Are we the worst run top/elite club in the world?

hp88

Seriously neglected when it came to improving the squad, 4 / 5 back line started against Basel in 2011 :eek:

Trizy

We're the laughing stock of football and rightly so.

And it's all down to the lack of football experience from the board. Instead of doing what City did after Fergie, they've tried throw money at the problem and hire safe bets that turned out to be massive flops. Our wage bill in the 3rd highest in Europe and yet we're not even in the top 10 clubs.

We've damaged our reputation so much that we've damaged our pull. Why would any top youngster who has options to go to Barcelona, City, Madrid, Liverpool, Juventus or Bayern want to come here?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes we are. Maybe AC Milan are worse, but they don't have commercial revenue or brand that we have. It was not a great secret that replacing SAF was going to be difficult, but we botched it right away by hiring Moyes and sacking all of SAF staff. We've been playing catch up ever since. But considering the money spent we really should be title contender. The difference between us and Liverpool is they hired a world class manager who is the best in world in making sleeping giants competetive and making his players overperform. We had a slight chance of that with Mourinho, but he's past it and needs to outspend his rivals these days to do the job.

UnitedFan93

Why haven't we got a sporting director in place by now? Other clubs have had sporting directors for years and here we are guessing who the sporting director might be! It has been going on for fecking years! How fecking long does it take to make an appointment? If we needed a new commercial director it would have been done within weeks.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Juventus don't really have much business in having much better players than we do. Yes they are european giant, but with our brand and revenues we should still have a better squad than them.

RedDevil@84

We aren't really a top club in footballing terms. We are just a costlier Arsenal.
The way the club is run is more or like at the same level.

Gehrman

We aren't really a top club in footballing terms. We are just a costlier Arsenal.
The way the club is run is more or like at the same level.
I'd say that is a major difference. Wenger kept Arsenal up there in the top 4 while spending mostly peanuts. We've been splashing the cash and paying high wages since LVG yet Top 4 has been struggle almost every year.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

The Glazers are happy with a good balance sheet. Until that attitude changes we will continue to be run in this manner. The sad thing is eventually we’ll end up spending some money wisely and everyone will be happy...but these money-leaching, mortgage-hedging, capitalist gnomes must go!!

Mal donaghy

Commercially we are right in the top, United is one of the TOP brands in thw world.

But regarding titles achievements we are REALLY poor, Im not talking only about not winning thropies but we haven’t even been serious contenders for 6 years now.

We’ve been 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd and now we’ll end probably between 5-6th. We are averaging 5th place for the last 6 years.

We have the third highest wage in Europe and don’t even have the 4th best squad in England. We have really fallen behind.

There are other top clubs that have fallen, like Inter and Milan but those clubs have economic problems to blame for their poor squads.

Can you think of anyother top club that is run worst than ours?

What do you think is wrong with the club specifically? Can we get back to the top in the short run? What would you change in the club?
YES we are the worlds worst run big club

minoo-utd

Yes no doubt about it. We have been under bad judgment and many many wrong decisions for 6 years now. Shame.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It's hard to argue against it tbh. It doesn't look like there's been a direction or a strategy at Man United since Ferguson and Gill left. With your global fanbase and the cash flowing in, you should really expect challenging every year.

You can point at your players not being good enough, which is true to some level. You can also point at the managers you've had not being good enough, which also might be true.

But it's just a symptom imo. It was a major mistake that Ferguson and Gill left at the same time. It opened up a vacuum of power with no one to fill their boots. Woodward came in and took control without any knowledge of the football side of business and there was no one to challenge him because Moyes was such a weak manager.

Mourinho complained about being more of a coach than a manager if I remember correctly. And there was also Woodwards supposed willingness to buy Varane, instead of what the manager wanted. So it looks to me like Woodward is very much in control of the football side of business. And to me it doesn't look like he is better suited to that job than the average fan playing FIFA.

Imo the blame is on your owners and board for neglecting the football side of your business by allowing Woodward to be in control. You need a long term strategy laid down by some people who actually know football. And you need a structure where the power of the football business is with people who actually know football.

croadyman

Up there with Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Yeah seems that their fans were spot on with what they said when those leeches took over the club in 2005. The only thing that would see us dramatically improve is as much as I hate to say it some kind of Saudi takeover. I know that people have serious concerns with their regime and the negative image it would give our club

I really wish that there was someone else who would have the necessary funds to buy the club, however unfortunately I cannot think of anyone that comes to mind. Would be a dream for the club to be run by the legends of the club like Bayern Munich are, however that isn't ever going to be possible in the premier league

croadyman

It's hard to argue against it tbh. It doesn't look like there's been a direction or a strategy at Man United since Ferguson and Gill left. With your global fanbase and the cash flowing in, you should really expect challenging every year.

You can point at your players not being good enough, which is true to some level. You can also point at the managers you've had not being good enough, which also might be true.

But it's just a symptom imo. It was a major mistake that Ferguson and Gill left at the same time. It opened up a vacuum of power with no one to fill their boots. Woodward came in and took control without any knowledge of the football side of business and there was no one to challenge him because Moyes was such a weak manager.

Mourinho complained about being more of a coach than a manager if I remember correctly. And there was also Woodwards supposed willingness to buy Varane, instead of what the manager wanted. So it looks to me like Woodward is very much in control of the football side of business. And to me it doesn't look like he is better suited to that job than the average fan playing FIFA.

Imo the blame is on your owners and board for neglecting the football side of your business by allowing Woodward to be in control. You need a long term strategy laid down by some people who actually know football. And you need a structure where the power of the football business is with people who actually know football.
Let's face it there is no way that Woody is going to give up being in control of transfers and appoint a DOF externally. I know exactly who I would like for the role, however United do not seem to be interested in any external candidates which is a complete joke.

ash_86

Yep. We're the worst run rich club. How many clubs can spend 800m in 7 years and still end up with Smalling, Jones, Young as their primary defense. Any of the forum members could have assembled a better squad for the money we have spent.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Woodward is shit and needs to go. Clueless on the footballing end and is massively overrated on the commercial side of the business.

He's selling Man Utd to sponsors, not fecking acrington Stanley, it's obvious that we'll get the deals in as long as anybody competent is handling the job. He's no commercial genius.

ti vu

In reality, we haven't been a top side since SAF retired. No title challenge. Not very good in CL (even when we're qualified to participate).

We're just one of the wealthiest club at the moment with great pedigree. We're having a false sense of elitism when we're still stuck in vicious cycle of rebuilding under Woodward reign.

The question is: are we the worst circus among the wealthiest club post SAF?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The summer after Fergie left, appointing Moyes and his disastrous season in charge laid the foundations for what we have today.

It was a squad that needed two or three windows of youthful additions added in and bedded in, older players phased out over the following 18 months etc, so it could remain competitive, a process itself, that if handled correctly would have taken two seasons minimum before we would be challenging again.

We are 5 years and half a billion pounds wasted because of how badly that summer was handled.

liamp

In world football? Yes. In sports...if you look at the Forbes Top 50 most valuable sports teams, you'll see a lot of valuable franchises (Knicks, Lakers, Redskins, arguably Cowboys) that are also terribly run. The common theme between us and those franchises are meddling/inept owners and/or nepotism when selecting key operations personnel.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Yes amongst the elite clubs.

Hiring the wrong managers -Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Giving contract extensions way too early - Mourinho and now possibly Ole.

Signing players who are past it- Scweinstieger, Falcao, Zlatan, Sanchez.

Bowing down to player demands - Rooney, Martial. Soon to be Pogba and De Gea.

Having players at the club who don’t fit the united way - Pogba, Lingard. I’m sorry but all this dab and social media crap does my head in. If Ferguson was manager these clowns would’ve left ages ago.

Last edited:

Jibbs

Yes we are and until Woody is at the wheel, sadly we will remain a laughing stock club.

Waynne

From a football perspective, we are absolutely the worst. From a commercial stand point we are really good. Welcome to Glazer world. How is it that we still don't have a DOF. The storyline during Mou was that he was against it, now that he's gone Woodward still making the decisions. I have a sinking feeling this summer will be are uneventful as last summer. lots of rumors, but nothing impactful gets over the line.
Transfers are not going to fix anything. I would happily trade transfers for next season for proper behind the scenes organisational shake up that seeks to put the football first and commercial success 2nd. Whether it be a DOF and some other backroom staff to prepare to push us to the next level then so be it.
I'm heavily in favour of fixing the clubs footballing structure first. The transfers can follow that.

NoLogo

2017 we had about 100M € higher revenue than City. Last year they finished 19 points ahead of us. This year it's easily possible that it's going to be more than 20. That pretty much tells you all there is to know. In my book after this season Woodward and everyone involved in assembling this squad needs to leave the club and the board better make sure we hire someone with a real plan this time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sadly, as long as Woody is making money, he'll be overpromoted.
That will stop soon. We are still making money based on Fergie's results and the fact that "we are Man Utd". But if we don't win title in a season or two, it will stop. Big sponsors will go away from club which is fighting for top 4 and playing in EL. And then it will be hard to bring status back.

Pscholes18

What did that cnut Woodward do at the club before his current position? Who appointed him and for God sakes why?

ti vu

What did that cnut Woodward do at the club before his current position? Who appointed him and for God sakes why?
Legends says he was an account and played huge role to help the Glazers'takeover of the club. He is competent in his field, but seems like power drunk with no check after SAF and Gill left their position.

Saffron

Sadly, as long as Woody is making money, he'll be overpromoted.
He’s the Steve Ballmer of football. Everything he touched at Microsoft turned to shit, but because the stock kept rising (which would have happened anyway) he remained CEO for far too long. And did massive long term damage to the company.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We are literally a laughing stock.

Our biggest rivals regularly and rightly literally just laugh at the decisions made by Woodward and the Glazers...

Moyes - laughter, and they were right

Rooney contract - laughter, and they were right

Calls to hire Giggs - laughter, disbelief that we might welcome this at the time

Mourinho appointment - bitterness, back to being hated, for a while, til it all went to rubbish

OGS permanent appointment - laughter, disbelief that we actually welcome this as a fanbase

We're awfully run, I genuinely struggle to honestly think of one single actively good thing that the owners and people in charge have done in 6 years...

It's crazy how badly run we are. And frustrating at what decent owners could actually achieve here.