Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSingh2002

Was refreshing and reassuring not to see a lineup with Jones or Smalling in it.

Shame De Gea woke up wanting to be a let down of a cnut today.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I really don't understand what you find so baffling about this sub. We were at a point in the game where they enjoyed more possession and were winning the midfield battle more often than not. By bringing on a midfielder Ole tried to regain control of the game and in doing so Pogba could move further up the pitch. The only other move he could have made was bring on Martial who has done feck all lately and tends to disappear in tough games. Or Pereira. Someone who hasn't performed anywhere near as well as McTominay has lately. There was nobody else he could have subbed on.
Great. What were going to do after regaining possession of the midfield after we had already evacuated the attack and isolated only 2 forwards up front ? Would have done feck all with the ball after getting it.
After being dominated for about 30 minutes, it was then that we realised, with 10-12 minutes left, that we needed control?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When did he change the tactics and to what?
We went back to what we did under Mourinho, less pressing and generally play with a deeper defensive line whit less players committed forward on the counter.

el3mel

A good few players heads dropped as usual. The frustration from that shouldn't be taken out on Ole, you disagree with a couple of subs. I remember SAF made weird changes that got criticised a lot for it in games but armchair managers know nothing. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was wrong. When the issue is due to mentality of pressure, how is he going to change anything with a sub? McTominaytor came in and gave everything and that should have been an inspiration for others but they didn't care. Ole only has 3 subs. He has not had time to work on the mentality of these players, and a lot of them probably aren't playing to stick around or want to play for the club so it makes changes from the touchline a bit more harder.

Unless you disagree and drool at this squad potential and think the issue in this team only arrived when Ole came.
Having a crap squad doesn't excuse Ole for his crap in game management.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
How clear can it be that Ole is not the problem?! Honestly I think he can't wait until the end of the season for when the work really begins. No champions league next year is a bummer but I have full confidence that Ole will make some major positive changes this summer and get us at least on the right path. I can see some massive departures and some massive arrivals happening and Ole will get players who want to play for the shirt. We're seriously lacking character and I think that will be different next year.

Dan_F

We went back to what we did under Mourinho, less pressing and generally play with a deeper defensive line whit less players committed forward on the counter.
So did he want us to play like that in the second half? Or was it because we were too tired? Why doesn’t he realise we can’t do it for more than 45 minutes and try to play a different way from the start?

Champagne Football

Hardly "all the ingredients to be a top modern manager." :lol:
Doesn't throw his players under a bus. Has pedigree working with youth when he won the FA youth Cup for us.
Has 11 years management experience uncluding PL experience . Has never caused chaos/trouble at previous jobs like Mourinho/Roy Keane/Van Gaal etc Has won trophies elsewhere.... And last but not least - has had Mike Phelan mentoring him which is like Yoda giving you Jedi classes

Litch

Very Jose like. What happened to the exciting football when Ole first took over....

JPRouve

Scout
So did he want us to play like that in the second half? Or was it because we were too tired? Why doesn’t he realise we can’t do it for more than 45 minutes and try to play a different way from the start?
I don't really follow your questions, we aren't playing like we did during his first couple of months and we are simply doing what we did under Mourinho, remember that we were already a one half team. By the way, Rui Faria's specialty was fitness.

el3mel

Doesn't throw his players under a bus. Has pedigree working with youth when he won the FA youth Cup for us.
Has 11 years management experience uncluding PL experience . Has never caused chaos/trouble at previous jobs like Mourinho/Roy Keane/Van Gaal etc Has won trophies elsewhere.... And last but not least - has had Mike Phelan mentoring him which is like Yoda giving you Jedi classes
Think you forgot the white text because you can't be believing that is enough ingredients for top modern manager. I will assume you are just trolling.

Trondivan

I have been a fan since 1982. I know how shit smells and feel i have 10 pals from my childhood - 9 supporting Liverpool and 1 Leeds. Poor bastard

When Sir Alex was appointed We all was exited and terrified. Most of us dit not know who he was. BUT - Ho changed things - and some of us was thinkhing; well... new guy - Big lip - but no history.

Fast forward - LVG - MOU - and finally a bloke who knows our past and is a winner. OGS have the history and the desire. Let him have his go - and lets see.

Wee ned a major owerhaul - but i trust OGS on this.

Skint Billionaire

Was refreshing and reassuring not to see a lineup with Jones or Smalling in it.

Shame De Gea woke up wanting to be a let down of a cnut today.
We're all hurt from today mate. I wouldn't call him that FS. Bit of respect needed here. His confidence is low . As a United supporter in late 70s, through 80s and into 90s surrounded by gloating scousers. When we won something (i.e. Whiteside's FA cup screamer) it was pure feckin bliss. Fergie years were magic but here we are in tough times again. Shitbag owners etc. But our purpose as fans should be to close ranks and support our lads . A clever clear out this summer, and we could have a fast paced, multidimensional and powerful team in 2019-20. Let's make OT a fortress again. We're down but not out. Just need these miserable feckin glazers to wind their necks in for starters

ArjenIsM3

I have been a fan since 1982. I know how shit smells and feel i have 10 pals from my childhood - 9 supporting Liverpool and 1 Leeds. Poor bastard

When Sir Alex was appointed We all was exited and terrified. Most of us dit not know who he was. BUT - Ho changed things - and some of us was thinkhing; well... new guy - Big lip - but no history.

Fast forward - LVG - MOU - and finally a bloke who knows our past and is a winner. OGS have the history and the desire. Let him have his go - and lets see.

Yep I agree, but some people here are so impatient they're already asking for his head after our first dip even though he reduced the gap with top 4 by about 10 points which many thought was impossible and even though he hasn't even had the chance to drill his own tactics into the squad during a pre-season let alone bring in some players to fill the obvious gaps in our squad. It's ridiculous how there's people already wanting to burn him at the stake. I think it's some weird form of self protection instead of accepting that our problems run a lot deeper than the manager and they won't be fixed in a few weeks or months. It will take us at least two years and there will be ups and downs during that period. You only have to look at City or Liverpool for the evidence. But no, let's blame Ole the same way we blamed LvG and Mourinho. Look how that turned out. Same shite different manager.

Dan_F

I don't really follow your questions, we aren't playing like we did during his first couple of months and we are simply doing what we did under Mourinho, remember that we were already a one half team. By the way, Rui Faria's specialty was fitness.
I asked when did he change his tactics, assuming you were talking about the game today, rather than the last five months.

If we are simply doing what we were doing under Jose, why was there such a big difference between the 1st and 2nd halves?

JPRouve

Scout
Judging by the speed which he departed the club, he must have been bloody good at it. We never did find out why he left did we?
Mo, I will be honest I'm not sure if your first sentence is sarcastic or not.:lol:

And indeed I don't remember an actual explanation, he worked with Mourinho for a very long time and they split seemingly abruptly.

Moriarty

Mo, I will be honest I'm not sure if your first sentence is sarcastic or not.:lol:

And indeed I don't remember an actual explanation, he works with Mourinho for a very long time and they split seemingly abruptly.
It was indeed. I always thought those two were joined at the hip. Mourinho really did sour after Rui bailed out.

JPRouve

Scout
I asked when did he change his tactics, assuming you were talking about the game today, rather than the last five months.

If we are simply doing what we were doing under Jose, why was there such a big difference between the 1st and 2nd halves?
I was talking about the last 5 months. As for the big difference, I don't have an explanation it has been like that for a long time now, we are only able to play at reasonable tempo for one half. But looking at the players they seem knackered very quickly.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Yep I agree, but some people here are so impatient they're already asking for his head after our first dip even though he reduced the gap with top 4 by about 10 points which many thought was impossible and even though he hasn't even had the chance to drill his own tactics into the squad during a pre-season let alone bring in some players to fill the obvious gaps in our squad. It's ridiculous how there's people already wanting to burn him at the stake. I think it's some weird form of self protection instead of accepting that our problems run a lot deeper than the manager and they won't be fixed in a few weeks or months. It will take us at least two years and there will be ups and downs during that period. You only have to look at City or Liverpool for the evidence. But no, let's blame Ole the same way we blamed LvG and Mourinho. Look how that turned out. Same shite different manager.
I'm glad some other fans believe the same as I do.

Our so called fans want immediate success and have had it all too good under Fergie. I've been a United fan for as long as I remember. But I have only been around long enough to know the Fergie years, it's all I know.

But some of our fans have got to realise that we cannot always have it our way. The Fergie years have been and gone, that's the past. It won't ever be that good ever again. Back then it was a 2 horse race. Now there's arguably a 6 horse race. We aren't the best anymore and we won't be the best as we had it back then. The league's much more tighter than it was and the lower teams can beat the top teams. It's different now.

Let's not turn out like Real Madrid or Chelsea and keep changing managers when we don't win all the time.

Like I said in my other post on the other Ole thread, please take a read as it's quite the rant haha!

Please give Ole time and lots of it! Weren't there calls for Sir Alex to be sacked in his first season? Look how that turned out....

Reactions: Niall

reddevil702

Ole’s out of his depth and it was a mistake to appoint him. I can understand that the players might not be a the fitness levels needed for his preferred scheme but his failure to improvise has cost the United. We don’t have a single player in form right now, not one. We look absolutely clueless going forward and seem to again just hope and pray for individual brilliance. The current results are unacceptable especially when you look at our style of play.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He'll buy new players. Team will need time, dodgy performances in the meanwhile. Fans will turn on him and situation will be untenable. He won't finish next season I reckon.

Dan_F

I was talking about the last 5 months. As for the big difference, I don't have an explanation it has been like that for a long time now, we are only able to play at reasonable tempo for one half. But looking at the players they seem knackered very quickly.
Fair enough. I think the fitness issue is being over used as an excuse. Every game we’ve lost in this run is because we’ve faced some adversity and folded/completely lost composure. Obviously we got dominated by Barca and City, which is not surprising given the gulf in quality, but we played well up until we conceded in those games. That can’t just be a fitness thing, surely it’s a mental thing too.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Di Matteo was an interim manager, won CL first then got appointed as a permanent manager thanks to it, then got sacked after crushing out of CL group next season. You need to revise the sequence of events as you got it wrong apparently.
He still got sacked that is the point I was making, I already knew about the sequence of events.

Plain obvious you are just hating now. Taking pleasure in it, it seems as well. Do you even support United?
Nah, I am not taking pleasure in it at all. It is just that I want a United team that plays attractive football and is successful. If Pochettino is not available, I will support Ole because there isn’t much else we can do. I just hope, Carrick and McKenna with Ole can get us to play attacking football and bring back our form during the honeymoon period. If you support United, you will want that as well and not dire soul sucking football.

ZenMaster Coltrane

My concern is the ball movement not improving. People can talk about fitness required for pressing but 4 months is enough time to change the tempo and patterns of passing. You need to let the ball do most of the work.

Champagne Football

Think you forgot the white text because you can't be believing that is enough ingredients for top modern manager. I will assume you are just trolling.
I think ex players who possess the right qualities for management, always have a good chance if they have the right temperament, the right resources and have been coached by the best.
Nobody was tipping Pochettino, Guardiola, Zidane, Rijkaard to be great managers but it happened as they were given the right coaching and ingredients for it to happen.

Even if Ole fails, he will still leave a side far closer to what Utd is about for the next guy, bringing hopefully some kids ready to explode such as Sancho, Rice, Issa Diop, Tielemans etc.... And that can only be a good thing for Pochettino in summer 2020 if Ole has failed by then.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ole strikes me as too nice of a guy to be in charge of a locker room full of egos. I still reserve judgement on him until midway through next season but it's not looking bright. He had a great start, not gonna take too much away from him there but I do think it's always a bit easier to have a good start when you come in as a breath of fresh air from a toxic environment under Mourinho. Now, United is about back to where they were under Mourinho. I just don't think any manager can make a lasting difference without better coaches, especially on the fitness level; this team seems incapable of maintaining a high rhythm throughout a game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Nah, I am not taking pleasure in it at all. It is just that I want a United team that plays attractive football and is successful. If Pochettino is not available, I will support Ole because there isn’t much else we can do. I just hope, Carrick and McKenna with Ole can get us to play attacking football and bring back our form during the honeymoon period. If you support United, you will want that as well and not dire soul sucking football.
Thats good. I guess we are sort of on the same page then.

ArjenIsM3

My concern is the ball movement not improving. People can talk about fitness required for pressing but 4 months is enough time to change the tempo and patterns of passing. You need to let the ball do most of the work.
They've been a busy 4 months where most of the time between games had to be spent doing recovery instead of working on tactics. I'd say the one opportunity he had to work on that was the week they spent in the desert. After which the players said they worked a lot in tactics and that there were more patterns of play under Ole than under Mourinho. Give him a pre-season to work in this.

Kaglish10

Having a crap squad doesn't excuse Ole for his crap in game management.
Mourinho apologist is talking about crap management? Mourinho apologists need to get a grip already. Ole is doing his best with a squad Mourinho couldn't get any reasonable performance from them yet he gets all this shit because some people can't forget the fact that their beloved was fired?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It was a poor business decision, the best commodity the Glazer's had with an interim manager is time. They probably got lazy when the results went our way and halted the development of hiring a new manager.

I've always reiterated the club should have pushed for Poch, Solskjaer has absolutely no credibility building a team. We could splash 500 million and still look clueless if the tactics and coaching is sub par standard. If anyone wants an example see here post Zidane Madrid slump. More players in Madrid starting 11 that would walk into any team of any league and they couldn't get going.

Long gone are the days of "do what you want", "express yourselves", "it's up to you", these professionals need to be coached on what to do, where to run, how to think etc. Coaching is also temperament and motivation, if Ole is struggling to get the players going how will we mount a league challenge when the high level needed has to be consistent every single week.
That is definitely the worse possible outcome. Wasting another £200m plus on new players and we have an even worse team. Ole doesn’t have experience rebuilding and I do not believe he is capable of. We will need to see who he brings in before I can make a more accurate assumption that he can rebuild this team to previous United standards.

RRCE

He’s clearly failing at the moment. Yes, he inherited a very flawed team which was nowhere near the top four. We saw the expected “new Manager” bump, and perhaps that lasted a bit longer than normal, but the performances and results have fallen right back to where they were. Ole shows absolutely no signs of being able to turn things around. The football gods have been kind, and a top four spot has been there for the taking, but we’ve absolutely pissed it away. He’s been given the job, and deserves some time, but as a Manager, the jury is very much out. I’ll be hoping for the best, but I’m expecting the worst.

The Nani

Fair enough. I think the fitness issue is being over used as an excuse. Every game we’ve lost in this run is because we’ve faced some adversity and folded/completely lost composure. Obviously we got dominated by Barca and City, which is not surprising given the gulf in quality, but we played well up until we conceded in those games. That can’t just be a fitness thing, surely it’s a mental thing too.
Yeah it’s extremely deflating when your forwards waste chances and your keeper lets the first half chance in yet again. Like clockwork.

That can’t be understated.

Why am I even in this thread.

Celoti23-81

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...-Woodward-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-Paul-Pogba/amp

Damming but not far off the mark. Unfortunately the way of playing is much much more than just the Utd way these days, which I think solskjaer is under the impression that it will be enough! Im just worried he doesn't really have much of his own ideas and philosophy to be able to compete with the likes of pep and klopp and even Pochettino.

The first few games I saw under Ole was a blueprint of a style of a winning team. The last few games has told me, when the chips are down, there is not much he can do about it, or how to turn it around. He does not look like the same guy he was 6 weeks ago, instead he looks lost sitting in his chair.

There are quality players in this squad, and we always said they can always improve. But not under Mourinho cause he is not the type to improve players. He is a manager for the here and now. Has Solskjaer improved any player in 4 months? Not really. If anything they have degressed. Is that a link to our poor performances and results? Maybe!

I think this is a similar position to Solari at Real Madrid, if not even worse. He had a team of champions to work with, minus Ronaldo. But they were playing as individuals, like we are at the moment. He was eventually sacked for the return of the champion Zidane.

Solskjaer will need a pre-season to implement his ideas, albeit with probably a 100 million max to spend on transfers. In reality, and it maybe short-termism, he doesn't look like the guy to take us forward.

If he has any chance to succeed, he needs the help of a world class no.2. And not the sentimental appointments of Utd legends!

el3mel

I think ex players who possess the right qualities for management, always have a good chance if they have the right temperament, the right resources and have been coached by the best.
Nobody was tipping Pochettino, Guardiola, Zidane, Rijkaard to be great managers but it happened as they were given the right coaching and ingredients for it to happen.

Even if Ole fails, he will still leave a side far closer to what Utd is about for the next guy, bringing hopefully some kids ready to explode such as Sancho, Rice, Issa Diop, Tielemans etc.... And that can only be a good thing for Pochettino in summer 2020 if Ole has failed by then.
Yeah but just because some very few ex players succeeded as managers doesn't mean Ole has ingredients for top modern manager. The ingredients are really not what define "top modern managers".

Dan_F

Yeah it’s extremely deflating when your forwards waste chances and your keeper lets the first half chance in yet again. Like clockwork.

That can’t be understated.

Why am I even in this thread.
We didn’t have a shot on target till the last 5 minutes against Everton. Not a single one in the second half today until Rojo’s header. I’m sure it’s annoying that De Gea is making mistakes, but he’s bailed them all out for the last four years, so deflation shouldn’t even come into it.

el3mel

Mourinho apologist is talking about crap management? Mourinho apologists need to get a grip already. Ole is doing his best with a squad Mourinho couldn't get any reasonable performance from them yet he gets all this shit because some people can't forget the fact that their beloved was fired?
Straight to the ignore list. You won't be missed. Goodbye.

Kaglish10

Straight to the ignore list. You won't be missed. Goodbye.
Good.

You really should tell us why you're unto Ole for no reason, considering he didn't ask de gea to drop a clanger. This isn't because the lethargic Martial wasn't put on the pitch?

Schmeichel=God

We're all hurt from today mate. I wouldn't call him that FS. Bit of respect needed here. His confidence is low . As a United supporter in late 70s, through 80s and into 90s surrounded by gloating scousers. When we won something (i.e. Whiteside's FA cup screamer) it was pure feckin bliss. Fergie years were magic but here we are in tough times again. Shitbag owners etc. But our purpose as fans should be to close ranks and support our lads . A clever clear out this summer, and we could have a fast paced, multidimensional and powerful team in 2019-20. Let's make OT a fortress again. We're down but not out. Just need these miserable feckin glazers to wind their necks in for starters
Nice post...love the username too!

Champagne Football

Yeah but just because some very few ex players succeeded as managers doesn't mean Ole has ingredients for top modern manager. The ingredients are really not what define "top modern managers".
I agree and we all thought Keano was nailed on to be the best coach but he doesn't have the temperament, and more importantly - he never spent a period doing an apprenticeship with a top top coach.
Zidane learnt a lot working under Mourinho and Ancelotti. Guardiola would have been well drilled in tiki taka before taking the hotseat.
Ole has gone out there and got 11 years experience under his belt and is now learning from the very best. It's a risky experiment that may not work, but my gut feeling is telling me once he brings in the right types and gets rid of the wrong types - then he can make it work.

el3mel

I agree and we all thought Keano was nailed on to be the best coach but he doesn't have the temperament, and more importantly - he never spent a period doing an apprenticeship with a top top coach.
Zidane learnt a lot working under Mourinho and Ancelotti. Guardiola would have been well drilled in tiki taka before taking the hotseat.
Ole has gone out there and got 11 years experience under his belt and is now learning from the very best. It's a risky experiment that may not work, but my gut feeling is telling me once he brings in the right types and gets rid of the wrong types - then he can make it work.
I'm not optimistic any more or at least not optimistic as much as I were earlier in his reign but I hope you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.