Are Saudi Arabia taking over world sport?

RoyH1

I suspect in the next couple of years, before the end of this decade, they will start a successful Super League. As they’ve already managed to force the PGA into submission with LIV, it only takes a bag full of money aimed at the biggest names of the target sport. It’ll just take a few of the biggest clubs to sign a billion or multi-billion dollar contract to participate and just like that, UEFA and FIFA are vulnerable and will need to consider negotiations or be outbought by Saudi Arabia.
That's what I was thinking too. It won't be the big continental clubs led by Florentino Pérez, but Saudi Arabia that is a distinct possibility. UEFA would be powerless in the face of that wealth.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A tory paper doing a culture war victory lap because someone who has spoken in favour of gay rights is moving to a country that executes gay people?
It was more an attempt of humour that Jordan Henderson leaving England would be good for football. Being a Man Utd supporter and all that.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

Saudi Arabia yesterday won the Overwatch World cup. To normal people, this is an e-sports tournament for a game owned by Blizzard which is owned by Microsoft.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Saudi Arabia yesterday won the Overwatch World cup. To normal people, this is an e-sports tournament for a game owned by Blizzard which is owned by Microsoft.
It begins. This thread was definitely prophetic. The Overwatch World cup. Incredible achievement.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
They're also buying into the Indian Premier League(cricket).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They seem to be in competition with the Qataris to a degree. Having tiny neighbors Qatar host a WC and now become an interlocutor in middle east peace cannot go unanswered.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
World sport are just on a routine visit to the Saudi embassy. Their girlfriend waits outside. It’s a normal, everyday occurrence. Nothing to worry about. Slight delays happen all the time.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
World sport are just on a routine visit to the Saudi embassy. Their girlfriend waits outside. It’s a normal, everyday occurrence. Nothing to worry about. Slight delays happen all the time.
:nervous:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Behind a pay wall annoyingly - what's the gist of it?
Pretty balanced, discusses the positives, as well as the warts, of ME countries striving to hold more international events as well as buying into current sports franchises. Touches on the hypocrisy of the USA co-hosting the 2026 WC as well as Europe wrestling with the influence of ME money in their domestic leagues.

Pointedly said that the NFL is the only major sport with no sovereign wealth fund money currently, but they have created a task force to look into the possibility in the future.

RoyH1

Pretty balanced, discusses the positives, as well as the warts, of ME countries striving to hold more international events as well as buying into current sports franchises. Touches on the hypocrisy of the USA co-hosting the 2026 WC as well as Europe wrestling with the influence of ME money in their domestic leagues.

Pointedly said that the NFL is the only major sport with no sovereign wealth fund money currently, but they have created a task force to look into the possibility in the future.
That's quite interesting considering the NFL is by FAR the professional sports league with the highest revenue. Their revenue per match is astonishing. I wonder why those American billionaires would want the oil states crashing in into their rich gated community?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Thank you.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
That's quite interesting considering the NFL is by FAR the professional sports league with the highest revenue. Their revenue per match is astonishing. I wonder why those American billionaires would want the oil states crashing in into their rich gated community?
Probably for the possibility of more money

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Saudis are obviously making a massive push for global relevance, especially after watching the Qataris do it over the past few years, so this would seem like a logical project to complement MBS' 2030 vision. At least they know oil money is finite in the age of renewables and electricity and are making an effort to diversify towards the right direction.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Saudis are obviously making a massive push for global relevance, especially after watching the Qataris do it over the past few years, so this would seem like a logical project to complement MBS' 2030 vision. At least they know oil money is finite in the age of renewables and electricity and are making an effort to diversify towards the right direction.
It's an interesting point - but if energy trends are to go by, Saudi / Middle East will be providing 40% of Europe's hydrogen demands by 2030/2040. So, there's still going to be considerable reliance on them even in the renewable age.

There's already plans being made into feasibility exercises re virtual or physical pipelines to transport this gas.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
League thread has been bumped with yet more speculation of Saudi involvement in the Champions League, this time in the form of Al-Nassr being handed a spot as "one of the three most popular clubs in the world".

Clearly bollocks, but I can definitely see a Saudi-led super league rearing its head before long.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
League thread has been bumped with yet more speculation of Saudi involvement in the Champions League, this time in the form of Al-Nassr being handed a spot as "one of the three most popular clubs in the world".

Clearly bollocks, but I can definitely see a Saudi-led super league rearing its head before long.
Wouldn't be surprised if they try to weasel a couple of their clubs into the CL, especially given CR7 and all the other known players they've imported.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Wouldn't be surprised if they try to weasel a couple of their clubs into the CL, especially given CR7 and all the other known players they've imported.
They'll try, I just don't see why anyone would be on board (other than those at UEFA whose hands are being greased).

The only thing the European elite have over the Saudi clubs now is access to elite, presigious competition. Lose that, and there's no reason for the best players to turn down big money moves to Saudi.

That's before you get to the "lesser" European sides who would be losing out on places to make room.

UEFA have just avoided one attempt at a splinter league. This sort of move would surely justify it?

RoyH1

UEFA will let them in before the super league break can happen. Those UEFA bosses cannot have a regular 9-5 job and will allow anything before their main source of income breaks away. Just look at the video of how frantic Ceferin was in those few hours when the Superleague break was still in limbo. English football fans saved his beef then, but Saudi has too much money to be denied.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
UEFA will let them in before the super league break can happen. Those UEFA bosses cannot have a regular 9-5 job and will allow anything before their main source of income breaks away. Just look at the video of how frantic Ceferin was in those few hours when the Superleague break was still in limbo. English football fans saved his beef then, but Saudi has too much money to be denied.
As above, it's not in any club's interest to let them in.

Traub

As above, it's not in any club's interest to let them in.
Of course it is - the club owners will get cash from Saudi. The only big clubs against the super league were the Germans due to fan ownership.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Of course it is - the club owners will get cash from Saudi. The only big clubs against the super league were the Germans due to fan ownership.
The difference there was that the clubs involved were the established elite.

There is no benefit to them to add one or more Saudi clubs to that group.

The only real difference between the top European sides and the super-rich Saudi sides is the level and prestige of the competition they play in.

Simply put, there'd have been no reason for Mbappe to turn the move down in the summer if the Saudi clubs had a seat at the same table, and the European sides, in general, can't hope to compete with that level of financial pull.