Are the European Single Leg Matches Better than Home & Away?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've been enjoying the European Single leg Matches much more than Home & Away Double legs. It feels much more nerve wrenching and on your seat. United vs Copenhagen was just a 1-0 match but it was great. PSG 2-1 vs Atalanta was great too.

I've never been a fan of the away goal rule either - having the matches at one country like this every year like the world cups are organized would be great. England CL 2021 etc.

It's unlikely due to the loss of money from fans at different stadiums - but I much prefer single matches over double leg matches.

Last edited:

PeteManic

Of course. But more matches = more revenue. And football is nothing if not the ultimate capitalist spectacle.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Yes. Much better but it will revert to the norm of course.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Much better, agreed. More tense.

The first of 2 legs always feel a bit meh, because everybody knows there will be a return game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As a spectical yes.

As a season ticket holder who wants to watch a big European game at OT? Not at all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Better for armchair viewing yes..but less good if you want to actually go to the game. Presuming they'd all be in a neutral country

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I actually prefer the double leg. Makes it more enjoyable to play at home trying to overturn a deficit ala Liverpool vs Barca.

I do like this single leg stuff though as it makes it that anyone can win a game. where as with 2 legs the better team normally wins.

fps

For the neutral yes, and in a sporting sense yes.

But to make it fair there would be no more big champions league home matches. That would be very strange and sad for the fans.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

But to make it fair there would be no more big champions league home matches. That would be very strange and sad for the fans.
Good point. European nights at home are special.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Pros
1. Allows for more variance: you have to be good every night or you go home. Provides more opportunities for a smaller team to make it deep into the competition
2. Less mileage on players: less injuries
3. Removes the away goals rule which I think is somewhat unfair
4. Eases fixture congestion

Cons
1. Removes the lure of European nights at legendary stadiums. Think Turin in 2003 or San Siro in 2005... Wait that wasn't pleasant at all... But you get the idea
2. fecks the average fan more, who now have to shell out more for travel and accommodation and higher priced tickets. Plus fans should be able to see top European teams play at Old Trafford
3. Removes the intimidating factor of having to play at a hostile away environment. Think Galatasary, Celtic Park, Anfield (I know but teams shit their pants apparently), and so on. I remember when we played Celtic in 2007. They had no business winning but their crowd took them over the line

Skills

Snitch
Nah, it's just the new toy excitement.

2 legged games provide some classic encounters - i.e. us vs PSG last season, Liverpool vs Barcelona, some of those Madrid vs Bayern match ups in recent years, PSG - Barcelona etc.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
If you want to know who the better team is, its much better to have 2 games.

el3mel

Single games offer way bigger chance for the underdogs to hit and run.

2 games is more fair and the one who progresses will be always deserved imo.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Personally think these 1-legged ties make the matches feel more like the World Cup. Much more riding on the line. Mistakes made will be costly and there’s no chance to redeem yourself in a 2nd leg.

With the shorter schedule next season, imagine if UEFA did a 32 team free for all at neutral grounds. With 1 or 2 leg matches until the final. Unsure if the group stages can happen successfully with fans, and experts are expecting another wave of this virus in the winter.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good thought. Aside from the financial loss, this is the biggest reason why it wouldn't work.

Even at stadiums like Old Trafford & Anfield, home tie in CL from last 16 onwards generates an electric stadium atmosphere, which in turn is felt by the armchair fan.

The other loss is that it reduces the ability for top managers to trade against each other through tactical nuance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't think so. Its great to welcome big teams to your ground and two legged ties have set up some superb moments. Who will ever forget Turin 99? Or the round before against Inter in the San Siro? Or last year in Paris? 2009 at the Emirates with United players in blue shirts killing Arsenal on the counter? 7-1 against Roma after a tense first leg. Ronaldo banging in a winner from 40 metres at Porto etc The Remontada? Roma winning 3-0 to knock out Barcelona. You go back through the Champions League and there have been so many epic second leg knockout games. I wouldn't get rid of that. Not if its avoidable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Are teams expecting fans to be back next season?
I doubt it so its a fair point.
But it's still a financial loss for the TV companies who will generate nearly double the advertising revenue from a 2 legged tie.

SirAnderson

I like it. It has so much more weight! And it gives an underdog team a chance I think. Usually the bigger team gets it done over the 2 fixtures, but in 1 off, the smaller team can get lucky.

We’ve been forced into a mini tournament, and whilst very sceptical at first, I’m really enjoying it.

However, these end of season tournaments do not fit in with the domestic seasons.

One legged ties work if it’s a tournament, but don’t work if they are played in the regular season.

Personally, I’d like to see a way we can get these tournaments in, going forward. If not, I’ll enjoy it for the one and only time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm loving it personally, not just the single leg ties but the games occurring at the end of the season WC style

I'm all for change and things evolving, can't stay in the past forever. Embrace new things

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Maybe a bit of both. Last 16 and last 8 could be two legged. Semis and final one game in neutral venues.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you want to know who the better team is, its much better to have 2 games.
If you want to know who the better team is, remove the away goals rule and move to a best of 7 series instead

Until then we're just watching who is fitter and luckier, more than anything

Two legged ties are more of an epic, while only slightly less unpredictable than single leg

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I like it. It has so much more weight! And it gives an underdog team a chance I think. Usually the bigger team gets it done over the 2 fixtures, but in 1 off, the smaller team can get lucky.
Feels like that yet the data says otherwise

In the last 20 years of CL, in single leg ties(that would be finals) we've had the smaller team "get lucky" twice

Meanwhile, in 2 legged ties, smaller teams have gotten lucky twice in this season's round of 16 alone

edcunited1878

Two legged ties are better because you get home and away European midweek nights. Those are the matches you want to be involved with. If you're the best team in a head to head match, the better team will succeed across 180 minutes. Extra time plus penalties is a toss up. But whoever advances, they are worthy.

Managing your squad before and after two legged European matchups challenge the manager and squad as well. Makes you strategize, which is always a good thing.

From another reply above, having a best of 3 series would be interesting, based on points accumulated. So if both teams draw match 1, but a team wins match 2, there would be a match 3 because you can still draw level on points if loser of match 2 wins match 3. Whether you go into extra time/penalties or tiebreaker is up to the governing body. I'd go by goal difference across total matches played.

Nikelesh Reddy

I've been enjoying the European Single leg Matches much more than Home & Away Double legs. It feels much more nerve wrenching and on your seat. United vs Copenhagen was just a 1-0 match but it was great. PSG 2-1 vs Atalanta was great too.

I've never been a fan of the away goal rule either - having the matches at one country like this every year like the world cups are organized would be great. England CL 2021 etc.

It's unlikely due to the loss of money from fans at different stadiums - but I much prefer single matches over double leg matches.
Not sure about what’s better,but 2 legged ties are certainly more fair....The better team usually comes out on top in a 2 legged tie,whereas anything can happen in a one off game...

Number32

Are teams expecting fans to be back next season?
In January? Yes they are.
If you want to know who the better team is, remove the away goals rule and move to a best of 7 series instead

Until then we're just watching who is fitter and luckier, more than anything

Two legged ties are more of an epic, while only slightly less unpredictable than single leg
This is not a basket ball game, 180 minutes is more than enough to find who the better team is. Anyway a fitter squad is more than anything in best of 7 series instead of 2 legs game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2 legged ties and the away goals rule of course adds to the uniqueness of the CL. And definitely promotes merit more. However, there's definitely a decent argument in favour of single knockout matches given that's how the bigger football competition on the planet I.e the WC is played. Firstly, I think the away goals rule can be restrictive. It creates fear, cageyness and gives a bit too much importance to that one away goal. Secondly, the two legged tie favours big teams too much. In the age of super teams hogging up the best talent it really gives minnows little chance as we've seen over the last decade or so.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I like it, but I'd miss European knockout games under the floodlights at Old Trafford and other big, iconic stadiums too much to be in favour of implementing it full time.

Web of Bissaka

Single game - Final and Semi-Finals
H&A games - QF, R16 and the rest

As others have said, single game is more "luck-based" (any teams can win it) while two legged ties is more "ability-based" (better team to win it). Usually. Usually.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Two legged ties in the second leg, more often than not, always have one team losing.

You normally can't play for penalties with the away goal rule

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Feels like that yet the data says otherwise

In the last 20 years of CL, in single leg ties(that would be finals) we've had the smaller team "get lucky" twice

Meanwhile, in 2 legged ties, smaller teams have gotten lucky twice in this season's round of 16 alone
Though I tend to agree with you, the stats you're using are definitely skewed as there is by the very nature of the competition only one final, but there are lots of two legged games building up to it each year, so you would always expect there to be more shock results in the two legged games.

ti vu

As for now when it's played in this tournament settings, it has similar feeling to World Cup and Euro. It elevates even lower profile match up. It's great for what it is. However, in normal circumstances, when CL knock out games would be played in between domestic season, it would lose its magic. More distraction as high profile domestic games would overshadow low profile CL match-up. No longer you can space one CL quarter final per weekday without clashing with domestic schedule = advantage/disadvantage to teams whether in CL or domestic leagues. Again cramping them in, the low profile match-ups get further hindered.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'd be in favour of two legs up to the semis and then one legged neutral venues for the semis and final.

ti vu

I'd be in favour of two legs up to the semis and then one legged neutral venues for the semis and final.
Final being the ultimate showdown so it needs to be different than the rest. Finals may not always the best tugging war between the 2 finalists, yet the format helps keeping it emotionally special. Semi finals to be decided by one legged would steal part of that spotlight. Imagine 2 semi finals won by worse teams in 2 intense matches, just for a boring mudfight of a final. Instead of building up for the final, in that scenario, it would feel like the worst of 3 final matches of a CL season.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is not a basket ball game, 180 minutes is more than enough to find who the better team is. Anyway a fitter squad is more than anything in best of 7 series instead of 2 legs game.
It's enough to find out who is better at that point in time. And then luck plays a huge part in it as well, things like bounces, ref mistakes, etc
While fitness is and always will be the biggest difference maker at the highest level of any athletic competition, more games, and the elimination of a single game game-state influence extending to multiple games would at least mitigate those "luck" factors
Though I tend to agree with you, the stats you're using are definitely skewed as there is by the very nature of the competition only one final, but there are lots of two legged games building up to it each year, so you would always expect there to be more shock results in the two legged games.
I know, which is why i used 20 years worth of CL finals vs 8 R16 matchups in my example

The final consideration being home field advantage is better for smaller sides than a single elimination game

youngrell

They should run the groups as normal and then do this mini tournament at the end of the season. Less interruption for teams during league title run ins and a fun knockout tournament to cap the season off.

Season could finish a little earlier than usual because of less midweek European ties to accommodate.

Number32

It's enough to find out who is better at that point in time. And then luck plays a huge part in it as well, things like bounces, ref mistakes, etc
While fitness is and always will be the biggest difference maker at the highest level of any athletic competition, more games, and the elimination of a single game game-state influence extending to multiple games would at least mitigate those "luck" factors
For me, luck plays a huge part only in penalty shootout. But "luck" is all about your perspective, because such a thing could have happened to any team. So why did you see more misfortune in that event, than the actual shows of football. However I'm not going to argue your definition of "luck".

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm enjoying the fact teams are going for it, they have nothing to rely on, no home advantage, no away goals, no taking it into the corner...it's 90 mins of actual football.

But ultimately clubs have big expensive stadiums which they will want to and need to utilise, so as much as I'd prefer to see a tournament with 64 clubs and more knockouts, it won't happen.