Are Saudi Arabia taking over world sport?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We have been over this in the SJR vs Qatar thread but Sports Washing doesn't work on your average person, sure it exist as the Saudi's have hosted a load of events in the past year but it doesn't cover up what they have done it past.

No it doesn't cover it up but it normalises it to a degree and forces it to be an aside.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm specifically referring to the people who would bitch and whine about it, crack open a few beers then tune into the Saudi GP or cheer on the boxing etc.
Not sure what the beers have to do with it but being unhappy about sportswashing doesn’t prevent you watching sport. It’s not as though any of us refused to watch the FA cup final because City were involved.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No but that's the point. It's bettering your image by sponsorship. It's marketing.
Well, up until World Cup 2022, Russia 2018 was arguably probably the best World Cup ever. I don't think anyone has a better impression of Putin because of it? Are you saying you're warming to the likes of MBS?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Not sure what the beers have to do with it but being unhappy about sportswashing doesn’t prevent you watching sport. It’s not as though any of us refused to watch the FA cup final because City were involved.
I'm not talking about any sport though am I? I'm talking about the Saudi sporting events. I don't understand why anyone who feels so strongly about sportswashing would be remotely interested in anything they have to offer?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well, up until World Cup 2022, Russia 2018 was arguably probably the best World Cup ever. I don't think anyone has a better impression of Putin because of it? Are you saying you're warming to the likes of MBS?
Me? No. But I didnt watch the World Cup. But lots of fans of City and other clubs linked with Oil money talk down their actions as cultural to the point you're a racist if you disagree.

As for Putin, not sure the war helped but for a while he wasn't the pariah he is now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not talking about any sport though am I? I'm talking about the Saudi sporting events. I don't understand why anyone who feels so strongly about sportswashing would be remotely interested in anything they have to offer?
Ah. Ok. Fair enough. I personally would have no interest in watching any Saudi run events. Partly because feck sportwashing but mainly because I hate golf.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So there's no sport washing unless it's a sport you personally like? Maybe yes on an individual level but people like golf. The weirdos.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Bow to our oil Baron overlords.

Money wins out all of the time because humans are scum and can't get past greed and that's why city will never get punished for what they are at.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Me? No. But I didnt watch the World Cup. But lots of fans of City and other clubs linked with Oil money talk down their actions as cultural to the point you're a racist if you disagree.

As for Putin, not sure the war helped but for a while he wasn't the pariah he is now.
Completely agree. There are certain things which should transcend culture especially in this day and age. There's no such thing as an acceptable honour killing. Child slavery and marriage can not be justified in any context, for examples. Although these are extreme examples, the idea that someone would soften their stance on these things just because of a sporting event is bizarre.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
How can he continue after this. Surely he cannot look McIlroy and Woods in the face ever again

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Completely agree. There are certain things which should transcend culture especially in this day and age. There's no such thing as an acceptable honour killing. Child slavery and marriage can not be justified in any context, for examples. Although these are extreme examples, the idea that someone would soften their stance on these things just because of a sporting event is bizarre.
And there you have your sportswashing in action. You can reverse engineer the definition.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
My wife does all my sports washing.

dal

Why is it depressing? 200 years ago in England the slave trade was still active, Gays and bisexuals were bludgeoned to death, our police force is still institutionally racist and less than 100 yearso ago the english killed and rules indians and took there crown jewels just for a laugh. Not to mention joining a stupid war against Iran and Afghanistan for oil money which would be treated today not far from the horrendous war in Ukraine.

They are trying to change their image, maybe their actions will follow, they are behind the west in their development but they will get their hopefully. Obviously its not good where they are at its like where England was 100 years ago maybe sooner.

Some of you need to know your history because it wasn’t many generations ago your ancestry was worse but has now changed. Probably the same folk moaning who cheered Abromovich and City and maybe soon to be Manutd.

Someone will make light of this or ignore it, normal hypocrisy.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
To this day, nobody has come up with a definitive explanation of what sports washing really is. Are people really that naive to hold someone in high esteem just because s/he throws enough money at something. 'Sports washing', whatever the feck that is, only works if suckers allow themselves to be duped by it. You can't blame the instigators really.

You can't bitch and whine about it whilst Sky has it's PPV boxing events, Saudi Grand Prix, LIV tournaments and the like front and centre. Trump nearly broke America yet people are happy to give him another 4 years. That shit happens all over the world.
Huh?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why is it depressing? 200 years ago in England the slave trade was still active, Gays and bisexuals were bludgeoned to death, our police force is still institutionally racist and less than 100 yearso ago the english killed and rules indians and took there crown jewels just for a laugh. Not to mention joining a stupid war against Iran and Afghanistan for oil money which would be treated today not far from the horrendous war in Ukraine.

They are trying to change their image, maybe their actions will follow, they are behind the west in their development but they will get their hopefully. Obviously its not good where they are at its like where England was 200 years ago maybe sooner.

Some of you need to know your history because it wasn’t many generations ago your ancestry was worse but has now changed. Probably the same folk moaning who cheered Abromovich and City and maybe soon to be Manutd.

Who are these peculiar folk?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We have been over this in the SJR vs Qatar thread but Sports Washing doesn't work on your average person, sure it exist as the Saudi's have hosted a load of events in the past year but it doesn't cover up what they have done it past.
I disagree to a point, look at Newcastle fans, they couldn't give a toss about the Saudis actions as long as their team keeps winning.

It doesn't cover up what they did/still doing, but it goes someway to make people associate Saudis with 'good' things rather than inhuman actions.

Withnail

It definitely works on the average person. The average person is a feckin moron.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That's exactly who it works on perfectly.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I have no interest on Golf. Why should he lose his job? Because he's jumped into bed with LIV now?
He originally talked about how Saudi Arabia's human rights record meant they weren't worthy of partnering with the PGA, etc. He also used the 9/11 Families group that has demanded accountability from Saudi Arabia last year before throwing them aside to make this deal.

Withnail

He originally talked about how Saudi Arabia's human rights record meant they weren't worthy of partnering with the PGA, etc. He also used the 9/11 Families group that has demanded accountability from Saudi Arabia last year before throwing them aside to make this deal.

Thanks man. JFC, How can you come out with the second statement after saying what he said originally?

Surely to feck you step back and let someone else do the PR shilling for the Saudi deal. No shame whatsoever.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Putin definitely benefitted from Sochi 2014 and the 2018 WC. He fecked it up by invading Ukraine but you'll note how many European countries were more than happy to trade with Russia and be dependent on their resources as well as how eagerly he was received in world capitals during those times.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

They are trying to change their image, maybe their actions will follow, they are behind the west in their development but they will get their hopefully. Obviously its not good where they are at its like where England was 100 years ago maybe sooner.

Just awful awful logic.

Actually appalling to see comments like this. Slavery was okay here 200 years ago so we can’t criticise current murderous regimes? Come on.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I just read the BBC article about Benzema signing with one of the clubs in Saudi.

But what caught my attention was how 4 of the top clubs there are all owned by the PIF… how does that work? How can 4 clubs in the same league all be owned by the same people and be a legitimate competition?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Putin definitely benefitted from Sochi 2014 and the 2018 WC. He fecked it up by invading Ukraine but you'll note how many European countries were more than happy to trade with Russia and be dependent on their resources as well as how eagerly he was received in world capitals during those times.
The guy's always been a dick. It's only Trump (who frankly isn't much better, let's be honest) who has really sucked up to him. Countries are always happy to trade with dodgy regimes if it benefits them so that's not really anything to go by.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Again, the answers you seek are within your own post. Your last paragraph describes exactly what they are doing. They do a lot of terrible things so it’s obviously in their interest to become closely associated with something which is perceived in a much more positive way. Even if only when it comes to the billionaires/heads of state they want to impress with their gratuitous spending. I just think it mad the way you refuse to accept that these people might actually care about how they are perceived. Just look as the rest of the richest men on earth. They’re all exquisitely thin skinned and needy in terms of how they’re perceived.
Spot on. Anyone who has lived and worked in the region knows this. They are also making sure they are still in a position of power once the oil runs out/isn't needed anywhere near as much.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

What bizarre "logic". Bad things happened hundreds of years ago so you can't criticise anyone for anything now? What utter rubbish.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No. But it certainly works. Alot of people now know more about Saudi League than they were before Ronaldo. I'd say 300M is cheap for that kind of exposure, we're talking about states funded marketint

Dr. StrangeHate

No. But it certainly works. Alot of people now know more about Saudi League than they were before Ronaldo. I'd say 300M is cheap for that kind of exposure, we're talking about states funded marketint
People buy poop juice because Gwyneth Paltrow sells it. I am sure many Ronaldo fans are swayed by his positive opinion about the Saudis.

dal

Just awful awful logic.

Actually appalling to see comments like this. Slavery was okay here 200 years ago so we can’t criticise current murderous regimes? Come on.
Of course you can but my logic is these countries will all get better by inclusion, what goes on there is bad, very bad but I was highlighting that just because is bad doesn’t mean it will always be bad.

To be fair in 20-30 years it won’t matter anyway.