Are you looking forward to the Newcastle United era?

dinostar77

Im looking forward to Mourinho being appointed and the dour football the geordies will have to put up with.

McTerminator

So have Man City and Chelsea? Do you not know your stuff?
Newcastle have been competitive in the premier league era falling just short of silverware on numerous occasions. Perhaps my knowledge on City and Chelsea is lacking, but I don’t believe they can claim the same pre

How is it a terrible take please? They haven’t won a trophy since 1955. That’s longer than both Chelsea and City had gone when they were bought out. They’ve had stints in lower divisions in recent years just like City. It is absolutely no different.
See above, winning silverware and being relevant and competitive are not mutually exclusive.

Newcastle have as much history and pedigree as Spurs, no one denies that. But just as City, whatever they win from this point onwards won't be based in structure/sportive or collective merits, it will be thanks to the financial doping they get from their owners.

Also, why does having "rich history" exempts Newcastle from being catalogued a plastic club? What's "rich history" in the first place? If another Arab country takes over - let's say Derby County - will that make them immune to that criticism?
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but I don’t fully agree either. Rightly or wrongly people don’t care when City win things because not only is their success plastic their fans are too. The majority of their real fans actually preferred the days of “we lost last week and we lost today”. Newcastle and even Chelsea to a lesser extent are not the same. The issue is with your logic the Leicester win is tarnished and in theory so are Uniteds wins due to the fact that we outspent our opponents. The money we spent wasn’t just given to us by a sugar daddy sure, but how different is it if having a rich history and devoted fans makes no difference?

Again, I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but are you saying United would be a plastic club if Elon Musk comes and buys us and we start winning again?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Newcastle have been competitive in the premier league era falling just short of silverware on numerous occasions. Perhaps my knowledge on City and Chelsea is lacking, but I don’t believe they can claim the same pre
Chelsea finished 4 points off title winners United in 1999 whilst winning a couple of FA Cups and a league cup in the late 90's, early 00's. We were in like 4 or 5 domestic finals in the 6 years directly preceeding the takeover.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

See above, winning silverware and being relevant and competitive are not mutually exclusive.
Chelsea had challenged for the league before being taken over. Newcastle have been in the Championship twice in the last 15 years. That’s just garbage.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but I don’t fully agree either. Rightly or wrongly people don’t care when City win things because not only is their success plastic their fans are too. The majority of their real fans actually preferred the days of “we lost last week and we lost today”. Newcastle and even Chelsea to a lesser extent are not the same. The issue is with your logic the Leicester win is tarnished and in theory so are Uniteds wins due to the fact that we outspent our opponents. The money we spent wasn’t just given to us by a sugar daddy sure, but how different is it if having a rich history and devoted fans makes no difference?
absolute rubbish, I can think of 2 of my City supporting mates who think like that, yes there are fans like that but the majority don't. Plenty (myself included) hardly go anymore for various reasons, mine is time as I just can't justify a full day to go and watch a match when I've loads of other commitments

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I will forever be grateful these guys did not buy our club.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Seems most of the initial noise about them building a new empire has died down for now. They apparently bid silly money for Maddison, but even still - for now it doesn't seem like the new arab overloards want to go the City route and spend billions at will....

Seeing as they were bought by a (state-owned) investment fund... is it possible this will actually turn out to be a more Glazer-type ownership, where they expect profitable returns on their invested money? And less a City model of sportswashing their regime with bucketloads of cash? Or maybe still sportswashing, just doing it while expecting financial returns also. Basically having your democratic minions and milking them, too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems most of the initial noise about them building a new empire has died down for now. They apparently bid silly money for Maddison, but even still - for now it doesn't seem like the new arab overloards want to go the City route and spend billions at will....

Seeing as they were bought by a (state-owned) investment fund... is it possible this will actually turn out to be a more Glazer-type ownership, where they expect profitable returns on their invested money? And less a City model of sportswashing their regime with bucketloads of cash? Or maybe still sportswashing, just doing it while expecting financial returns also. Basically having your democratic minions and milking them, too.
Newcastle isn't an attractive place to go for top players. At least with somewhere like Palace you have the draw of living in London. Added to that there is no need for them to go mad with their money. They're making the correct additions and gradually improving their squad.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The answer to the OP is: no, I do not.

As for what they're doing, it's probably smart of them to take baby steps (baby steps with a cheat code enabled, but yeah).

They're not in a hurry.

Oranges038

Looking forward to all the 90s fans packing away the Chelsea shirts and dusting off the old black and white.

Be nice to see the old Newcastle Broon Ale star again.

Kill3r7

The City model wouldn’t work for them anyhow due to how the rules would be enforced against them. It’s going to take a couple of years before they are ready to challenge for Top6. I think once they get there investment will start to increase.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I guess an investment fund owner is not neccessarily the same as a sugar daddy owner. Rather, both have exactly opposite objectives..

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The PIF has been spending silly money on the LIV recently, so I don't buy the idea that they're opposed to splashing cash on Newcastle. As others have mentioned, it's probably more a case of baby steps and incremental improvement.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
The PIF has been spending silly money on the LIV recently, so I don't buy the idea that they're opposed to splashing cash on Newcastle. As others have mentioned, it's probably more a case of baby steps and incremental improvement.
What's the LIV?

Revaulx

Newcastle isn't an attractive place to go for top players. At least with somewhere like Palace you have the draw of living in London. Added to that there is no need for them to go mad with their money. They're making the correct additions and gradually improving their squad.
A friend went for a job interview in Croydon recently and decided it was such a dump he’d rather stay put.

He currently lives and works in Bradford…

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A friend went for a job interview in Croydon recently and decided it was such a dump he’d rather stay put.

He currently lives and works in Bradford…
Does your mate realise he doesn’t have to live in the exact area he works? London is rather big.:rolleyes:

WirralRed

I’m dreading them becoming another City, their fans where already delusional with how big of a club they are wait u till they get some success. A good friend of mine is a Newcastle fan, Allan Saint-Maximin Could start for any team in the league in his mind up until they where getting linked to all these top players, now he’s shite, has no end product and hopes they sell him (untill the season starts and they haven’t signed anyone no doubt).

ShoePolish

City got their shit right appointing footballing people like Txiki to work for them. Newcastle might have all the money in the world, but unless they have a clear path of where they want to be and how to get there, they wont come close to replicating their success. They should be breaking bank on getting competent backroom staff in, not Maddisons.

Revaulx

Does your mate realise he doesn’t have to live in the exact area he works? London is rather big.:rolleyes:
The job came with a four bedroom house. The walk from house to work involved negotiating subways littered with discarded needles.

Edit: if it were me and the salary was good I’d get them to rent the house out and pay me the income so I could get somewhere in Sydenham or Forest Hill, half way between central London and Croydon.

GlasgowCeltic

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Doubt it. The Saudis are fanatically anti-alcohol.
Yeah, in theory.

In practice, they're hypocritical as feck.

(By which I mean that supposed Wahhabists frequently get stupidly drunk - but also that the Saudi state probably couldn't care less if Newcastle United advertised alcohol in one way or another - I'm sure they'd find a way to justify that if it served their purpose.)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
City got their shit right appointing footballing people like Txiki to work for them. Newcastle might have all the money in the world, but unless they have a clear path of where they want to be and how to get there, they wont come close to replicating their success. They should be breaking bank on getting competent backroom staff in, not Maddisons.
Yeah, I don’t necessarily think they’re trying to take a slow but steady approach — they’ve been targeting a lot of decent-ish names in the top 5 leagues who seem to have knocked them back. I think they’re just 1. Not that appealing (yet); 2. Don’t have the right infrastructure in place to get it all going (also probably yet)

WirralRed

Yeah, in theory.

In practice, they're hypocritical as feck.

(By which I mean that supposed Wahhabists frequently get stupidly drunk - but also that the Saudi state probably couldn't care less if Newcastle United advertised alcohol in one way or another - I'm sure they'd find a way to justify that if it served their purpose.)
Sure they are also lifting the alcohol ban on the new city NEOM they are currently building so it will attract tourists.

Chief123

They will come. They are just biding their time. They know everyone will have their eyes on their wallet. Any player they go for right now will double in price. They’ve not bought Newcastle to make profit. They probably make more money from oil each day than they would from Newcastle in a month.

GlasgowCeltic

Saw this, but is it really comparable? Txiki oversaw Barcelonas golden age, and was brought in to not just make City competitive, but to eventually lure Pep, one of the most successful managers. Ashworth has overseen Brighton become decent.
City started with Mark Hughes, its still early

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sure they are also lifting the alcohol ban on the new city NEOM they are currently building so it will attract tourists.
Someone I know is a DJ. He got a two-week gig, along with other DJs, in Riyadh some years ago (just before Covid struck). Anyway, he was a bit apprehensive as he likes a drink or two (not to mention other things) - but was told this would not be a problem at all.

And it wasn't, of course.

The club where he played was "private", owned by a member of the royal family, and it wasn't just like any Western nightclub, it was well beyond that: people snorting coke openly, etc.

But even in the hotel where he lived, he could easily buy alcohol (room service, just not officially so).

The brighter the picture, the darker the negative - and all that.

WirralRed

Someone I know is a DJ. He got a two-week gig, along with other DJs, in Riyadh some years ago (just before Covid struck). Anyway, he was a bit apprehensive as he likes a drink or two (not to mention other things) - but was told this would not be a problem at all.

And it wasn't, of course.

The club where he played was "private", owned by a member of the royal family, and it wasn't just like any Western nightclub, it was well beyond that: people snorting coke openly, etc.

But even in the hotel where he lived, he could easily buy alcohol (room service, just not officially so).

The brighter the picture, the darker the negative - and all that.
There we have it then, not as strict as the media would have you believe.

sounds like some gig your mate got out there!

crossy1686

career ending
The answer to the OP is: no, I do not.

As for what they're doing, it's probably smart of them to take baby steps (baby steps with a cheat code enabled, but yeah).

They're not in a hurry.
They’re here for sports washing purposes so there’s nothing to be gained by pissing everyone off and winning the league in the next 2 years.

They’ll pump a load of cash in to the city of Newcastle, create jobs and opportunities for the people there, who will in turn will be super grateful, while slowly investing in the team over the years, with probably one big signing a summer.

Not to mention all the journalists they’ll throw back hander’s to like City did on the way up. You couldn’t move for articles on how great they were going to be at one point.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
sounds like some gig your mate got out there!
Yeah - but to be clear, this wasn't a regular club. Pretty fancy clientele - not a standard place. But then again, it wasn't super "private" in the sense that nobody knew about it.

Basically, from what I know, a tourist in Riyadh can easily drink alcohol without being in danger of getting their head chopped off. And that is - clearly - endorsed by the state.

(And - representatives of said state are well known for both drinking and snorting, unsurprisingly.)

Flexdegea

In theory it's going to be really hard for Newcastle to replicate Chelsea and city.

They going up against them, and established clubs who already have money and prestige themselves.

I'm not sure they can just buy their way into a title straight away, when you already got clubs with money to burn and a already high demand transfer market.

And as someone said you need to the right plan in place behind the scenes to get that ball running

Kag

Which is interesting and perhaps a little underserving, considering that Newcastle is a fantastic city to live in and the Northumbrian coast is one of the most beautiful stretches in the UK. London is largely a shit hole, albeit footballers don’t live amongst that, of course.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You couldn’t move for articles on how great they were going to be at one point.
Yeah - this.

We'll see how it all goes, but my prediction is that they'll play it rather slowly.

Unlike City's owners (back in the day, I mean), they have to take the sportswashing thing into consideration: they won't be making any outrageous purchases to begin with, they don't need that kind of attention.

Better to slide in gently.

Oranges038

Doubt it. The Saudis are fanatically anti-alcohol.
They are also anti gambling but have a online gaming site as the official sponsor and Boylepsorts as another partner. "Official Pouring Partner" is Carling of all things.

Don't think it really applies when it comes to making money outside of their home country.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Which is interesting and perhaps a little underserving, considering that Newcastle is a fantastic city to live in and the Northumbrian coast is one of the most beautiful stretches in the UK. London is largely a shit hole, albeit footballers don’t live amongst that, of course.
Most footballers care about looking cool though.