Arsenal 2023/24 - Have bottled the Champions League and are Bottling the League

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Have to feel for them. I really dont like arteta or their fans, but theyre an actual football club, and have been through 2 decades of rebuilding and theyll likely get cheated out of a title. And nobody will say anything, or query it, or question it. The premier league, regards city, these days is like seeing somebody being murdered in the middle of a busy restaurant, and everybody just carries on eating. Makes you question if its even happening, but you can see it right there in front of you.
Same happened to Liverpool. It’s a damn shame. And yes, seeing so many people pretend that there’s nothing wrong about it, is the worst part. It’s insulting to everyone who’s actually watching what’s happening.

AshRK

Same happened to Liverpool. It’s a damn shame. And yes, seeing so many people pretend that there’s nothing wrong about it, is the worst part. It’s insulting to everyone who’s actually watching what’s happening.
Well it's been happening for more than a decade now. When Sir alex indirectly brought that point up in 2010 ish he was mocked at. People celebrated their aguero moment but little they realized that they are going to be bigger and badder.

Suedesi

I’ve scarcely glimpsed Arsenal in action this season, but I did catch the Spurs match and the Bayern tie. They’re quite the team—talented, yet wonderfully unsportsmanlike. From Ben White conveniently finding himself atop the opposing keeper at every set piece, to Gabriel’s masterclass in petulance, the tactical fouling worthy of an Oscar, and those ludicrous team huddles after every goal—get on with it you fcking bellends

led_scholes

Well it's been happening for more than a decade now. When Sir alex indirectly brought that point up in 2010 ish he was mocked at. People celebrated their aguero moment but little they realized that they are going to be bigger and badder.
Teams were happy to sell their players on big money back then. They thought that city will be another Chelsea. Big but not that dominant. So they would compete somehow.

Despite our disastrous decade, we would have 2 or 3 more leagues the last 15 years.

And let's be honest for most fans City are the lesser "rival". I m sure spurs will kinda celebrate if City wins the league this year. But the fake/plastic reputation is already diminishing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have to feel for them. I really dont like arteta or their fans, but theyre an actual football club, and have been through 2 decades of rebuilding and theyll likely get cheated out of a title. And nobody will say anything, or query it, or question it. The premier league, regards city, these days is like seeing somebody being murdered in the middle of a busy restaurant, and everybody just carries on eating. Makes you question if its even happening, but you can see it right there in front of you.
Nobody will? Most of this forum and fans of other big clubs have been calling out the cheats to get booted out of the league, for a long time. We don’t have to feel sorry for Arsenal when we ourselves are affected by them. Unless you mean the broadcasters? Who have a product to sell.

lex talionis

No one will care? Seriously? We should start caring because they could potentially do 4 in a row, something we have never done. Just like they matched our greatest ever achievement, the treble. It’s not even too far to say they could overtake our trophy count sooner than people expect (dependant on their punishment for the 115). Remember fergie saying not in his lifetime? Well here we are.

people talk about how they obtained this success which is fair but their name is etched in the history books and still will be in 20/30/40 years time when the new generation won’t care how they got there, it will probably be the norm then! I see kids walking about in city kits ALL the time now, which would have never been the case when I was a kid. Players that would have played for United are going there and winning trophies were not close to touching. Take them seriously. It’s sad and horrible what is happening in football and they are the poster boys for it.. but they’re winning the big things and that’s something you can’t avoid.
Journalists will write glowing tributes, but you gotta trust me on this one…no one will care, especially under the criminal cloud it operates under.

Unlike many on the caf, I don’t live in Manchester. I only visit every other year. When I was in town last year I made it a point to seek out City supporters. No doubt there are a few, and in fact I even know one here in California, but Manchester really is red, not blue.

DevilRed

There is a very real scenario that the premier league title could be decided at OT.

Will be interesting to see if the players turn up for this match if mancity slip up prior, which would allow arsenal to be in pole position should they beat us.

El Zoido

There is a very real scenario that the premier league title could be decided at OT.

Will be interesting to see if the players turn up for this match if mancity slip up prior, which would allow arsenal to be in pole position should they beat us.
Unless Arsenal have an off day they’re going to beat us whether we turn up or not.

Winrar

If the situation calls for it, I wouldn’t lose sleep if one or more of our players pulled a 09/10 Gerrard.

GlasgowCeltic

Was an article in the Athletic (I think) about how Pep does everything he can to stop Utd games becoming games of emotion with the crowd involved, whereas Klopp doesn’t, and so there’s always the risk of them losing in a game of chaos like they did. I think Arteta will try but if Utd score first Arsenal are gonna be rattled.

Jev

Would be absolutely brutal if they won their remaining games but lost the league again. Hopefully City will slip up. After today I’m optimistic about Arsenal’s chances.

DevilRed

Was an article in the Athletic (I think) about how Pep does everything he can to stop Utd games becoming games of emotion with the crowd involved, whereas Klopp doesn’t, and so there’s always the risk of them losing in a game of chaos like they did. I think Arteta will try but if Utd score first Arsenal are gonna be rattled.
Sort of depends whether our players would like to see arsenal win the title or city.

Our lot are good at downing tools.

But we wouldn't even need to win. A draw would likely be enough to gift the title to city.

Remember the geese

I don't think thats a given at OT. We've beaten them in the previous 2 fixtures at home.
We were relatively good last season though. The year before that, Arsenal were nowhere near the level they are at currently. We are capable of beating them, but we are rubbish far more often than we are good.

DevilRed

We were relatively good last season though. The year before that, Arsenal were nowhere near the level they are at currently. We are capable of beating them, but we are rubbish far more often than we are good.
You never know what you're going to get with our lot.

But we have a tendency to rise up in certain rivalry matches this season.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
We won't win at OT, United will be totally up for it and have better players to hurt us on the counter than Spurs, unless we score 2-3, which I don't see that happening. An example is last year. We totally mucked up our home games again this season and will pay for it. Can't wait for City to be punished (not happening) and Pep to feck off.

I feel the league is gone personally speaking. City will win all their away games, can't see any team beating them. Spurs are totally trash, City will make them pay at any 50-50 chance, like we did today.

Irwin99

Would be absolutely brutal if they won their remaining games but lost the league again. Hopefully City will slip up. After today I’m optimistic about Arsenal’s chances.
I think getting six points out of a really unpredictable Chelsea team and their most hated rivals Spurs means that the toughest fixtures are out of the way for them and they do have a real chance but it's just wondering where City are going to slip if not against Spurs, who could be out of the top 4 by the time of that game? City have Wolves, Fulham, Spurs and West Ham left. Other than Spurs, where are the dropped points coming from? Fulham possibly?

Judas

Open to offers
It would be funny (as Arsenal fans are mostly so awful) but also quite tragic for the league as a competition if Arsenal do win all their remaining games and still end up with fecking City as champions.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Exactly this.
No-one cared when it was United being beaten by City.

Slowly it's dawning on Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and other clubs fighting for the odd top 4 season that what City have done affects them too, and funnily enough now they moan about it.
We've been crying about this since Abramovich rolled into town.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
Routine :angel:

We managed to bottle it but still win. Probably the best way to bottle it.

Three games left. Still expect City to take maximum points but it would be nice to be still playing for the title on the final day. So we need to just keep winning.

Until the next heart attack! :wenger:
The way I have been trying to explain is - there were two stupid individual moments but outside of those moments, we didn't actually lose control. Despite two individual losses of heads, the team kept theirs. That's why we didn't ultimately bottle it, because the underlying problem wasn't a weak mentality, it was fatigue mixed with freak error

I was instinctively nervous as feck after the penalty but it was just fan nerves and 'narrative bias' i.e. ''oh god it's happening isn't it, we all know what happens here....'' - if I were a neutral I don't think I'd have backed Spurs in-game at that point to get a draw.

I also don't buy into the common post-mortem of this game that

a) Spurs played really well in open play - they were just decent, but lacked urgency on the counter and would end up passing backwards.

b) Penalty shout before Saka's goal was actually a pen. Very mild case of a trailing leg, hitting a player that wasn't even challenging or impeding, just standing there. I spent the 2000's being called a soft Arsenal fan who wanted to turn football into a non-contact sport and even I think the game is fecked now, with the soft calls that are being given or at least considered.

Captmfla

Nothing brutal. Can't even draw against villa. Lost both times.

Jev

Nothing brutal. Can't even draw against villa. Lost both times.
Kind of childish to zoom in on that result as proof of their lack of pedigree when they’ve won every single game this year apart from that one (EDIT: and City of course).

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe the clubs should make a bit more noise about then? Instead of rolling over....

United, Liverpool, and Arsenal are huge clubs - if they want to kick up a stink about it would be heard..... but for whatever reason they have chosen to stfu and watch it all unfold

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Maybe the clubs should make a bit more noise about then? Instead of rolling over....

United, Liverpool, and Arsenal are huge clubs - if they want to kick up a stink about it would be heard..... but for whatever reason they have chosen to stfu and watch it all unfold
That’s incredibly annoying to me. They just don’t do anything. They just let City do whatever they want. No idea why they act this way.

MegadrivePerson

If the cheats win it again this season, that's four in a row and six out of the last seven. Liverpool had to get close to100 points just to stop it being seven in a row.

The Premier league is in danger of becoming as one sided as France and Germany.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We've been crying about this since Abramovich rolled into town.
Yep, Abramovich was the starting point to this mess. City was just a better perfected corrupt version. We should not allow gangsters to buy our businesses, let alone long-standing football clubs. It was a disaster then, but we seem to accept it pretty fast.

miked99

We won't win at OT, United will be totally up for it and have better players to hurt us on the counter than Spurs, unless we score 2-3, which I don't see that happening. An example is last year. We totally mucked up our home games again this season and will pay for it. Can't wait for City to be punished (not happening) and Pep to feck off.

I feel the league is gone personally speaking. City will win all their away games, can't see any team beating them. Spurs are totally trash, City will make them pay at any 50-50 chance, like we did today.
Have you watched us play at all? :lol:

Sheffield United and Burnley can run through us and get shots off at will. I dread to think what could happen against you lot with your attacking flair.

OsloRed

Sheffield United and Burnley can run through us and get shots off at will. I dread to think what could happen against you lot with your attacking flair.
Ødegaard will have a field day if keep playing like that.

Clanrickard

Supports
Arsenal

Exactly. Us, United and Liverpool should doing a lot more about financial fair play. Everton and Forest got down why no action on City?

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal

Your team will make more effort against us than they did against Burnley. Again last year was an example. Rashford and Garnacho are v good at counters.

Quote me if you want after the game but it won't be easy at all.

BorisManUtd

What was the last time title race was decided at Old Trafford? Probably 2010 and 2011 when we lost and won against Ancelotti's Chelsea. Though I don't think it'll be a case this year as we won't be able to get even a draw. Will be hoping it's not a disaster loss as we've had many of those in last couple of years.

EDIT: also in 2012 our 4-4 draw vs Everton handed City 1st place in the race so that one as well.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

United usually turn into 1970 Brazil when ever we play them at OT with Rashford turning into prime Pele.