g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

More points than Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea since he took over.
You don't judge managers over a few weeks.
And you judge him over the first few weeks when he's barely spent time with the team? You could afford to give him more time if there's gradual improvement, but one fact is that the team has got worse the more time he has spent with time. Looks like that initial run was just a new manager bounce.

Eddy_JukeZ

I always said we should wait til the end of the season before appointing a manager. Ideally, we would have had a plan after Jose was sacked, but we clearly didn't.

Forgetting the results, if you didn't know who our manager was with some of our recent performances, you'd guess Jose was still at the helm.

Aloysius's Back 3

If the young players are given time & we see an ability to control the match atleast as a team then I can accept that the main squad are fitness deprived.

If however the youth come and we still look clueless around the pitch - then I'd be a bit worried. I do not need to see United win games but atleast not play like a team that came up from the championship.

Zed 101

The job from when we was appointed caretaker to the end of the season was a freebie, we got into the last 8 of the CL and are within 3 points of 4th spot with 3 games to go and still every chance of finishing 4th, if we had been given that when Ole joined not a Utd fan out there would have even belived it was possible.... do people forget just how bad we were under Jose? even tonight we were at least playing some attacking, aggressive football agaisnt one of the best sides in world football.

Also remember in this bad run we have lost to Barca twice, City, Wolves twice (who have taken points off everybody), Arsenal and PSG, under Jose we would have probably have lost all of these, and one more to PSG and would have been dire and dull to boot.

Yes we have had some disappointing results and more worryingly performances over the last month or so, but stand back and take stock of where we are now from December and also remember that most fans agree we need minimum 4 probably 6 players to be competing for top 3, yet we criticise so heavily when we don't outplay the likes of Wolves, City, PSG and Barca..... reality check needed.

Judge Ole after a trabnsfer window and half of next season to do otherwise is grossly unfair and counterproductive

Morpheus 7

The whole fecking club is a mess which is why we needed the very best manager for the job.

Look, I love Ole, but that doesn’t stop me from seeing that he wasn’t the right appointment. We did fantastically well when he was interim manager, but that doesn’t change the fact that the board should have waited (like they said they would) until the end of the season before appointing a permanent manager.

He’s been in charge for nearly five months now and we still don’t have a distinct style of play.

By the way, I’m not arguing with you mate, we are all on the same side. I’m just gutted and equally furious at the ineptitude of the board.
Definitely agree the club should have waited to the end of the season to announce anything. Think any manager would have had a huge task, anyone would have been a risk! Ole has shown that he can beat big sides and go on a run, and work with some of these players. Any manager would've give some of these managers time, say they wouldn't but would have got a chance. Least now he'll know who he can depend on and who he can't.

mu4c_20le

I always said we should wait til the end of the season before appointing a manager. Ideally, we would have had a plan after Jose was sacked, but we clearly didn't.

Forgetting the results, if you didn't know who our manager was with some of our recent performances, you'd guess Jose was still at the helm.
New manager bounce or not, you cannot take those initial results away from him, he achieved that. The losing run simply shows me that he doesn't really work miracles as we thought. When we were winning, it was because we were scoring, not because we dominated or magically played a level above. He got our attack to click, but even then we were shaky at the back, and faced big problems when the opposition scored first. Now we are suffering because the forward are completely misfiring. Part of this is on him, but it will also take time to build a team before expecting any sort of consistency. Motivation and hard work is all we have to rely on now to finish the season strongly.

SteveW

And you judge him over the first few weeks when he's barely spent time with the team? You could afford to give him more time if there's gradual improvement, but one fact is that the team has got worse the more time he has spent with time. Looks like that initial run was just a new manager bounce.
The players are shattered and meeting good sides every week. Its caught up with them.

He's earned the summer to turn this around.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Definitely agree the club should have waited to the end of the season to announce anything. Think any manager would have had a huge task, anyone would have been a risk! Ole has shown that he can beat big sides and go on a run, and work with some of these players. Any manager would've give some of these managers time, say they wouldn't but would have got a chance. Least now he'll know who he can depend on and who he can't.
I hope you are right mate.

ash_86

Nothing wrong with today's tactics. The quality of players was the factor that differentiated two teams . I didn't learn anything new today

Eddy_JukeZ

New manager bounce or not, you cannot take those initial results away from him, he achieved that. The losing run simply shows me that he doesn't really work miracles as we thought. When we were winning, it was because we were scoring, not because we dominated or magically played a level above. He got our attack to click, but even then we were shaky at the back, and faced big problems when the opposition scored first. Now we are suffering because the forward are completely misfiring. Part of this is on him, but it will also take time to build a team before expecting any sort of consistency. Motivation and hard work is all we have to rely on now to finish the season strongly.
I am going to be consistent.

I praised him heavily during our winning run. He was doing an excellent job. I'll give him credit for the wins.

In the meantime, I will criticize him for our current form. Our general performances are getting worse and worse. He has yet to really stamp his identity on the team and there's still no structure or pattern of our play.

ArjenIsM3

So you agree with Ole that the extensions to Jones and Young's deals were a good idea?
No I don't think those extensions were a good idea and no I don't think Ole was responsible for them. I think those extensions had been in the works before Ole got here. I can understand giving Jones an extension as he's homegrown and better than both Rojo and Bailly (who aren't homegrown) so decent squad player really but Young is past it. We should get a new RB in to replace him and I trust that we will in the next transfer window. Truth is, right now we don't have better alternatives so I can't fault Ole for playing them.

bleedred

Enough with the “i always said let’s wait till end of season”. It doesn’t help anything except for the fact it boosts you own ego in claiming “I told you so”.

I honestly cannot believe why people wouldn’t even want him to be given atleast one transfer window to fix this mess.

Mcking

The players are shattered and meeting good sides every week. Its caught up with them.

He's earned the summer to turn this around.
We'd be rewarding mediocrity. It would feel so wrong to give millions to a manager who's got us playing like shit for weeks.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nothing wrong with today's tactics. The quality of players was the factor that differentiated two teams . I didn't learn anything new today
Late subs - Martial and Sanchez introduced when the match was good as dead.

If Mourinho started like Ole today with 5 defenders at the back he would probably be rinsed.

bleedred

No I don't think those extensions were a good idea and no I don't think Ole was responsible for them. I think those extensions had been in the works before Ole got here. I can understand giving Jones an extension as he's homegrown and better than both Rojo and Bailly (who aren't homegrown) so decent squad player really but Young is past it. We should get a new RB in to replace him and I trust that we will in the next transfer window. Truth is, right now we don't have better alternatives so I can't fault Ole for playing them.
This. Who is in the squad to replace the likes of lingard young and martial.

“Ooh, let’s play the kids then”. Yeah right, when we have a chance of top 4, if we play kids and lose, he will still be criticized.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People say that he needs time. Ok, based on what? Lets put results aside. And lets say that squad which finished second last year is shit and in Burnley level. No problem.
But what Ole did in games what can show that he is the right man? Did he show even small glimpses of something special? Some tactical inovation before the game? During the game?
If he gets 300 mil and build his team, do you see him beating equal teams tactically? I don't.

Member 93275

His strategy call was so bad when he substituted Pereira with Lukaku. United couldn't keep up the pressure like in the first half, were losing the midfield battle, and then the manager takes of a midfielder for an attacker. What was he thinking? Skip the midfield, play long to the runners up front? But those where covered, and the passers were pressed by their midfield, now even more liberated. And the rest is history.

mu4c_20le

If Mourinho started like Ole today with 5 defenders at the back he would probably be rinsed.
Then they are idiots... pOch did the same thing

SteveW

We'd be rewarding mediocrity. It would feel so wrong to give millions to a manager who's got us playing like shit for weeks.
He also won 14 games out of 17 before the injuries started. I just dont think the players had the legs to sustain it. That will be rectified this summer

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Enough with the “i always said let’s wait till end of season”. It doesn’t help anything except for the fact it boosts you own ego in claiming “I told you so”.

I honestly cannot believe why people wouldn’t even want him to be given atleast one transfer window to fix this mess.
I've still not seen anyone who says 'we should have waited until the end of the season' explain what they would have done next. Chased Pochettino all summer?

Over the last 10 league games we've got 3 more points than Tottenham (hang on is that our saviour Poch?), 1 point less than Chelsea and 3 less than Arsenal. Presumably all these are getting sacked at the end of the season.

Mcking

The job from when we was appointed caretaker to the end of the season was a freebie, we got into the last 8 of the CL and are within 3 points of 4th spot with 3 games to go and still every chance of finishing 4th, if we had been given that when Ole joined not a Utd fan out there would have even belived it was possible.... do people forget just how bad we were under Jose? even tonight we were at least playing some attacking, aggressive football agaisnt one of the best sides in world football.

Also remember in this bad run we have lost to Barca twice, City, Wolves twice (who have taken points off everybody), Arsenal and PSG, under Jose we would have probably have lost all of these, and one more to PSG and would have been dire and dull to boot.

Yes we have had some disappointing results and more worryingly performances over the last month or so, but stand back and take stock of where we are now from December and also remember that most fans agree we need minimum 4 probably 6 players to be competing for top 3, yet we criticise so heavily when we don't outplay the likes of Wolves, City, PSG and Barca..... reality check needed.

Judge Ole after a trabnsfer window and half of next season to do otherwise is grossly unfair and counterproductive
Our current form is doing a good job of reminding me, it is just that we are worse this time. Under Mourinho at least, we would look forward to comebacks after falling behind. Ole seem to be pragmatic, yet look completely clueless when the game starts.

Eddy_JukeZ

What are you talking about?

How can you find it so unbelievable?

He has no experiencing in building/shaping a team at this level and the last time he had some input on transfers at Cardiff, it was a disaster.

liamp

His strategy call was so bad when he substituted Pereira with Lukaku. United couldn't keep up the pressure like in the first half, were losing the midfield battle, and then the manager takes of a midfielder for an attacker. What was he thinking? Skip the midfield, play long to the runners up front? But those where covered, and the passers were pressed by their midfield, now even more liberated. And the rest is history.
Skipping the midfield in favor of direct balls to the forwards is the go-to strategy when behind for us and many other clubs in England.

SteveW

People say that he needs time. Ok, based on what? Lets put results aside. And lets say that squad which finished second last year is shit and in Burnley level. No problem.
But what Ole did in games what can show that he is the right man? Did he show even small glimpses of something special? Some tactical inovation before the game? During the game?
If he gets 300 mil and build his team, do you see him beating equal teams tactically? I don't.
His first 17 games weren't bad.

Un4givableB

I've still not seen anyone who says 'we should have waited until the end of the season' explain what they would have done next. Chased Pochettino all summer?

Over the last 10 league games we've got 3 more points than Tottenham (hang on is that our saviour Poch?), 1 point less than Chelsea and 3 less than Arsenal. Presumably all these are getting sacked at the end of the season.

Make a shortlist of 3 or 4 managers in which Poch would be at the top, try to get him if not possible move on to number 2.

Leftback99

Interesting you bring up Burnley to try make a point presumably about being '2nd best' last year. A season when Burnley finished 7th but currently sit in 15th with exactly the same manager. Maybe teams can over perform against their true level. Remember Leicester?

So who would spend £300m and have us beating everyone? LVG didn't, Mourinho didn't, who is the certainty?

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but we need more than just a new manager.

It’s a structural issue which needs Woodward to leave and football based people (rather than accountants) to start running the direction of club affairs.

ash_86

You don't go all gun blazing againt city , it's suicide . We contained them well and Ddg had to make just a save or two first half . Also it's not Ole's team is it so hardly could be blamed . I don't blame him for not bringing on Martial or Sanchez as I don't think it would have changed much .

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

I was one of Mourinho’s biggest critics, and you are right. He would have been destroyed.

Ole seems to get a free pass though. The clubs going down the shitter but he deserves a few transfer windows...

SteveW

Make a shortlist of 3 or 4 managers in which Poch would be at the top, try to get him if not possible move on to number 2.
How about giving the manager who has outperformed Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal in the league a chance?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Needs next season to be judged. However, in December it was clear Poch was who we were targeting and we probably should have stuck to that plan.

SteveW

I was one of Mourinho’s biggest critics, and you are right. He would have been destroyed.

Ole seems to get a free pass though. The clubs going down the shitter but he deserves a few transfer windows...
Ole is not to blame for where the club is. He's outperformed Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea in the league since he took over.

Leftback99

And then wait for pre season (if we have him in by then) for the new guy to make his assessments of the squad? And hope that he can do better than what Ole has since he arrived (3rd in the table of 18 games, 7 points more than Poch)?

Bojan11

Needs next season to be judged. However, in December it was clear Poch was who we were targeting and we probably should have stuck to that plan.
Our board are buffoons.

Chelsea have had Hiddink and Benitez as caretaker managers and both could have been easily appointed. But Chelsea stuck to the plan. This is a club we laughed at for years. They didn’t go sentimental. Yes they gave Di Matteo the job but it would have been a crazy decision not to after winning the champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.