Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But you're making my point for me. A world record for CB is currently what £85m? Even in this day and age of ridiculous spending that's for generational talents.

And you can't compare what Man Utd would pay for a generational talent vs a club like PSG who have a country behind them when buying Mbappe or Neymar.
No, it isn’t.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Laurie Whitwell and Rob Dawson reported that they want €50m for him. A few foreign journalists were mentioning between €40-€50m.
If that's the case then paying €50m for Gakpo is just as much of a wild risk too then. He's worth a cheap punt, nothing more than that just yet.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don’t think he will be sold. I think it’ll be a loan which is what Ajax tried for like all other top clubs have to do to get rid of players who they actively no longer want. He’s 29, on big wages with a 3 year contract. Very few clubs can afford a fee and paying those wages without zero resale value.
There's getting a feckload from Man United and would be replacing him with a fraction of that money with what is about as low risk a transfer as imaginable.

If they are getting 90 to 100 million and wont spend less than a third of that on his replacement due to no sell on value, that's dumb.

Ted Lasso

If he refused to train, put in a transfer request, publicly flirted with them? I don't think people would love that - considering that in theory he would be an incredible player at the peak of his powers at that point.
At that point I'd have been asking more questions around the United leadership for refusing what you'd extrapolate to a club record fee and for not looking at alternatives.

We've lost £40+ million by not selling Pogba. Probably close to that by not letting De Gea go, and he was absolutely professional about it and now we have threads left and right about his salary and utility. Jesse. Dalot. The list goes on at just our club.

If a player desperately wants a move and the club can get an extraordinary fee, it is the most sensible thing to sell them. Even when it's Ronaldo in his early twenties about to become the best player on the planet.

The big issue I would have is using a players desire to leave as an excuse for not finding suitable replacements.

ash_86

You don't get to define what Ajax is or isn't though. Ajax has ambition to be a top 10 club of the world, and they want to win the CL again. They prefer to keep their best players, and preferably for longer than 2 years. This is becoming much more possible after their successes in recent years. The sales of Frenkie and De Ligt etc, have brought Ajax to the point of being able to reject a 100m offer for their player. Exactly where clubs as Benfica and Dortmund are.
This is not a slight on Ajax. They are a very well run club no doubt what so ever. But recent history has shown that they do not block transfers if their evaluation is met and that is a fact. It's the same for Benfica or Dortmund who are run in similar way.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
what use is Depay when we need a right winger? he'd be about as useful as hog roast at a bar mitzvah on a good day
Depay is a striker rotation option. He plays false nine role. He doesn't play on the wing any more.

We're actually looking to sign Depay regardless so look forward to him i guess.

MrSingh2002

But you were arguing that?

He is obviously not worth the money but your original comparisons to Ronaldo and Bale's transfers 12/13 years ago were crazy.
Ok so let's compare him to more recent buys in the market...

Sane to Bayern
Bernard Silva offers from Barca/PSG
Jesus to Arsenal
Werner to Leipzig
Ferran Torres to Barcelona
Raphinha to Barcelona
Richarlison to Spurs
Mahrez to City

I dont believe Antony is worth £20/30/40m more than some of these players. I also think there are players available for more value that our scouting and recruitment departments should be able to get.

I hope it works out and in time that Antony looks cheap. But I wouldn't act as though this is a value for money price for this player given his career so far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You don't get to define what Ajax is or isn't though. Ajax has ambition to be a top 10 club of the world, and they want to win the CL again. They prefer to keep their best players, and preferably for longer than 2 years. This is becoming much more possible after their successes in recent years. The sales of Frenkie and De Ligt etc, have brought Ajax to the point of being able to reject a 100m offer for their player. Exactly where clubs as Benfica and Dortmund are.
Eh i think the past has shown that every club who played hardball and rejected crazy offers like this ended up regretting just not selling the player. Don't underestimate €100m, for a player who is desperate to leave.... Just a crazy situation all around.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need squad depth more than we need one star player. How many years do we buy one star but don't do enough to fix the holes all around us though?

If we buy Antony for €100m, are we going to spend for a striker, De Jong, & rb? It's doubtful, so then we'll be repeating our past mistakes imo.
We don't need 3 average attackers.
One proper attacker is enough. Eriksen is familiar with a front 3 role and so can VdB.
Sancho Rashford martial Antony is good coverage before you consider the other names.

mu4c_20le

Obviously its nice to have dreams but surely that evaporated last year when ETH left. Makes sense to have a long term goal but the cycle is over, now its time to rebuild again, and forcing an unhappy Antony to stay for one more year isn't going to change much. I don't think they are as competitive as BVB either, when they forced Jadon to stay that year it was because they still had a very strong team and just acquired Haaland as well and they were developing something special.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Sane to Bayern
Jesus to Arsenal
Werner to Leipzig
Raphinha to Barcelona
Richarlison to Spurs
Mahrez to City

I dont believe Antony is worth £20/30/40m more than some of these players. I also think there are players available for more value that our scouting and recruitment departments should be able to get.

I hope it works out and in time that Antony looks cheap. But I wouldn't act as though this is a value for money price for this player given his career so far.
But I never argued that he wasn't overpriced. You're completely changing your original point.

justsomebloke

If Ajax gets to the top 10 and win the CL on a wage budget that would put them 20th in the Premier League and is barely a quarter of Dortmund's, that would be quite a feat! If they sold Antony for 75m, it'd pretty much finance their wage costs for 3 seasons. :D So I agree it has to say something that they aren't.

Bossi

Supports
Ajax
Ajax happy to extort an absolute fortune from clubs looking to sign their players but when the shoes on the other foot suddenly they’re bitching it’s unfair. They’ve raked in a ton of cash so far this window and with the money we’re willing to pay for Antony they can easily afford the €44m for Ziyech with plenty to spare.

It is almost like clubs look in their best interest and want to sell as high as possible and buy as low as possible.

Shocker.

Also just expecting to just splash 44m on a 30 year old with no re sale value that would break our transferrecord is not going to happen.

Might as well keep Antony then. Because not sure if you have noticed lately, we don't want to and don't need to sell.

Newtonius

It just sucks you know should be celebrating hes coming not being pissed off at the price, and you can understand it, how does any professional club walk away at an 80m feck off price only to slink back two months later out of options paying 25% more...? Its just so bad, that 20 million is literally a right back. Or at least some way towards it.

TsuWave

If we do end up getting him the reaction in the match day thread will be hilarious when he messes up a quick counter by doing that carousel spin move skill he invented :wenger: Guy will send the old heads on this forum to an early grave :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If this falls through, I think we just go back in for him next summer at 60m and get him after he bitches all year. Frenkie i think is done and dusted, but Antony I think we'll keep going til we get him.

Massive Spanner

He's overpriced for a multitude of reasons. It's who Ten Hag wants and it's on him and the player to prove value for money after the transfer.
But I never said he wasn't. Why not just admit that your original comment about inflation was ridiculous and give over?

Enigma_87

You know who

Sane to Bayern
Jesus to Arsenal
Werner to Leipzig
Raphinha to Barcelona
Richarlison to Spurs
Mahrez to City

That's an awful list.

First off - "offers" doesn't exactly count as players moving clubs - it's just rumors.
Second - some of these players were surplus to their clubs.
Third - Mahrez moved like 5 years ago...

Marty1968

Sane to Bayern
Jesus to Arsenal
Werner to Leipzig
Raphinha to Barcelona
Richarlison to Spurs
Mahrez to City

Strange that you refer to Mahrez transfer as recent (which was in 2018) but forget to mention the Grealish £100m last season...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We should drop this deal. If we can get Depay for €10m, Gakpo for €25-€35m, & possibly Asensio for €40m, that's miles better than €100m for Antony alone, even if he's the best option individually. We need squad depth more.
squad depth? Depay? I mean they could add you, me and my neighbour's dog... and people say Ronaldo should never have been re-signed...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A lot of briefing from Man Utd. I think this gets done. No chance Chelsea want that type of money for Ziyech, he was only a ~£10m transfer when Man Utd were supposedly interested!

Nights

Strange that you refer to Mahrez transfer as recent (which was in 2018) but forget to mention the Grealish £100m last season...
Or Felix from Sporting to Atletico for £100+m. Or Tchoeumani from Monaco go Madrid for €100m (incl add ons).

MrSingh2002

But I never said he wasn't. Why not just admit that your original comment about inflation was ridiculous and give over?
It's one factor. It's one of many that means Antony is overpriced. No decision is made off one factor but going rates for wingers in today's market, inflation and exchange rates are factors that the club will take into account. There's no doubt about it.

Plenty of more experienced and certified wingers have been transferred in the past 2 years to know that the Ronaldo and Bale transfer fees still aren't broken regularly even with the oil money coming into football.

Neymar and Mbappe are the only transfers that are recognised as blockbuster moves which changed the market values.

The footballing world knows the Hazard, Dembele, Coutinho and Joao Felix transfers were bullshit as a result and haven't demonstrated any kind of value for money.

The clubs involved in those deals haven't made such disgusting deals since. The exception probably being Tchouameni at Madrid but he's a signing many here wanted as he could prove to be a generational talent.

Massive Spanner

It's one factor. It's one of many that means Antony is overpriced. No decision is made off one factor but going rates for wingers in today's market, inflation and exchange rates are factors that the club will take into account. There's no doubt about it.

Plenty of more experienced and certified wingers have been transferred in the past 2 years to know that the Ronaldo and Bale transfer fees still aren't broken regularly even with the oil money coming into football.

Neymar and Mbappe are the only transfers that are recognised as blockbuster moves which changed the market values.

The footballing world knows the Hazard, Dembele, Coutinho and Joao Felix transfers were bullshit as a result and haven't demonstrated any kind of value for money.

The clubs involved in those deals haven't made such disgusting deals since. The exception probably being Tchouameni at Madrid but he's a signing many here wanted as he could prove to be a generational talent.
it's not a factor, it was a hilariously stupid thing to say and now you're going on loads of weirds tangents and arguing things that were never said. Just give over.

Enigma_87

You know who
Or Felix from Sporting to Atletico for £100+m. Or Tchoeumani from Monaco go Madrid for €100m (incl add ons).
Or Lukaku €115m, Havertz €84m, Lucas Hernandez €80m, Pepe €80m, Kepa €80m and dozen others.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This is not a slight on Ajax. They are a very well run club no doubt what so ever. But recent history has shown that they do not block transfers if their evaluation is met and that is a fact. It's the same for Benfica or Dortmund who are run in similar way.
But their valuation might not have been met. It seems like their valuation is 100 million euro's, and you have him. We haven't offered that yet and are trying to get him for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.