Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Giggs' right foot

Been going through depressing changes, thoughts and tasks for most of 2020 and all of 2021, without it having anything to do with football.

Now, United clearly aren’t brightening the mood, but I don’t believe football should/could make you depressed on its own. It might feel that way, but I’m quite sure the roots to depression are deeper than a football club can ever reach.

In regards to United I’m completely numb. There’s no point. We don’t have a system or a midfield. It is what it is. We’ll lose more than ten games in the league this season - no point in being surprised or agitated.

BigRon1985

The thought that Liverpool and City deliberately kept the score down in order for him to keep his job is seriously messing with my head..... :(

Offsideagain

No, I watched United during the 1970’s when another former player trashed the club, Wilf McGuinness. We also got relegated and won an FA Cup but not in the same year. Angry, yes with the dithering, unprofessional board at this former great club. Gone right down the Nick since David Gill left.

croadyman

The thought that Liverpool and City deliberately kept the score down in order for him to keep his job is seriously messing with my head..... :(
Yeah that looks to be the case when talking about City but scousers possibly down to the injury risk

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I've moved past the stage of being depressed over us, i'm indifferent to it now.

No point staying up till 3am in the morning to watch our weekly shit fest.

Ldn FanBoy

Depressed is a bit strong. It's upsetting to see the direction where we are going. But, can't always have it our way. We've been blessed with years or success and global recgonition! This is a culture shock to see other teams performing and achieivng more than us. It#s easy to point fingers but reality is others have money and ambition that meet and exceed ours. We won't see us returning to the 'norm' of total domination again.

Maniron

In football, as in life everything changes. OGS will either turn it around or be sacked before Christmas. Players with poor attitudes and those not cutting it will be replaced. Even the Glazers will bale out at some point. All those things that are frustrating you now will fade over time and be replaced with (most likely) other frustrations or hopefully more of the fantastic highs this club has provided us with over the years

Given that it is almost impossible for most fans to switch allegiance, if it is making you depressed, switch of for a while. Better still, accept what's in front of you, despite what Shankly said, it really is just a game

yipthatman

To answer the O.P. In a word, yes. It's an incompetent boys club getting high on nostalgia when it should be behaving like an elite sports club. It's depressing because we are so much better than this, potentially. I think the acceptable mediocrity starts right at the top and filters all the way down to the players.

croadyman

Totally numb to it all really, it's reached that point, well it reached that point ages ago to be honest.
Yeah we are utterly pathetic from top to bottom and if we lose games now so what he's going nowhere anyway

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah we are utterly pathetic from top to bottom and if we lose games now so what he's going nowhere anyway
I mean....no. I still want us to win, because thats all I've ever known my entire life, I can't just make that switch. I'm not like you at all. But I won't be smashing plates and getting that affected by it while Ole etc. are still in charge, zero point.

croadyman

I mean....no. I still want us to win, because thats all I've ever known my entire life, I can't just make that switch. I'm not like you at all. But I won't be smashing plates and getting that affected by it while Ole etc. are still in charge, zero point.
I hate saying stuff like this but unfortunately that's what these yankee leeching scumbags have done to me

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The club situation is dire but it’s the toxicity surrounding it, by the fans, which is making me depressed

BorisManUtd

No. That 1-6 loss to Spurs last year was hard to swallow and made me feel horrible but ever since decided not to care that much, I watch the games regularly but don't invest myself to the point that my mood depends on United's results. Would be nice if they do better than they are atm but if not, fine. There's more important things in life than football.

Wayne's World

Nope couldn't give a shite anymore about the club to be honest, 4-5 years ago I wouldn't miss a minute of any game and tried to get over to Old Trafford as much as I could but now, the club doesn't care and it isn't ran as a football club anymore so why should I care?

If anything, going on business trips to Germany and seeing St.Pauli in the 2nd German division live in the past couple of years probably made me feel much more like a fan again then watching and concentrating on United as much..

Heavily frustrating and I hope it does change in the future but now, no real interest in the club until the managers goes and the owners/Woodward goes.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not depressed but they've made me not care anymore.

In previous seasons losing 5 to Liverpool and City coming to OT and basically having a training match would've sent me spiralling but now I just don't care.

Take our game vs Watford coming up, win lose draw I couldn't give a damn.

Djemba-Djemba

Not depressed but they've made me not care anymore.

In previous seasons losing 5 to Liverpool and City coming to OT and basically having a training match would've sent me spiralling but now I just don't care.

Take our game vs Watford coming up, win lose draw I couldn't give a damn.
Yeah it's apathy.

I don't even want to think about Utd at the minute. I want to ignore we exist.

Red00012

Been to 6 games this season and yet to see a win so yes for me

Bertie 2 Hats

Luckily i have an understanding GP.. I explained to him the root cause of my depression was down to the terrible state of United from top to bottom, on and off the pitch with no light at the end of the tunnel.. He has prescribed me a course of anti-depressants, Mirtazapine, which he says will also help me with my anxiety and insomnia.

SAFMUTD

Another day, another morning I wake up expecting to see Ole sacked. Another disappointment.

Mr. Ant

Not depressed but they make don't care anymore about this team and this season which I think is even worse. Last time I felt like this was during Jose's last season. Then Ole came and I started to care about this team again.

It's a shame it came to this. I was really hopeful Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho would cover Ole's deficiencies as a manager and we would finally win something. But those signings only lifted the expectations and truly uncovered the truth that we need a proper coaching staff to make this team functional.

Kostov

I learned to ignore most about United nowadays which sometimes makes me sad, but too much negativity. Stopped buying any Manchester United merch and unfollowed them on social media.

kps88

I don't think United or football would ever cause me to be depressed but I do feel a good result/run of form can help make me feel better. It feels good to have something to look forward to every weekend if the team is doing well.

ExoduS

Yeah, looking forward to Manchester United games was awesome way to grow up but now I'm trying to find an excuse to avoid watching the game. Brutal. It has been like that for ever since Sir Alex left. There was a glimpse of hope her and there that things are getting better but hope would die too fast.

I'm not depressed but it sucks when your Saturday morning (I'm in USA) starts with United losing and playing like sh1t.

I'm no glory hunter. If we had average players that try I think I would be happier. We have world class squad that is disjointed.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The worse thing is, I have absolutely no faith in the board's ability to pick a proper replacement. I'm willing to bet that they're still holding out for Poch to be available.

Water Melon

Not depressed, but losing interest. The owners do not care about the trophies as long as the market value is growing, the CEO and his team are far from being top experts in their jobs, the manager is clueless. Our main rivals are doing much better, whereas smaller teams are catching up while having spent much less.

Dembeza

I really do wonder how we come across the players who have ambition.

We had finally gotten to a point that players like Varane, Sancho wanted to join us, and we are messing up big time. In the summer I would given us a very chance of landing Halaand next season but all the good work has been undone.

It really is frustrating

Laurencio

More like impatient. Impatient for that damn DM signing, impatient for the team to win matches convincingly, impatient for a world class team to actually perform like one, impatient for Pogba to perform, impatient for brilliant youth players getting their chances and impatient for the club to act like a top club and start catching up to City and Liverpool in all areas....

Just.. impatient.

Gordon Godot

Frustrated, not depressed.
I would say apathy. I used to look forward to our games, now they fill me with dread. I am more depressed about the future of the club, the grotesque mismanagement continues now. Like deer caught in the headlights. Who woudl have thought the Molde manager, who got Cardiff relegated, would not be up to managing one of the top 3 clubs in the world. Amazing really, that it seems to involve more than being nice to the receptionist and tea lady and smiling a lot. Seems you actually need to be tactically astute, with a clear vision of what you want the team to do and how to improve players. Rather than playing football manager in real life with millions but no actual idea. And still the top fans think that by supporting Ole we are somehow not one of 'those' clubs, the nasty ones that sack managers and then win trophies.

Bogga

I'd say I've become more apathetic/indifferent over the years... used to be so pissed when the opposition scored. Nowadays I just shrug my shoulders

wevewonitall

i am gutted, we are so sh1te its untrue considering the millions of millions of pounds spent, the buys have been poor and we will never offload these players who are now set up for life, forever, complete madness!

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
No, and no sport ever will. If you’re getting that low it’s not the football that’s causing it— it’s not having more in your life besides football.

There are a hell of a lot of people on this planet that *think* they’re depressed, that really just need to start taking better care of themselves.

croadyman

It's stomach wrenching to witness us having such a cowardly stance to appointing someone who wants to do things their way and seemingly no plans to replace someone way out his depth who has been hung out to dry just to protect their asses

Last edited:

Red00012

What’s worse than depression? That’s what I’ll be if we get Rodgers

reddevilz007

Depressed is a bit strong. It's upsetting to see the direction where we are going. But, can't always have it our way. We've been blessed with years or success and global recgonition! This is a culture shock to see other teams performing and achieivng more than us. It#s easy to point fingers but reality is others have money and ambition that meet and exceed ours. We won't see us returning to the 'norm' of total domination again.
We’ve spent more than Liverpool and Bayern Munich, yet we are light years away from them. So no, it’s the money. It’s our incompetence to make something out of it.