g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is pretty OTT, I can get why Anthony is frustrated given the size of the free. However, he must also have thought he was staying at ajax for another year given how many players ajax let go earlier in the window.

I am also not sure I would describe it as an opportunity of a lifetime to play in this United team. Its a good opportunity sure but if he is anywhere near as good as eth thinks he is, there will be other opportunities
Daft comments. Go away.

saik

Meh. Use the money to get SMS and rotation striker in and let Amad and Pellistri play in Europa league and other cups for our RW. If both don't make it and fail miserably, we can always go back in for Antony next year when he will definitely won't cost as much as they are demanding now.

tomaldinho1

That kind of money can get us a decent RB and ST, if Ajax aren’t moving let’s just get him cheaper later.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well done, now I feel sick.
He's a decent RW whose quite athletic, he has decent technique and will be on the cheap. He'll act as a good backup once Ajax come back to their senses and decide to finally sell Antony and we might make a profit out of him if we're sensible regarding salaries

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's not a good sign that they've rejected our bid, but not for the obvious reason. It says to me that there's been zero negotiation before an official offer has been submitted. So they're likely not playing ball at all. I thought the silence over the last few days meant that we were probably negotiating.

Oh well, at least the slither of positivity is that the Glazers aren't buying themselves time, which I thought would be the case with the majority. I expect it'll be cranked up again now.

ForeverRed1

In the Eredevisie yes, big players want to play in the big leagues and earn proper wages.
He’s their player and they can ask what they want. He is under contract and paid by them so it’s their call to make. We either pay it or we don’t. Just because we’re man United doesn’t mean other clubs will just give us their players for less than what they value them to be worth to the club.

Idxomer

That kind of money can get us a decent RB and ST, if Ajax aren’t moving let’s just get him cheaper later.
Agreed.

If we're walking away, go for other positions that are also priorities instead of settling for a cheaper RW who won't be good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But he's shit?
He isn't shit and we're talking about a quick fix/backup here. In few months time Ajax will come back to their senses especially if Antony is wise enough to let his performance nosedive days after the WC is over

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

swissgenius

Exactly. Imagine if you told your boss at work your career plan was X,Y and Z, gave a few years of dedicated service and then when the opportunity to move in line with your plan arose your boss refused to let you go? Even if your boss was being handsomely rewarded for your services?

No dreams, no big money, losing an opportunity of a life time..

I really feel for Antony
On the other hand, if you sign a terminated contract for 5 years and you want to join a bigger company after 3 years, I see why your boss won't just accept it.
I know that's not how football business works but a contract with fixed terms inludes 2 parties, your boss (club) also can't just fire you when you get worse or injured, whatever.

Pearl.Jam

It’s actually rather entertaining watching this soap opera unfold..give me this any day over the biblical FDJ thread

Womp

idiot
Difficulty with leaving these things so late. The Frenkie saga truly has impacted this window. As much as I like Antony and he'd be my preference, I don't see us offering more than we just did, that's a ridiculous offer. It's also fair fecks to them for rejecting it.

We could use the funds on other positions, but everyone knows we are desperate and teams aren't going to want to sell their best players this late, so we are going to get fleeced regardless.

TheReligion

Abusive
On the other hand, if you sign a terminated contract for 5 years and you want to join a bigger company after 3 years, I see why your boss won't just accept it.
I know that's not how football business works but a contract with fixed terms inludes 2 parties, your boss (club) also can't just fire you when you get worse or injured, whatever.
Depends if your boss has a human side?

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
Ajax fan here, I'll summarize my thoughts!:

- I dont get the entitlement from some here. Just because you want him doesnt mean Ajax has to let him go.
. The comparisson earlier with the company and the plan is a fair one. The thing is, we dont know what plan exactly they agreed on. Ajax has a history of making fair deals with players and then letting them go for a fair price. Maybe they agreed something different with Antony?
- I wouldnt be sad if he goes. Great player, lovely talent, but I generally dont really enjoy the attitude he displayed on the pitch (and now off it). And dont forget, him showing this now could easily mean he'll do the same if he does play for Manchester and real come knocking on the door. (Suarez is another example of someone who showed that entitled behaviour at several clubs)
- anything over 50 million is lunacy in my book. I think Ajax should gratefully accept an 80 or even 90 mil offer immediately. There's plenty of players in the squad who can fill that position, maybe not as good as Antony, but also not that much worse that you need to hold on to him. But apparently they have something different in mind and we'll have to trust the Ajax board on that.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Newstyle

Walk away please. This sum is ridiculous for an unproven player no one is in for.

Loony BoB

People saying walk away… that only benefits Ajax and our rivals because we now don’t have a top target. The money is irrelevant it’s better being spent on an actual target not a backup anyway. I’m sick of Cavani type signings for short term fixes. It never ever works.
I mean, paying up the full 100m just means that all clubs across the world know they can name a price and we'll pay it in the end. It's risky business in both directions. Ajax, sadly, are in the driver's seat because they know that they can still sell him for a huge sum next summer anyway.

Rolaholic

Fair play to the lad forcing the issue at every turn, he's absolutely had his head turned and doesn't want to let the opportunity pass up

TheReligion

Abusive
So Ajax have known since February and are trying to use the fact they can’t get a replacement for the player as an excuse not to let him go?

Not surprised he’s furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.