g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKills

I didn’t say he was up for the task, I said that the turnover should start with him. Our previous managers created nothing but ruckus. Solskjær is United all the way, and will make decisions that will benefit the club in the long run. You use lack of experience as an example that he will fail, that means in your eyes we should appoint a manager with even more experience, because that’s all that is to be up for the task right? Lava and Mou has plenty, yet failed. Maybe that’s not the solution?

Solskjær is a man the fans should have patient with, hence the SAF speech at his last game. Not Moyes, or Mourinho.
This is completely irrelevant, sorry.

Is Klopp 'Liverpool all the way'? Is Guardiola 'City all the way'? More to the point, was Fergie 'United all the way' when he arrived?

red4ever 79

How clear can it be that Ole is not the problem?! Honestly I think he can't wait until the end of the season for when the work really begins. No champions league next year is a bummer but I have full confidence that Ole will make some major positive changes this summer and get us at least on the right path. I can see some massive departures and some massive arrivals happening and Ole will get players who want to play for the shirt. We're seriously lacking character and I think that will be different next year.
Let's hope his plan isnt just to get our players in a boot camp for fitness. Let's hope he realizes that at least 6/7 of those need to be booted out due to not having the quality. That's my major concern that he is dressing this up as a fitness issue.

sugar_kane

Still the right decision and nothing this season will change my mind on that.

We’ve had six years of misery and playing football at odds with our history.

We need someone selfless at the helm who understands the club and will use ever fibre of his being to get us back to the top and playing the right way.

He may fail and he may fail badly but it is something we have to try, we can’t just go for another big name again and hope it somehow works out.

I love Poch but imagine how shit it would be if he was yet another name that the club chewed up and spat out and was gone inside two years, who then?

Ole is a club legend and will get the time to rebuild that other managers won’t because of how much goodwill he has in the bank, and we need a lot of time.

Also he may be the man to finally get the fans to turn on Woodward if things continue to go wrong, as they’ll never turn on Ole.

Something is clearly rotten inside the dressing room also and it’s unfair to judge him until that element is sorted over Summer - if he fails to do that and we start next season as we’ve finished this one then I’ll start to worry.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We just need to buy:

Jadon Sancho
De Light or Koulibaly (or both)
Wan Bissaka
A very good CM

And then we'll be in a much better position, and possibly win the league.

Come on Ole!
And kick out around 7 players... this needs more investment or we are brave and promote youth players

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

This is the problem. Players look so unfit, we might be the most unfit team in the league. We start well and we cant keep up for whole game (or heads drop when we concede which is so Un-Manutd).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

This is the problem. Players look so unfit, we might be the most unfit team in the league. We start well and we cant keep up for whole game (or heads drop when we concede which is so Un-Manutd).
This preseason has to be carefully prepared and it has to start now, plans for the players have to be made when they go on holidays. "Whoever exceeds this weight and body fat will be put through hell" or something like that. It'll be easier to see who can be counted on or not

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This preseason has to be carefully prepared and it has to start now, plans for the players have to be made when they go on holidays. "Whoever exceeds this weight and body fat will be put through hell" or something like that. It'll be easier to see who can be counted on or not
Sort of like Pep did when he took over and binned unfit players. He let them train only after they were in shape, at least that's how I remember.

If Solskjaer really wants Manutd to be hardest working team then he will have huge task in hand this preseason.

One of the first thing any manager works on is fitness (managers who take over after season).

High-intensity fitness drills, in which extreme work is done in a short but concentrated space of time, are the basis for Conte's fitness philosophy. Sources have described the training as "gruelling" and a look at just one of the regular drills reveals how much is demanded of players:

Run 100 metres within 20 seconds; rest for 20 seconds -- repeat for seven minutes.

Run 75 metres within 15 seconds; rest for 15 seconds -- repeat for seven minutes.

Run 50 metres within 10 seconds; rest for 10 seconds -- repeat for seven minutes.
Conte is not alone when it comes to this approach to fitness: Two of his rivals for the top four -- and possibly for the Premier League title -- have similar principles.

Jurgen Klopp had triple sessions in Liverpool's preseason, an approach that sources say left many of his players so exhausted that they would sleep in hotel rooms rather than go home in between.

Meanwhile, Ben Davies has revealed that his international teammates are often "stunned" when Tottenham players tell them of Mauricio Pochettino's fitness regime.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It has felt like in the past few weeks he has just been guessing at line-ups. Maybe even picking names out of a hat! But having appointed him (which they shouldn't have done/should have done until the end of the season as they promised), they have to let him build his own team. I've been worried rom the start that he is too sentimental. He thinks he can turn some o our players into those he played with or even himself. We need someone a bit more detached who will grow into a United man as SAF did, as Klopp has at Liverpool. I will be hugely surprised if Ole hasn't quit before this time next year and I still wonder if he might do so in the summer

kouroux

Sort of like Pep did when he took over and binned unfit players. He let them train only after they were in shape, at least that's how I remember.

If Solskjaer really wants Manutd to be hardest working team then he will have huge task in hand this preseason.

One of the first thing any manager works on is fitness (managers who take over after season).
I really hope Ole has a ruthless approach like that, he isn't their friend, time to stop being nice.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It has felt like in the past few weeks he has just been guessing at line-ups. Maybe even picking names out of a hat! But having appointed him (which they shouldn't have done/should have done until the end of the season as they promised), they have to let him build his own team. I've been worried rom the start that he is too sentimental. He thinks he can turn some o our players into those he played with or even himself. We need someone a bit more detached who will grow into a United man as SAF did, as Klopp has at Liverpool. I will be hugely surprised if Ole hasn't quit before this time next year and I still wonder if he might do so in the summer
There's no way Ole will quit in the summer, absolutely no way

I really hope Ole has a ruthless approach like that, he isn't their friend, time to stop being nice.
Ole definitely has a ruthless side to him, he's not named the smiling assassin for nothing.

Some of the quotes from his presser springs to mind here, "reality check",
"I'm going to be successful here and there are players there who will not be part of that"

Definitely shows he has a ruthless side that he's not afraid to show. Will not be surprised if there is some sort of clear out in the summer of dead wood. He's shown it with Fellaini that he's not afraid to get rid of players.

kouroux

There's no way Ole will quit in the summer, absolutely no way

Ole definitely has a ruthless side to him, he's not named the smiling assassin for nothing.

Some of the quotes from his presser springs to mind here, "reality check",
"I'm going to be successful here and there are players there who will not be part of that"

Definitely shows he has a ruthless side that he's not afraid to show. Will not be surprised if there is some sort of clear out in the summer of dead wood. He's shown it with Fellaini that he's not afraid to get rid of players.
That had nothing with his coaching, he has everything so far on that front. Extending the contracts of some of our players isn't screaming "ruthless" to me.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Maybe don’t enter a thread that’s titled “appointing solskjaer was a mistake” and insulting them because their opinion differs from yours. If you go back nowhere in my post did I say he should be sacked I said he was the wrong appointment, which he is as it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see he’s wayyyy out of his depth here.

He just sits on the sidelines like a deer caught in headlights looking dazed and confused. He’s definitely been given a free ride as he’s ex united if it was Some random manager we brought in and these were the results they’d be getting slaughtered by everyone right now.
No, he wouldn't. He would be getting slaughtered by idiots - because it is moronic to judge a manager without a pre-season, opportunity to sign his own player, or opportunity to drill the players to play in his desired style.

This is a moronic thread, and anyone who is already of the opinion that he is a failure is an impatient idiot.

Boxing Clever

Supports
Southend United
He's not doing anything special at all . He lucked into managing Spurs when every other big club is undergoing transitional period and still has won feck all.
And United lucked into winning their Premierships when disproportionate amounts of TV money and exposure were literally just beginning to infiltrate specific leagues and teams, thus creating the giant chasm we see today. Doesn't stop fans on here bleating about how big and important you supposedly are.

The fact is Pochettino has done a phenomenal job given the relative pittance in both transfer fees and wages he has to work with. Moyes too actually when he was at Everton. Fans love to sit up in their ivory towers completely disregarding both the context managers have to work with and the fact there are a finite amount of trophies to win and it stands to strong reasoning that bigger wages = better chance of success.

There's a video of Brian Clough in a documentary talking about how difficult it is to do well with little money when he was manager of Hartlepool. But yeah, let's have fans who in truth know very little about the subtleties of the game talk about managers who have won nothing bearing no regard whatsoever to context.

Last edited:

Celoti23-81

No, he wouldn't. He would be getting slaughtered by idiots - because it is moronic to judge a manager without a pre-season, opportunity to sign his own player, or opportunity to drill the players to play in his desired style.

This is a moronic thread, and anyone who is already of the opinion that he is a failure is an impatient idiot.
The best pre-season we ever had, even better than SAF' pre seasons, was LVG's first pre season. We looked like world beaters. It means squat these days. Fair enough get the players fit, like every darn football club does. Is he a manager that will get his ideas across? Only time will tell.
Last few games has not been a lack of fitness whatsoever, it's been a lack of ideas and how to get out of a rut. Fitness is just an excuse.

Boxing Clever

Supports
Southend United
The best pre-season we ever had, even better than SAF' pre seasons, was LVG's first pre season. We looked like world beaters. It means squat these days. Fair enough get the players fit, like every darn football club does. Is he a manager that will get his ideas across? Only time will tell.
Last few games has not been a lack of fitness whatsoever, it's been a lack of ideas and how to get out of a rut. Fitness is just an excuse.
Fitness is not 'just an excuse'. It really doesn't matter what your tactics are if players are too exhausted to carry them out. Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

Pre-season is not about results anyway, it's about perfecting general tactics and, yes, getting fitness up to optimum levels.

I'm not saying Ole's definitely going to be good enough (I really hope he does well but not too well for you), but he deserves more of a chance from some fans than he's getting. Especially now he is permanent boss.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Exactly my point - and only a moron would say otherwise because it is simply not fair to judge a manager without giving him more time in this situation.

Think it was fairly clear the players were exhausted in the 2nd half yesterday also, so I certainly wouldn't consider fitness an excuse.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Exactly my point - and only a moron would say otherwise because it is simply not fair to judge a manager without giving him more time in this situation.

Think it was fairly clear the players were exhausted in the 2nd half yesterday also, so I certainly wouldn't consider fitness an excuse.
Doesn't it concern you that we've been reduced to the point where "only time will tell"? A club as big as ours should not rest its future on hope.

Mr PG

Very very stupid decision to play Degea vs Chelsea. Told my buddy before the game if David played we were screwed. it's not like he's conceding tough shots instead getting beat from 35 yards even by Everton is pretty serious.

Celoti23-81

I'm not sure they were exhausted, I just felt Chelsea adapted to the way we played. We sat back straight after scoring the opener. I wouldn't envisage a premier league side to be shattered after 20 minutes. These are supposed to be athletes. People make it sound like we have played a 100 games more than everybody else.

A lot of the emphasis has been on making more sprints under Ole. But when we are making sprints into dead ends and dark corners, wasting energy for no reason, I call that a tactical flaw, it's not clever football. Asking young to hit 40 yard passes down the touchline into the corner flag for a striker to sprint 50 yards to get nowhere and having to turn back to pass it back to the same guy is tactical incompetence. Those things are taught on the training ground.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... If Pochettino ... is unimaginable that we actually let him go.
You can't "let go" a manager who didn't want to come to United in the first place because he's happy where we he is.

United fans really have to let go of this notion that Pochettino was an option - not least because it falsely makes it look as if Ole was chosen ahead of him. Ole was likely chosen because (a) he did very well in his initial run of games (b) he knows the club and is committed to it; and (c) if not him, then who else was realistically available?

Maticmaker

Ole, or someone like him from our recent (glorious) past was needed and had to be appointed Manager, sooner or later, because too many fans who had only known the glory years under Fergie demanded it!
We have to go through the phase of wishing the past would return, maybe Ole's the right choice, (lets hope and pray so) only time will tell, but such an appointment has to be made and tested and is therefore necessary before we as a club wake up and smell the coffee!

Was it Hegel who said "If history teaches us anything its that we never learn anything from History".

soapythecat

You can't "let go" a manager who didn't want to come to United in the first place because he's happy where we he is.

United fans really have to let go of this notion that Pochettino was an option - not least because it falsely makes it look as if Ole was chosen ahead of him. Ole was likely chosen because (a) he did very well in his initial run of games (b) he knows the club and is committed to it; and (c) if not him, then who else was realistically available?
I think much of this comes from the media, who made out the Poch link to be an option. I think most realistic United fans could see how utterly impossible it would have been to drag Poch away from Spurs mid-season, let along the end of the season if at all. The money to tempt him would have been beyond imaginable.
Out of interest - do you post on a Spurs forum? If so, what was the reaction to Ole getting the full time position at United? Laughter?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I would rather have every single one of these players leave before I ever wanted Ole to be sacked. None of these players deserve our loyalty as they have zero loyalty or commitments towards the club, Ole’s earned our loyalty and then some.
Give him the summer to reshape this squad and a proper preseason. If this works out, we have a manager who would stay with us for life, which is very hard to find anywhere in football.

Lee565

There are probably easily a hundred managers we could have chose from that are more qualified for job than Ole, if we was going to take such a punt on a manager we could have at least took it with a manager that has the potential to be the next big name manager in the game, even a manager like Brendan Rodgers who has shown he can install a clear positive philosophy from the get go no matter what the quality of the team he is dealing with would have been a far better choice.

I just find it weird how we go from one extreme to another, "oh Pep, Klopp, Zidane ain't available, well let's give to a guy then that who's only done well in a minnow league like Norway and failed miserably in both the premier league and even the championship division!".

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think much of this comes from the media, who made out the Poch link to be an option. I think most realistic United fans could see how utterly impossible it would have been to drag Poch away from Spurs mid-season, let along the end of the season if at all. The money to tempt him would have been beyond imaginable.
Out of interest - do you post on a Spurs forum? If so, what was the reaction to Ole getting the full time position at United? Laughter?
No laughter, just surprise that United didn't wait until the summer before deciding and a fair bit of scepticism that it would work out well.

Nikelesh Reddy

I would rather have every single one of these players leave before I ever wanted Ole to be sacked. None of these players deserve our loyalty as they have zero loyalty or commitments towards the club, Ole’s earned our loyalty and then some.
Give him the summer to reshape this squad and a proper preseason. If this works out, we have a manager who would stay with us for life, which is very hard to find anywhere in football.
Haha....Find it really cute how we still keep hoping against hope that “if this works out,then we have someone for life”.Nothing suggests that it’s going to work out....He”ll probably be gone by this time next season....

MisterLupus

Maybe don’t enter a thread that’s titled “appointing solskjaer was a mistake” and insulting them because their opinion differs from yours. If you go back nowhere in my post did I say he should be sacked I said he was the wrong appointment, which he is as it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see he’s wayyyy out of his depth here.

He just sits on the sidelines like a deer caught in headlights looking dazed and confused. He’s definitely been given a free ride as he’s ex united if it was Some random manager we brought in and these were the results they’d be getting slaughtered by everyone right now.
United's been third best in the league since he took over - up from being stuck sixth with eight points up to fifth and only three points seperating us from eleventh. We were a solidified mid-table team when he entered the scene - at huge risk of falling even further. I doubt anyone's giving him a free ride because "he's an ex-united player" - people are just saying (and rightly so) that our results and performances have definitely improved since he took over and that this isn't even his team he's playing with. So you're pretty much countering an argument very few (if any!) are making here saying that's why they want him to stay - because he's a former player - which I suppose is a good idea if you have no real points to put forth against someone.

There's been a huge increase in form since he took over and if we finish above seventy points - up from 26 midway through... How can you claim he's "Out of his depth?" Because his win ratio isn't 100%? Only two managers have done better than him since he came in and they've both spent years building their teams. And most people aren't even saying he'll be a guarantee for success they're just saying we need time before judging him that he needs a chance to build his own team and that dismissing him at this point is both petty and stupid and also unwarranted given the position we're in now contra where we were back then.

This whole thread is moronic. No question about it. It's too soon to judge his performance - and focusing on one bad beat not seeing the whole picture nor taking into consideration it's context is foolish. That would have disqualified both Sir Matt and Sir Alex too - and pretty much every manager there's ever been both successful ones and not past or present. It's too soon to judge him and our overall results and performances since he took over doesn't even warrant such a harsh judgement - easy as that. You guys are suffering from a lack of perspective - basing your entire condemnation on selective reasoning. You're also suffering from an obvious memory loss - or a state of denial as to where we were back then both in terms of results and performances.

Ole definitely has a ruthless side to him
Nonono he's such an angel... It's not like he would run across an entire field and sweep someone's legs getting himself sent off just to save a title for us now is it? :angel:

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Ole, or someone like him from our recent (glorious) past was needed and had to be appointed Manager, sooner or later, because too many fans who had only known the glory years under Fergie demanded it!
We have to go through the phase of wishing the past would return, maybe Ole's the right choice, (lets hope and pray so) only time will tell, but such an appointment has to be made and tested and is therefore necessary before we as a club wake up and smell the coffee!

Was it Hegel who said "If history teaches us anything its that we never learn anything from History".
Yep, maybe this is the appointment that forces us to break with the past. Let's hope he succeeds though.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
All of you wanting Ole out or convinced he's the wrong appointment are simply clueless about football tactics beyond formations, as harsh as it sounds. Whether or not he is the right appointment, time will tell. He has made some mistakes but his tactics are a breath of fresh air to Mourinhos. The guy knows how this team needs to play to win but the question is if he can implement it and I think he will.

Ole is going to be a success here and I know this.

Moriarty

Don't think it was Hegel. I heard it as "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." My old history teacher was fond of that particular phrase. It's somewhat apt though when applied to United.

dove

All of you wanting Ole out or convinced he's the wrong appointment are simply clueless about football tactics beyond formations, as harsh as it sounds. Whether or not he is the right appointment, time will tell. He has made some mistakes but his tactics are a breath of fresh air to Mourinhos. The guy knows how this team needs to play to win but the question is if he can implement it and I think he will.

Everyone who has any doubts about Ole is clueless because... you know he will be a success based on nothing :lol:

shamans

Everyone who has any doubts about Ole is clueless because... you know he will be a success based on nothing :lol:
Nope. Doubts about him are fine. Like I said you can say he's the wrong guy because he can't get his plan across or he has the wrong idea. People here are suggesting he is absolutely clueless with no plan and like a deer in headlights. That's just stupid and you don't understand tactics if you think he's doing "nothing"

Sauldogba

The only reason why he will get some of my support and why im cautiously interested in seeing how he does is because i can see how he wants to play and set up his teams and because we have tried the long term/fergie appointment (Moyes) we have tried the ship steadying appoinement (Lvg) and the elite manager appointment (Mourinho) so lets try the Barcelona model of getting the ex player who understands the club culture and the united dna.

I can 100 percent understand why people want him gone though and if we had anything about ourselves as an elite club like the Madrids,Barcelonas,Chelseas he would be gone so i see it drom both points of view.
If this doesnt work we need to hold the board accountable because its on them.

reddevil702

What you're basically saying is it still remains to be seen if the Ole can coach. If that's the case what make you so sure he's going to be a success? His coaching CV isn't great and his overall record at United is a tale of two halves (16-3-8), so it's difficult to see what we will really get next season.

shamans

What you're basically saying is it still remains to be seen if the Ole can coach. If that's the case what make you so sure he's going to be a success? His coaching CV isn't great and his overall record at United is a tale of two halves (16-3-8), so it's difficult to see what we will really get next season.
Yes you're right about what I'm saying. I can get those thinking he can't do it but I think he can because of the positives I've seen this season with the players he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.