Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Why does he keep starting Lukaku when he was mostly used as a super sub during the winning run?
Why doesn't he have the balls to drop DDG?
Why does he hesitate and mess up substitutions, especially offensive ones?
Why doesn't he make changes when the offensive players are clearly gassed?
Why doesn't he have a word with Rashford about the free kicks?
Why is he hell bent on enforcing championship style tactics?

el3mel

Carrick and McKenna at the wheel..In all honesty, United appointing Ole so early shows a drop in standard towards us as a club.

Di Matteo freaking win Chelsea a champion league and he still got sacked :lol:. If Ole gets top four he will need that sort of Di Matteo luck to accomplish that and I don’t believe that is enough to get us back where we should be. Our manager needs to know how to rebuild a team and have a philosophy that is attractive to watch.
Di Matteo was an interim manager, won CL first then got appointed as a permanent manager thanks to it, then got sacked after crushing out of CL group next season. You need to revise the sequence of events as you got it wrong apparently.

RedStarUnited

I cant believe Mr IUnderstandUnited brought on a DM in a half when his team where struggling to create chances.

Fergy was a simple man, he would chuck everything and everyone who could increase the possibility of scoring.

Matic was done and couldnt make passes, take him off and bring Martial on. Yeah Martial is in shit form but give him a word of encouragement and remind him what is at stake. A little man management can go a long way.

Canagel

I cant believe Mr IUnderstandUnited brought on a DM in a half when his team where struggling to create chances.

Fergy was a simple man, he would chuck everything and everyone who could increase the possibility of scoring.

Matic was done and couldnt make passes, take him off and bring Martial on. Yeah Martial is in shit form but give him a word of encouragement and remind him what is at stake. A little man management can go a long way.
It was very bizzare in game managing for a must win match to reach top 4.

el3mel

I still can't bring my head about this sub. Really his in game management is terrible.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If he was still caretaker and the club had made it clear that no apoointment would be made until the end of the season, who would want him to get the job?

From a neutral point of view, unless someone really great was gettable, I'd give him the job.

dove

If he was still caretaker and the club had made it clear that no apoointment would be made until the end of the season, who would want him to get the job?

From a neutral point of view, unless someone really great was gettable, I'd give him the job.
No one.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was a poor business decision, the best commodity the Glazer's had with an interim manager is time. They probably got lazy when the results went our way and halted the development of hiring a new manager.

I've always reiterated the club should have pushed for Poch, Solskjaer has absolutely no credibility building a team. We could splash 500 million and still look clueless if the tactics and coaching is sub par standard. If anyone wants an example see here post Zidane Madrid slump. More players in Madrid starting 11 that would walk into any team of any league and they couldn't get going.

Long gone are the days of "do what you want", "express yourselves", "it's up to you", these professionals need to be coached on what to do, where to run, how to think etc. Coaching is also temperament and motivation, if Ole is struggling to get the players going how will we mount a league challenge when the high level needed has to be consistent every single week.
These are good critical questions. They have to maintain throughout a rebuild, no matter the manager. At the same time we have to be realistic. I would feel a bit more calm about vision of play and tactics if it were Pochettino, but I do feel more assured with Ole at the wheel when we're talking about personality, authority and standing. I mean, he is a young and talented but pretty much unproven manager, and he might be the right fit if he is a good one. I do think we'll work out a playing style with patterns and what not to manifest in the club, I think Ole knows that it is needed and is not afraid to implement something with help from others either, unlike a lot of modern managers who are pretty stubborn. It might be a good thing if he is backed and I think the over the top criticism for him right now is pretty useless. Pochettino could very well be a great fit for building something, but I'm not sure if he has the credibility in building more than just a good team. We'll have to change our current culture and the minds of our CEO to change our path. You can't expect a manager to do it, but that is what Ole has to do.

red4ever 79

We are in relegation form. Ole wont last next season in my honest opinion and that hurts me to say because I love the guy. Players are a shambles and are riding off the back of the supporters. Cant see Ole getting rid of 7-8 players and bringing in minimum of 5 first team players, and showing us tactically something different next season

nainaisson

Every decision the Glazers/Woodward make is based on making or saving money, not winning trophies
Exactly, which is why Mourinho was the only top manager masochistic or delusional enough to take the job. Klopp and Guardiola realized the Glazers' only priority is milking a cash cow for all it's worth. I don't blame any top manager for avoiding the club like the plague.

Moriarty

Neutral my arse.

soapythecat

Not sure what the game plan was in the second half but it lacked anything that suggested we wanted to win the game. Poor subs - we literally gave the half to Chelsea without making them work hard.
Tactics and team selections have been woeful recently. Absolutely woeful.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It was very bizzare in game managing for a must win match to reach top 4.
Judging by the big smile Ole had after the 1-1 draw with Chelsea, I think he is happy to finish in 5th/6th. Perhaps he wants to play in the Europa League, to learn the ropes, before going back in the CL.

JMack1234

I have blind faith in Solskjaer,

However it would probably be a good idea to close this thread and meet up this time next year to see what's going on and if Ole has improved us.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
You are both complete and total idiots. Morons. Plastic fans to boot.

He may not come good, but to make those kind of idiotic statements without even giving him the slightest chance here is genuinely dumb.

Go unplug your wifi or something, turn your phone off and go to bed you'll have to get up for school in the morning.

In the off chance you are an adult then to resort to calling people retards and morons because their opinion differs from yours is utterly ridiculous.

ArjenIsM3

I still can't bring my head about this sub. Really his in game management is terrible.
I really don't understand what you find so baffling about this sub. We were at a point in the game where they enjoyed more possession and were winning the midfield battle more often than not. By bringing on a midfielder Ole tried to regain control of the game and in doing so Pogba could move further up the pitch. The only other move he could have made was bring on Martial who has done feck all lately and tends to disappear in tough games. Or Pereira. Someone who hasn't performed anywhere near as well as McTominay has lately. There was nobody else he could have subbed on.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are in relegation form.
Indeed.
Yet why isn't everybody else seeing this?
Any other manager in charge, with our current form would be getting pelters.
2 wins and 7 losses in 10 games is shockingly bad.

el3mel

I really don't understand what you find so baffling about this sub. We were at a point in the game where they enjoyed more possession and were winning the midfield battle more often than not. By bringing on a midfielder Ole tried to regain control of the game and in doing so Pogba could move further up the pitch. The only other move he could have made was bring on Martial who has done feck all lately and tends to disappear in tough games. Or Pereira. Someone who hasn't performed anywhere near as well as McTominay has lately. There was nobody else he could have subbed on.
Great. What were going to do after regaining possession of the midfield after we had already evacuated the attack and isolated only 2 forwards up front ? Would have done feck all with the ball after getting it.

0le

Why does he keep starting Lukaku when he was mostly used as a super sub during the winning run?

I think this is because we have three forward positions to fill and six players (Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata) to do fill them with and all six have issues. Eventually, a player you or I does not like will have to start because of injury or Ole trying different things.

Why doesn't he have the balls to drop DDG?

I agree, this was a bad decision.

Why does he hesitate and mess up substitutions, especially offensive ones?

I agree it is an issue, but it could be that he does not have much faith in the substitutions he has to bring on. Definitely one to watch coming into the next season.

Why doesn't he make changes when the offensive players are clearly gassed?

Lack of quality. They may not actually be gassed, they may just be shit.

Why doesn't he have a word with Rashford about the free kicks?

I agree. Rashford needs a stern discussion about this.

Why is he hell bent on enforcing championship style tactics?

Not sure what is meant by this. As of this moment in time, we are no better or worse than when Mourinho was here and that remains sixth place in the PL.

Dan_F

If his constant excuse is the players being unfit, why doesn’t he adapt his tactics? What’s the point in pressing high if they cant do it for more than 45 minutes.

I think it’s BS. Pressing high doesn’t mean you’ll be using so much energy you can’t make a 10 yard pass in the second half. If anything the likes of Rashford and Lukaku should use up less energy than the type of pressing they did under Jose. Before they were having to chase solo from the half way line and run around while the ball got passed around them.

Champagne Football

Once Ole gets rid of the mercenaries and deadwood and brings in some kids with Utd DNA... I'll have belief he can turn it around.

He has all the ingredients to be a top modern manager.

red4ever 79

Just watched his post match interview. Looks stressed and nervous now. Pressure is mounting.
Impressed with the journalists for a change. Is De Gea a liability. Is the team not fit enough. Lukaku looked like his fitness dropped off. Some good questions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I would consider him as a genuine option but would look at other ones too. He definitely wouldn't be the obvious winner.

Frank Grimes

Solskjaer is here for the forseeable future and deserves a chance to get in a few players and try and sort out our mess of a squad. I seriously doubt he has what it takes but asking for his head now is ridiculous. He may end up been a decent bridge manager until we get someone capable of taking us to the next level. My expectations are low.

Champagne Football

what ingredients? I dont see it.
Maintains integrity under pressure. Keeps his cool. He's been left with a sinking ship from a previous manager who neglected young player development and tried to buy his way to success. We can only judge Ole properly by November 2019. He deserves to be given till then to show what he can do.
There was no elite manager available such as Klopp or Pochettino when we fired Jose. So Ole deserves a chance to turn it around and shipping out 7 overpaid overfed giant egos will be his first huge task.

Eddy_JukeZ

Solskjaer is here for the forseeable future and deserves a chance to get in a few players and try and sort out our mess of a squad. I seriously doubt he has what it takes but asking for his head now is ridiculous. He may end up been a decent bridge manager until we get someone capable of taking us to the next level. My expectations are low.
Pretty much.

There's probably no manager out there available now we can nab.

I have zero expectations for next season, but I seriously hope he proves me wrong.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If his constant excuse is the players being unfit, why doesn’t he adapt his tactics? What’s the point in pressing high if they cant do it for more than 45 minutes.

I think it’s BS. Pressing high doesn’t mean you’ll be using so much energy you can’t make a 10 yard pass in the second half. If anything the likes of Rashford and Lukaku should use up less energy than the type of pressing they did under Jose. Before they were having to chase solo from the half way line and run around while the ball got passed around them.
He did change the tactics and pressing relies on multiplying sprints which is very demanding. Now bear in mind that under Mourinho we were bottom third of the league in sprints and distance covered, the team wasn't prepared for that type of game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great. What were going to do after regaining possession of the midfield after we had already evacuated the attack and isolated only 2 forwards up front ? Would have done feck all with the ball after getting it.
A good few players heads dropped as usual. The frustration from that shouldn't be taken out on Ole, you disagree with a couple of subs. I remember SAF made weird changes that got criticised a lot for it in games but armchair managers know nothing. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was wrong. When the issue is due to mentality of pressure, how is he going to change anything with a sub? McTominaytor came in and gave everything and that should have been an inspiration for others but they didn't care. Ole only has 3 subs. He has not had time to work on the mentality of these players, and a lot of them probably aren't playing to stick around or want to play for the club so it makes changes from the touchline a bit more harder.

Unless you disagree and drool at this squad potential and think the issue in this team only arrived when Ole came.

dove

Maintains integrity under pressure. Keeps his cool. He's been left with a sinking ship from a previous manager who neglected young player development and tried to buy his way to success. We can only judge Ole properly by November 2019. He deserves to be given till then to show what he can do.
There was no elite manager available such as Klopp or Pochettino when we fired Jose. So Ole deserves a chance to turn it around and shipping out 7 overpaid overfed giant egos will be his first huge task.
Hardly "all the ingredients to be a top modern manager." :lol:

Canagel

Judging by the big smile Ole had after the 1-1 draw with Chelsea, I think he is happy to finish in 5th/6th. Perhaps he wants to play in the Europa League, to learn the ropes, before going back in the CL.
Yeah I think he's ok with finishing out of top 4. It shall be a reason to clear out lots of deadwoods. The board will give him him the money to start from scratch again.

Dan_F

He did change the tactics and pressing relies on multiplying sprints which is very demanding. Now bear in mind that under Mourinho we were bottom third of the league in sprints and distance covered, the team wasn't prepared for that type of game.
When did he change the tactics and to what?

Rusholme Ruffian

Unless we score a hatful in the next 2 games and finish on a (relative) high then Ole is going to start next season under intense pressure. Imagine if we lose a few at the start of the season? The press will be tacking those results onto his stats for the end of this season. A poor run and I could see him out after 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.