Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Magical Manchester United

I felt an odd sense of calm after Sunday. As though the nadir for the season has now been hit and things could just get better from here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No...but the fan base is.
I've been a lifelong fan but joined Redcafe after Ole's interim appointment since it was so fun having a Norwegian as manager of the club, if only for a little bit.

My passion for the club is the same as always, and always will be. But a lot of the online conversation and opinion is depressing.

The most depressing thing is seeing our own fans and their characteristics of both manager and players. I've become a bit disillusioned with the fact that this forums main purpose right now is infighting.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I've been a lifelong fan but joined Redcafe after Ole's interim appointment since it was so fun having a Norwegian as manager of the club, if only for a little bit.

My passion for the club is the same as always, and always will be. But a lot of the online conversation and opinion is depressing.

The most depressing thing is seeing our own fans and their characteristics of both manager and players. I've become a bit disillusioned with the fact that this forums main purpose right now is infighting.
Nailed it!

Partridge

I find myself furious with the manager and the players. Ole has clearly lost his way, and tactically, he is rubbish. The players were equally useless, and the standard of football played was incredibly poor. don't know about everyone else, but i am sick of these random inconsistant matches where we turn up vs next game when we don't. Started to become like this towards the end of fergies time, and it has just gotten worse. too annoyed to think about it any further, tbh.

Foxbatt

It makes me more depressed because SAF cannot see the woods because of the trees. He was among the best as a manager but has fecked up a lot of things. The Moyes debacle and now according to most reports he was the one who convinced The Glazers to keep Ole as a manager and to give him more chances. this is extremely depressing.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It makes me more depressed because SAF cannot see the woods because of the trees. He was among the best as a manager but has fecked up a lot of things. The Moyes debacle and now according to most reports he was the one who convinced The Glazers to keep Ole as a manager and to give him more chances. this is extremely depressing.
I’m not sure Ferguson has this much clout with billionaires who are renowned for being ruthless when they need to. Maybe his opinion re Moyes had some sway but if it did, surely they’d put less weight on his views this time?

I also don’t know how the media allegedly know this. It’s one thing having a ‘source’ on minor matters but if Ferguson and some Directors/Glazers had a chat, that’s saying one of them leaked it? Feels like the media are yet again using us for clickbait and 2+2=7.

Red Daz

Back in my teens and twenty’s I’d stew on a defeat for days , it would affect me way more than it should, but I’m in my 40,s now so I find it easy to switch off after the final whistle, Sunday wasn’t a surprise, it’s been coming , so I was quite calm watching it, even getting battered on WhatsApp from all the scousers I know didn’t have an effect.
I still care, failure is becoming the norm unfortunately

Will Singh

Blood pressure is shot through the roof and now on meds to control it. The old days we had bad days but was easier to get away from it all but now with phones and social media it’s a constant battle especially in recent years after SAF retired. Took the Mrs shopping today to get away from it and what a expensive day that turned out to be. This club has cost me an arm and a leg.,..!

distant_red

I do agree that we have a very very negative fanbase, but I don't blame us, this club is actually not going well for a number of years, people are looking at relegation as a turning point.

I aint gonna say depressed because I've suffered from depression before and is nothing comparable in this case, but I do have a lot of shitty day by day moments thinking about United (which is something I do A LOT every day). Watching the team play also gives me bad moments sometimes. But all in all I love the club and I enjoy a lot every good bit of it
Totally agree. If clinical depression was the same as what I feel when the club is going through a bad patch, then depression would be a million times easier to deal with.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
United can never make me feel depressed. Embarrassed a little but not depressed. Especially these days that I'm older. When I was younger, it used to affect me more.

sp_107

Credit to Ole he has brought that enthusisam back during the heights of last year pandameic time, LVG/Jose football was more depressing han Ole to be honest.

The real low feeling point is we are still entertaining players like Pogba as I am hearing Baily/Pogba started dressing room revolt just because they have their own personal grudge against Ole...That is really depressing

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Back in my teens and twenty’s I’d stew on a defeat for days , it would affect me way more than it should, but I’m in my 40,s now so I find it easy to switch off after the final whistle, Sunday wasn’t a surprise, it’s been coming , so I was quite calm watching it, even getting battered on WhatsApp from all the scousers I know didn’t have an effect.
I still care, failure is becoming the norm unfortunately
this is me too

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Yes. My life is completely fecked up and it seems to be in direct proportion to how United perform. This is mostly coincidental because of other factors, but it sure doesn't fecking help ! :lol:

predator

Youth NITK
Nah. I'm intrigued to see how everything pans out. Winning is great and I've seen a fair bit of it as a 27 year old united fan but football is cyclical in my opinion. I can see Liverpool going off the rails completely when klopp leaves for instance. I can see City falling off a bit when pep goes. These things come and go. I can us being well run and well managed once again.

I'm just patient and will always support the club in the good and bad times. It's interesting for me.

I can see completely why some are going mental, getting upset but one thing I will never agree with is abuse directed towards our players, manager or staff.

FatTails

Not depressed, but football used to be a fun escape from other more serious things in life.

It’s become really annoying recently and definitely not an escape. I get excited by teams like Lille overachieving last season, Villarreal beating Arsenal (if only I knew they’d beat us eventually!), or watching Dortmund year in year out playing good football (most years!) while constantly losing their best players. I enjoyed the Euros, especially Spain’s and Denmark’s runs to the semis.

United, and generally the premier league, are becoming more annoying than enjoyable. Between the ridiculous transfer fees and all its other excesses, the years of mismanagement at United, and recently Newcastle, it’s becoming hard to relate to it. I’ve been watching more and more BL and while the defending is hilarious at times, I enjoy it.

This forum helps at times, and makes things worse at other times. My advise is that if you feel that football is getting you down, watch the games, but pull away from the forum and all the other media around football.

Acole9

Outstanding
Feels like a punishment watching our matches at the moment.

arthurka

Not as much as these fecking Liverpool fans. They are bloody doing my head in, last couple of days have been terrible. But all in all I have accepted the notion that I have no choice and no part to play in the grand scheme of things so I try to take things as they come with a very very different perspective to what I did before.
Love Utd, hate the Glazers.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Not as much as these fecking Liverpool fans. They are bloody doing my head in, last couple of days have been terrible. But all in all I have accepted the notion that I have no choice and no part to play in the grand scheme of things so I try to take things as they come with a very very different perspective to what I did before.
Love Utd, hate the Glazers.
I can relate. That's the worst part. Smug feckers. I hope Brighton hammers them on Saturday. That won't change how shit we are but it'll bring some satisfaction.

Winrar

Honestly don't know how I would feel if I had liverpool supporters bantering over the 0-5.

Nothing more I can say other than "yeah we were shit" really... don't really have much in me to be wound up about.

Jibbs

I feel like the club I adore and grew up supporting for almost 3 decades now, is being held hostage by same people who build it from ground up. And it is truly depressing.

MUFC OK

More angry about the situation than anything else. Where we are heading is depressing considering everything is falling apart in the face of it. The failure to sack him after a host of sackable offences, especially Sunday is just insult to injury.

The apathy most are expressing is a sign we’ve hit a new low.

Bondi77

No...but the fan base is.
True,
When I first came on here I used to read a decent portion of each thread but now there are multiple ones that basically cover the same subject in slagging off people at the club I hardly bother.

BaneIsPain

Not depressed just angry. Anyone with a brain can see the cycle repeated over and over again.

Godfather

At the moment they are giving me good laughs again. Was the same under Moyes. We are so bad it's funny. On and off the pitch.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Both our current horrendous form and tactically naïve manager have made me appreciate well drilled teams more.

In a strange way I now have a heightened interest in tactical formations and different styles of play in football in general (Tifo youtube videos are a great resource) - I guess it serves as a useful distraction from our failures.

Real Name

I join in on the jokes I receive from friends. It isn't a lot and in this kind of times I'm thankful I'm not surrounded by rival fans but some fun is being made and if I werent making fun of the whole situation I'd cry.

Joking. Of course I wouldn't cry, I'm too old for football to affect me like it used to but the situation in and around the club sure is depressing. So what to do then to joke yourself about it.

Strelok

this forums main purpose right now is infighting.
You'd basically say the same about any forum, any social media platform I think.

For the OP's question. Of course no atm. I was for a while when we had Jose because everything about the club was so, so toxic and unbearable. The football, the results, the players, Jose and his fanboies. We had no direction, no one had an idea what's next. It was like there's no hope at all for us. Many said regardless of who's the next manager we're damned anyway, none and nothing would make us great again.

Now at least we have a really good squad, minus some minor issues. But if we can get a good manager in things gonna be fine again soon I believe.

BigRon1985

Nothing like a bit of gallows humour in desperate times to keep you sane I say......

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This year has been a bit of a shitter as I had genuine hopes of (some limited) success, plus nostalgia at Ronnie’s return. It was mildly depressing to watch it all fall apart so easily but feck it, it’s football, if it’s really affecting your mental health you need to reassess your priorities

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If watching / following football is making you depressed, you're placing far too much importance on it and need to loosen your grip a little. I'm not saying football is without importance, it's an escape and entertainment, a story and carries a never ending narrative but really, it shouldn't make anyone depressed in isolation. It's little more than a competitive soap opera at heart. I would imagine if you feel like football is making you depressed, there are other things at play.

It's just football.

Handsome Devil

No, I am in a state of utter bliss, akin to how a lemming feels when it hits the bottom of the cliff, even ignoring the Norwegian Puffin at the top of the cliff squawking "Fantasteek, amazing!"

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not depressed, just despondent. The club is in shambles, it seems like the upper management team have no idea what they are doing and I simply don't trust them to get things right. Right now there is just too much negativity with United, the last few days have been painful and I find i'm spending too much time here reading Ole out posts. That needs to stop today and I think a break from everything related to United is what I need.

Pronewbie

Peep

Don't worry, this board has a rich history of infighting and strife. It's much better these days and it can only improve from here..