Arjen Robben (retired). Now unretired!

VJ1762

What a player! That left foot was magical. If only him and RVP had managed to win the world cup.

Nico87

The article say he was planning to play on but couldn’t find a club, I find the surprising did he nosedive completely last year?, because he was still too quality last time I watched him. We should have been insistent on him being part of the Ronaldo sale.

Irwin99

Fantastic player, one of the best wingers in the world for quite some time. I remember his first season for Chelsea when he terrorised defences in the PL.

I can't recall why it didn't happen for him at Madrid or why his last season at Chelsea wasn't great but the move to Bayern really propelled his career.

billybee99

The most exciting player not named Messi or Ronaldo that I have seen. To see him on a 50 yard dribble at top speed was a sight to behold.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Such a beast really. Hated when he knocked out for Bayern in 2010 with a worldie. It's shame we never moved on him when we sold Ronaldo, maybe he would never have come, but if he him on the RW instead of Valencia we would have been a whole lot better.

Definitely one the best RW of all time and one the best in his generation. Watching him tear Spain apart in the World Cup was amazing.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
All time great without a doubt. Shame about so many injuries, would have liked to see him do a couple of extra seasons in Holland before retiring

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Brilliant player and an absolute pest against us. Wish we'd signed him.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fantastic player, one of the best wingers in the world for quite some time. I remember his first season for Chelsea when he terrorised defences in the PL.

I can't recall why it didn't happen for him at Madrid or why his last season at Chelsea wasn't great but the move to Bayern really propelled his career.
Injuries.

Remember reading that Bayern pinpointed his injuries were caused by diet issues and they changed his diet which fixed a lot of the issues.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Awesome player. Feel sorry for him that he flunked it in the WC final after so many brilliant performances at both club and national level.

Scoring that chance and Spain’s dominance over that period could have been completely different.

DoomSlayer

Incredible player, yet I still strongly despise him for that goal in the CL against us. :mad: I'm certain we would have beaten Inter in the final.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of the best transfers of modern times, Bayern were so lucky! I'm going to miss him.

mu4c_20le

Diving twat. I disliked him less after he left Chelsea, but boy oh boy was he light on his feet

Stadjer

The article say he was planning to play on but couldn’t find a club, I find the surprising did he nosedive completely last year?, because he was still too quality last time I watched him. We should have been insistent on him being part of the Ronaldo sale.
No he didnt. He was still a very good player last year and would be the starting right winger for Manchester United. If fit he would likely even be one of the best right wingers in the Premier League.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Third best player of his generation. Had all the talent in rhe world, womder what could've been if he had been less injury prone.

Still, amazing career. Should've really won a Ballon D'Or.

No he didnt. He was still a very good player last year and would be the starting right winger for Manchester United. If fit he would likely even be one of the best right wingers in the Premier League.
True but he was just completely unreliable due to his injuries. I think he simply was no longer in the physical condition for professional football.

Irwin99

Injuries.

Remember reading that Bayern pinpointed his injuries were caused by diet issues and they changed his diet which fixed a lot of the issues.
Wow, i didn't know that, especially diet issues. I wonder why Chelsea and Madrid didn't pick up what was causing his problems. Surely they had top quality doctors/nutritionists too.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm quite shocked he couldn't find a club. Perhaps he s not a money whore and still wanted to make a proper impact somewhere in a good league and didn't wanna to China, the US or Middle East. I'd have taken him at United for a season. One of the few players who seemed to bounce back into form near instantly every time he returned from an injury. That alone is a gift.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
One of the best transfers of modern times, Bayern were so lucky! I'm going to miss him.
Aye, Robben and Ribéry for just ~€50 million combined was quite literally daylight robbery, can't think of a more influential and long-standing wide duo since peak Giggs and Beckham. Feels like the end of an era at Bayern, really — Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Robben and Ribéry all gone in the space of few seasons...Müller, Neuer and a couple others remain as the last vestiges of the all-conquering Treble winners!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Was a period where he was my favourite player in the world, around the time the Dutch got to the WC semi finals/bayern won the cl. He was so exciting to watch, knew he was always going for the cut inside and shoot but defenders could never cope with it anyway.

Lightning fast, wand of a left foot, and an incredible dribbler. Basically everything you want in a wide player. Having him and Ribery on both wings was basically cheating for Bayern, how do you handle both of them?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Having him on one wing and Ribery on another was just unfair on the opposition.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
One of my absolute favourite players to watch.

And, I'm gonna state something a few might find controversial...

Something of a precursor to what we would come to see from Messi - the left-footed wide forward who bursts forward with the ball, cuts inside on the edge of the box, and invariably scores.

Obviously Messi took that to ridiculous new levels, and Robben had more to his game than just that, but there is a clear line from Robben to Messi I think.

Great player, hope he continues and goes into coaching, because I'm thinking his teams would play exciting footy!

mancan92

Honestly ability wise he is just behind Messi and Ronaldo I would say he was probably 3rd best of his generation. Only thing holding him back was his injuries.

He was just one of those players that was purely unplayable just nothing could be done once he turned on his left foot. Just one inevitable ending.

Hope he gets the recognition he deserves because he is definitely an all time great.

Bojan11

Injury free he’s behind Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta and Xavi as the best in his generation.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm quite shocked he couldn't find a club. Perhaps he s not a money whore and still wanted to make a proper impact somewhere in a good league and didn't wanna to China, the US or Middle East.
He approached Toronto FC and was turned down so there is no imaginary high horses here.