Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhaylah

Let ajax keep an unhappy player. His performance level will surely drop and he'll cost less in a year.

Mainoldo

Hopefully we move on to someone else’s who’s not Gakpo.

Get Pedro Neto who currently is a better player or take a risk on Gouiri.

Giggsyking

this thread is full of petulant children who believe every bit of information that is in their favour. You think that everything Antony's team is now saying is the truth? Of course not, he's trying to force a move, so they'll say everything they think will help their case. If Utd payed up instantly this wouldn't be a problem. Ajax has been clear from the start that they won't negotiate, it's asking price or get out.
take off the Ajax tinted glasses, 80m 3 weeks ago was the asking price, when UTD met the price (3weeks ago), Ajax changed their asking price to 100m.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surely there are other talented players we can spunk 60-70-80m on ? That’s the issue with United recruitment policy over the years - no plan B.

Get an attacking player now(it’s not like we only need one) and revisit next year where we would get a much better price. It’s something Barca/Real etc have been doing quite successfully over the years.
The thing is though we’re always going for plan b. I think this time the board are showing that there doing everything they can to get Eriks main targets In and backing him because they have faith he’s the manager to turn us around. That’s the reason we chased de Jong so much and now want Antony so bad because these 2 are Ten Hags number 1 choices in there positions.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
this thread is full of petulant children who believe every bit of information that is in their favour. You think that everything Antony's team is now saying is the truth? Of course not, he's trying to force a move, so they'll say everything they think will help their case. If Utd payed up instantly this wouldn't be a problem. Ajax has been clear from the start that they won't negotiate, it's asking price or get out.
You think everything Ajax are now saying is the truth? Please. You started this window with your mouthpiece Mike Verweij saying €70m, then when we bid €60m it went up to €80m. Then when we bid €80m it’s gone up to a number that hasn’t been officially stated but our €90m offer has been rejected.

How could we have “payed up instantly” if you’ve raised the price at least twice and rejected three bids?

This thread is just as equally filled with “petulant children” as it is people bending over backwards for Ajax as if they’re some poor paragon of saintliness being taken advantage of by evil Manchester United.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Is he though? Born in Osasco, the 9th richest city in Brazil.
He is. He talks here about having grown up in a favela:
https://www.ajax.nl/artikelen/uit-het-fotoalbum-van-antony/

He says he bought his family a home in Osasco when he was 18.
In fact, he says he still lived in the favela when he joined Sao Paulo's first team at 17, and even at that time played in boots borrowed from Denilson because he didn't have any of his own

edit: not that I'm trying to back the "He's from a favela so could be lying" argument whatsoever though to be clear

Luka Mora

For those of you who believe Ajax to be cnuts and their manager to be an idiot and feel entitled for them to bring Antony on a plane to Manchester, take a few moments to think and understand things from Ajax's pov. Their squad was competing in the knockout rounds of the CL last season. In the space of 6 months they've lost Gravenberch, Haller Mazraoui, Martinez, Onana and their manager.

They have to rebuild now, and they want to keep their best player who is under contract until 2025 after having their team ripped apart and there being a small pond of available like for like replacements so late in the transfer window.

They have absolutely no obligation to sell and if antony was a true pro who loved the club as he says he does, he'd keep his mouth shut and not do interview with youtube journalists acting like he's some victim. Everyone didn't like it when ronaldo was getting his agent to pimp him out publicly to other clubs, so I don't know why I keep hearing praise for Antony behaving like he's a modern day slave.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Water Melon

I hope the lad is professional enough to continue to developand give his 100% for Ajax if he does not get his move to us this summer. We are likely to be back in for him again.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
We can sit here and be angry at Ajax but it's just our own stupidity that we let this go until the final week of the transfer window to ask for their best player, and push for them to replace him.

They don't need the money as much as we think, they didn't walk the league last year and they have lost half their team already. They are trusting a new manager with little experience and need to keep what is left of their core.
Who did they lose?

Red Rash

If it's true and they really want 100 million euros I'd prefer we looked for cheaper options that would allow us to get a RW and a CM.

I think Antony is a good player but the price on him is ridiculous

R'hllor

So Ajax want X amount for him, its up to us to pay or not, if that unsettles the player, thats a problem between Ajax and the player when window shuts down (if he stays). Some people need reality check in this thread.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If United move to another target then that would hurt Ajax more then it would do to them. First of all they would end up with an unhappy player, there's every chance that they will never receive such an offer for him ever again. Not to forget that their reputation as a stepping stone club

I'd say that for 90m we can get better value for money then someone with just few assists and goals from the farmer league

The Midnight Rambler

So Ajax want X amount for him, its up to us to pay or not, if that unsettles the player, thats a problem between Ajax and the player when window shuts down (if he stays). Some people need reality check in this thread.
100% this post.

Is ridiculous when posters bring emotion and insults to it. If we’d have wanted Antony so much then we should have got our backsides into gear earlier when Ajax had proper time to sort a replacement.

All power to Ajax here.

Telsim

Hopefully we move on to someone else’s who’s not Gakpo.

Get Pedro Neto who currently is a better player or take a risk on Gouiri.
Yep. Pedro Neto + RB/CM + GK. Or if we need two forwards that much I'd take both Neto and Gakpo. Much better options than 100M for Antony.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Madness to be taken to the cleaners like this - and this coming from someone who wants us to sign Antony. It’s sad though. No real short term options available either.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why are Ajax winding us up for? Haven’t we put in an offer of what they’ve said they wanted each time but yet they still reject!
They're not trying to wind you up and have not said they'll sell for a particular price.

They simply won't sell him for less than they think you'll eventually be willing to pay. They might be wrong but they're not trolling.

AjaxNL

You think everything Ajax are now saying is the truth? Please. You started this window with your mouthpiece Mike Verweij saying €70m, then when we bid €60m it went up to €80m. Then when we bid €80m it’s gone up to a number that hasn’t been officially stated but our €90m offer has been rejected.

How could we have “payed up instantly” if you’ve raised the price at least twice and rejected three bids?

This thread is just as equally filled with “petulant children” as it is people bending over backwards for Ajax as if they’re some poor paragon of saintliness being taken advantage of by evil Manchester United.
Things are not as static as you make them out to be though. Between the first offer and now, we sold another starter (Martinez), on top of all the other starters that we already lost (mazroui, Gravenberch, onana, haller) and on top of that, it is the end of the window, leaving is little time to get a replacement in. Don’t be surprised that the price went up in the meantime

EtH

Madness to be taken to the cleaners like this - and this coming from someone who wants us to sign Antony. It’s sad though. No real short term options available either.
We are the mugs here. Ajax are operating like a club interested in winning football matches having lost a few important players already this window including one to us never mind their manager. The state of some of our fans is embarrassing.

kps88

I think they've been intentionally quoting crazy prices to get us to walk away so they have an out with Antony. They could go "look, we tried negotiating but they pulled out". Poor bastards didn't realise we'll keep coming back with crazy bids.

GJNJ

It’s not ideal and means we’ll have to rely on youngsters for depth but we should just try and strengthen other positions with the money left in the budget and revisit this one next summer. Maybe get another midfielder and a Right back.

In a years time he’ll have a year less in his contract. Ajax knew they were already losing 2 players whose contracts were running down before the season had ended so haven’t been keen to lose more players. They will be more open to selling and we’ll get him for much less or an alternative player may emerge.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We are the mugs here. Ajax are operating like a club interested in winning football matches having lost a few important players already this window including one to us never mind their manager. The state of some of our fans is embarrassing.
Yeah we’ve left it late, but we were also in a difficult position, I guess. Not defending anyone here but I assume we’ve been waiting on the FDJ deal (on the instruction of EtH), which was going to influence the rest of our transfer window (which positions to prioritise with the limited funds left etc).

The opening 2 matches probably lit a fire under their arse. But yeah, leaving it this late was never a good idea.

diarm

This is what happens when it's almost September and you're still trying to get transfer business done.

We've known all summer that Ten Hag wanted Antony so it's more than a bit rich to expect Ajax to suffer for our poor planning and execution.

red thru&thru

I've been reading reports for several months now regarding Antony wanting to leave Ajax for a bigger league. So i'm not surprised he's pissed off.

But if United do end up signing him, i for one will be very happy to see such a flamboyant player arrive who has the potential to be a world class player with elite touch and technique. He's a player that I highlighted on this forum a few years ago when he made the move to Ajax from Sao Paulo.

If someone had said to me that we would sign Malacia, Eriksen, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony etc after we lost to Crystal Palace at the end of last season, I wouldn't have believed them. I'm looking forward to the season ahead and if we can add Antony and one more player to the four players we've already signed, then I think the transfer window will have been a success imo. All the players that we've signed thus far are a stylistic fit for the way ten Hag wants to control the game both in the offensive and defensive transitions. And i'm looking forward to seeing how things develop under ten Hag's tutelage. And hopefully by the next summer window we'll be 3 or 4 new players away from mounting a serious title challenge.
Totally agree. Antony, alongside FdJ, were on my muppet list this summer. So, to get even one of the two, would be fantastic.

Antony has that extra bit that none of our other players have against a low block. Let's juat hope we can get this over the line.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Things are not as static as you make them out to be though. Between the first offer and now, we sold another starter (Martinez), on top of all the other starters that we already lost (mazroui, Gravenberch, onana, haller) and on top of that, it is the end of the window, leaving is little time to get a replacement in. Don’t be surprised that the price went up in the meantime
Not to mention the fact that you have your first Champions League group game (in a group where Antony may be the difference between the knock out stages or the Europa league) in less than 2 weeks time.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm not sure why people want to bring up this narrative that we couldn't have gotten him for cheaper if we bid earlier. We only have ourselves to blame.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I'm not sure why people want to bring up this narrative that we couldn't have gotten him for cheaper if we bid earlier. We only have ourselves to blame.
We should of got him when we got martinez and did a double deal. We never sign 2 players at once anymore. Think the last time that happened was with schweinsteiger and schneiderlin under LVG.

EtH

Yeah we’ve left it late, but we were also in a difficult position, I guess. Not defending anyone here but I assume we’ve been waiting on the FDJ deal (on the instruction of EtH), which was going to influence the rest of our transfer window (which positions to prioritise with the limited funds left etc).

The opening 2 matches probably lit a fire under their arse. But yeah, leaving it this late was never a good idea.
Left it this late because we didn’t give a toss at the exec level until things started getting tense due to fan unrest after two shit results. Meanwhile the lack of pure common sense of those carrying out the wishes of EtH is staggering.

The pure comedy of the juxtaposition between the Antony and FdJ deals is there for everyone else to see but the people getting paid to see it. One club doesn’t want to sell. One player doesn’t want to come. Move the feck on.

Problem is that would require actual ideas.

red thru&thru

Why do people keep saying we've left it late? Didn't Antony comfirm to Fabrizio that there was an offer on the table back in June?

And as a poster has posted just above, I believe we've called Ajax's bluff here. They kept putting ridiculous prices on Antony's head, not expecting us to pay. Now that we have, a couple of times by the way, Ajax are being pri*ks.

Not too sure what United have done wrong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.