Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Well how does that make them overrated. Arteta got much less criticsm for finishing 8th 8th and 5th than what eth got for finishing 3rd and a cup.
Less criticism means performing as expected. If a team finishes 8th and face little criticism means its where its expected to be. Thus the team not rated to do better and performing as expected.
Team finishes 3rd but still faces criticism means its rated to do much better. Thus the team is rated very highly but not performing to that mark.

AshRK

Less criticism means performing as expected. If a team finishes 8th and face little criticism means its where its expected to be. Thus the team not rated to do better and performing as expected.
Team finishes 3rd but still faces criticism means its rated to do much better. Thus the team is rated very highly but not performing to that mark.
So did people expect United to win or challenge for the title after finishing 6th year before, how is that even possible. So maybe the criticism was unfair and doesn't mean a team is overrated.

ShinjiNinja26

Well sorry to break it to you, but that is simply not true... I have seen many people on here claim Man Utd will win the league, and Arsenal look way ahead to me. So the answer to your question is much closer to home.
The games up fella, you’ve been rumbled. Drop the whole “Bolton fan” act, it’s embarrassing. I know it’s hard to admit to being an Arsenal fan but just own it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well sorry to break it to you, but that is simply not true... I have seen many people on here claim Man Utd will win the league, and Arsenal look way ahead to me. So the answer to your question is much closer to home.
Bolton fan to the rescue again, Bolton fan who posts only to defend Arsenal :lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Bolton fan to the rescue again, Bolton fan who posts only to defend Arsenal :lol:
Even I’m a little suspicious at this point.

@TopDog, if you are a closeted Gooner… it’s a good time to come out. We’re not a banter club anymore.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, it's not a good look if you love Bolton and us. Arsene wouldn't love it.

rajds89

Nothing special about them whatsoever, unless your of an Arsenal persuasion. They’ll finish even further behind City this season.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Superb stuff by Arsenal, this was control for 90 minutes, with some issues from Everton here and there.

Last season Arsenal would have lost this game. This season... not even a sniff from Everton, who were only looking for physicality and counter attacks. Its funny that they actually looked more threatening when they started to play football and chase the game.

Champion like performance.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Superb stuff by Arsenal, this was control for 90 minutes, with some issues from Everton here and there.

Last season Arsenal would have lost this game, this season... not even a sniff from Everton.

Wish we were more like the oppo fans on here.

Steve Bruce

Last season Arsenal would have lost this game, this season... not even a sniff from Everton.

My opinion is between these two
Nothing special about them whatsoever, unless your of an Arsenal persuasion. They’ll finish even further behind City this season.

wr8_utd

:'(

I swear we've been hearing this close to every single year for the last decade every time Arsenal see out a difficult win.

Zen

They've definitely gone backwards. Not sure how this is questionable. But maybe the directive is a slower start...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Getting points but don't seem as barnstorming as last season.

Probably a top 4 finish, out at the second round in the CL and maybe a cup final. The order of top 4 is a bit hard to predict right now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So, not playing as well as last season, yet STILL winning,

Sign of a good team. They haven't hit form yet still getting the job done.
Alas, I think people need to accept that they are actually the full ticket.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Last season Arsenal would have lost this game. This season... not even a sniff from Everton, who were only looking for physicality and counter attacks. Its funny that they actually looked more threatening when they started to play football and chase the game.

:lol: we were crap and you could only win 1-0 and act like babies the whole game.

rajds89

I swear we've been hearing this close to every single year for the last decade every time Arsenal see out a difficult win.
We do. Every time they win a game that looks a test on paper we get the “we’d have lost that game last season, look how far we’ve come, champion like performance (like they’d know what one of them is the bottlers)” shit. It’s tiresome.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Getting points but don't seem as barnstorming as last season.

Probably a top 4 finish, out at the second round in the CL and maybe a cup final. The order of top 4 is a bit hard to predict right now.
They were barnstorming at the wrong end of last season. Maybe this year they’re pacing themselves a bit better?

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: we were crap and you could only win 1-0 and act like babies the whole game.
Yeah because you dont play football mate. You just sit deep and delay everything on the ball. Then when you fall behind you want to start to attack.

We expected this rubbish from you and we prepared for it. You couldnt counter attack more than once or twice, got pinned in and we created chance after chance.

In your defence though, this is what we have to face every week now. Teams want to defend and counter attack whether its home or away, so I cant blame Everton's tactics.

But deserved beating for you today, and good luck for your season.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Arsenal were great. Rice proving his worth. Arsenal showing their depth. Total control of the game. Wish the squad was more lethal but I think this team is better than last season for sure. Big away dub against a fully transformed shit house dyche Everton side

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Another solid away win. We lost here last season so very happy with 3 points, especially with Partey out and Martinelli going off injured. Everton offered very little and was getting worried we wouldn't make all our possession count. Neat finish from Trossard. Vieira has improved so much - was worried this would be too physical for him but he did well.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Come in to see the post match stuff, sounded like they'd just stuffed man city 7-0 the way the pundits were going on. Turns out they've beat an awful Everton side 1-0

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Arsenal have looked unconvincing in each of their wins so far against Forest, Palace, Everton and us. Each of those results could easily have been defeats. I don't think they'll offer much this season and their league position is very flattering.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
First win at Everton since 2017. I'll take any sort of 3 points from there, we've been really poor there recently.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah because you dont play football mate. You just sit deep and delay everything on the ball. Then when you fall behind you want to start to attack.

We expected this rubbish from you and we prepared for it. You couldnt counter attack more than once or twice, got pinned in and we created chance after chance.

Deserved beating, and good luck for your season.
You were okay but not as impressive as your first hyperbolic post suggested.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know times are rough at Everton but "You only won 1-0" is a funny one :D
I just don't understand the hyperbole from that post. It was a decent performance by Arsenal but nothing more really and it didn't have to be. No need to go over the top with praise for no reason.

Dorris

In your defence though, this is what we have to face every week now. Teams want to defend and counter attack whether its home or away, so I cant blame Everton's tactics.

But deserved beating for you today, and good luck for your season.
I’m getting glaston vibes

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Less fluid without Partey and Xakha, we will look different this season. Next game will be pretty important against Spurs. They are in good form.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
You were okay but not as impressive as your first hyperbolic post suggested.
Did you have a single counter attacking chance? I can think of two at maximum.

Now compare that to last season's game between our teams, where you applied these very same tactics. Night and day outcomes.

Take it for what Im telling you, your team was completely nullified today. Not what you want to hear sure, so I'll leave it at that.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Could be but it's usually better to be out in front anyway.
Last season, we took everyone by surprise and no one expected us to be as good as we were. Things are different now and teams know how we play. It is why Arteta was tinkering with the formation before Partey got injured, trying to give us more options. I don't think it's all come together yet and we're not blowing teams away.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Did you have a single counter attacking chance? I can think of two at maximum.

Now compare that to last season's game between our teams, where you applied these very same tactics. Night and day outcomes.

Take it for what Im telling you, your team was completely nullified today. Not what you want to hear sure, so I'll leave it at that.
Of our own doing.

We didn't press at all, which we did in that game. We played it high to DCL who's immense in the air compared to today with Beto who appears to be more Lukaku like and prefers it to feet or a through ball.

You were nothing special today. Be happy with a win by all means, but no need to go over the top.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Of our own doing.

We didn't press at all, which we did in that game. We played it high to DCL who's immense in the air compared to today with Beto who appears to be more Lukaku like and prefers it to feet or a through ball.

You were nothing special today. Be happy with a win by all means, but no need to go over the top.
They're an arsenal fan, they're all like this.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Last season, we took everyone by surprise and no one expected us to be as good as we were. Things are different now and teams know how we play. It is why Arteta was tinkering with the formation before Partey got injured, trying to give us more options. I don't think it's all come together yet and we're not blowing teams away.
Yes, that is a reason why we look slower than last season.

Another reason is that we are developing a new system in addition to our current main system, and with new players. Also we have lost that intelligence and movement from Xhaka on the field.

The good news is that Arteta is starting to bring back the combinations that make us so good last season.

I think he's seen that tactical variety is important, but I also think he's seen that evolution is better than revolution.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Of our own doing.

I know it hurts, and yes I am emotional about the victory as it was hard earned. So I'll tone it down here.

Your team dont press Arsenal, unless they are in certain areas of the pitch. Those areas are in the center and in your defensive third, and that's understandable because you are looking to use your numbers and compressed space to win the ball. That is very effective against a high line.

That's the point Im making fundamentally, that despite Arsenal pushing up and holding the ball in the areas Everton are comfortable to press in, Everton couldnt successfully press. That is the control and nullifying Im talking about.

The DCL and Beto direct option was mostly dealt with as well.

Not a pretty performance, but a performance that you have to bring out when you want to compete at the highest level. You see such performances from City themselves.

Ok that's it for me on this, as I said... Good luck for the season, and see you at the Emirates and possibly in the cups.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know it hurts, and yes I am emotional about the victory as it was hard earned. So I'll tone it down here.

Your team dont press Arsenal, unless they are in certain areas of the pitch. Those areas are in the center and in your defensive third, and that's understandable because you are looking to use your numbers and compressed space to win the ball. That is very effective against a high line.

That's the point Im making fundamentally, that despite Arsenal pushing up and holding the ball in the areas Everton are comfortable to press in, Everton couldnt successfully press. That is the control and nullifying Im talking about.

The DCL and Beto direct option was mostly dealt with as well.

Not a pretty performance, but a performance that you have to bring out when you want to compete at the highest level. You see such performances from City themselves.

Ok that's it for me on this, as I said... Good luck for the season, and see you at the Emirates and possibly in the cups.
:lol: I'm not hurt at all. I just find it weird that you're acting like it was the best performance ever when it was nothing more than decent.

In the previous game we played against you we pressed like our life depended on it and gave you no space. Today we were happy to soak up pressure and tried to restrict the types of chances you had which we did well. The game plan wasn't to hit you on the counter like we did in the last game. It was more to just stay in the game and try and nick it at the end or from a set piece/lack of concentration.

You won, it was good to get that result but it wasn't a win for the ages.