Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That needs to be corrected, but not right now, this season is about the big one, the league title.
You more likely to go back and get spanked 10-2 or something by Bayern in the CL so this was an easy chance to get some silverware. You were favorites to win it and went out at home.

If your squad cant handle 2 games a week then its gonna be a hard ride next season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I mean, its not that it was life threating injury or something. I mean I've seen it all but this kind of documentary, what the heck.
It's just some content for the website / YouTube. I'm not sure why it's getting made into such a big deal. Have you seen some of the stuff that gets put on these channels? We currently have Frimmy driving around the training centre on a golf cart with a player doing Colney Carpool ffs.
I quite like the behind the scenes stuff. There was obviously the Amazon documentary l, but there was also a club one round the kids at Hale End on YouTube that was a bit more raw that I quite liked as well l.

As for last night, I'm very disappointed to go out. The FA Cup loss to City I could handle, because let's be honest, it's City at the Etihad. More so, it's the manner of how we went out. To have what effectively became a game where all you need is any sort of victory at home to go through, and we were 1-0 up, yeah I'm very disappointed. Our possession was poor, our passing slack, our intensity off a bit.

I think the worst thing was the performance 2nd half, and the confirmation that there are certain 'squad' players still not quite good enough. Our control and attacking play drops levels when Odegaard is out. He's still a fairly young lad but I'm yet to be convinced by Vieira, there needs to be more from the likes of him. I need to congratulate Sporting though, the 2nd half was up there with the best away performances at The Emirates this season, although we probably fed into that.

So while I understand some Arsenal fans not too bothered about being eliminated (there were a good few wanting to play a full reserve team pre game and will use the Saliba injury as a reason why), I am disappointed. Partly because people are right, we need to improve our European results, they should be better for a club our size.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You more likely to go back and get spanked 10-2 or something by Bayern in the CL so this was an easy chance to get some silverware. You were favorites to win it and went out at home.

If your squad cant handle 2 games a week then its gonna be a hard ride next season.
We weren't favourites to win it, you guys were bookies favourites to win it yesterday morning according to Talksport.

foolsgold

Honestly, if we were top of the league, everyone on here would be screaming for ETH to play the kids and give up on the Europa League.
!00% correct and I absolutely understand why Arsenal fans are entirely focused on the league.

if you offered me the chance to swap places with them, have Utd 5 pts clear at the top of the table and out of everything else, I'd take it in heartbeat.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's not a big deal but it is cringe.
Have you seen most of the social media and website content from all clubs? Signing reveals, stupid Q&A's and games, like I said we have Colney Carpool. We live in the cringe generation I'm afraid, and it's going to get worse. At least a return from injury is a serious subject and not driving about in a golf cart singing Justin Bieber songs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
We weren't favourites to win it, you guys were bookies favourites to win it yesterday morning according to Talksport.
Fecking hell. You wouldn’t put Arsenal down as one of the strong favourites?

Is this another one of those ‘happy with 4th’ faux humble shite?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Who? 5 goals Gabriel Jesus?
Yeah, if you couldn't see he was one of our best players pre injury then I don't know what to say. It's not his goals, its his all round play and bringing others into the game, but you probably know that, at least as a football fan I hope you do!

Fecking hell. You wouldn’t put Arsenal down as one of the strong favourites?

Is this another one of those ‘happy with 4th’ faux humble shite?
He didn't say among the favourites, he said favourites, there's a subtle difference there. They were questioning why Utd would be favourites over Arsenal on Talksport yesterday, and last night showed the reason why. Even with a couple of changes, something just doesn't click at times for us in Europe. We underachieve, and it's a big annoyance of mine.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yeah, if you couldn't see he was one of our best players pre injury then I don't know what to say. It's not his goals, its his all round play and bringing others into the game, but you probably know that, at least as a football fan I hope you do!

He didn't say among the favourites, he said favourites, there's a subtle difference there. They were questioning why Utd would be favourites over Arsenal on Talksport yesterday, and last night showed the reason why. Even with a couple of changes, something just doesn't click at times for us in Europe. We underachieve, and it's a big annoyance of mine.
It’s his job to score goals and he always misses big chances.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I guess my only question is why, after over 3 years, doesn’t Arteta have a squad that seems capable of playing more than once a week yet?

I think some Arsenal fans are coming across very arrogantly as they did when they lost the FA Cup game.

Everyone here appreciates how important the league is (we’ve won 20 so know better than anyone) but it seems so forced that some are pretending they are happy Arsenal went out whilst making out the club isn’t capable of playing twice a week yet.
Up to last season we were still getting rid of players, we have a very good team now but no squad depth, I think we ll spend big on the midfield in the summer and be in a better place to challenge for everything next season

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
But Arsenal winning the league doesn't mean they are back.

Even Leicester won the league. Even mighty Klopp won just 1 league title, what makes you think Arteta will win multiples titles?

To me, when you look at this keenly, it looks like a unusual season for Arsenal in the league. Leicester style.
Especially the mentality of putting everything in the bag for the league, this will mean 2 things next season

1. Either, you've won the league then heads drop because the players have achieved beyond their dreams thus not trying anymore as they know last season everything was perfect. Luck, opponents, injuries, etc

2. City wins the league, heads drop because they question their abilities believe they are the unluckiest team ever.

You saw after Fa cup elimination, Arsenal team started to have questions marks.

Belief is fragile, and Arsenal are operating in space of it's "our lucky season on the league"...

Question,

Let's say Arsenal win the league this season, next season can arsenal be 6 points behind the leaders in March 2024 and have the conviction of overtaking the leaders, (be it City, Liverpool, United) and win the league again? You know it's impossible.
Liverpool were absolutely back when they won the league. They’ve been one of the most feared teams in Europe in the last 5 years and have won everything in that time. Their time is gone now but they definitely did come back, after 30 years of waiting.
Leicester were never there in the first place to come back, their story will never be repeated.
If you win the league you are back at the top, how long you stay there depends on what you do when you get there.

Djemba-Djemba

Arsenal really are terrible in Europe.

Even with their best sides under Wenger they never really did anything.

Only one European trophy is mental.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Vieira sacked, makes Sunday even more interesting. We lost at Everton after they got dyche and his bounce.

Real Name

Have you seen most of the social media and website content from all clubs? Signing reveals, stupid Q&A's and games, like I said we have Colney Carpool. We live in the cringe generation I'm afraid, and it's going to get worse. At least a return from injury is a serious subject and not driving about in a golf cart singing Justin Bieber songs.
Yeah, true, ridiculous times I'm afraid.

TheReligion

Abusive
Up to last season we were still getting rid of players, we have a very good team now but no squad depth, I think we ll spend big on the midfield in the summer and be in a better place to challenge for everything next season
So yeah. Why is this taking nearly 4 years?

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Liverpool were absolutely back when they won the league. They’ve been one of the most feared teams in Europe in the last 5 years and have won everything in that time. Their time is gone now but they definitely did come back, after 30 years of waiting.
Leicester were never there in the first place to come back, their story will never be repeated.
If you win the league you are back at the top, how long you stay there depends on what you do when you get there.

On the bolded part, for how long will that be peddled here.

Every season there are by default 4 trophies for all the big 6 teams to win. (

League
European title
Fa Cup
Carabao cup

Since Klopp has been at Liverpool, in 2015. They have been

32 trophies to be won by Liverpool by default.

He has won only 4 times. 1 League 1 Fa Cup 1 Carabao Cup 1 UCL

The rest 28 times he failed to win any of those trophies.

Yes not all trophies are same, because the opposition are different, but this narrative of he has won it all should not be peddled here.

In Comparison United since 2015 have been in 32 competitions, have won 4 trophies in that period.

Fa Cup, Europa, Carabao, Carabao. Yes not same trophies but you can see the numbers.

Even Leicester have won League and Fa Cup in that period.
Even if Arsenal win the league this season, Arteta will have Fa Cup and League.

In short, City are like United of Ferguson years.

Just finish above City you will win the league. That's the benchmark.
City can't finish 3rd.
More time than most, City will finish top.

So winning league titles is not possible as long as Pep is around. You win one then city comes back win 2, crisis hits your team, other team overtake your team cycle continue.

So in short it's extremely paramount to win other trophies as you chase the league, or else you will end up like Klopp, with a golden team but massively without honours.

Be afraid, as I say it, Arsenal might finish the season trophyless. Imagine after all the hard work. Saka and Odergaard having no trophy in 2 months time. That's how crucial it is to win other trophies as long as Pep is around.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
are you supposed to watch “saka at the dentist,” before this one, or do they not really overlap? i don’t want to be watching jesus at the doctors and be thinking i’ve missed some important plot narrative.

TheReligion

Abusive
are you supposed to watch “saka at the dentist,” before this one, or do they not really overlap? i don’t want to be watching jesus at the doctors and be thinking i’ve missed some important plot narrative.
If Jesus only had a good doctor all those years ago history would be very different.

Then again I know you’re a big fan of hot cross buns.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It’s his job to score goals and he always misses big chances.
It's not his main job. It's his job to make the team better and help them win games. That's his prime job. He's never going to be an out and out scorer, he's more a facilitator, like Frimino at Liverpool.

The Corinthian

He's a good player but it's not the same drop off if he's missing as it would be for say...Fulham missing Palhinha. It'd be interesting to see how you guys play with Saka or Odegaard missing (your two most important players imo).

We're splitting hairs here - Arsenal are top of the league and have had a much easier schedule compared to Man Utd at this point. How you (as a fan) don't think you're favourites is crazy. I don't pay too much mind to what TalkSport say.

Chief123

All that mattered this week was the palace game. Last night was an unnecessary distraction that went horribly wrong. Win on Sunday and go 8 clear into the international break, is huge for our season.
120 mins and injuries don’t help though, it’s a massive game Sunday.
:lol:

Dominos

United won the EL, great achievement but no one said United are back where they belong on the back of it.
It does seem odd to me the importance that's placed on winning any trophy (over league position), given that Mourinho's and Van Gaal's time here is widely considered to be a dismal failure, despite them both winning a trophy. Seems to be a bit of cognitive dissonance regarding this subject.

Realistically no one looks back at Mourinho and LVG stints here fondly, we look at it as a complete waste of 5 years.

The idea that winning a trophy breeds a "winning mentality" that leads to future success doesn't stand up to much scrutiny when you look at the trophies we've won post-SAF which has then been followed by disaster after disaster seasons and sacked managers. And then you look further at managers who have won domestic trophies over last 15 years who never get any credit for it and has done almost nothing for their reputation in Laudrup, Juande Ramos, Redknapp, Martinez, Rodgers, Dalglish etc.

Ultimately United could win a trophy every year for the next 20 years but if it's not the league or CL we'll be sat here tearing our hair out that we can't get to where we want to be.

The Corinthian

All that mattered this week was the palace game. Last night was an unnecessary distraction that went horribly wrong. Win on Sunday and go 8 clear into the international break, is huge for our season.
120 mins and injuries don’t help though, it’s a massive game Sunday.
:lol:

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
If after that harsh draw in the CL City is not affected in the race of the PL and wins it, we can say that Arsenal bottled it!

mav_9me

All credit to @GoonerBear @GoonerGirl and @Buxton for engaging here after a defeat. Most of the other fans from page 69 and 70 are nowhere to be seen after a defeat.

It was worse after their run of defeats/draws to City, Everton and Brentford. Except @GoonerGirly no one was to found that time.

Zero respect for opposition fans (most of these Arsenal newbies) who are only coming here to gloat and troll after wins. Hope they don't get promoted.

Fridge chutney

It is not a great look that Arsenal got knocked out of Europe, but it should help them in the race for the League.

At some point they would have encountered, two of Juve, Sevilla, Roma and us, and that would equal a month's worth of mentally taxing midweek fixtures. Imagine playing United in the semis while trying to balance that horrible May schedule in chasing the league. Injuries would be a greater risk (see last night), it would be a tough pill to swallow if they lost to us midweek and then had to play City or Chelsea at the weekend, and even if they won it would take a lot of mental energy and physical exertion because you know ETH would go all out.

Also Arsenal were not favourites for Europa, we were after we got through against Barca (although it was close).

bosskeano

ffs...watch them bottle the league to city. it would be the fairy tale ending and the death of arsenal.

TheReligion

Abusive
All credit to @GoonerBear @GoonerGirl and @Buxton for engaging here after a defeat. Most of the other fans from page 69 and 70 are nowhere to be seen after a defeat.

It was worse after their run of defeats/draws to City, Everton and Brentford. Except @GoonerGirly no one was to found that time.

Zero respect for opposition fans (most of these Arsenal newbies) who are only coming here to gloat and troll after wins. Hope they don't get promoted.
Good point. @GoonerGirly and @GoonerBear are pretty genuine I feel and enjoy a conversation.