Arjen Robben (retired). Now unretired!

FujiVice

Robben and Duff were the closest thing to Kanchelskis and Giggs I'd seen in the Premiership. Remember being absolutely gutted we didnt guy them both (which was a strong possibility at one stage.) Big mistake from Chelsea selling Robben. What a career he's had.

Still looks like a 94 year old Ninja Turtle, though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Brilliant player. Bad miss in the World Cup final though.

Robben and Duff were the closest thing to Kanchelskis and Giggs I'd seen in the Premiership. Remember being absolutely gutted we didnt guy them both (which was a strong possibility at one stage.) Big mistake from Chelsea selling Robben. What a career he's had.

Still looks like a 94 year old Ninja Turtle, though.
He forced the move from what I remember,when leaving Chelsea.Plus Chelsea were content with the fee and the fact his time on the sidelines were getting longer and longer.
Really,he only regained consistency,with his form and fitness,once he joined Munich under LVG.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
At his peak (I think somewhere around 2013-2014) you could argue he was a top 5 player in the world. Absolutely menacing winger with great stats too.

Won a CL, reached another 2 CL finals, reached the WC final + semifinal, multiple league titles.

When did he actually develop this trait of cutting inside from the right?
Predominantly at Munich.At PSV,Chelsea and Madrid he was usually used out on the left or just off the forward line.
But with Lahm and then Kimmich moving so far forward as right sided fullbacks it gave Robben space to cut in and utilise his ability even more,much like Ribery on the opposite side.

Since Beckham and Giggs I cant remember such a influential,consistent wing pairing as Robben and Ribery.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It was unreal to have him in our team at his peak. Whenever he was on the field, I was absolutely confident that we had a chance to win. He would find a way. Incredible player. Best left foot I've ever seen.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Injuries.

Remember reading that Bayern pinpointed his injuries were caused by diet issues and they changed his diet which fixed a lot of the issues.
I wonder what kind of diet issues this is. You'd imagine that top athetles in the 21st century had nailed down eating a healthy diet. Rooney with his fish'n chips and beer doesn't count.

redshaw

Should've won player of the year about 5-6 years back.

I'm sort of glad he decided to retire, wouldn't want him suffering with leg problems later on.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I remember being absolutely gutted when Chelsea pipped us to his signature. They literally came out of nowhere. Amazing player.
Peter Kenyon should have been sued, it was blindingly obvious he undermined us and had eveything settled with Roman way before he left and then took all our intel with him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Was gutted when we sold him and replaced with SWP and then Malouda.

Sure, he was injured a lot, could see the ability though.

Then as soon as he left, seemed didn't get injuries anymore.

Not keeping him longer a massive error.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder what kind of diet issues this is. You'd imagine that top athetles in the 21st century had nailed down eating a healthy diet. Rooney with his fish'n chips and beer doesn't count.
Not sure on the details but Djokovic had diet issues as well until 2010. Think it was in 2011 that he went on a crazy run after as well. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/revealed-the-diet-that-saved-novak-djokovic-8775333.html Would imagine it is quite rare nowadays.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Was gutted when we sold him and replaced with SWP and then Malouda.

Sure, he was injured a lot, could see the ability though.

Then as soon as he left, seemed didn't get injuries anymore.

Not keeping him longer a massive error.
That's not true, by the way. Robben was injured a lot when with us. I have no idea where this rumour comes from, that we somehow found a way to manage the injuries. As far as I'm concerned, they were as bad as before. I think it's just a matter of perception, really, because injuries feel a lot worse and longer, when your own players have them.

Zoo

At one point he was top 3 in the world. Brilliant player.

fps

An absolute destroyer of a player, one of the only ones who could take a whole team out by himself. Ridiculous, and a top, top professional in the way he worked and trained to maintain himself despite injuries.

Champagne Football

One of the most exciting players to watch in history.

He was honestly Ronaldo and Messi level when he was on form and injury free. He was also one of the main reason for Mourinho's huge success, when Jose first arrived in the PL.

K13

I think Gerrard had to cut out tomatoes because they were causing him knee pain when a teenager so not always the unhealthy stuff that causes the issues.

Moriarty

I think Gerrard had to cut out tomatoes because they were causing him knee pain when a teenager so not always the unhealthy stuff that causes the issues.
During the summer months, my missus would get horrible joint pain. Her doctor ran some tests and when they proved negative, explored her diet. She loves tomatoes and she was told to cut them out for a while. The joint pain vanished. I'd never heard of such a thing before.

antohan

That's not true, by the way. Robben was injured a lot when with us. I have no idea where this rumour comes from, that we somehow found a way to manage the injuries. As far as I'm concerned, they were as bad as before. I think it's just a matter of perception, really, because injuries feel a lot worse and longer, when your own players have them.
You watch your team every week, that's why. As far as I can tell, he was fit when it counted (CL late stages, World Cups). He probably missed lots of cup and league games most of us wouldn't be watching anyway and, Bayern being so dominant, we wouldn't notice you falling off a cliff in the league table when absent.

antohan

During the summer months, my missus would get horrible joint pain. Her doctor ran some tests and when they proved negative, explored her diet. She loves tomatoes and she was told to cut them out for a while. The joint pain vanished. I'd never heard of such a thing before.
Tomatoes are a big no-no if you have high uric acid, which leaves crystals in your joints and in acute cases produces gout.

Probably flared up in Summer as dehydration is a factor. High uric acid = drink plenty of water (and no, soft drinks aren't water, very much the opposite effect).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why didn't he go to China or US for a season or two? Weird.
He's just a simple guy from the Dutch rural north. Dont think he gives a feck about making even more money and he's too competitive for a shite league.

Acole9

Outstanding
Fair play to him for not going for a big pay day in one of the retirement leagues.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He's just a simple guy from the Dutch rural north. Dont think he gives a feck about making even more money and he's too competitive for a shite league.
Yeah, never striked me like the type of guy who would want something like this. Also think he wouldn't want to move his family to China or Qatar.

Chairman Steve

In my tin foil hat from teenager days, I still blame Peter Kenyon for missing out on him. That bastard took our transfer target list down south to the Russian and just outbid us on them later down the line.

K13

Same here. Apparently they are quite acidic.

Tomatoes are a big no-no if you have high uric acid, which leaves crystals in your joints and in acute cases produces gout.

Probably flared up in Summer as dehydration is a factor. High uric acid = drink plenty of water (and no, soft drinks aren't water, very much the opposite effect).
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise it could lead to gout.

antohan

In my tin foil hat from teenager days, I still blame Peter Kenyon for missing out on him. That bastard took our transfer target list down south to the Russian and just outbid us on them later down the line.
I think he screwed us over Goofy and always had a notion he was rumbled during the Cristiano deal. Remember we were keeping tabs and planned to sign him only the next season? Then suddenly we fastracked it.

Moriarty

Thanks for that. On the soft drinks issue, the first time I went to India, I met up with a Canadian girl who wouldn't drink the water, even the bottled variety. She drank only pop and, within a few days, she ended up in hospital with severe dehydration.

Makaveli1

That goal in 2009/10 haunted me for a while, grew to love watching him play though.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One of my favourite players.

Glad to have followed his entire Bayern career, his impact on the team was tremendous. His presence elevated the whole offense, not only in terms of being a dangerous attacker himself, but direction and grit as a whole. That effect could often be seen instantly when he was subbed in.

Fine wing playmaker as well, had much more in his locker than the shooting moves he'll be mainly remembered for.

Last edited:

SATA

Might be controversial but i think other than longevity, he was for me probably better than Giggs in their primes. Where's Ribery going by the way?

UpWithRivers

Yeah sure he doesn't care about money whatsoever. And even if he doesn't, which is highly doubtful he should care about football and playing for as long as he can. Even if he's too scared to go to China then a year in LA is surely a nice move.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah sure he doesn't care about money whatsoever. And even if he doesn't, which is highly doubtful he should care about football and playing for as long as he can. Even if he's too scared to go to China then a year in LA is surely a nice move.
Robben stated he isnt interested in playing at a low level. If he plays he wants to play at the highest level. China is just a payday and so is LA. He doesnt care about making even more money. That's not the same as caring about money in general.

Swiss_Red89

Sensational player.

Such a shame we didnt get him 2009 when Ronaldo left, i think he obviously would've been a fan favourite and a United Legend by now.

One of the most impressive things with him is, after any of his (many) injuries he always came back as the same player and tore the opponents apart as always. He never lost his explosiveness and speed.

Ban

Great player he was.

Loved a dive or 2 it has to be said.

That goal, volley at OT in 2010 still hurts me.