Gaming Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Chairman Steve

FromSoft and Miyazaki’s new game due out in 2023.

If I’m correct on this, one of the guys who co-writes The Expanse novels confirmed he’d done some writing for an upcoming FromSoft game too, which would probably be this one.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I remember playing some of the old ones, and just never getting the hang of it. There was a few mech games like that actually. Above my intellectual capabilities.

Im gonna get this though and actually learn how to play

Chairman Steve

Reviews are out ahead of Fridays release. Pretty good game apparently.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Hope it‘s great - always wanted a good mecha game since mechwarrior in the 90s.

Still going to wait a couple of weeks before I buy it, no point now with BG3 still running hot on my pc.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Hope it‘s great - always wanted a hood mecha game since mechwarrior in the 90s.

Still going to wait a couple of weeks before I buy it, no point now with BG3 still running hot on my pc.
Absolutely brilliant games. The DLC to 2 where you get to use the Bear one was sublime!

This should be a very decent game, I'm looking forward to it.

Redlambs

Probably the only honest reviewer in that list to dare to critically review a FromSoftware game with some objectivity.
Scoring something out of 5 is never going to be good, but that review reads fine without actually playing the game much. Though I will say I've just started it myself, but already on the "floaty movement" front I think many won't understand this is very much like Returnal in that it's a movement game not a souls one. I might be wrong, but on very first impressions I think people could be expecting something waaay different and as such are looking at some aspects wrong.

I see a lot of raging online about the first boss so I'm intrigued to get to it and see what the fuss is about!

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Couldn‘t resist, impulsive buy101. Not totally sure about it now but I like that 90s arcardey feeling I got initially.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Probably the only honest reviewer in that list to dare to critically review a FromSoftware game with some objectivity.
How do you make an objective review? Unless it has no opinion on the game the entire essence of a review is it being a subjective opinion on something surely?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Couldn‘t resist, impulsive buy101. Not totally sure about it now but I like that 90s arcardey feeling I got initially.
Think I'll get it too. I like Fromsoft and who doesn't like big customizable robots.

Chairman Steve

Got this on my Steam Deck and it plays really well. Fun game once you get your head around all the buttons and master the camera.

There are training missions as well as a testing arena for your mech (or AC as the game calls it).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That first boss kicked my arse a few times, I like it. Seems nice and difficult.

Chairman Steve

That first boss kicked my arse a few times, I like it. Seems nice and difficult.
Me too. Took my 5th attempt to down it. I think the trick is to stay under it, stay close to it and flank it. Every time I attacked it head on I got fecked up by bullets and missiles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Me too. Took my 5th attempt to down it. I think the trick is to stay under it, stay close to it and flank it. Every time I attacked it head on I got fecked up by bullets and missiles.
I actually stayed close to it and melee'd it. That does a lot of damage. Also took me 5 tries I think.

Redlambs

I'm enjoying it, but one thing From escape criticism for is that god awful ancient engine. They still haven't figured out not tying everything to framerate, they definitely still feck up FOV calculations and the interface is absolutely woeful as always.

Especially on PC, no FOV slider and not allowing Bloom to be fully turned off when it's clearly used wrong and washes everything out? But you allow both those things in photo mode? Come on now :lol:

The game itself is good so far though, I can't remember the last one I played but I definitely think newcomers largely expected something it's not. As I said above, it's a movement game more than a shooting one. Once you crack the idea that there's no real point in actually trying to aim and just focus on positioning/dodging (and occasional button mashing, like the first boss loads have raged over) then it clicks much more.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I fecking love this game. Never really played any others, but the customization and different playstyles it facilitates is great. It feels very fluid.

quadrant

This game is amazing. Strange how reminiscent it is of the Souls games despite playing and looking so different. Only on Chapter 2 but the bosses are brilliant so far.

Chairman Steve

That end of Chapter 1 boss (Balteus) was a pretty steep difficulty spike I must say. Anyone stuck on that I would strongly advise to change your weapons to lasers and energy based weapons, because that made all the difference between barely fecking damaging it to taking it down with your 4th try of using that approach and reading the phase two attack patterns.

It’s a really fun game for me still. I stumbled upon a secret log in one of the missions last night by accident too, so I’m keen to explore some of the previous missions on replays, as well as later missions. You can probably encounter secret AC bosses and get their gear or something, as well as those chips to boost your stats.

Last edited:

quadrant

That end of Chapter 1 boss (Balteus) was a pretty steep difficulty spike I must say. Anyone stuck on that I would strongly advise to change your weapons to lasers and energy based weapons, because that made all the difference between barely fecking damaging it to taking it down with your 4th try of using that approach and reading the phase two attack patterns.

It’s a really fun game for me still. I stumbled upon a secret log in one of the missions last night by accident too, so I’m keen to explore some of the previous missions on replays, as well as later missions. You can probably encounter secret AC bosses and get their gear or something, as well as those chips to boost your stats.
Yeah, I had to go away and do a bunch of mission replays in order to get the credits for dual plasma guns, but that shredded his shield, and once that's down its a much more approachable fight. I reached the Sea Spider last night, only tried it a few times, but I could tell that was going to be another roadblock. Will go back to it tonight.

Best game I've played so far this year.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This game has me screaming feck you at bosses when I finally beat them after 89 tries harder than Dark Souls :lol:

Especially tuning your mech until something works is awesome.

sport2793

This game has me screaming feck you at bosses when I finally beat them after 89 tries harder than Dark Souls :lol:

Especially tuning your mech until something works is awesome.
I thought the bosses in this game were harder than Elden Ring. Elden Ring gave you the tools to beat and often times cheese bosses but this game gives you very little. Balteus was probably the hardest one although CEL 240 just pissed me off too much. Glad it's over but don't even have the bandwidth to try and S-tier some of these missions now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought the bosses in this game were harder than Elden Ring. Elden Ring gave you the tools to beat and often times cheese bosses but this game gives you very little. Balteus was probably the hardest one although CEL 240 just pissed me off too much. Glad it's over but don't even have the bandwidth to try and S-tier some of these missions now.
The Sea Spider gave me lots of trouble with that awakward melee attack and the weird doom wheel attack.

No way I'm S ranking everything either. Probably. Maybe.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A heavy set up with 2 miniguns and 2 10 missle rocket batteries on the back just wrecks everything. I love it.

quadrant

A heavy set up with 2 miniguns and 2 10 missle rocket batteries on the back just wrecks everything. I love it.
Since I stumbled across twin Gatling guns and twin Songbirds while trying to get past Sea Spider, I've not looked back. Ridiculously powerful set up. Cleared ranks A and S in the Arena without losing a match.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Since I stumbled across twin Gatling guns and twin Songbirds while trying to get past Sea Spider, I've not looked back. Ridiculously powerful set up. Cleared ranks A and S in the Arena without losing a match.
I prefer the 10 missiles over the Songbirds afainst nimbler stuff as the latter tend to be dodged more often.

I did beat the Sea spider with em though. Great for stunning it.