Are there 2 more frustrating players to watch than Sanchez and Pogba in the league?

Lentwood

I don't think there was anything wrong with Pogba's application last night. Our problem is a lack of attacking shape.

Rashford coming on and staying wide with naturally left and right footed players in the respective full back positions made a big difference

It's not rocket science. LvG cracked it in the 90s and Pep's taken it on to a new level.

At the moment, we are trying to play through the eye of a needle. No patterns, no shape.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The problem is both play as individuals trying to do it all themselves. It took Mata coming on to get some combinations going in our our passing, just simple pass and move stuff.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't find Sanchez frustrating at all. He's not playing well and is clearly frustrated about this himself but he doesn't hide, despite this. He constantly looks to get on the ball and works his bollox off. Couldn't be more different to the player he replaced. I'm confident he'll come good and happy with the level of effort and desire, even if he is playing badly.

Pogba, on the other hand...

Zoo

Rooney and Nani were very talented and could be just as frustrating during games.

Pogba stepped it up in the second half and Alexis never gave up and played a part in 2 of the goals.

RedStarUnited

If I could see an attacking philosophy or ideology id blame them. No one knows how we build attacks, we need a structure. Between Pogba, Martial and Sanchez, Jose has some of the best attack minded players in the league. Yet they dont play anything as decent as a Liverpool attack with much less talent.

Having said that, il blame them for the simple losses of possession they had last night.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
They've both come from teams with a defined attacking philosophy and have been placed here where they basically have to develop that on their own with their teammates, it's not really surprising they're all struggling.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
On the other hand, Sanchez gave the ball away more times than I could count and Pogba used the ball better than anyone on the pitch. I know which I prefer.
Sanchez had a nightmare, but he'll find his form if he keeps putting the work in that he has been. So I'm not really worried.

Pogba was ok in the first half but he did nothing to justify him being in the position he was at the expense of another forward player. We didn't have any control on the game and he wasn't creating any chances. A few nice diagonal passes here and there. We had one chance which was actually down to good work from the front three.

Second half Pogba was no different to the first, except he was in the supposed position that he hates and that makes him rubbish...and we actually had more control on the game and threat, due to Rashford occupying the left hand side.

I only mark Pogba down from ok because in the 79th minute he literally just let a Palace player run around him and get to the ball, and then run unchallenged into our box. If they had picked the right pass this would have lost us the game. I don't like players who are willing to risk costing their team the game just because they can't be bothered to run a few metres.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't find Sanchez frustrating at all. He's not playing well and is clearly frustrated about this himself but he doesn't hide, despite this. He constantly looks to get on the ball and works his bollox off. Couldn't be more different to the player he replaced. I'm confident he'll come good and happy with the level of effort and desire, even if he is playing badly.

Yup, I'm with you on this one. Sanchez has incredible work rate and his low level is still useful for the team.

Pogba, however, has been nothing short of frustrating to watch week in and week out lately.

Meep

Pogba is frustrating to watch because he doesn't look to put his heart in the matches. He is strutting around.. falling down, complaining to the referees, taking to long on the ball to often without creating anything. I wish he wouldn't care so much about his appearance. Forget about the surroundings and play ball as a kid would do.

Sanchez I feel, hasn't mixed in well. This is not a problem, since this is pretty much true for the whole team, but there could be a solution. I don't have it but sometimes I wonder if this also comes down to too much pressure and wanting to do well to just be accepted.

Would be great if they all could find the joy in playing together and maybe, just maybe the turnaround yesterday could be a starting point for this. Take away all the seriousness for a game and just go out and play with some heart and joy.

Coxy

They’re both gash. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

Pogba’s obsession with branding and social media is the reason he’s not at De Bruyne’s level. If he had the dedication of Ronaldo, he would be like Zidane. But instead he’s got the mental age of a teenager. Obsessed with haircuts and social media and partying. I’m just sick of it. Grow up for feck sake.
Whilst I do think Mourinho is to fault with Pogba (he was fantastic at Juventus - what's happened??) I agree with this. They act like kids.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I think all our attackers are pretty good, the problem is their chemistry on the pitch.
Don't think Sanchez had that bad match yesterday, sure, he missed several passes, but that's sort of expected by flair players.
The problem in my opinion, is that his link up play with Lukaku doesn't work. Just wish Lukaku would work a bit on his technique.
At Arsenal, he had Özil, who understands how to do that, and that worked pretty well for him. Maybe we have to always use Mata as a #10, or advanced #8, to make Sanchez work better.
Those two seems to have good chemistry and understanding.

Adebesi

How much you care about your hair and social media is unrelated to how hard you work on the football pitch. Ronaldo used to be about haircuts and clothes as well, didnt do him any harm.

Irrational.

They’re both gash. Incredibly frustrating to watch.

Pogba’s obsession with branding and social media is the reason he’s not at De Bruyne’s level. If he had the dedication of Ronaldo, he would be like Zidane. But instead he’s got the mental age of a teenager. Obsessed with haircuts and social media and partying. I’m just sick of it. Grow up for feck sake.
You have hit the nail on the head there. He needs to be more grounded and log off Instagram.

Sadly I don't think Jose can do much about it, players just have far too much power thesedays - the manager-player bond has gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours about the row with Jose were true. Explains his half-arsed performances.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
How much you care about your hair and social media is unrelated to how hard you work on the football pitch. Ronaldo used to be about haircuts and clothes as well, didnt do him any harm.
Definitely, i have no clue why some people think those things are related.
My activity on here or facebook, or the way i dress and do my hair, has absolutely nothing to do with how i do my job.

Adebesi

Definitely, i have no clue why some people think those things are related.
My activity on here or facebook, or the way i dress and do my hair, has absolutely nothing to do with how i do my job.
Can only speak for myself but my activity on here or Facebook has slightly more impact on how I do my job than is the case for Pogba, seeing as at this precise moment in time Im really supposed to be working. Whereas I am pretty sure Pogba doesnt amble about in training while messing about on his phone.

At the end of the day we should all be happy he is more interested in his hair than in getting pissed and partying all night.

BigdaftGorby

Just a question for everyone, who else sees Sanchez urging his fullbacks forward when he had no options?
Maybe, just from what I’ve seen, Sanchez and Pogba are having to force the issue as we are a very static forward line.

That could be a contributing factor to them giving the ball away so much?

Simple passes are obviously no really accepted in that but they are supposed to be the men who create and open play for us.

Preezy

Sanchez at least applied himself last night, you could see he was getting more and more frustrated and angry - at both himself and his team mates. Pogba though, he just didn't look all that bothered either way. Both need to seriously improve but at least Sanchez puts the effort in. Pogba finally starts in a midfield 3 against a very weak opponent, and that's the turd of a performance he serves up? Not impressed, this is United, we have higher standards.

Adebesi

Just a question for everyone, who else sees Sanchez urging his fullbacks forward when he had no options?
Maybe, just from what I’ve seen, Sanchez and Pogba are having to force the issue as we are a very static forward line.

Simple passes are obviously no really accepted in that but they are supposed to be the men who create and open play for us.
Also noticed Sanchez and Young deep in conversation when they came out for the second half, which I assumed was Sanchez lecturing Young about what he should be doing.

acnumber9

The full backs probably got fed up with Sanchez gesturing for them to move only for him to give the ball away every time he got it or ignore them when they did make a move.

acnumber9

They've both come from teams with a defined attacking philosophy and have been placed here where they basically have to develop that on their own with their teammates, it's not really surprising they're all struggling.
This myth again. What attacking philosophy have Arsenal got? They’re worse in every area of the pitch than Utd are.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can only speak for myself but my activity on here or Facebook has slightly more impact on how I do my job than is the case for Pogba, seeing as at this precise moment in time Im really supposed to be working. Whereas I am pretty sure Pogba doesnt amble about in training while messing about on his phone.

At the end of the day we should all be happy he is more interested in his hair than in getting pissed and partying all night.
That would explain a lot tbf.

Greck

At the moment there's a huge disconnect between Sanchez and how we set up our fullbacks. Sanchez seems to expect they stay stationed higher up than they normally are when we only really give them license to bomb forward on a situational basis.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Sanchez's application can't be questioned. He hustles and harries all the way through the game, but when he gives the ball away for the 20th time that can become a little frustrating. I know he tries things so he's going to misplace one or two, but he can do with being a little bit more disciplined. Not to say we should completely neuter his attacking threat, but there's a balance that needs to be struck.

As for Pogba, i say the same thing week in, week out. He's just wildly inconsistent. Not just inconsistent from game to game, but widely inconsistent throughout the confines of a single game. What worries me about him is that when the pressure is really on, he regresses into his default mode of taking everything on himself. This invariably leads to a shitshow of a performance. He has all the talent in the world, but he can be so bloody nonchalant and selfish at times.

Keep shit simple.

Julian Denny

Yes Pogba did come into it in the second half as United became far more purposeful when chasing the game. But in the first half he was just strolling around at times. There's definitely an attitude issue there.

So far, Sanchez seems more hindrance than help to the team. He buzzes about, generally to little effect, and has little if any rapport with his team mates. Last night he gave the ball away so many times I lost count. Martial has definitely been negatively affected by his arrival, I wonder if Pogba has too? It's up to Mouinho to give Sanchez a role which is complimentary to the team and not try and get others to fit in with Sanchez.

Cantonagotmehere

Sanchez had a nightmare, but he'll find his form if he keeps putting the work in that he has been. So I'm not really worried.

Pogba was ok in the first half but he did nothing to justify him being in the position he was at the expense of another forward player. We didn't have any control on the game and he wasn't creating any chances. A few nice diagonal passes here and there. We had one chance which was actually down to good work from the front three.

Second half Pogba was no different to the first, except he was in the supposed position that he hates and that makes him rubbish...and we actually had more control on the game and threat, due to Rashford occupying the left hand side.

I only mark Pogba down from ok because in the 79th minute he literally just let a Palace player run around him and get to the ball, and then run unchallenged into our box. If they had picked the right pass this would have lost us the game. I don't like players who are willing to risk costing their team the game just because they can't be bothered to run a few metres.
Sadly, this is what I notice more and more. Look at the highlights if their 1st goal. If he hustled he could have marked Townsend. I am huge Pogba fan, but these type of mistakes are more bothersome than a wayward pass. I know he will get it together but I cannot blame Jose for being pissed off at him right now. One thing I see when watching Barca, Bayern, Real, and sadly City....those players run their hearts out for the most part. I don't think many managers would be happy with Pogba's play right now.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Oh, come on with this shit. They were excellent in second half. Everything started with them. Yes they lose ball often but they also create clear chances.
Agreed.
While our entire team were weak in the 1st half, in the 2nd half, after going down 2-0, our entire team (Pogba/Sanchez included), decided to turn on swagger. Everytime Sanchez got the ball he looked to create an attack (none of the aimless side.back passing). And didn't Pogba have hand in one of the goals? I thought he assisted.

There was also a point during the game, when Pogba took the ball from our defence and pushed forward, passed several CP players. The only way he was stopped was by a CP player fouling him. We got a free kick in any case.

What I'm trying to say is that when we did turn up, the entire team united and put in a performance that we haven't seen since 2013 (ie. winning a game from 2-0 down).

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sadly, this is what I notice more and more. Look at the highlights if their 1st goal. If he hustled he could have marked Townsend. I am huge Pogba fan, but these type of mistakes are more bothersome than a wayward pass. I know he will get it together but I cannot blame Jose for being pissed off at him right now. One thing I see when watching Barca, Bayern, Real, and sadly City....those players run their hearts out for the most part. I don't think many managers would be happy with Pogba's play right now.
Exactly. I did think he was at fault for the first goal, but I didn't think it was too criminal. Just a slight lapse in concentration, which wouldn't have mattered if Lindelof had done his job properly.

The bit near the end though. He could see what was going to happen and even after he'd been beaten to the ball could have easily got himself between the Palace player and our goal. He just for whatever reason, decided not to.

The City point you touched on is the one I've made before with him. People have said pep would have him playing better, but if he was at City he just wouldn't be playing at all if he didn't cut this kind of shite out. The top teams just don't have room for luxury players. Yesterday the work rate was generally there and he was far from awful in his over all play, but then he lets himself down with silly moments which are so easy to avoid.

AshRK

Sanchez is still settling in and will come good eventually. The fact that he never gives up is a good sign. Also, the fact that we are not dependant on him will make him want to perform even better. He is no longer a big fish in a small pond like he was at arsenal.

As for pogba, people have been too critical about him. Yes I would like him to get some goals and assists in every second match but his ball control and distribution is magnificent. He is a top player who just needs some luck with some shot going in like matic yesterday. Top talent who is suffering from a slight dip in form.

idmanager

They have no instructions nor do they have a system in which to play.

Everything is completely individualistic and off the cuff. That said, they still could be a lot more competent in the basics but the blame is with the tactics/coaching for me.
Couldn't agree more. While the rest of our team is well drilled with a proper shape, the attack seems to be a play as the game goes pool of randomness.

Its no wonder our two most creative players are out of ideas.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

People keep banging on about how many times he lost the ball, but I prefer somebody who tries something different than someone who just has great passing figures because they pass it back and forth with their defenders all day.

ZenMaster Coltrane

The people who cannot see the ineptitude that emanates from this Mourinho attacking structure are the same group who think this collection of players would win the league this season with Fergie at the helm. The squad isn't good enough (just look at how CB liabilities require both CMFs to drop and take the ball 15 yards deeper than they should b/c the CBs cannot play a 10+ yd forward pass) and the attacking system is shambolic. It really took that first half for Mourinho to see that they had no width?? He doesn't know his players' tendencies?

With regards to Pogba, Conte and Allegri unlocked the key on how to get much higher levels out of him. I don't think one, two or three more years under Mourinho is going to spur his development. And he doesn't seem like someone that can perform at his highest levels when he feels miserable. This is down to player management and I think this player manager pairing is just not meant to be.

Smalling should have shown Benteke to the outside on the 1st goal. The actual defenders are continuously failing. You are then left with MFs facing increasing scrutiny b/c defenders' positioning is poor. That sequence would have been snuffed out by a quality CB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smores

This myth again. What attacking philosophy have Arsenal got? They’re worse in every area of the pitch than Utd are.
Don't feed the sheep. It's hillarious how many of them picked up the psuedobabble "playing like individuals" and "no coaching" mantras and parrot it in every thread.

There's plenty of patterns to our play, you know what most players in our team are going to do (right or wrong) and you can see the relationships forming.

Still "we need to coach attacking patterns" sounds like something clever.

JK-27

Sanchez gave the ball away 19 times in the first half. He needs to stop dropping deep to play the playmaking role and focus on finishing attacks in the final third with his excellent goal/assist tally.
Quoting a stat doesn't tell the true story. If you were at the match you would have seen how hard Sanchez was trying to make something happen, trying the difficult pass to get Lukaku in, trying to break down a Palace defensive and midfield line playing deep. He kept coming back in to make something happen, because Pogba was playing shite.

It was clear to see that Pogba's mental focus is not right. In the first half he was playing balls to people who simply weren't there. Then trying to do too much himself, take on too many players and lose the ball.

Re-watch the game, you will Sanchez and Lukaku having a go at Pogba, telling him to sort it out. You will also see Sanchez urging players to push up, press, use their heads. Pogba wasn't doing any of that. Sanchez was more of leader last night that Pogba was.

Maybe that's why Pogba's attitude has dropped because he's seen a new guy come in and act like a leader and feels threatened by that?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Quoting a stat doesn't tell the true story. If you were at the match you would have seen how hard Sanchez was trying to make something happen, trying the difficult pass to get Lukaku in, trying to break down a Palace defensive and midfield line playing deep. He kept coming back in to make something happen, because Pogba was playing shite.

It was clear to see that Pogba's mental focus is not right. In the first half he was playing balls to people who simply weren't there. Then trying to do too much himself, take on too many players and lose the ball.

Re-watch the game, you will Sanchez and Lukaku having a go at Pogba, telling him to sort it out. You will also see Sanchez urging players to push up, press, use their heads. Pogba wasn't doing any of that. Sanchez was more of leader last night that Pogba was.

Maybe that's why Pogba's attitude has dropped because he's seen a new guy come in and act like a leader and feels threatened by that?
Call a spade a spade. They were both shite, kept running down blind alleys, sloppy passing, getting in each others' way. Who cares if one ran a bit more or a bit less, shite is shite. They need to combine their brains with their immense talent and find a way to make it work.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Yup, I'm with you on this one. Sanchez has incredible work rate and his low level is still useful for the team.

Pogba, however, has been nothing short of frustrating to watch week in and week out lately.
Agreed, Sanchez busts his ass out there, he's simply not playing well at the moment, but his effort and energy is still useful. Pogba on the other hand, good grief, at first I just chalked it up to his languid style and long strides, but I'm done giving him a pass because it's painfully obvious that he takes breaks when things are not going his way, which IMO, should be incentive to work even harder. Such a frustrating player to root for.