Are you optimistic about the new season?

Ryan7

Not in the slightest and that was before seeing this tripe in pre season.

Castia

Not one bit, with just over 2 weeks of the transfer window left our squad is a right mess. The deadwood needs clearing out and there’s holes all over the pitch mainly LB and RW......we have 5 centre backs on the books (2 Jose has bought for close to 80m) and we’re being linked with Maguire for 65m.....

The club needs a complete overhaul in player recruitment and sales it’s embarrassing at this point.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

How could you be optimistic for the new season, on the pitch we are flat. In the transfer window we are being linked with a £65m for Maguire. Club lacks real direction at the moment, United are playing football like Jose's press conferences.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not in the slightest and that was before seeing this tripe in pre season.

Same, mourinho will be gone next season. Probably at xmas when we’re in 6th place and well out of the title race. Not that we would be in it anyway.

Going to be a long terrible season.

binary bot
Nothing has significantly changed from last season other than a few backroom staff and Fred.

The season all comes down to how much we can get out of Sanchez, Pogba and Martial.

I'm expecting a very similar season to last.

Eddy_JukeZ

The aftermath of the Leicester game will be very interesting.

If we don't win that game, the cafe will implode and rightly so.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not one bit, with just over 2 weeks of the transfer window left our squad is a right mess. Deadwood needs clearing out and there are holes all over the pitch mainly LB and RW......we have 5 centre backs on the books (2 Jose has bought for close to 80m) and we’re being linked with Maguire for 65m.....

The club needs a complete overhaul in player recruitment and sales it’s embarrassing at this point.
Feels a lot like we’re heading into a classic “Jose third season” :(

Eddy_JukeZ

Nothing has significantly changed from last season other than a few backroom staff and Fred.

The season all comes down to how much we can get out of Sanchez, Pogba and Martial.
Yeah we need to see how much we can sell him for.

AndyJ1985

Everything stems from the manager. He's not inspiring and he isn't charismatic or hopeful. He casts a depressing figure, and the football he has us playing is depressing to watch. Our transfer strategy is grim too. You'd have to be high as a kite to feel jolly about the upcoming season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I can see Pereira and Fred making impact in changing midfield dynamics into more suited style for Pogba. Huge worry for me is attacking lineup and lack of true right winger this club deserve to have from quite some time.

The only way to win something is to outscore your opponents and so far only Lukaku looks like a hungry goal poacher in this team.

automaticflare

I agree with post above need an improvement from Sanchez. If he does and provides some creative outlet for us other than pogba could free us up a little.

We are very easy to defend against with our current squad as everyone drops deep for the ball. We need another threat in behind on wide right Imo

What I wouldn’t give for peak Kanchelskis

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not looking forward to watching us play shite football again. Like we have been for most of last season. If pre season is anything to go by then I guess we're in for more of the same.

Matst1

I'm a long time lurker and usually enjoy coming to the caf, but lately this place is just embarrassing, in fact, i'm starting to think it's been taken over by a load of wumming 15 year old Liverpool fans in disguise.

If this performance was after the Leicester game then ok, i kind of get the meltdown, but some of the comments being made after our second friendly game in 90 degree heat with a team consisting of mostly kids, are pathetic. Get behind your fecking team!

Reactions: harshad

Orange Tree

Not at all. It seems like United have made good strides on the academy and backroom staffs. But the first team is still a mess.

Aside from Fred. which seems like a good buy, United haven't actually improved on the most pressing issue, the fullback position.

Attacks are flat, squad is full of fat, and Mourinho cuts an uninspirational figure.

Turkleton

Our results were better than our performances deserved last year. There's been nothing to make me think performance will improve next season and I think we will get less points. Rivals look to be getting stronger.

PvsNP

Honestly, no. I don't think our performances will improve either, it'll just be more of the same old dull football.

Kaarel

Quite optimistic. Fred should do very well for us. With pretty much the same squad and some key players underperforming for parts of the season we still managed to get 2nd and 81 points. Lukaku only scored 16, Sanchez was poor and Pogba was quite bad for a while too. If our big players start performing we can improve on the 81 points easily and it might be good enough to win the league.

trafford1980

I’m neither here nor there. I didn’t think it was possible to feel as apathetic about United as I do right now.

When Moyes and LVG were in charge there were times when I was raging about our situation, but now I just shrug. Mourinho’s taking us in the right direction, sort of.. depending on what direction you had in mind.

I’ve never been so confident in us falling short of the winning the League, whilst at the same time not really being in any danger of dropping out of the Champions League places. A 3rd or 4th place finish awaits us, with a decent if unspectacular cup run as a sidenote. Finish above Liverpool and that’ll be above par for this team as it stands.

A month ago, I was glass-half-full, but now I struggle to remember a more downbeat run into a Premier League season than this, warranted or not. Even LVG’s second pre-season had everyone humming.

I’m not talking about pure transfer muppetry (or lack of,) I’m more worried about the Mourinho’s general demeanour. The murmurs that the board aren’t all in on Mourinho won’t go away. Maybe they’re acute to the fact that outlaying huge amounts on right-now players like Alderweireld, Perisic and Willian could come back to bite us in the event that we don’t win the league, Jose leaves and we’re left with more aging players on Rooneyesque deals.

However, Mourinho is a serial winner who wants who he wants. His focus is right now, his legacy is at stake. His outlook is “Get me who I want and I will deliver the League”. This is admirable, but perhaps who he wants to bring in just simply isn't available. So the Club could find themselves in a position where they're weighing up whether to pay way overs for Jose's second or third choice targets against the balls-up potential meltdown that could follow. The likelihood that both Martial and Shaw are staying fits with this scenario.

I don’t want to harp on about Liverpool, they probably overpaid for their latest bunch but they’re all <25 years old and in the hilarious event that Klopp gets sacked sometime soon are young enough to either adapt at the club in a post-Klopp environment or elsewhere.

All Mourinho’s targets seem to be in for one last deal. To me it makes no sense to mortgage your future for a likely Champions League place finish this season. If a realistic title push was both Jose’s and the Clubs marker this season, then they needed to have set their transfer sights a lot higher than what’s apparent right now.

Reactions: SteveJ

Loublaze

ATLien
I love United but I expect more of the same tepid stuff we've become accustomed to under Mourinho. Looking forward to the beginning of the season still as always.

Frank Grimes

Fred's going to have to be one hell of a player. Seriously though we are missing basically 6/7 of our best starting team, from these players,and our entire central midfield.

De Gea
Jones
Young
Lindelof
Rojo
Dalot
Pogba
Lingard
Matic
Fellaini
Fred
Lukaku
Rashford

kps88

Reminds me of 2006 when we lost Keane, sold Ruud and only signed Carrick. Made even worse by a seemingly unstoppable Chelsea signing Ballack and Shevchencko. I don't think anyone could have predicted what happened that season so football's a funny game like that. We need players like Pogba and Lukaku to go up a level like Ronaldo and Rooney did in 2006.

ken11

Not really. Mourinho is still in charge and unless he decides to upgrade our style of play, I expect more of the same this season. But I'll be watching as many games as I can and hope the lads do well.

EireRed_GS

I personally cant wait to get back to OT for the new season... i think we will look a better team with more confidence after some good performances at the WC (Lukaku/ Pogba / Lingard / Lindelof / Fellaini) But just like everyone else, im worried about how Jose plans to improve this team in the weak areas.. cus its blatently obvious what we are lacking, but there appears to no movement at all on that front.. just negative comments from boss so far. Hopefully they have something unexpected up their sleeve, highly doubt it though

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
At least in other summers there were transfer prospects to get excited about before the reality of crap football hit us in the face again.

buckooo1978

we haven't kicked a ball but the Mourinho cloud is looming and I feel this year could be a very difficult one

Our big hope was some stellar or even just effective signings addressing issues in the squad - lack of a leader at CB, a playmaker in MF/high energy CM, 2 full backs and a natural wide attacker on the right

Fred seems to be a good signing and I am hopeful over Dalot but little else

there seems to be very little positivity around Jose in terms of his satisfaction with the squad, his mood is questionable already and there's nothing to indicate he will be able to get us playing better

Jose has the responsibility to get us playing well.... he needs to shift his attitude towards attack and trying to destroy teams - we looked like a side going through the motions last season and he needs to get this team enjoying their football

if he doesn't he will leave this year in a shitstorm like we've never seen

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Weird feeling. I am always optimist when my team plays. Before world cup i was sure that croatia can win it. With moyes and lvg i thought that we can be champions. But this year i am pessimistic.
City is strong as last season so we must have amazing season. We must win at least 30 games plus couple of draws. I don't think that this squad is strong enough for that. Defence is not upgraded, right winger is not bought and deadwood is still here. And in this 2 weeks i don't think that we will change much. Maybe darmian will leave and one player will come. Also jose seems unhappy with squad( lack of signings). So, for me, this is not looking good.

iamkiranks

I've always been optimistic about an upcoming season. Feels strange to be on the other side this time.

- Still haven't addressed RW, CB and LB issues
- Not been able to ship out the deadwood
- Most probably it will be Valencia, Dalot handling RB and Young Shaw handling LB.
- Mourinho, second summer running, not getting the players that he wants
- Our best players missing the start of the season

Unless some transfer madness happens over the next two weeks, i.e getting a new RW, CB and an LB (I think Jose's is happy with Young and Shaw though), we will find ourselves in the Top 4 dogfight come January.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not even the lack of transfers that's most burdensome for me. It's this nagging fear that we are going to witness the same soul destroying football.
If you told offered me 4th but we some swashbuckling football with loads of goals, I'd take it right now.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I was optimistic at the start of the last 4 seasons and look where that got me.

Like most fans I’m dreading the coming season but there are obvious scraps to cling on to, mostly “what if”s. Sanchez, Pogba and Martial (if he stays) might deliver on expectations at last. Fred might be the missing jigsaw piece.

The fullback problem just looks unsolveable to me without signings. And now Valencia for all of his faults has got himself injured.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Despite all the doom and gloom, and - yes, the football isn’t going to be pretty - I still believe we can challenge for 3rd place this season #believe

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Despite all the doom and gloom, and - yes, the football isn’t going to be pretty - I still believe we can challenge for 3rd place this season #believe
Expecting some white text here. What self respecting United fan is happy with third place?

Stubble

Valencia's injury should sound a warning to the club on relying on two 30+ players as our first choice full backs. Shaw doesn't look right still and Dalot is a 19 year old kid. If Darmian is sold and we get injuries we could end up relying on make shift defensive minded FBs in Rojo and Lindelof (Jose will prefer this over kids like TFM). Why yet another centre back is deemed a priority over this situation just baffles me..

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Valencia's injury should sound a warning to the club on relying on two 30+ players as our first choice full backs. Shaw doesn't look right still and Dalot is a 19 year old kid. If Darmian is sold and we get injuries we could end up relying on make shift defensive minded FBs in Rojo and Lindelof (Jose will prefer this over kids like TFM). Why yet another centre back is deemed a priority over this situation just baffles me..
Valencia and Young as first choice, with Dalot and Shaw as back-ups isn’t as disastrous a situation as a lot of people seem to think. If we don’t sign a LB it must be because we think Shaw still has what it takes. Which is definitely possible.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Valencia and Young as first choice, with Dalot and Shaw as back-ups isn’t as disastrous a situation as a lot of people seem to think. If we don’t sign a LB it must be because we think Shaw still has what it takes. Which is definitely possible.
Going by Jose in the past he'd be far more likely to put Rojo on the left and Young/Jones on the right than stick Shaw in the team. Not sure he has any faith in him anymore, guess we'll see.