Are we a CDM short of being an elite team?

croadyman

We are 2 midfielders short, a holder who can pass and a creative #8 playmaker.
Yeah the best we can hope now is to get one in January and the other next summer, however my gut feeling is that Utd only see the need to sign a creative 8 only if Pogba leaves of course

croadyman

He's going to do a circa Fergie 2012/13; hope we can get away with it by having world class defenders and forwards. Going to be a fun season :wenger:
Yeah you have absolutely nailed it and can see that being the exact plan

croadyman

I think Ole's got his sights set on Rice and will wait another year to get him (like Sancho) even if it's to the detriment of this season. I just hope we try for a CM in January if we're anywhere near the title.
Yeah only to see him join Chelsea so he better start looking at alternatives like Bissouma/Ndidi in January instead

EtH

Never thought I would say this, but I think the answer is Declan Rice in much the same way it was Harry Maguire at the time. No, he isn’t an absolute world beater. But like Harry he is exactly what we need in a position of serious need. He would improve us the same way Maguire did. In fact, I think his impact could be greater.

We should just bite the bullet and send them Lingard along with £50-60m and be done with it.

croadyman

Even if Pogba was preferred over Bruno, I don't think much would change.

I don't think Ole cares too much about recycling the ball and controlling the midfield. It's fairly evident with our set-up and the lack of midfielder brought in too.

I don't even think much would change if we did bring in a holding midfielder.
Yeah does look like controlling the midfield isn't in his thinking whatsoever which is worrying to say the least

MrSingh2002

feck all. Not get a CDM and also refuse Donny to go and get some football elsewhere.

Top job in the midfield area.

Varane around town

Is he going to keep McFred and play Pogba as one of the front three?

Or is he going to play Pogba with one of Fred, Matic or McTominay and hope that Varane is enough to solidify our defence.

I think that's the decision Ole is going to have to make.

devilo

Never thought I would say this, but I think the answer is Declan Rice in much the same way it was Harry Maguire at the time. No, he isn’t an absolute world beater. But like Harry he is exactly what we need in a position of serious need. He would improve us the same way Maguire did. In fact, I think his impact could be greater.

We should just bite the bullet and send them Lingard along with £50-60m and be done with it.
This. Every chance this would then enable Donny to play.

laughtersassassin

9 games out of 10 it should be McT Pogba and Bruno.

Change it against the top teams.

We have too many great attackers to have McFred playing together and being unable to supply them.

Bruno will have to support the midfield more

laughtersassassin

Depends. I agree if we are playing him beside Pogba or a World Class Pogba replacement whoever that may be.

But if we are playing him beside Fred or McTominay then that is not good enough either really.

UnitedFire

Cavani
Martial Ronaldo
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Pogba
Varane Shaw Wan Bisaka
De Gea
You know it makes sense!

I dont think this is presenting how I've shown it....Varane DM, Shaw and Wan Bisaka insurance policies. Pogba free reign with Bruno. Then huge overload of forward positions.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

We have too many great attackers to have McFred playing together and being unable to supply them.

Funny thing to say after the game in which we created xG=0,6 with Pogba in midfield. Against mighty Wolverhampton.

EtH

Depends. I agree if we are playing him beside Pogba or a World Class Pogba replacement whoever that may be.

But if we are playing him beside Fred or McTominay then that is not good enough either really.
Think he could free up Pogba to shine deeper in much the same way Carrick did for a passed it Scholes. Also reckon he and McTominay would be a strong pairing against the big attacking sides with Pogs dropping in from the left.

laughtersassassin

Funny thing to say after the game in which we created xG=0,6 with Pogba in midfield. Against mighty Wolverhampton.
Fred was the major issue in the weekend. Pogba did very well in the second half and created some very good moments.

We had Fred Matic the game before and it was terrible.

Also you fail to read the part where I say Bruno needs to support the midfield more?

On the weekend he didn't do it at all.

With no DM we need to play a 3 really. Two 8s and then try mold McTominay into a 6.

Fred's in dire form.

lost7

and got moaned at by his teammates for not defending.
If Pogba played anywhere near the level he performed at against Switzerland with us consistently, we'd walk the league. Yes, he was at fault for the equalizer, but he should have gotten 3/4 assists if Mbappe hadn't forgotten his shooting boots. It was pretty much a passing masterclass and on top of that he scored a worldie...

Mr Smith

I think this solution is honestly the best we can do with what we have. It's not perfect, and Pogba is going to give the ball away against teams who press, but he's also going to be able to play to our strengths, which is our world class forward line.

Can't agree enough about Bruno helping out either, he needs to stop playing like a striker and come deep to offer another passing option.

Eddy_JukeZ

And failed to close out the game after his side went 2 up?
Didn't realize Pogba was playing by himself.

If Mbappe put his chances away that Pogba put on a platter for him, the entire perception of his performance changes.

He was brilliant that game.

NZT-One

When will people learn, that footballing quality isn't just about what you can do with a ball but also when you don't have it. Especially in midfield. I swear people will stick Bruno and Pogba in midfield, celebrate them for 20th throughball that might be put over the line by a striker and slam Fred because he is at fault for us being overrun the rest of the game looking like a f**ing pub team.

Other teams attack and defend as a team. Workrate can make up for talent to a certain degree. But we are here looking for the one player who finally unlocks the god-like potential of teamplay. Just by replacing Fred or McT.

Eddy_JukeZ

When will people learn, that footballing quality isn't just about what you can do with a ball but also when you don't have it. Especially in midfield. I swear people will stick Bruno and Pogba in midfield, celebrate them for 20th throughball that might be put over the line by a striker and slam Fred because he is at fault for us being overrun the rest of the game looking like a f**ing pub team.

Other teams attack and defend as a team. Workrate can make up for talent to a certain degree. But we are here looking for the one player who finally unlocks the god-like potential of teamplay. Just by replacing Fred or McT.
Fully agree.

This idea that 1 midfield signing would solve all of the structural and build-up issues we had vs Southampton and Wolves is fantasy.

It's up to the coaching staff to find the right balance from our current midfielders and come up with the right structure/shape to get the best out of the team.

croadyman

Fully agree.

This idea that 1 midfield signing would solve all of the structural and build-up issues we had vs Southampton and Wolves is fantasy.

It's up to the coaching staff to find the right balance from our current midfielders and come up with the right structure/shape to get the best out of the team.
Just really wonder where Ole is going to suddenly magic a structure/shape because still don't think we have one after 3 years

Blood Mage

He's going to hope that his extraordinary run of luck continues and that the firepower of Ronaldo up front will lessen the importance of winning midfield battles. If his luck runs out I think we will panic buy a midfielder in January.

Mr Smith

Yeah does look like controlling the midfield isn't in his thinking whatsoever which is worrying to say the least
I think that's a bit harsh. I'm sure Ole would like to control the midfield more, and I reject completely the idea that he doesn't see the problem, as currently even a blind man could. I feel the problem is twofold:

1. The right midfield targets weren't available this summer. Rice and Ndidi were priced out of moves, Saul is not really a holder, Camavinga didn't want to join us, and Neves for whatever reason doesn't appear to appeal to Ole and the club.

2. Ole doesn't really know how to control the midfield with what he has. What other coaches would do would be to try to dominate the ball with more adept passers (e.g. DVB) but I don't think he quite has the skill to coach a team to play short, quick passes through the press (which is not to disparage Ole btw, as we're talking about top level coaching here).

Given the above two conditions, what were getting is pretty much inevitable. A good but ultimately limited manager doing the best he can with limited midfielders.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Fully agree.

It's up to the manager. And at every other club, no one would be saying it's up to the coaching staff.

croadyman

I think that's a bit harsh. I'm sure Ole would like to control the midfield more, and I reject completely the idea that he doesn't see the problem, as currently even a blind man could. I feel the problem is twofold:

1. The right midfield targets weren't available this summer. Rice and Ndidi were priced out of moves, Saul is not really a holder, Camavinga didn't want to join us, and Neves for whatever reason doesn't appear to appeal to Ole and the club.

2. Ole doesn't really know how to control the midfield with what he has. What other coaches would do would be to try to dominate the ball with more adept passers (e.g. DVB) but I don't think he quite has the skill to coach a team to play short, quick passes through the press (which is not to disparage Ole btw, as we're talking about top level coaching here).

Given the above two conditions, what were getting is pretty much inevitable. A good but ultimately limited manager doing the best he can with limited midfielders.
Personally think he needs to look elsewhere from Rice because convinced he is Chelsea bound, however that isn't a bad thing because will mean we could get someone much cheaper like a Bissouma/Tchouameni who could do the job as well

croadyman

It's up to the manager. And at every other club, no one would be saying it's up to the coaching staff.
The coaching isn't that inexperienced at Premier League level at other clubs as we currently have in place that's why

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes, I should have phrased it better.

It's up to Ole. I'm not buying any more excuses. He has been thoroughly backed and brought in better players than any of his predecessors did.

If you told people before the window closed that we would sign Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo, they would think you're playing FM.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's gonna pull a SAF and ignore it for years.
Bit weird to say this when Ole has bought things like a RW and a RB and a CAM and a ST.

You surely don't believe we won't get a CDM soon right?