Are we turning the corner?

entropy

Yes it's good for the morale but such victories do not tell us a lot about where we stand. Rather, I've always believed the top games indicate how good teams and players are. Let's not forget, we lost to Liverpool and City at home with 6-0 combined. I do think we've improved over the past weeks, but as for "turning a corner", one should calm down and let things play out. If this form can be maintained for the Bayern (we don't necessarily need to win) and Everton games, things are hands down looking bright.
Which is pretty much what I meant. These victories do not change my opinion on Moyes, I will wait to see how he conducts our transfers over the summer.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We weren't setting the world on fire when RVP was playing alongside rooney and mata. Defensively we are in better shape than we were for the first leg which means a lot especially against Bayern away. I am sure we will get rooney back for the return leg, so best shape possible.
Interesting...

I guess we just need one of them, not both.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is this after he takes us below his former club in the league table? It's all a bit late in the day when we absolutely nothing to play for.
I recall Liverpool in the same position last season;they started to score for fun when there appeared to be nothing to play for. However he can start to shape his team for next season. Building up momentum now can only lead to confidence at the start next season

Cal?

CR7 fan
I recall Liverpool in the same position last season;they started to score for fun when there appeared to be nothing to play for. However he can start to shape his team for next season. Building up momentum now can only lead to confidence at the start next season
I recall Liverpool being in 7th the previous season and not runaway champions.

The White Pele

If we win at Everton we could and should rack up 6 straight wins in the league which would be our best run by a distance. It would also see us close the gap to 4th although not reach it.

However, the way this season has gone, the last three positive results are likely to be followed by a humbling night in Munich and a painful return to Goodison for Moyes.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Sounds mad but if Arsenal get beaten by Everton you are only 7 points off 4th place.

Inigo Montoya

I recall Liverpool being in 7th the previous season and not runaway champions.
Hardly the point I was making....try and infer, I realise it's beyond the scope of some posters on the Caf but just try if you will.I'll try not to spell it out.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hardly the point I was making....try and infer, I realise it's beyond the scope of some posters on the Caf but just try if you will.I'll try not to spell it out.
For some reason the relative strengths of the squads doesn't matter?

Inigo Montoya

For some reason the relative strengths of the squads doesn't matter?
Look, I know what you're getting at but if you can't take some positives out of the last 3 results then you can wallow in all the anti Moyes bitterness you want. The point is we have to start building from somewhere. The strengths of the squads is irrelevant if the style and tactics don't work. I can see wht Moyes is attempting to do..it may or may not work long term.If he can take this momentum into next season with further additions to the squad and with a resurgent RVP( at least 1 more season) then we will be challenging agin.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are we still in a chance for fourth? Someone pls tell me we do
We're 7pts behind Arsenal having played a game more, here's their remaining fixtures:

Everton A
West Ham United H
Hull City A
Newcastle United H
West Bromwich H
Norwich City A

Even if we win all 5, it'd still take a total capitulation by Arsenal for it to happen.

bobbyf

But that's Liverpool. Why compare us to other clubs? Were they playing such poor opposition and winning? This season has proved that Moyes cannot get the best out of our team when it really matters and he doesn't deserve the chance to carry on.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
We're 7pts behind Arsenal having played a game more, here's their remaining fixtures:

Everton A
West Ham United H
Hull City A
Newcastle United H
West Bromwich H
Norwich City A

Even if we win all 5, it'd still take a total capitulation by Arsenal for it to happen.
And for Everton to completely fail too!

dev1l

Everton A
West Ham United H
Hull City A
Newcastle United H
West Bromwich H
Norwich City A

true but they re good at bottling it too...

Cal?

CR7 fan
Look, I know what you're getting at but if you can't take some positives out of the last 3 results then you can wallow in all the anti Moyes bitterness you want. The point is we have to start building from somewhere. The strengths of the squads is irrelevant if the style and tactics don't work. I can see wht Moyes is attempting to do..it may or may not work long term.If he can take this momentum into next season with further additions to the squad and with a resurgent RVP( at least 1 more season) then we will be challenging agin.
I've already had that pipedream back in December when we won a few games in a row. So apologies for being very negative about what he can do.

The point is that it wasn't unreasonable to say that CL qualification is the minimum requirement last May (in fact most of us would be disappointed if that's all we managed), so unless we fluke the CL or Arsenal somehow completely capitulate, I still want him gone.

Inigo Montoya

But that's Liverpool. Why compare us to other clubs? Were they playing such poor opposition and winning? This season has proved that Moyes cannot get the best out of our team when it really matters and he doesn't deserve the chance to carry on.
I'm comparing situations not necessarily clubs; it just happens to be Liverpool. rebuliding takes time, I can see what tactics he's trying to implement just as I could Rodgers at Liverpool..it started to work for him just as I can see it with Moyes now. But only time will tell

Cal?

CR7 fan
And for Everton to completely fail too!
Everton well, assuming we beat them, they've also still got City, so we'd need them to drop a few points, but not really 'completely fail'.
true but they re good at bottling it too...
Not this good, 9pts from thos 6 games and we have no chance, if they only win their 3 home games...

Tomalonge

I've already had that pipedream back in December when we won a few games in a row. So apologies for being very negative about what he can do.
I'm getting pretty tired of you acting like you're the only person in the world to not enjoy this season. We've been watching too, and some of us are still supporting the manager, stop making it out as being positive is some impossible feat.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm comparing situations not necessarily clubs; it just happens to be Liverpool. rebuliding takes time, I can see what tactics he's trying to implement just as I could Rodgers at Liverpool..it started to work for him just as I can see it with Moyes now. But only time will tell
But we didn't need to rebuild in the first place.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
More time? Finishing out of the top 4 is grounds for sacking, no matter what else happens this season. And finishing below his old club would be a complete and utter failure. There's really nothing left to play for this season so the pressure's off. Europa League? No, thanks.
First of all, Im not a Moyes apologist. Id rather have him sacked at the earliest. I was making a point that a string of positive results will be more than enough for him to keep his job, come next season.

And no, we haven't turned a corner. It was just like this, after every win this season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm getting pretty tired of you acting like you're the only person in the world to not enjoy this season. We've been watching too, and some of us are still supporting the manager, stop making it out as being positive is some impossible feat.
The only person? :lol: Did you see the poll a couple of weeks ago? Wasn't it 90% who wanted him gone? How many of those minds do you think a few wins in dead games have changed?

I support Man Utd, not Moyes FC, I firmly believe that he's hurting the club in the long run, is it so wrong to want him out?

Cal?

CR7 fan
In your opinion.

The midfield alone for those last few seasons under Fergie was criminal.
Yet we still won our fair share of trophies and got amazingly close to others.

The squad as a whole didn't need rebuilding, it needed some additions.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
It's good to build confidence and finish as high in the table as we can. Goals and assists would only help our attackers confidence going into the next season. Won't read too much into the result against a team that has already checked out. We are also under very little pressure now as the chances of fourth diminished with the Liverpool and City losses.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
We can take heart from these victories, but feck me, that's a pretty big corner we've been turning all year. Let's see how the momentum gained is used against Bayern and Everton.

Tomalonge

The only person? :lol: Did you see the poll a couple of weeks ago? Wasn't it 90% who wanted him gone? How many of those minds do you think a few wins in dead games have changed?

I support Man Utd, not Moyes FC, I firmly believe that he's hurting the club in the long run, is it so wrong to want him out?
No, it's not so wrong.

Also, not only person, acting like the only person. Big difference.

Every god damn post? Does it not get tiring shitting all over everything? Do you not think, maybe after one of the better weeks of the season, that maybe shutting the hell up might be a good idea.

No doubt you'll be dominating the forums next time the result isn't completely perfect or against the right opposition for you. Just give it a rest, we get it.

bobbyf

And how did these tactics work against the top 5 clubs this season or in the games we really needed to win?

Rebuilding what? We needed 2-3 players last summer (which failed to materialise), not a wholesale clear out. This one of the myths that we've had to listen to all season, when in fact our problems lie with the manager who cannot get our team playing close to their potential.

A few wins against poor opposition when the pressure is basically off both teams doesn't mean his tactics are improving or change the fact that he's not up to the job. Too little, too late. Hoping time won't tell and we get a proper manager.

Inigo Montoya

But we didn't need to rebuild in the first place.
Think we did Cal. Only Fergie masked this with brilliant man managership and motivation. It was criminal to let Pogba leave for one and we were woefully weak in defence by the end. rebuilding was exactly what we needed only Fergie had finally had enough( boy didn't he earn it!) to go through it once more.

Wittmann45

I'm a bit of a Kagawa fan boy, so with the team playing well and him finally fitting in nicely, everything is positive. Obviously United haven't turned a corner yet, far from it. Bayern is next and could easily destroy this team and then everything would be back to square one. Liverpool was only a few games ago, and before that City. And before that this team drew at home against a relegation candidate by conceeding in the final minute.

People have correctly pointed out how awful the competition has been in the league since City two games ago, but at least Moyes is winning games against teams United should be destroying. Yes it's a win against a poor side, but at least he is getting results that he should be getting. That's a good sign

Frankly, for better or worse (probably worse) it seems like Moyes is here to stay. This win over Newcastle, the way Mata and Kagawa have been playing together...silver linings and all that

Inigo Montoya

And how did these tactics work against the top 5 clubs this season or in the games we really needed to win?

Rebuilding what? We needed 2-3 players last summer (which failed to materialise), not a wholesale clear out. This one of the myths that we've had to listen to all season, when in fact our problems lie with the manager who cannot get our team playing close to their potential.

A few wins against poor opposition when the pressure is basically off both teams doesn't mean his tactics are improving or change the fact that he's not up to the job. Too little, too late. Hoping time won't tell and we get a proper manager.
And the whole process will start again together with your suffocating negativity. I'm glad the ground isn't full of people like you

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, it's not so wrong.

Every god damn post? Does it not get tiring shitting all over everything? Do you not think, maybe after one of the better weeks of the season, that maybe shutting the hell up might be a good idea.

No doubt you'll be dominating the forums next time the result isn't completely perfect or against the right opposition for you. Just give it a rest, we get it.
That's not exactly how forums work, is it? Only post when the results went the way your view is?

So I guess you won't be posting if Bayern trash us on Wed? (I hope we somehow make it through, but don't really rate our chances) or would you be here making excuses about how they're the best team in the world and it wasn't a surprise?

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
No, it's not so wrong.

Like.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Think we did Cal. Only Fergie masked this with brilliant man managership and motivation. It was criminal to let Pogba leave for one and we were woefully weak in defence by the end. rebuilding was exactly what we needed only Fergie had finally had enough( boy didn't he earn it!) to go through it once more.
We needed a CM, a CD and maybe one more player to give us some depth, certainly not a rebuild.

Guess who's fault we spent the whole summer chasing ghosts and ended up with Fellaini?

Cina

No, it's not so wrong.

So it's ok for you to defend Moyes when we lose but he can't still criticize him when we win?

Tomalonge

That's not exactly how forums work, is it? Only post when the results went the way your view is?

So I guess you won't be posting if Bayern trash us on Wed? (I hope we somehow make it through, but don't really rate our chances) or would you be here making excuses about how they're the best team in the world and it wasn't a surprise?
I do post after losses. The equivalent would be praising the manager after such a thing. I've not done that once as it's common sense.

We just won 4-0 today mate. Why not enjoy it? If you're right there'll be plenty of time to say it later on down the line. Let us enjoy the win though, it looks like you're almost pissed off that we won.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I've not been very harsh with Moyes this season, and believe he'll need more time then most fans will permit. The Mata Kagawa axis looks great, I do have a fear that to some extent Moyes hand was forced by circumstances, and that if our whole squad is fit then we will not see this. He needs to show some balls and drop players to suit the system rather than trying to acommodate all of our big money / high profile stars. Ultimately he needs to sell RVP, and play Rooney as our main 9.

Inigo Montoya

We needed a CM, a CD and maybe one more player to give us some depth, certainly not a rebuild.

Guess who's fault we spent the whole summer chasing ghosts and ended up with Fellaini?
A LB and a striker to compensate for the lack of power Chich and Welbeck give us. That amounts to a rebuild.

PS It wasn't Moyes fault Gill resigned too. The board of the club have to take a huge amount of responsibility but don't let that get int he way of blaming Moyes for out current problems