Are we going to be put back in our place next season?

flappyjay

Anyone here feel the league position this season feels a bit flukey? The entire seasons got the 17/18 feel - that season also ended with a whimper, losing a cup final.

Are we going back to spending next season fighting for 4th again, watching Liverpool and City fight for the title?
All the teams in the top 4 this season spent more than us bringing in 1st team players. If we don't significantly add to what we have we will fall off. The fan protests did hamper our games against leicester and Liverpool though it mad etge last few games unbearable . Everyone seems to have forgotten that. We had good momentum heading to those games.

hubbuh

Please, enough of this. We have been much better than to go and get this prediction. Yes sure City and Liverpool are probably favourties to go above us, but not anyone else.

Imagine the things people would've said about Ole, if he lost the clutch last game of the season to miss out on CL (bar some Spurs help) to Aston Villa, like Tuchel did.
What prediction? I didn't make a prediction. I said I wouldn't be surprised if we finish anywhere between 2nd and 6th, dependent on signings (which includes our rivals). What's so unreasonable about that? Maybe I've been burnt by too many false dawns in recent years, but very little surprises me when it comes to United these days. A dodgy summer (which absolutely isn't beyond the realms of possibility) and I think we'll struggle.

There are big question marks over the GK situation, we don't know what is going on with Pogba who very well could leave this summer, our leading striker is 34, one of our most important players in Rashford looks completely overplayed and burnt out and has got the EUROs to prepare for in a few weeks. There are obviously big issues in defence and midfield and while I appreciate all this stuff could be sorted with a really effective and proactive summer, when it comes to the Glazers you just don't know what's going to happen.

TheLord

The only thing that will keep us in the same top-four bracket of City, Liverpool and Chelsea next season is that other "supposedly" big teams like Spurs, Arsenal and Everton are utter trash and Leicester are complete bottlers.

Betson

I think we fall well short of City and Liverpool next season , due to their injury list etc Liverpool seriously underperfomed this season but their 1st team is still far better than ours.

We should finish top 4 again , but at the moment that seems to be the height of our ambition which is sad for club of our size and history.

The reality is that unless we add at least 3 players to to our current 1st team we are not serious about any title challenge.

Hughes35

City will be as good as ever next year
Liverpool will be better than this year
Chelsea will be better

Fight between Utd, Leicester, Tottenham, Everton etc for the other top 4 spot IMO.

Yet another long season ahead unless we have a shockingly good transfer window.

hobbers

Yes.

Our squad is comparable to Chelsea's in quality but our manager is not comparable to Tuchel.

Liverpool will obviously overtake us and be City's main competition.

We'll be fighting with Spurs and Leicester for fourth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I am not confident we can win the league next season, regardless of any business done in the window. More than that needs to change.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am not confident we can win the league next season, regardless of any business done in the window. More than that needs to change.
Who's talking of winning the league? I don't think there's a person on the planet expecting that.

A more realistic question is do you believe we can narrow the gap once City have a fit Liverpool to push them and the crowds are back (presumably impacting our away form) and stay 2nd on at least 80 points.

That should be the demand, +80 points, narrowing the gap further and finishing a season well for once.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Yes, in spectacular fashion. Fans will be back so that away record is ending quickly next season and not a chance we will see so many comebacks.

hobbers

Who's talking of winning the league? I don't think there's a person on the planet expecting that.

A more realistic question is do you believe we can narrow the gap once City have a fit Liverpool to push them and the crowds are back (presumably impacting our away form) and stay 2nd on at least 80 points.

That should be the demand, +80 points, narrowing the gap further and finishing a season well for once.
If we're not in a title fight in May next year Ole has failed his stated 3 year project.

DULLAGHAN

In my view as things stand with no signings or managerial changes and fully fit squads we're going to finish 4th. City are a world ahead of us, a fully fit Liverpool are well ahead of us, Chelsea have turned a corner and look miles ahead of how they were under lampard.

We've improved this year but 2nd flatters us hugely. My key memories of the season are still 6-1 to Jose, embarrassed in the group stages of the champions League, a complete collapse against a string of average teams in January having gone top of the league, totally outplayed by Leicester in the FA cup semi and last night. That's too many shockers in one season for an elite manager.

mav_9me

I'll echo the sentiment in the thread. Tough race for top 4.

Things can change unexpectedly all the time, for Liverpool this season for the worse, for West Ham for the better.

Similarly you never know, Spurs with a new manager (maybe Rogers for ex) or arsenal under Arteta ( 2nd in table counting last 23 games or so) or Leicester may do much better than expected.

Having said that we have bigger worries at home with our owners and our transfers. Sigh.

Ekeke

Anyone here feel the league position this season feels a bit flukey? The entire seasons got the 17/18 feel - that season also ended with a whimper, losing a cup final.

Are we going back to spending next season fighting for 4th again, watching Liverpool and City fight for the title?
Well yes we've done amazing to finish 2nd (and other teams did poorly). Without the correct arrivals in the summer theres no chance we push on from where we're at, and it'll be very hard to come 2nd again

The likes of Lindelof, Fred and a starting De Gea have taken us as far as they will go. The occasional Europa league and 2nd when our rivals have a poor league season

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Yes.

Our squad is comparable to Chelsea's in quality but our manager is not comparable to Tuchel.

Liverpool will obviously overtake us and be City's main competition.

We'll be fighting with Spurs and Leicester for fourth.
I disagree, i think the first 11 is quite equal, if not slightly in your favour. However i think we have more quality in depth

I think next season the four that finished in the CL spots will do so by a much more comfortable margin

hobbers

You don't think the goal posts will be moved prior to that?
Oh of course they will.

Woodward will give him a new contract and it'll be stated "the aim is to have United winning major honours within 3 (more) years".

The whole point Ole was given a permanent deal in the first place was to help slowly kill the ambition of winning titles, and make it easier for the owners to hoodwink the fans with "rebuilding job" this and "cultural reboot" that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Oh of course they will.

Woodward will give him a new contract and it'll be stated "the aim is to have United winning major honours within 3 (more) years".

The whole point Ole was given a permanent deal in the first place was to help slowly kill the ambition of winning titles, and make it easier for the owners to hoodwink the fans with "rebuilding job" this and "cultural reboot" that.
Woodward is stepping down, but let's suppose that were true (I don't think so, but for the sake of argument) - with the SL fiasco, the protests and the repeated failures at semi final stages and now a final where we were favourites, I just can't believe that will wash. So I think, and hope, that the pressure will very much be on from next season onwards, like it would be for anyone not with an emotional tie to the club.

But to expect a serious fight for the league I just don't think is realistic. We were probably benefitted from this chaotic season, obviously with Liverpool imploding and a few other rivals. If we just look at our own team in isolation, I would see a healthy points tally, goal difference, home record and run in the CL as the requirement. If Liverpool and/or City go back to 90+ points then I cannot imagine we stand any chance of fighting for the title. But this team should be finishing on 80+ points and dominating a number of games over 90 minutes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All depends on this summer, we will see how serious the Glazers are.

If we don't reinvest and continue the positive momentum then we will probably slip back into the same old pattern. Sack the manager and end up 6th. Rinse and repeat.

matsdf

We'll obviously be nowhere near City/Liverpool. The question is, can we keep pace with Chelsea?

We have to wait until the transfer window shuts, before making firm predictions, but judging by the the way it has been conducted so far, 4th place is the limit of our aspirations for next year.
For us, it'll be a top four scrap, trying to keep our noses in front of Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton etc and hoping we don't have to watch Liverpool/City clean up on trophies again.

Unless of course we get a top manager in.
The first one is from last year, and the second one is from this thread. Now I'm sorry for circling you out, because this has nothing to do with you. Point is, we are very hard on ourselves and posts on this forum tend to be gloomy.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We will struggle to come top 4 next season.

You could let him sign 11 world class players and he’d still struggle.

Hopefully there will be fans inside the stadium and eventually watching us struggle against some bottom of the league team will be the straw that breaks the camels back and Ole will be hounded out, hopefully, but not likely :(

wolvored

Don’t think we can say that until Ole is backed properly with regards to what he wants. He wanted Haaland, club didn’t deliver. Sancho was number 1 target last summer, club didn’t deliver.
No one gets all their players that they want in, in one window. Any manager can say I want the worlds best this or that. Its working with the players you have, coaching them and improving them, melding the whole better than the parts. Klopp and Pep have shown it can be done. Im not sure Ole can, neither him or the coaching staff. If we improved our coaching staff he might have half a chance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

No, that shouldn’t be the target at all, it SHOULD be trying to win the league. Not narrowing the gap to a team that finished 10 points behind us. Why would we finish second and then set ourselves a target of staying second?

Foxbatt

Moyes wanted Ronaldo, Fabregas and Modric. He didn't get them. Do we excuse him for being 7th because he couldn't get the players he wanted?
We can get Haarland and Sancho but we won't win the PL or CL with Ole.

Zoo

Moyes wanted Ronaldo, Fabregas and Modric. He didn't get them. Do we excuse him for being 7th because he couldn't get the players he wanted?
We can get Haarland and Sancho but we won't win the PL or CL with Ole.
Did Ole finish 7th? Have we not shown signs of progression?

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Bang on, Tuchel could well lose all three most important games of his season but he'll still be a beautiful amazing person for people on here while Ole is the vile idiot.
Except Tuchel has inherited somebody else's squad four months ago and Ole has been in charge of United for two-and-a-half years and had time and money to develop the squad to his liking.

Giggsy13

City are miles ahead of us, we won’t come closer without significant investment. I’ve been saying it all season, the scousers will bounce back as well, and are already making signings with Konate set to join. A full of season of Thiago and Jota and they will be in the hunt again. Chelsea will also hit the market running to back Tuchel who’s had a good season. They’ll be in for Varane and Sancho, and if they were to get both, we’re fecked. I’m not overly concerned about Leicester, Spurs or arsenal. I think we finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th next season.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Unless we have investment in the areas that are needed then yeah we will be back out of the top 4 and starting again from scratch. I suppose the silver lining of this defeat is that it doesn't paper over the obvious cracks in our squad

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're in a much better place this season than after 17/18, but I don't necessarily think we'll seriously challenge for the league, CL and we don't have the mentality to win the FA or EFL cup. We need a huge summer window done early to do anything different this season, which is doable, but I'm doubtful on it happening.

As of now I'm guessing a 4th place finish and a limp showing in the cups. Sign Sancho, a CB, Trippier, sort out our GK situation and sign a midfielder and maybe we can challenge, but then it's all on the manager if we don't.

GlasgowCeltic

In my view as things stand with no signings or managerial changes and fully fit squads we're going to finish 4th. City are a world ahead of us, a fully fit Liverpool are well ahead of us, Chelsea have turned a corner and look miles ahead of how they were under lampard.

We've improved this year but 2nd flatters us hugely. My key memories of the season are still 6-1 to Jose, embarrassed in the group stages of the champions League, a complete collapse against a string of average teams in January having gone top of the league, totally outplayed by Leicester in the FA cup semi and last night. That's too many shockers in one season for an elite manager.
When you put it like that, what were the season highlights, 6-2 against Leeds?

UnitedFan93

Serious investment is all well and good but at the end of the day the managers make the difference, and I don't think Ole can when up against Klopp and Guardiola. I expect both City and Liverpool to get over 90 points next season. The fact that Liverpool finished the season just 5 points behind us despite not having a central defence all season shows the ability of Klopp to get the most out of his players. Ole can't.

City, Liverpool, and Chelsea will be stronger next season with better managers. The best we can get is a top 4 finish.

Infra-red

The first one is from last year, and the second one is from this thread. Now I'm sorry for circling you out, because this has nothing to do with you. Point is, we are very hard on ourselves and posts on this forum tend to be gloomy.
A historic Liverpool collapse and Chelsea being so bad that they sacked their manager was perhaps not reasonably foreseeable 12 months ago, but it ended up being the difference between us finishing 2nd and 4th. City were and indeed are miles ahead of us. I don't think that was an overly pessimistic prediction and nor do I think preciting that we're more likely to be involved in a top 4 scrap than a title challenge is an overly pessimistic prediction for next season.

Do you expect us to win the Premier League title next year, or do you think that we'll be closer to 4th than to 1st, just as we ended up being this season?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Anyone thinking Ole will turn this around and suddenly start winning trophies needs to take off their Ole tinted spectacles.

The man is a legend at the club as a player, as a manager he is severely limited.

5 semi finals, been knocked out each time. 1 last chance of a trophy this season, youd expect him to go all out and secure the silverware, but again his lack of game management cost us the trophy.

Countless games showed this season, that he is clearly not the man to take us forward.

Unfortunately we have owners that dont really care about on field success and only success on the profit sheet.

We are lumped with Ole until either we fail to make the top 4, or more likely, the fans turn against him and force the issue with the owners. The bad thing is when that happens his legend status will be tarnished.

SAFMUTD

If we're honest, that would mean we'd buy around 5 excellent players or more. But of course Pep is levels above Ole, that's obvious to anyone, and Ole himself.
That's exactly why we should start by improving our coaching, it's like in Formula 1. We are competing against a faster car with a better driver, well at least get a great driver yourself.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

The league table doesn't lie, after 38 games you get the position you deserve. It's not 'flukey'.

As for next season, how about waiting to see who we bring in during the summer before guessing how we'll do next season?
Who do you think we could realistically bring that would made us challenge City?

I mean we could bring Sancho, Rice, Kounde and whoever you like and still I wouldn't fancy us to beat city. Coaching plays a big part, until Pep and Klopp go away or we improve on Ole we have no chance. That's the hard truth, yes bringing some players will help to "secure" top 4, but when talking about the title forget it there's no chance we'll beat city. They have a great squad with worldclass management we have a good squad with average manager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Except Tuchel has inherited somebody else's squad four months ago and Ole has been in charge of United for two-and-a-half years and had time and money to develop the squad to his liking.
Yep the good old 'he needs to build his own team'. As if this Chelsea team does not have the quality.

Besides I'm not even saying Tuchel is bad, he's had a good half season, very good in fact. I'm saying double standards are shocking.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We got 74 points which in none of the last 5 seasons would get you 2nd. Mourinho got us 81 points in 2018 for reference. We also came from behind more than any other team this season which indicates some positives like persistence, but also an element of luck that could well abandon us.

Objectively speaking as soon as Liverpool get a new defender and VVD back they again become stronger in almost every line (midfield debatable) while being significantly better coached. Man City are much stronger, with more quality depth and also better coached. These facts should be obvious to anyone watching football and claiming to understand it.

The odds are heavily stacked against us for next season. Statistically speaking the smart money would be us fighting Chelsea for 3rd-4th. If they lose the final they go into next season in almost the same boat as us. Uncertain if their manager and squad is the right one to win things after two final losses.

Unfortunately the ambition of the owners is to be in the CL spots and be profitable, not to win things. I think we will have too much for Leicester, Arsenal and Tottenham again next season so we are likely to get top 4 and avoid an inquisition into why a team with our budget and expenditure cannot compete at the top. Or even have a discernible style of play for that matter.
Oh please stop with this bullshit statistics. We would have easily had 6 more points if we needed to. We were uncatchable in the league and gave away several games in the end.

This doom-and-gloom thread is insane. We will be fine, and if we bring proper players (of Cavani and Bruno's ilk) we absolutely can win EPL.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No, that shouldn’t be the target at all, it SHOULD be trying to win the league. Not narrowing the gap to a team that finished 10 points behind us. Why would we finish second and then set ourselves a target of staying second?
Sure, that should be the aim, even for a team like Arsenal or Spurs, but then there's realism. We are quite far behind City's first XI and very far from their squad, we're also quite far from Liverpool's first XI though our depth is a bit better. If the team finds itself top of the league deep into the season (like this season) I do hope they have the belief they can keep going, unlike this time around. However, as a supporter with realistic expectations, I want to see this team progress to one that continually puts 80+ points on the board, is strong at home, dominates games and has a healthy goal difference.

If Ole fails to win a trophy next season I think the jury will be out. And rightly so. But we're hardly winning the league, and I wouldn't knock Ole for not doing so. If he wins the league he can sign a 10 year contract.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

City are City, Liverpool will probably be better and Chelsea will probably be better, if the upturn in their fortunes since Tuchel’s arrival is anything to go by. So yes, United will most likely find it a lot harder next season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

As usual, depends on the Summer transfers.

If and it's a big if. But if we brought in Varane and Sancho with a midfielder than I feel like we could fight for the league. But if we feck up the window again and bring in our 2nd/3rd choice transfers then it's just going to be more of the same.