unless you pay this ridiculously high price, like with Martinez. So either Utd pays up or it's not going to happen

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
he's fully back to training. So soon

Not even that, they clearly said Antony is not for sale unless you pay this ridiculously high price, like with Martinez. So either Utd pays up or it's not going to happen
Ok thanks. So if there is anything to this then we would be seeing movement now or soon.

We've apparently been quoted 80m euros, do you believe that? What do you think Ajax would be willing to accept for him?

Trex

VDB, ETH and Martinez, interest in Antony and Timber...they're becoming our feeder team.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Which successful teams in recent years have had slow wingers with little pace on both sides?

Mahrez certainly isn’t slow. I would class him as a player with pace. Regardless, they’ve had Sterling who has pace to burn. Sane before him.

Liverpool have and had pace to burn.

There’s no point trying to argue that no pace on the wings is just as effective as having pace.
Probably Leicester… Mahrez and Albrighton ain’t exactly rapid.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ok thanks. So if there is anything to this then we would be seeing movement now or soon.

We've apparently been quoted 80m euros, do you believe that? What do you think Ajax would be willing to accept for him?
yeah, the initial asking price was rumoured to be 70-80m euros with 50-60 for Martinez. The Martinez one turned out to be spot on, so i'm guessing that Antony one is also correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.