Are some players saving themselves for the World Cup?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Maybe not going into tackles or giving it 100%, is this why we're seeing some 'big' teams struggling lately?

With the WC just a few weeks away maybe there is something in that.

The likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs have a lot of internationals in their teams, would results look at bit different if there wasn't a WC this time of the year? just maybe.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Nah. I think many are managing their playing time. But most top players just want to be brilliant all the time. Anyone in an international squad that’s on the fringes of starting, needs to show up for their club.

Very few countries will challenge for the World Cup. France, Argentina, Brazil. All those sides have fierce competition for places. Few can afford to slack off. The next tranche of Germany, Spain, Portugal, there could be a case.

No player expecting to get to the first knockout phase as a best-case, needs to worry about ‘saving themselves’.

Admittedly, players that have never played in a WC, might make that the focus. But that’s true if very few I’d say.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
It's an interesting topic. Every player wants to go to the World Cup, no matter who they are playing for. I'm sure many players think about it. At the same time it's the perfect opportunity for clubs to use their players as much as possible. I feel like we aren't seeing as much rotation as we would with a hectic schedule like this if the WC break wasn't a thing.

No club is going to save and rest their players for national teams. Player pulls a muscle now and they'll be fit and rested on Boxing Day when the league starts again. Probably a better scenario for clubs than getting a mentally and physically fatigued player back from the World Cup.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The World Cup is the biggest event in football by far, despite what people have remodified it to to suit the performances of Messi/Ronaldo in it. Most players, even for strong nations, get one or two chances to play in it over an entire career, and fewer still will experience going deep in the competition.

I still believe it's the one tournament that players risk everything to participate in: lying about injuries; playing the biggest games on permissible numbing agents if crocked (which can have longstanding ruinous effects on the remainder of their career) and so on and so forth. There are players who will put country before club, despite the latter paying their wage and being their bread and butter.

There's no way some players aren't saving themselves for the tournament, I would say. If you're a guaranteed starter, and are therefore not having to use the remaining time and games to convince a manager to take you, you'd be a saint and consummate professional to give your all in some relatively insignificant 3-pointer over self-preservation for the biggest event and spectacle that rolls round every four years.

As the window between being moderately injured and it costing players their spot narrows, I should think there'll be a good amount of assured starters playing within themselves.

At the other end of the spectrum, and what balances things out, is there are players in last chance saloon to impress and make the trip, and it would stand to reason that they are pushing themselves harder and risking more as well as masking injuries that they'd otherwise not in their last gasp attempt to be taken.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I think players like Van Dijk is definitely. Never played in a tournament for Netherlands, crazy.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Actually lot of Dutch pundits now saying Van Dijk's lapse of form might be because he's saving himself. He missed the last tournament due to injury of course.

And let's be honest, who gives a feck about Liverpool. Surely even Virgil doesn't REALLY care.

ROFLUTION

I dont think so. This is the actual time to get in shape / form for World Cup. You’d want to be at your best right now and arrive at the WC peaking

ROFLUTION

Actually lot of Dutch pundits now saying Van Dijk's lapse of form might be because he's saving himself. He missed the last tournament due to injury of course.

And let's be honest, who gives a feck about Liverpool. Surely even Virgil doesn't REALLY care.
great bending of the mind there :lol:

ROFLUTION

I'm not a Dutch pundit :nervous: He has never played an international tournament though and we really love our national team here, unlike England.
didnt mean you but the pundits. He’s just been bad in focus really, so it seems far fetched to blame it on looking after himself. Gets fecked over often because of Joe Gomez too (Liverpool’s Mustafi)

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
World Cup will definitely be in players minds. Especially when they see James, Varane etc going down devastated because they're out of the tournament...

The schedule this season is really stupid. Leagues will be totally distorted by players getting injured at the world cup or recovering in the month off.

Hitsu

Supports
Chelsea
I guess there might be some saving themselves and though I wonder if there's some who are unintentionally distracted by it. Think how big matches in the league/European comps can distract a player let alone something as special as a world cup for your country

mav_9me

I highly doubt players can "save themselves during games", especially at the highest level. They would arguably be at higher risk for injury.

I do think players mighty be less likely to come back early from injury or less likely to play with a knock.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I wouldn’t be surprised if key players are particularly cautious especially those with a legitimate chance to be included in the final 22 man list.

After the World Cup I expect a few premier league teams (those with a sizeable number of internationals at the World Cup ) to produce a few lethargic performances.

This premier league season will definitely produce a few major upsets. Let’s hope we’re on the favourable end of that.

Strelok

Not Varane or any United player I reckon. VVD obviously.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Feck no. United players by now know better than to pull that bullshit with EtH.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It's so stupid to have a world cup during a season. Goob job FIFA you idiots

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Think the likes of the Kane, Sterling and Mount definitely are.

berbasloth4

Looks like most player across the board are downing tools.

Hard to blame them considering the amount of fellow pros getting injured and ruled out.

Internationals have always been a load of shine and not this world cup screwing everything up especially after the covid disruptions is an absolute nightmare.

I usually cheer on all our players regardless of country but this year I hope they are all out first round and back safe with no injuries.

RedDevilMachine

I think players like Van Dijk is definitely. Never played in a tournament for Netherlands, crazy.
That's shocking. I'm glad for him.

He has already won everything at Liverpool and I wouldn't blame him if he's doing this. Netherlands actually has a very good chance of going far in this World Cup considering the group and there is no particular stand-out team.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Wasn't Messi criticised for saving himself for the World Cup during the back-end of the 2013/2014 season (of course a World Cup in South America at the age of 27 was always going to be a huge deal for him) ?

dinostar77

Donny Ven Der Beek. Saving himself for a world cup hes not going to :lol: .

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It happens all the time just usually 90% of the games in the lead up are dead rubbers so people barely notice/care.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Man City and Chelsea players, hang your heads in shame.

El Zoido

They clearly are, an injury now rules them out of the World Cup. A lot of them are playing at 75%.

Blame FIFA for selling the WC to Qatar, resulting in a tournament in the middle of a season. It’s so ridiculous.

Chief123

Man City and Chelsea players, hang your heads in shame.
The reduced intensity in Man City’s performance in particular was very evident. They really did play like a team that was heading off to the World Cup. I don’t blame the players tbh. It’s a big event that they might not get a chance to play again. Possibly the last World Cup for a lot of them.

It’s just proper shit organising by fifa. At least in a normal World Cup you have around 3/4 weeks to recover from an injury to make it in time for the World Cup. But this time the World Cup starts literally next weekend.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably. I’d do the same in their position

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema has been "injured" for like a month now...

TheLiverBird

It’s certainly a Unique position for the players

it’s not something international players have had to experience before ie only having 8 days between breaking from the league to starting the World Cup

normally what is it? 4-6 weeks from breaking up in May to then starting a world cup

It is a joke situation becuase naturally no matter how much players say they are committed to club football, they will undoubtedly have the World Cup at the forefront of their mind being so close

in normal circumstances with a summer World cup, players would still of course have an eye on it, but with several weeks to recover should niggles be picked up, it’s less of a worry

they have 8 days recovery period this time

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The reduced intensity in Man City’s performance in particular was very evident. They really did play like a team that was heading off to the World Cup. I don’t blame the players tbh. It’s a big event that they might not get a chance to play again. Possibly the last World Cup for a lot of them.

It’s just proper shit organising by fifa. At least in a normal World Cup you have around 3/4 weeks to recover from an injury to make it in time for the World Cup. But this time the World Cup starts literally next weekend.
City players would have taken one look at the points difference between themselves and Liverpool and thought, 'that's fine we can take it easy'. Even if it was subliminal. No offence to Arsenal but there's only ever been one serious challenger to Pep so that's all they see at the moment.

Adamsk7

Sterling’s “migraine” yesterday made me think of this thread

Renegade

Clubs pay the wages to be fair. I don’t rate it, it’s not the clubs fault theirs a World Cup mid season. I’d be fuming if missing a player cost points that could ultimately see a club relegated etc.