Anyone else superstitious about Ole getting the job...Now!

Maticmaker

Its irrational I know, but with Ole's dream start and him breaking all sorts of records as a new United manager, I just feel that all these calls to give him the job now... might break the spell and the dream will end and I will wake up with Mourinho still in charge.

Anybody else having this squeak bum experience?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's a rational fear wondering what will happen once it is official/next season but as we've proven every manager is a risk and right now Ole is the best managerial appointment we've made since Fergie retired so fingers crossed it's 4th time lucky

TRUERED89

It wont break any 'spell' because I doubt it will be announced until the end of the season anyway. However, if it is announced early I still don't think it will make us rapidly decline, the players love OGS and are firmly behind him, they're not going to just down tools now, they know how close they are to snatching top 4 after if was completely written off in December. We just beat a very dangerous team in palace at their ground with so many injuries. Our confidence is sky high, and as we continue in this trajectory we're only going to become better. There is no reason to be superstitious or think we will jinx him getting the job. Lukaku looks like he's coming back to form, McTomany has seriously stepped it up, Martial, Lingard, Herrera, Matic, Mata still to come back. We're looking in great shape going forward so no need to worry.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its irrational I know, but with Ole's dream start and him breaking all sorts of records as a new United manager, I just feel that all these calls to give him the job now... might break the spell and the dream will end and I will wake up with Mourinho still in charge.

Maybe we should just make him the permanent temporary manager.

Anustart89

I'm just nervous and keep having this urge to put Pochettino down because I know I'll be absolutely gutted if he doesn't get the job. He just gets the club, and anyone else would be an unknown quantity. The devil you know and all. Except in this case, the devil is a god.

sammyk123

The only concern I have is how he will perform in the summer transfer wise.

Bringing in new players and integrating into the team has been the biggest failing of our last two managers and Ole is still an unknown quanity in this regard.

Other than that I think he can keep the confidence high and the run going next season

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not worried about any sort of bounce being broken, I just don't see a need to fix what currently doesn't need to be. No need to rush the decision, or if the decision has actually been made at the top, no rush to announce it. Let the team continue to see out the season in style and enjoy it.

There is little to no pressure on us right now. Before he got the gig, we looked a mile off 4th, now we're possibly favourites. And if we don't get 4th, then all the blame really lies with the first 4 months of the season, and we get a fresh start. Announce it in the summer, whether it's Ole or not.

It's a big decision to make, and not just with Ole, but the structure around him and above him. I don't think it's one that needs to be publicised right now. Ole feels like he has a point to prove, and he's doing just that. Let him keep doing that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He'll get the job at the end of the season

Tarrou

I don't think many people care when its announced really, just so long as he gets it

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think we should let him be interim for a few years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'd rather wait till the end of season, We don't need distractions. Announcing this early can be a distraction, media will start hyping him up. Let's do it 'silently' instead.

Needham

That. Tell him it's an open ended audition with all kinds of million pound bonuses for trophies and success along the way but always keep that long term contract dangling on the end of an ever receding stick. Toy with and tease the excellent cnut.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'd rather wait till the end of season, We don't need distractions. Announcing this early can be a distraction, media will start hyping him up. Let's do it 'silently' instead.
Don't think the media will hype him up. It's the TV pundits and ex players who are the guilty ones but you can hardly blame them

Flanders Devil

This. Can’t say I wasn’t surprised he got the job. But surely we cannot get rid of him at the end of the season.

The fear of the ‘full time syndrome’ is real though, but I’m hoping he goes down the Zidane route and not the Di Matteo

Anustart89

The only concern I have is how he will perform in the summer transfer wise.

Bringing in new players and integrating into the team has been the biggest failing of our last two managers and Ole is still an unknown quanity in this regard.

Other than that I think he can keep the confidence high and the run going next season
He's already name-checked Sancho (twice) and Hudson-Odoi, so I definitely think he's got an eye on the right wing, and if he's looking at the best English talent, then that's a big plus. With regards to defense we've already seen that he wants his fullbacks to push up, so if we get a RB it'll be an attacking one, and it's pretty clear that we'll get someone for the midfield (Matic replacement) since he doesn't seem to trust either Pereira or Fred to give them consistent chances in the team, which is completely reasonable based on what we've seen from both of them this season.

SteveW

Yes, hope they leave it until the summer to officially announce it

SteveW

He's already name-checked Sancho (twice) and Hudson-Odoi, so I definitely think he's got an eye on the right wing, and if he's looking at the best English talent, then that's a big plus. With regards to defense we've already seen that he wants his fullbacks to push up, so if we get a RB it'll be an attacking one, and it's pretty clear that we'll get someone for the midfield (Matic replacement) since he doesn't seem to trust either Pereira or Fred to give them consistent chances in the team, which is completely reasonable based on what we've seen from both of them this season.
Really? Source?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Yes. The club have made him interim manager and his contract ends at a set time. Keep it that way for now and announce it at the end of the season.

For what it's worth I think they've already given him the job but, like you and me, are conscious of the potential impact of announcing it now.

Anustart89

Really? Source?
The first time I think was in one of the press conferences, the context was IIRC that he has gone abroad and done very well for himself, and the second time was just recently ahead of the Palace game where he said the following:

“Angel has been successful with England Under-17s, there with (Jadon) Sancho, (Callum) Hudson-Odoi and (Phil) Foden, so, he has been a big part of that and I am definitely sure that if he gets the chance, he’ll do well.”

Edit: Just found the second quote, from the Burnley press conference

Q: A lot of talk about developing players, do you think you need to pay attention to that?
A: It’s something that you need to pay attention to. It’s a difficult gap, the gap from U18s until you get into the first team that gap there with players nowadays get a bit more impatient than before and they want to move earlier but what is the best pathway is a difficult one because some teams in the lower leagues don’t play the way you want them to play, we’ve seen some players go to Germany to take the next step, Sancho’s a good example, goes to the Bundesliga then gets in the national team, is a different one. It’s not easy in the reserves, it’s hard, it’s a very difficult way and there are many hours spent finding a pathway.

SteveW

The first time I think was in one of the press conferences, the context was IIRC that he has gone abroad and done very well for himself, and the second time was just recently ahead of the Palace game where he said the following:

“Angel has been successful with England Under-17s, there with (Jadon) Sancho, (Callum) Hudson-Odoi and (Phil) Foden, so, he has been a big part of that and I am definitely sure that if he gets the chance, he’ll do well.”

Q: A lot of talk about developing players, do you think you need to pay attention to that?
A: It’s something that you need to pay attention to. It’s a difficult gap, the gap from U18s until you get into the first team that gap there with players nowadays get a bit more impatient than before and they want to move earlier but what is the best pathway is a difficult one because some teams in the lower leagues don’t play the way you want them to play, we’ve seen some players go to Germany to take the next step, Sancho’s a good example, goes to the Bundesliga then gets in the national team, is a different one. It’s not easy in the reserves, it’s hard, it’s a very difficult way and there are many hours spent finding a pathway.
Interesting. Thanks.

I'm sure everyone in football is well aware of them tbf

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
I still expect Ole to get 4th, ahead of Spurs following a collapse, only for Ed to then replace Ole with Poch.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

/thread

Only worry right now (from us, but particularly those who can actually do something about it) must be the DoF and summer signings. That's what can upset the applecart.

antohan

Yeah, noticed that too. Such a simple formula huh? Young attacking talent + British = we should be all over it. Yes, you can get better bang for the buck technique-wise elsewhere, sure, but it's about the absolute core of the team and sustained success.

Another great thing about Ole is he was great with the Youth setup and had a great career despite spending years under the supersub monicker.

He has the empathy with both aspects (young and benchwarming), knows how to deal with it and what it takes to keep people sharp and hungry rather than wallowing in self-pity.

Anustart89

Yeah, noticed that too. Such a simple formula huh? Young attacking talent + British = we should be all over it. Yes, you can get better bang for the buck technique-wise elsewhere, sure, but it's about the absolute core of the team and sustained success.

Another great thing about Ole is he was great with the Youth setup and had a great career despite spending years under the supersub monicker.

He has the empathy with both aspects (young and benchwarming), knows how to deal with it and what it takes to keep people sharp and hungry rather than wallowing in self-pity.
Not to mention that British talent is less likely to ache for a move to Spain, which has been an issue with de Gea and Ronaldo.

Inter Yer Nan

I think he’ll get it. He’s done great, our football is back and we’ll get top 4. That’s enough. If he turns out no good next season? So what? It’s just one season and it was worth the risk.

tieunhilang

It's a rational fear wondering what will happen once it is official/next season but as we've proven every manager is a risk and right now Ole is the best managerial appointment we've made since Fergie retired so fingers crossed it's 4th time lucky
We should prolong his interim period until he wins us the Champions League/Premier League. That way we could maintain the "new manager bounce" as long as we want. :wenger:

antohan

Not to mention that British talent is less likely to ache for a move to Spain, which has been an issue with de Gea and Ronaldo.
That is implicit when I say "it's at the core of the team and sustained success". And I'm not British, it's not some romantic self-centered view.

antohan

No I'm ready for him to be manager for the next 25 years. It just feels right imo.
Exactly how I felt last night when the teamsheet was out and there were about 5 theories on who would play where and then why Pogba was on the right side (which wasn't in any of those pre-match ones). Felt all warm and fuzzy about it :devil:

Mainoldo

Yeah give it until the end of the season until he finishes he’s task.

Rish Sawhney

If giving Ole the job permanently is gonna cause the train to come off the rails, I’d like to find out this season instead of next season.

Anustart89

That is implicit when I say "it's at the core of the team and sustained success". And I'm not British, it's not some romantic self-centered view.
Yeah, gotcha. And for the record, neither am I.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
If Spurs lose their next game, will MP be out of the running...especially if we win ours?

wolvored

I suspect he has already been offered the job and for whatever reason its been kept quiet. One of the things that he has said like planning short and for the long term, and the fact he is already looking who needs to come in, in the summer. The fact he has got the vast majority of the team improving and playing better. The fact he is blooding youngsters who will benefit in the long term not for the next 10 games, is itself a statement that he has got the job and still not just keeping the seat warm for the next manager. I do think Phelan needs to be kept alongside him as well though.

SoCross

The honeymoon period will eventually end and there's bound for a few bad results to come our way...but Ole makes us happy when skies are gray :devil:

Between him and Pochettino, I'll always plump for Ole. There's no guarantee the latter will succeed and I don't want to go through another period where we have to wait for the manager to adjust himself to the club. Right now, our most important players - Martial, Rashford, Pogba - players around whom we want to build the next great United side are happy and playing well, why take the risk of rocking the boat again?

Anders Agnalt

I'm realistic about Ole getting the job!It's irrational to think that Ole doesn't understand what kind of players he needs of the club, or knows what quality they need to possess.

If he's able to turn Manchester United around in a couple of days, and see what everyone has done wrong since Fergie retired. I'm sure he's able to make his own decision about what the squad needs and who need to be cut from the payroll. All these people talking about his inexperience are just stupid.

Ole knows how to build a team, he knows how to get the most out of everyone. He's more than just smiles and words. Like Ferguson you'll know it if you do something wrong! He's highly intelligent and I doubt anyone would have done a better job with the players at hand!

Some claim it's Phelan who control United not Ole. Phelan knows the club and he knows Ole and that's why Ole gave him a call! Ole is known to use the staff and make them a valuable part of the team.

Just give him the job!