Are Utd Making You Depressed?

SAFMUTD

Wont lie, yesterdays defeat but mostly performance took a hit on me. I dont think I've feelt this depressed about ManUtd in my life, its a feeling of almost giving up, close to apathy. Normally with the window open I would be clicking and clicking the thread to read about the rumors who's comming whos going, excited about it but I just dont feel like it. I couldnt care less who we bring or who leaves.

They say hope its what kills you and precisely thats whats happening with me, I had huge expectetions with the arrival of Sancho, Cristiano and Varane we were going back to having a worldclass squad again along with Bruno and Shaw we were amongst the elite clubs squad wise. Unfortunately we never translated it onto performances. It all went south with Ole's humilliations, in both derbys and against Watford, I was convinced he was the main problem the squad was way too good to be performing that bad. Getting a proper manager would solve it and we'll be back on track, then Ole was fired and Rangnick arrived I was over the moon. The incomeptence was over the father of gegenpress was here we've taken the revolutionary approach for a change and we'll finally see a competitive team again.

Now after 1 month of performances I'm conviced the club is rotten, change the players and the manager to another club and results would be different, theres something about this club that simply wont allow us back to glory.

Its a feeling of resignation, hopefully it will go away but thats just how Im feeling about the club at the moment.

LoneStar

The feeling is bad when it comes to United, but it's getting better cause I don't think there is any hope for the season anyway. All about getting the players match fit and getting rid of half these overpaid wankers by next season.

At least F1 has been kind to me and Max won the championship. That gives me enough joy to carry through, from a sports perspective (I follow the IPL too, but RCB is never winning it, so don't expect anything there).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's worse actually. I barely care nowadays. The players are paid millions and don't, so why should I?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wont lie, yesterdays defeat but mostly performance took a hit on me. I dont think I've feelt this depressed about ManUtd in my life, its a feeling of almost giving up, close to apathy. Normally with the window open I would be clicking and clicking the thread to read about the rumors who's comming whos going, excited about it but I just dont feel like it. I couldnt care less who we bring or who leaves.

They say hope its what kills you and precisely thats whats happening with me, I had huge expectetions with the arrival of Sancho, Cristiano and Varane we were going back to having a worldclass squad again along with Bruno and Shaw we were amongst the elite clubs squad wise. Unfortunately we never translated it onto performances. It all went south with Ole's humilliations, in both derbys and against Watford, I was convinced he was the main problem the squad was way too good to be performing that bad. Getting a proper manager would solve it and we'll be back on track, then Ole was fired and Rangnick arrived I was over the moon. The incomeptence was over the father of gegenpress was here we've taken the revolutionary approach for a change and we'll finally see a competitive team again.

Now after 1 month of performances I'm conviced the club is rotten, change the players and the manager to another club and results would be different, theres something about this club that simply wont allow us back to glory.

Its a feeling of resignation, hopefully it will go away but thats just how Im feeling about the club at the moment.
United becomes like the serial cheating partner….always telling you they can change but they never do, and it’s always a massive disappointment when you get let down again

.Phil1968

Up to 10 minutes after I get really annoyed then think feck em.
This season I've started watching my local non league side, in wales so they're not playing at the moment, but after 40 odd years of being a one club man I have another team to worry about and to be honest these lads give everything for their shirt unlike our precious mercenaries.

AndySmith1990

United nor football will ever depress me. If I ever found it that much of an unpleasant experience I'd not waste my time with it. It's supposed to be entertainment, it's not some cult that you must follow no matter what.

Perhaps some of you would be better off not supporting any team if it's affecting your mental health. I'm not being trying to be a dick by saying that, I mean it. I know it's a strange concept in football, but I'm neutral when watching any other sport and it's great as I can enjoy the drama, without giving a shit who wins. Tennis, snooker, F1. Love them all and enjoy them no matter who wins and its great.

Last edited:

AshRK

I am trying to get emotionally detached with the club. I try to enjoy football in general but United football has been a chore. Football works in a cycle hopefully we start dominating soon. But right now I feel we all should be content to see us as a top 4-6 club.

Artimities

Sometimes I think we have too much talent for our own good. It sounds silly, but it feels that way. We have iconic names and players that can change the game in an instant, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency or cohesiveness.
Maybe we would be better with lesser known talent mixed in. Guys that just do their job and don't try to do more than that. Guys that will give 150% effort playing instead of "made" players that maybe are not trying as hard.
We have too much dead weight on this team. I love Mata, and Lindgard.. .but why are they here? I think we have set a mentality at this club of complacency. Not by our board at the moment but, currently by our players. I watch these lesser teams give more effort than better players consistently and that is a problem. Then we go on Social Media and apologize. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, right fellas?
Just doesn't feel like a cohesive unit. We are vulnerable to criticism at this point due to our form and lack of trophies, so players spitting out anything less than 100% team talk should not be here.
Clean out the dressing room and set a standard. That would be my starting point.
I hate loosing, and it hurts, but sports are sports. This ship will right itself, just need to ride it out.

MUFC OK

No, I'm resigned to mediocrity. Until we get someone who is genuinely one of the top 4/5 managers in the world, and invest in their vision we wont be winning a PL/CL anyway. Still think we have to go for Ten Hag in the summer and give him the keys, he might be able to so summin given 4/5 years.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I wonder if our players feel any sense of shame going back to their multi-million dollar lives each day knowing just how poor they’ve been on the pitch. Surely a sense of deep-seated guilt creeps in at some point?

I can’t quite recall any other instance where a team of superstars have collectively played like a Sunday league outfit. It’s almost as if they seem intent on making a parody of themselves.

SirAF

Ageist
Of course not, it’s annoying for 90 minutes, and a little while after. Then I go about my day.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
United getting destroyed in the press. Even the people who hate United have turned against the players and are saying they don't deserve to play for the club. Says a lot.

CloneMC16

I said no before when I responded to this thread, but I can't lie. It has been getting to me a lot more. I talk about United fairly frequently with my sister's fiancé, and he's pretty much stopped watching our games. It just makes him angry and there is no enjoyment. I can't say I blame him. I get little to no enjoyment out of watching us play. I still watch, just hoping that we will see something better.

I did fully believe that Ole and the coaches were the main issue. Bringing in a manager that most people consider to be an extremely intelligent tactician would see some kind of improvement. There is zero difference. Well, the only difference is this shit formation he's brought with him. It doesn't suit us.

I've come to the conclusion that these players aren't as good as I thought they were. I thought we would put in a decent challenge for the title, but we're nowhere near it. It is depressing to think that we will have to go through another rebuild. I thought we were passed that. I'm also concerned that top class managers won't want to take on this job. Even if it's not your fault, failure here could destroy your reputation.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
When I was a kid I was genuinely sad when we were losing, and that was quite a bit. I am told there were tears at 3-2 down in the cup final in 1990, which I dispute because I was only enough not to be a little whingey fecker. Now I just tut and frown a bit more than usual, and know all my podcast listening will be unbearable as people rightly tear us apart. Years ago, while we were winning the bitter press was a thing to savour.

Utd Clem

I already am depressed, and the current state is the same as my daily depression. Right now it feels like a group of guys getting to do what I loved to do at school, being paid multiples of my yearly salary per week not to care.

MUFC OK

United getting destroyed in the press. Even the people who hate United have turned against the players and are saying they don't deserve to play for the club. Says a lot.
Like Paul Merson, who says we should sell our best players whilst praising Mctominay? That would seal the mediocrity alright. I'm sure he'd love that.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Supporting Utd is great.

Birmingham in a few weeks, Madrid in a few months. Great trips.

Wolves at home was a bit of a slog I won't lie but you take the rough with the smooth.

It's just supporting a football team.

RomfordRed75

Not depressed, but yesterday made me really really angry.
I took my 13 year old daughter to her first ever game at Old Trafford. We've had tickets for months and she's been excited for weeks and weeks leading up to the game and seeing the likes of Ronaldo, Cavani and Bruno live.
You should always remember your first game, for me its something really really special (I'll never forget mine a 2-1 FA Cup 5th round defeat at Highbury with McClair missing a last minute penalty), but I hope to god she forgets it as quickly as possible.
Firstly we wait with the fans to see the team get to the ground. We waited 45 minutes and I know some fans had waited well over an hour. The coaches turn up and EVERY player bar McTominay completely ignored the fans when they cheered and called out their names as the went from the coach into the ground...not even a wave. Disgraceful in my eyes.
The less said about the game the better but listening Shaws post game interview and trying to explain to my daughter why these players don't care, aren't motivated, and are split in the dressing room whilst earning hundreds of thousands a week, whilst the match going fans still spend hard earned money week after week watching the "team" was really hard to do.
I lost a lot of love for football, Manchester United and that squad yesterday.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
Yes :(

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If anyone feels this way, I think you should really disconnect a bit with football. There are far more important things than to let poor performances from some imbeciles impact your real day-to-day behaviour. Imagine being a Sunderland fan.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not depressed, but yesterday made me really really angry.
I took my 13 year old daughter to her first ever game at Old Trafford. We've had tickets for months and she's been excited for weeks and weeks leading up to the game and seeing the likes of Ronaldo, Cavani and Bruno live.
You should always remember your first game, for me its something really really special (I'll never forget mine a 2-1 FA Cup 5th round defeat at Highbury with McClair missing a last minute penalty), but I hope to god she forgets it as quickly as possible.
Firstly we wait with the fans to see the team get to the ground. We waited 45 minutes and I know some fans had waited well over an hour. The coaches turn up and EVERY player bar McTominay completely ignored the fans when they cheered and called out their names as the went from the coach into the ground...not even a wave. Disgraceful in my eyes.
The less said about the game the better but listening Shaws post game interview and trying to explain to my daughter why these players don't care, aren't motivated, and are split in the dressing room whilst earning hundreds of thousands a week, whilst the match going fans still spend hard earned money week after week watching the "team" was really hard to do.
I lost a lot of love for football, Manchester United and that squad yesterday.
She will have had a great day mate. My first game was getting spanked by Arsenal. I fecking loved it.

It's the whole experience that makes it. Luckily my Dad wasn't a massive slapped arse about it :lol:

Jericholyte2

Yes, watching United does make me depressed. I've had a 20yr history with depression and, with the pressures of building a home, going through an Open University course and IVF during the pandemic, I have found my outlets / hobbies really dwindle to movies, videogames and trips to the driving range, although even that gets me incredibly frustrated as my competitiveness breaks through and I often end up berating myself for shanking drives.

United used to be a good outlet to cheer on at the weekends and was often a reliable release for entertainment, not necessarily the wins. But now I actually dread watching the matches, seeing the body language of millionaire player who, for whatever reason, don't look like they want to be there and look like they don't want to put in the effort. I appreciate people who are able to 'just switch off' the football but for people like me it really isn't helpful. I tried under Jose to disconnect and not watch, but I lasted about 3 games as I felt 'dirty' not watching my team.

But yeah, recently, watching United often puts me in a spiral, especially on the occasions when I'm already having an off day.

UnitedFire

I've been generally depressed with work stress and at times Man Utd have made things worse or at the very least not made them better like I would hope for.

However, this season has become an exception. We are so abjectly piss poor and Man City are so good that I'm struggling to find a point in caring any more. Starting to even think about what other sports might interest me and some of my friends are similarly feeling the same.

The last Champions League semis and final were what really killed it for me. 3 our of the 4 teams with no history outside of a sizeable set of cheques from ultra rich investors in the last 20 years. The 4th in Madrid have plenty of history, but even they have had many years in the past with suggestions of state investment so not actually much different and their galactico past makes them not unlike these other 3.

So on one hand money is dictating the outcome of football with soul appearing lost and on the other you have plenty of organically generated money from Man Utd that has somehow resulted in a bunch of mercenary useless w@#kers who are incredibly hard to care about.

Even Ronaldo is frustrating me. I was so excited to see him return, but his body language is getting on my nerves. Too much moaning and not enough making a difference. He has bossed the Champions League, but outside of that it feels like we've lost a lot of our team play to cater for Ronaldo.

I think much of this is coincidence in the sense we've been progressively getting worse so in reality I don't think Ronaldo is the problem or at least not too much of one, but he hasn't been the solution I hoped for either, albeit even my expectations were tapered. I've been saying for a while if we don't invest in midfield we'll fail and oh guess what we are, but plenty of fans have also got this!

Our midfield is arguably the worst in the Prem and yet modern football is probably 90% dictated from midfield. City are the best example of this. They don't even need a striker!

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Watching Jones play again was the happiest I’ve been since Ronaldo’s debut.
The rest is utter depression

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I definitely don’t engage in discussions/posts in between matches at the moment - not as much as I used to anyway.

I watch the games, but it’s just the same issues over and over again. I could post something to react to our result to Wolves, but it could be the exact same post I’d post a year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 4 years ago etc.

No style. Wasting hours of my life watching United at the moment. Does it stop be from watching them every week? No. But I’ve learned to appreciate my health and stress levels by just tuning away from United in between games.

mancsarered

I am more down watching the club right now than season since Fergie. In the past, the lack of vision/tactics at times from the managers drove me crazy, but now, it's completely on the players. Seeing an entire squad of players with zero desire to win or shame when they continuously fail is heartbreaking. I struggle to watch it.

croadyman

I've been generally depressed with work stress and at times Man Utd have made things worse or at the very least not made them better like I would hope for.

However, this season has become an exception. We are so abjectly piss poor and Man City are so good that I'm struggling to find a point in caring any more. Starting to even think about what other sports might interest me and some of my friends are similarly feeling the same.

The last Champions League semis and final were what really killed it for me. 3 our of the 4 teams with no history outside of a sizeable set of cheques from ultra rich investors in the last 20 years. The 4th in Madrid have plenty of history, but even they have had many years in the past with suggestions of state investment so not actually much different and their galactico past makes them not unlike these other 3.

So on one hand money is dictating the outcome of football with soul appearing lost and on the other you have plenty of organically generated money from Man Utd that has somehow resulted in a bunch of mercenary useless w@#kers who are incredibly hard to care about.

Even Ronaldo is frustrating me. I was so excited to see him return, but his body language is getting on my nerves. Too much moaning and not enough making a difference. He has bossed the Champions League, but outside of that it feels like we've lost a lot of our team play to cater for Ronaldo.

I think much of this is coincidence in the sense we've been progressively getting worse so in reality I don't think Ronaldo is the problem or at least not too much of one, but he hasn't been the solution I hoped for either, albeit even my expectations were tapered. I've been saying for a while if we don't invest in midfield we'll fail and oh guess what we are, but plenty of fans have also got this!

Our midfield is arguably the worst in the Prem and yet modern football is probably 90% dictated from midfield. City are the best example of this. They don't even need a striker!
Yeah I would say it's definitely the worst midfield in the Premier league, however I am more sick to death of them than actually depressed. Now those Yankee leech scumbags are a different story totally who do make me more fed up.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Well, I've come to the place where I literally laughed when I saw the Wolves result (was working on my car during the game).

I've just concluded that we are a top 6 club that will have some years closer to the top than others. With the power of City, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I find enjoyment in the smaller successes of winning a rivalry game or European tie, etc. I also find a certain pleasure in watching the off-field drama that is the current Manchester United.

It probably helps that American sports rarely have single team dominance a la City, Bayern, Barca, Real, etc. I'm used to my teams going long periods without a title (St. Louis Cardinals last won in 2011; St. Louis Blues did win in 2019 but had never won a cup in their history prior to that).

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Players, managers, owners, fans, press - all of it is making me depressed.

The only real upside is it can't last like this forever. Might be another 20 years though...

AFC NimbleThumb

I struggle to get depressed or even upset in recent years because the squad are such a unlikeable bunch, our poor planning is coming home to roost. They were excused every loss & shortcoming in recent years so don’t be surprised now the pressure’s on they buckle.

frostbite

Not depressed, but unfortunately I now live in California and our games are at noon or earlier. It destroys my day...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm past it, I really don't care about this club anymore

BEST No7

Yes. Getting out played by every fecking team week in week out....wtf is wrong.

AngliaRed

My mood use to be affected by wins and losses.

Now I don’t really care. Watch every game but since SAF years we have slowly got worse as a club.

E-mal

Not really, I am always busy with my job and life in general. Supporting united is a minuscule part of my life that its insignificant.