Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree 100%. That's why my argument since the window began was to avoid superstars and make a few shrewd signings like Malacia, Eriksen etc. that can really bring something to the side.

Two 50M mids would've been better than Casemiro for 70M if we just had the planning to target guys like Guimaraes, Kessie, Brozovic etc.
Casemiro isn't here just because of the paycheck though, neither is Varane. You can tell they're both up for it.

Sanchez, Falcao, Schweinsteiger were all finished before we even signed them.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
What about Cantona? Rooney? Van Persie? Tevez?
I'm mainly talking about foreign big name players and/or getting them from established big teams but I guess Rooney's signing back then off of the back of his euro 2004 was one of the most exciting signings we've ever made so let's include him... we have Rooney, Tevez, RvP and Veron... Cantona only turned into a superstar because of his exploits with us right and was considered a risk when we got him. But still more than I thought then, but that's over 20 years of fergie? And even then it's a bit different considering we got three of these from british clubs, not exotic enough. :lol:

We've signed most of those big names I mentioned in the previous post from big foreign clubs within a relatively short period under woodward and co.

It's not a slight on Fergie, he had his own standards for recruitment and he did it well mostly. Just an observation.

Adam-Utd

how can you hate Nani? haha. Or do you want a team full of mctominays and milners.
Some people genuinely would. You can guarantee that there will be people that hate Antony after a few matches.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Casemiro isn't here just because of the paycheck though, neither is Varane. You can tell they're both up for it.

I didn't check for falcao and schweinsteiger, but a quick search of your name in the old sanchez thread and you seemed pretty excited at the time. That's what I mean, almost everyone was excited for these signings, we couldn't have known almost all of them would be average to crap :drool:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
how can you hate Nani? haha. Or do you want a team full of mctominays and milners.
What on earth was wrong with Nani?!
He was the most frustrating player to watch.
All the abilities in the world, zero football iq. If Antony is close on ability, and has some football iq, he'll be great.
Nani is one of the players i liked the least in my time as United fan - which by the way @Lowkey is not the same as hating, stop throwing that word around.
I'd rather have hard working team players than someone who can dribble and shoot hard.
If we ignore position, i'd rather have a prime Milner over Nani.

mctrials23

What on earth was wrong with Nani?!
Not massively consistent and when he was having a stinker he would bring the whole team down as he never knew when to keep it simple and accept that it wasn't coming off for him. He would shoot from 30 yards half a dozen times in a game despite none of them coming close and would keep doing it despite there being better placed players.

Still a cracking player but very frustrating.

Adam-Utd

I didn't check for falcao and schweinsteiger, but a quick search of your name in the old sanchez thread and you seemed pretty excited at the time. That's what I mean, almost everyone was excited for these signings, we couldn't have known almost all of them would be average to crap :drool:
I'm a muppet like them all, but there were definitely signs of Sanchez slowing down at Arsenal before he joined. I just assumed he'd downed tools and was unhappy - but clearly that was wrong.

Doracle

2.32 is scandalous.

If he does that once in the PL, I don't care how much he costs, money well spent.
I mean, that just won’t work in the PL though. He would do that once, the defender would just block him off and the crowd would think wtf is he doing. I’m more encouraged by the strength and balance he shows in those clips as that is what will serve him well against better opposition.

Teja

I think Falcao, Sanchez and Schweini were motivated too, not here just for the pay check.

Determining if a player is finished or not is something we're shit at clearly based on the examples above. The narrative will change if Casemiro isn't as good as he used to be or if Varane gets injured again.

Lowkey

He was the most frustrating player to watch.
All the abilities in the world, zero football iq. If Antony is close on ability, and has some football iq, he'll be great.
Nani is one of the players i liked the least in my time as United fan - which by the way @Lowkey is not the same as hating, stop throwing that word around.
I'd rather have hard working team players than someone who can dribble and shoot hard.
If we ignore position, i'd rather have a prime Milner over Nani.
Well i can tell you now that Antony is alot closer to Nani than he ever will be to Milner so enjoy :)

You must really have been enjoying our last few seasons then when none of our players on the pitch have had the ability to dribble or shoot hard.

We at this club have thrived on having game changers that have the ability to take on a man and cause fear in defences. That in itself opens up space for the rest of our attacking unit and something that we have sorely missed for a very long time.

Nero

The media are too thick to acknowledge Haaland's release clause. Well, actually they aren't, they know exactly what they are doing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I mean, that just won’t work in the PL though. He would do that once, the defender would just block him off and the crowd would think wtf is he doing. I’m more encouraged by the strength and balance he shows in those clips as that is what will serve him well against better opposition.
Of course it can work, against the right opponent and at the right time. It's a matter of percentage going for particular skills. PL defenders aren't immune from being toyed with

Amir

The media are too thick to acknowledge Haaland's release clause. Well, actually they aren't, they know exactly what they are doing.
True, and if you put the emphasis on negotiation ability it's obviously silly to compare.

But once you put that aside, the bottom line is still that whether you talk about planning or pulling power, City are doing better.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
And they would definitely not talk about the wages, the fees paid to agents, granny, barber etc. Whereas its 150m deal for Casemiro, extremely bad business blah blah.

captaincantona

This does put this signing in to perspective

Not really. Haaland went to Dortmund because he knew he could get that clause in without that he would have cost €150 million. City are also not in a position where they had to buy certainties. Hence the money on Alvarez who realistically could have been/still might be a flop.

In fact, considering Fofana, gibbs white, Koylibaly etc. break down those deals andAntony really is only a marginal rip off.

allen7

Media is not interested to show the REAL numbers behind the haaland deal and even the Athletic has written that his contract has lot more conditions than other players.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

AmanNits04

Is it just me or is his acceleration really good? He seems quite adept at changing directions because of that low center of gravity. This would make him a weapon against those low blocking teams. Excited to watch a flair player like him in our club, would be such a huge change

Kostov

What is wrong with release clauses, it's credit to the buyer still. There was a release clause for us also, but he clearly was never interested in coming here.

Bosws87

Proper hilarious when they leave out the fact Haaland is free to leave via a release clause a few years into his City contract, they bowed to his every wish just to get him to sign on the dotted line, its just very very bad and on purpose media spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.