Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

I hadn’t realised/forgot he did that already.

I do think though he will become a flying fullback in the future. He reminds me of Alfonso Davies, and with Antony looking to cut inside he would get a lot of space to motor into.

Obviously defensively would require work, but with his speed and work rate he would be hard to get passed on the outside.
Our defenders will be under a lot more pressure defensively where there will more 1v1 situations when we are expected to play on the front foot, he will need to deliver to a high level offensively to compensate his potential weakness and of course we will not know that until he’s given a run of games.. Nevertheless, I expect ETH to coach some of our players to move into different roles, and Elanga at RB has potential and we can prioritise our transfer budget on other areas of the team.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Nunez may be a donkey for all i care, he's an upgrade on martial and rashford.
Unproven at top level and one good season with Benfica isnt enough to get excited about him and to spend so much on him. Id rather spend the same amount and FDJ in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Antony is naturally a more talented player than Nkunku imo. But Nkunku can be utilised in a number of positions and can perform tasks effectively. So when it comes down to being more effective right now for the team, then Nkunku does look the better option.

But if we look at the composition of our squad and look deeply into team balance, then Antony being a natural fit for the RWF role should be prioritised ahead of Nkunku imo.

Elcabron

Antony is naturally a more talented player than Nkunku imo. But Nkunku can be utilised in a number of positions and can perform tasks effectively. So when it comes down to being more effective right now for the team, then Nkunku does look the better option.

But if we look at the composition of our squad and look deeply into team balance, then Antony being a natural fit for the RWF role should be prioritised ahead of Nkunku imo.
Totally agree, squad is still too imbalanced. Last thing we need is another player who prefers to play on the left. Sancho was supposed to solve the right wing issue but it turns out we play him on the left.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Unproven at top level and one good season with Benfica isnt enough to get excited about him and to spend so much on him. Id rather spend the same amount and FDJ in.
I agree 100m is outrageous, if he was going for 50-60m then we should have jumped at it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Nkunku can play in different positions, but only one at a time. Heaven even knows where that one will be. And in isolation, there are question marks of him in each if the positions we speak of. It is only the accumulation of these roles that makes him more attractive I feel.

I agree with you that I prefer Antony. He’s a better right winger than Nkunku, and if that is where Nkunku is going to play for us, it matters little that he can also do alright in other roles.

Bojan Djordjic

His numbers are not good at all considering his league and who he plays for.

Won't pretend I've watched much of him but he'd need to nearly come in and double those numbers instantly......

We got to be building to beat City and Liverpool who are both relentless
He’s played at a high level in the champions league so his record in his own league is not entirely relevant in this case. Also, I would take comfort that ten Hag knows his capabilities.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nkunku can play in different positions, but only one at a time. Heaven even knows where that one will be. And in isolation, there are question marks of him in each if the positions we speak of. It is only the accumulation of these roles that makes him more attractive I feel.

I agree with you that I prefer Antony. He’s a better right winger than Nkunku, and if that is where Nkunku is going to play for us, it matters little that he can also do alright in other roles.
That's pretty much it. Nkunku isn't playing as a 10 or LW if we have injuries, and Antony should be better at RW.

We aren't paying 70m+ for a rotation player.

Bojan Djordjic

Lots hate his whiney attitude. I’d agree with them too, stop rolling round on the floor throwing your arms out you shithead and get on with it.
I think the problem with Bruno is that he’s the outfield version of de Gea in that he shines when we’re at our shittest. He’s very good in a counter attacking team where he can unsettle defences by moving the ball quickly into dangerous areas before teams can adjust. He’s a terrible decision maker in settled play however and often will spoil god play by taking an idiotic shot from distance out into traffic or make a risky/poorly executed pass when we’re ratcheting up pressure only to concede a counter attack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Nkunku is a utility player that has been putting up numbers in Germany and would be effective for us. But like you, I do believe Antony is the more natural fit for the RWF role. And the Brazilian is also more gifted on the ball in open play, which is often ignored by many who only look at things from a statistical perspective.

Antony is also two years younger than Nkunku and I feel if Antony can help us enhance our level in open play, then it matters not who scores or assists, because a player who helps towards making the machine functional is more dangerous for the opposition than someone that is putting up numbers without actually being as dangerous in open play. And that doesn't mean Antony won't get his share of goals and assists as he matures as a player, because he's only 22, and will improve further imo

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
An excellent video by @Raaes.

Interesting analysis that if he came to Utd he needs a better RB than Wan-Bisska or Dalot. Someone who will provide the overlapping fill back runs.

Looks a real talent.

Good video, but what’s with the weird pauses and pacing between words/sentences?

Bojan Djordjic

My concern with nkunku is that although he’s versatile, right wing seems to be the one area he doesn’t have a strong cv in and it’s probably our greatest need in our forward cohort and so I like Antony better. I’d be more concerned if we didn’t have Sancho who’s pretty versatile across the forward positions.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My concern with nkunku is that although he’s versatile, right wing seems to be the one area he doesn’t have a strong cv in and it’s probably our greatest need in our forward cohort and so I like Antony better. I’d be more concerned if we didn’t have Sancho who’s pretty versatile across the forward positions.
I agree, it makes more sense for us to go for Antony.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He looks amazing on you tube clips... flicks and tricks ... I do wonder how many flicks and tricks fail miserably and don't make the highlight vids

But hard not to hope we get him when you see what he can do

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He looks amazing on you tube clips... flicks and tricks ... I do wonder how many flicks and tricks fail miserably and don't make the highlight vids

But hard not to hope we get him when you see what he can do
not that many tbh.

I can think of that trademark spin of his failing once, in that he did it and got caught without the momentum to then get rid of it.
versus like 6-10 times I've seen it succeed.

obviously tricks, dribbles, flicks will fail every once in a while, but I'd say his success rate feels like it's pretty high

with his shots it's a very different matter though. can be pretty frustrating because his shots just aren't consistent at all, and often even if he does get them on goal they're very lacking in power.

Woziak

I had a feeling we were trying this as an alternative plan A just encase Darwin Nunez didn’t come (incidentally he would have been signed to play inverted striker and no 9) so we would then go for a creative left footed Right winger, This is our no 1 target for our likely alternative option with Marco Asensio as the no 2 target and maybe Jared Bowen also on the. List.

Looks like we are telling the selling club , we’d like to do business , but you can’t rip us off anymore and if you try well simply go for someone else of similar footballing abilities.
Perfect Window Now
Transfers out; P Jones(5), D Henderson (35),, AWB (20), A Tuanzebe (7), A Martial (23) Loans 5M T Chong, Etc -95M

Transfers In: Antony (50), NDJ(65)
P Torres (45) R Lewandowski (25), A Witsel or N Kante 25, C Errikssen (Free) +
Net spend -£115M

Obviously this is never going to happen but imagine fans on this site losing their S….if it did ?
So many would start talking about a title challenge not realising ETH just made his job twice as difficult telling either Ronaldo or Lewandowski your being rested, or Bruno or Errikssen or Rashford or Sancho or Antony or Sancho, my point is I hope we sign this kid, I like the look of his delivery but let’s not put to much pressure on him , Pellistri or A Diallo could stay and be better we just don’t know, I’m betting however he will run through brick walls for ETH and not be looking to get a big fat 5 year contract on 260k per week like another footballing mercenary like Marco Asensio from Madrid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I had a feeling we were trying this as an alternative plan A just encase Darwin Nunez didn’t come (incidentally he would have been signed to play inverted striker and no 9) so we would then go for a creative left footed Right winger, This is our no 1 target for our likely alternative option with Marco Asensio as the no 2 target and maybe Jared Bowen also on the. List.

Looks like we are telling the selling club , we’d like to do business , but you can’t rip us off anymore and if you try well simply go for someone else of similar footballing abilities.
Perfect Window Now
Transfers out; P Jones(5), D Henderson (35),, AWB (20), A Tuanzebe (7), A Martial (23) Loans 5M T Chong, Etc -95M

Transfers In: Antony (50), NDJ(65)
P Torres (45) R Lewandowski (25), A Witsel or N Kante 25, C Errikssen (Free) +
Net spend -£115M

Obviously this is never going to happen but imagine fans on this site losing their S….if it did ?
So many would start talking about a title challenge not realising ETH just made his job twice as difficult telling either Ronaldo or Lewandowski your being rested, or Bruno or Errikssen or Rashford or Sancho or Antony or Sancho, my point is I hope we sign this kid, I like the look of his delivery but let’s not put to much pressure on him , Pellistri or A Diallo could stay and be better we just don’t know, I’m betting however he will run through brick walls for ETH and not be looking to get a big fat 5 year contract on 260k per week like another footballing mercenary like Marco Asensio from Madrid.
Wait, are we in for nigel de jong?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd love him here but are we even linked with him?
Yes by a Brazilian journalist who is apparently reliable. Not broke to the english/dutch press yet though so can't be that close yet.

Stacks

His numbers are not good at all considering his league and who he plays for.

Won't pretend I've watched much of him but he'd need to nearly come in and double those numbers instantly......

We got to be building to beat City and Liverpool who are both relentless
seems to be ignored largely
This is why our team is so disjointed, B Silva doesn't get many goals or assist but he's crucial for City with his creativity, work rate and ball progression.
Anthony will bring this qualities as well, what he does will create space for others.
He doesn't look much like Bernado Silva who plays central for City. Antony just looks a typical winger. Pep told Sterling in order to play in Citeh's frontline you have to score goals so I don't get the comparison unless we are to deploy him in the middle.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What's up with his spinning technique that he has in his highlight reels?
Does it even serve any purpose other than being flashy for the sake of being so?

Stacks

Antony and Sancho would, or at least should be a lot like Ribery and Robben.
pardon?
I will admit that I have not seen much of Antony. The odd bit of Champions League and a few bits once Ten Hag was confirmed isn't enough to judge.

However, I will say I'm a bit sceptical. I remember Ziyech, who's rarely looked anything more than quite good at Chelsea, looking amazing under Ten Hag at Ajax. IMO Ziyech was further ahead of Antony when he left that right wing spot at Ajax to come to England.

Of course, its not quite the same with Ziyech and Antony. Ziyech went to a Chelsea that play a fundamentally different style to Ajax. Whereas, if we sign Antony, he'll be coming to play under a coach who knows him and who he knows. That should help his adjustment to English football significantly. I just feel like, right now, he's not a player that we should be looking to buy for anything close to €60m.

I would not be surprised to see Antony struggling with the pace, physicality and standard of refereeing in English football. If we're going to be spending tens of millions on our right wing, I think we should making a safer bet.
you are 100% correct to feel this way and is the most sensible train of thought.
Raphinha is available for 50m. I'd take him over Antony tbh. Much safer
agreed.

Trex

seems to be ignored largely

He doesn't look much like Bernado Silva who plays central for City. Antony just looks a typical winger. Pep told Sterling in order to play in Citeh's frontline you have to score goals so I don't get the comparison unless we are to deploy him in the middle.
City top scorer in the league is Debruyne on 15, Mahrez 13 and Sterling 11.
The season before this it was Gundogan on 13 goals, even the likes on Fred will get goals when we start to create chances via clear patterns of play.
I'm more interested in our players being able to move the ball with accuracy and pace alongside good movement off the ball.
Anthony knows what it takes to play under ETH so if ETH fancy bringing him here I'm on board.

Stacks

City top scorer in the league is Debruyne on 15, Mahrez 13 and Sterling 11.
The season before this it was Gundogan on 13 goals, even the likes on Fred will get goals when we start to create chances via clear patterns of play.
I'm more interested in our players being able to move the ball with accuracy and pace alongside good movement off the ball.
Anthony knows what it takes to play under ETH so if ETH fancy bringing him here I'm on board.
Didn't know they only played in one competition :eek:
Mahrez bagged 24, De Bruyne 19, Sterling 17, Foden 14
In 2020 Sterling bagged 31, Jesus 23, Aguero 23, De Bruyne 16.

they just bought a striker to lead the line so expect everyones numbers to go up again versus when they play a winger as their striker.

Fred can't shoot so thats amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.