Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cman

Didnt say we should not target someone else but considering Chelsea bought Raphina for 55m, Antony should not cost more than 45-50m.
Anybody else worried that the fact that Arsenal, Spurs and Barca missing out on Raphinha that Antony price might go up in a bidding war?!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You say that but then Ajax fans see Liverpool buying Nunez for 100m euros and claim that Antony is better than him and he should cost 80m Euros minimum

By the way - anyone knows who's Ajax's current DOF instead of Overmars ?
It looks like they're panicking from all the purchase requests to buy their players and they don't know how how to handle all of this.
Gerry Hamstra is the DoF and his deputy is Huntelaar.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Anybody else worried that the fact that Arsenal, Spurs and Barca missing out on Raphinha that Antony price might go up in a bidding war?!
I don't think anyone else will come in for Antony, the risk is Ajax only willing to sell one of him and Martinez.

Nick7

I don't think anyone else will come in for Antony, the risk is Ajax only willing to sell one of him and Martinez.
He’s also out injured for the next 4+ weeks. Doubt anyone will go for him seriously until he’s back fit.

roseguy64

You say that but then Ajax fans see Liverpool buying Nunez for 100m euros and claim that Antony is better than him and he should cost 80m Euros minimum

By the way - anyone knows who's Ajax's current DOF instead of Overmars ?
It looks like they're panicking from all the purchase requests to buy their players and they don't know how how to handle all of this.
Panicking how?

themanguydude

I dunno, not totally sold on him for some reason. Maybe it's the lack of physicality or poor stats in the dutch league, I dunno. I feel like we are valuing Ten Hag's opinion on signings too highly and this could be his version of get me Perisic.
With our scouting department being restructured, there's not much we can do at this point

We can either

1) Back the manager

2) Don't back the manager

Bestietom

Yeah can see it happening if we can get the price down to around the €60m mark
Was expecting him before the Malacia deal. But I think that had to be done or Lyon would have snapped him up. However with about 50 million left in the kitty and a few sales still to be made, I do expect we will get him.

Mainoldo

At the price Ajax want. I really think/hope. We try and get Gnabry now. If reports are true.

He actually takes on defenders and most importantly keeps us within our budget.

Last think we need is a £70m winger who comes into the league and doesn’t settle straight away. Not at this club the pressure becomes too much.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Panicking how?
wishful thinking i guess.
I mean it's rare to see the perspective of both the buying and the potential selling club(as an Ajax and United fan). I've never really realized how one sided the conversations get.
People here are very entitled, Ajax needs to let him go because United wants him, Ajax want 70m, to high they will sell for 40m, Player needs to make a fuss because we want him and they won't let him go.
But i guess that's always the case on the "buyer" fansites, never really noticed that before.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
wishful thinking i guess.
I mean it's rare to see the perspective of both the buying and the potential selling club(as an Ajax and United fan). I've never really realized how one sided the conversations get.
People here are very entitled, Ajax needs to let him go because United wants him, Ajax want 70m, to high they will sell for 40m, Player needs to make a fuss because we want him and they won't let him go.
But i guess that's always the case on the "buyer" fansites, never really noticed that before.
I think that’s a few (sometimes vocal) posters and the majority of United fans understand Ajax opinion but also ‘fair’ value

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone who has seen him play fairly regularly, what sort of acceleration does he have?

Are we talking electric? Like a young Rashford. Or more like Sancho?

Pronewbie

Peep
I believe Antony stays. It's the best outcome for him and Ajax unless they receive a silly offer. I really don't think we should be offering anything close to Raphina's fees.

croadyman

I believe Antony stays. It's the best outcome for him and Ajax unless they receive a silly offer. I really don't think we should be offering anything close to Raphina's fees.
What should we do about our RW problem?

Pronewbie

Peep
Always felt that this is the case after already selling Gravenberch & Mazraoui
EtH has said as much in the 1st few weeks, that it'd be hard to pry Antony away simply because Ajax doesn't plan to sell him this transfer window.

I guess if someone like Raphina goes for 65M+ Euros it's a seller's market when it comes to RWs.

croadyman

EtH has said as much in the 1st few weeks, that it'd be hard to pry Antony away simply because Ajax doesn't plan to sell him this transfer window.

I guess if someone like Raphina goes for 65M+ Euros it's a seller's market when it comes to RWs.
Yeah that deal could well set the bar

bosskeano

What should we do about our RW problem?
initially put Sancho back on the right where he excelled for Dortmund and play Rashford on the left where he excelled.....Ragnick switched them and it killed their confidence

Becks00

It's probably the best outcome for Ajax but is not really the best for Antony, especially if he intends to make Brazil's 11 at the world cup. Raphinha moving to any of Barca or Chelsea changes the equation a bit I think.

edcunited1878

initially put Sancho back on the right where he excelled for Dortmund and play Rashford on the left where he excelled.....Rangnick switched them and it killed their confidence
Rangnick didn't kill their confidence, it was their own undoing. Sancho started the season very slow, then picked it up towards the middle and back half of the season. He was clearly better as the season progressed. Marcus had a downward trajectory the entire season, then bombed the last few months...eventually losing his starting place to Elanga and even Pogba during the City match. Sancho excelled anywhere on the front line at Dortmund and it helped he had teammates who made off the ball runs for him and the team. Marcus can only play effectively from the left and is very inconsistent through the middle or the right side.

Pronewbie

Peep
It's probably the best outcome for Ajax but is not really the best for Antony, especially if he intends to make Brazil's 11 at the world cup. Raphinha moving to any of Barca or Chelsea changes the equation a bit I think.
Looking at our recent track record, there's the risk of not making it at all if he's with us.

bosskeano

Rangnick didn't kill their confidence, it was their own undoing. Sancho started the season very slow, then picked it up towards the middle and back half of the season. He was clearly better as the season progressed. Marcus had a downward trajectory the entire season, then bombed the last few months...eventually losing his starting place to Elanga and even Pogba during the City match. Sancho excelled anywhere on the front line at Dortmund and it helped he had teammates who made off the ball runs for him and the team. Marcus can only play effectively from the left and is very inconsistent through the middle or the right side.
maybe not completely but playing them out of position and the positions where they are most comfortable certainly doesn't help matters. Sancho was most effective playing on the right for Dortmund as that is where he started the majority of his matches. Rashford was much better on the left and struggled badly on the right so why play him there? Put him on the left where he shined in the 20-21 season.

Antony excels on the right and plays similar to Greenwood but with a bit more flair and it would bring some balance to the group and we desperately need a left footed attacking player.

a front three of rashford, sancho and antony would be very very good....all three are good 1v1, have pace and are interchangeable

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
a front three of rashford, sancho and antony would be very very good....all three are good 1v1, have pace and are interchangeable
Rashy has shown again and again he doesn't suit the right though, and I'm not sure the other 2 ever play centrally? So not properly interchangeable is it?

lysglimt

Scout
Always felt that this is the case after already selling Gravenberch & Mazraoui
Antony is one thing - but why would Ajax not want to sell a defender for £40-50 million ? They can replace a defender with that kind of money!

edcunited1878

maybe not completely but playing them out of position and the positions where they are most comfortable certainly doesn't help matters. Sancho was most effective playing on the right for Dortmund as that is where he started the majority of his matches. Rashford was much better on the left and struggled badly on the right so why play him there? Put him on the left where he shined in the 20-21 season.

Antony excels on the right and plays similar to Greenwood but with a bit more flair and it would bring some balance to the group and we desperately need a left footed attacking player.

Sancho was the best option to play off of Ronaldo. Then it became apparent Rashford was being shoehorned for his vertical threat/pace. Rashford doesn't make good decisions nor is he a natural service provider. He skews heavily on final product. Then there was a better balance of Sancho and Elanga, with Ronaldo.

And while the club does need a left footed attacker, I will disagree on a front three of Rashford, Sancho, and Antony being very very good.

If Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez was an elite fluid front 3...compare that to what you just suggested, in terms of what is needed from them as individuals and collectively.

Sancho and Rashford are below average headers of the ball. Rashford isn't a good short to medium passer nor does he connect/link play that well. Rashford at his best is the only proven goal scorer of the trio. Rashford is very 1 footed and seems to be the same for Antony. Rashford doesn't have the spatial recognition or instincts compared to Sancho. None of the players have shown any proper striker instincts around the goal area to position themselves (inside 12 yards) to be of the requisite level.

While agree Antony is a type of player needed, there must be a large improvement on Marcus's part, plus the understanding of how United attack and create goals. All 3 of those are either not at the club or complete unknowns.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Antony is one thing - but why would Ajax not want to sell a defender for £40-50 million ? They can replace a defender with that kind of money!
Martinez was POTY last season, I imagine the tactics of the new manager would hinge quite heavily on keeping their best player for as long as he can

bosskeano

Rashy has shown again and again he doesn't suit the right though, and I'm not sure the other 2 ever play centrally? So not properly interchangeable is it?
He's definitely shown he's not suited to play on the right....i guess interchangeable isn't exactly the correct choice of words in terms of positional play but maybe more of it being a fluid attack with movement where they can come inside, play wide, use their pace and movement. Not like having a true target #9 and something more like what you see with Liverpool when they played Diaz/Jota, Salah and Jota/Mane

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Its very easy... Ajax just doesnt want to lose Antony, Timber and Martinez this year, after already losing Gravenberch, Mazraoui, Haller and Tagliafico (very very very likely) (and possibly Alvarez, who we are supposedly open to sell for a fair bid)..

They all have contracts up to 2025, so Ajax dont have to worry about that. Knowing Ajax (but to be fair, that was when Overmars is there..) they will talk to them to stay one more year, and promise them they can leave for lower, but fair amounts the year after..

bosskeano

Sancho was the best option to play off of Ronaldo. Then it became apparent Rashford was being shoehorned for his vertical threat/pace. Rashford doesn't make good decisions nor is he a natural service provider. He skews heavily on final product. Then there was a better balance of Sancho and Elanga, with Ronaldo.

And while the club does need a left footed attacker, I will disagree on a front three of Rashford, Sancho, and Antony being very very good.

If Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez was an elite fluid front 3...compare that to what you just suggested, in terms of what is needed from them as individuals and collectively.

Sancho and Rashford are below average headers of the ball. Rashford isn't a good short to medium passer nor does he connect/link play that well. Rashford at his best is the only proven goal scorer of the trio. Rashford is very 1 footed and seems to be the same for Antony. Rashford doesn't have the spatial recognition or instincts compared to Sancho. None of the players have shown any proper striker instincts around the goal area to position themselves (inside 12 yards) to be of the requisite level.

While agree Antony is a type of player needed, there must be a large improvement on Marcus's part, plus the understanding of how United attack and create goals. All 3 of those are either not at the club or complete unknowns.
yeah .....can't really compare to that trio, hell even adding in Park. Rooney and Tevez didn't have the pace but were incredibly smart with their movement and very smart players.

but i think you could get these guys to play with that fluidity as these guys have more pace and arguably are better 1v1 players(outside of younger ronaldo).

Aeryis

With our scouting department being restructured, there's not much we can do at this point

We can either

1) Back the manager

2) Don't back the manager
We are already backing the manager, we've gotten one of the brightest midfielders in Europe per his request. We're also getting Eriksen, per his request. We're also getting Malacia, per his request. "Backing the manager" doesn't mean we should cater to his every whims however nonsensical they may be. It's alright to have reservations of a player that barely dribbles (despite his flashy youtube highlights, he actually doens't take on his players at all), has underwhelming pace, and barely scores in a position that requires dribbling, pace, and finishing ability. At the very least that's what is required when you want an elite winger. All for a premium price of 80m euros.

Let's not forget about him wanting a CB that's 1.75 tall, probably making him one of the shortest CBs in Europe in a league with 1.90+ tall CBs, strikers, and wingers. How the hell are we supposed to defend set pieces with that?

Their combined asking price would be 130m euros.130m could get us Osimhen and at least one other player. It could get us Moussa Diaby and at least one other player. Players in positions we desperately need with the raw physical and technical talent to excel in our team.

I think it's reasonable to say no in this scenario.

Mr PG

Ajax ripped us off with Van der beek in hindsight and they should be willing to take him back plus a smallish fee in return for Anthony;)

Status
Not open for further replies.