Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
He is actually pretty bad in terms of involvement in the game. As an #8 his passes # is 27, while Odegaard is 70, Rice is 53, ESR is 17 and Nelson is 24 as sub. He is hiding in the game.
I’m not trying defend him because he’s been pretty anonymous, but it’s hard to classify him as an out and out 8 with the arsenal play. Because Zinchenko takes a big part of a traditional 8’s responsibilities. If you watch the match, Havertz is basically playing up top for most of the game. He’s still passive though. And honestly it feels like the team doesn’t trust him. He’ll be in space and the team won’t pass it to him

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not trying defend him because he’s been pretty anonymous, but it’s hard to classify him as an out and out 8 with the arsenal play. Because Zinchenko takes a big part of a traditional 8’s responsibilities. If you watch the match, Havertz is basically playing up top for most of the game. He’s still passive though. And honestly it feels like the team doesn’t trust him. He’ll be in space and the team won’t pass it to him
They definitely do not seem to trust him so far and he is not involved enough in general. I have seen him to be fair to him in decent positions and they ignore him, choosing instead the more difficult option.

One of the worries I had bringing him in was that the whole Chelsea team looked very lazy last season. He cannot do that over here and really needs to put in a 100% on everything he does out there or he is not going to make it. Seemed more involved yesterday, and hopefully that was a performance to build upon.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Make no mistake I want him to be a success, but he really needs to involve more in the game. Most of Arsenal's attack is from the right and it becomes predictable.

Tecumseh

Supports
Arsenal
Reading this thread you would think Arsenal are second from the bottom or something. Ok they have not hit the heights of last season but this season is just starting out. Most teams take a while to hit their stride, not everyone is the well oiled machine that is City.

Should do Spurs at home next match in the PL, when was the last time Spurs actually got a win at Arsenal? 10 years?
12 years

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
So pretty much a foregone conclusion, should quieten down the Spurs talk for a while if Arsenal do them like 3-1 or something. Still think Spurs will be in the mix for top four, but they are not quite there on the same level as Arsenal and Liverpool yet. Spurs are better than United and Chelsea atm however, not that that is saying much.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Our defence, especially at home, is more than capable of multiple brain farts. Not expecting us to blow them away at all. Ange's a bit smarter than the lineup of useless managers they've had recently.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Last season at 19th game mark. They had lost 1 game and drawn 2.

Now, 6 games in the new season. They have already drawn 2 games. By game 19 they will have atleast 2 more games + 2 more draws.

They are getting in to their usual level. Also navigating Champions League night games + Pl weekend games will be a challenge.

Then the customary hitting the brick wall for them will come in April. Where they collapse completely.

Sara125

Nketiah being kept on the whole 90+ mins :lol: :lol: :lol: Can’t see them winning much if he is gonna be relied on as their main striker

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rice must be pretty badly injured to go off at half time in a Derby. Barely missed a game in West Ham's marathon season.

That's a problem for Arsenal with Partey unavailable again. Jorginho has his uses for certain types of games but not basketball style matches like today.

Elneny will be getting a testimonial at this rate.:D

JogaBonitoRooney

Very fortunate today, a massive deflection and a harsh handball decision got them a point.
The shot came from a good attacking play and may have gone in anyway and the shot for the handball would also have gone in. It was a pretty even game.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Very fortunate today, a massive deflection and a harsh handball decision got them a point.
I have no problem with the handball decision as long as it is consistent which it most certainly is not at the moment. You see them not given all the time as the defender is 'too close' to really react and lunging in. Then today, it is given, and you can pick out a bunch of similar situations that were not given.

They either need to be all given in similar scenarios or all denied. It really is like rolling a dice at the moment.

Spurs to their credit looked the goods, thought Jesus was poor, and Odegaard quiet. The less said about Jorginho the better, Havertz didn't do anything, good or bad, he just existed. Saka's defending on Maddison for that Son goal was truly awful.

Mike Smalling

They look average.

The £65m Havertz signing is one of the most bizarre in a long time.
I just can't wrap my head around it. It actually kind of frustrates me. This is different than bringing in someone from another league that might not work out in the Premier League. Havertz had already shown to be average at Chelsea, yet Arsenal are willing to bail them out with a massive transfer fee, without even having a role in their team that suits him well. I just don't get it.

Zen

Not even the favourite for 2nd place anymore..... given the gap between and the other 18 was supposed to be pretty big!

Von Mistelroum

They're going to be the Dortmund to City's Bayern in this new PL ecosystem. Always the bridesmaid...

Guy Incognito

They could’ve saved the 170m on Rice and Havertz, keep Xhaka and be better off.
They overpaid on Rice, but I think he was a no brainer signing. And can get better as the season goes on.

Their season probably rests on the City game. Win and it's a psychological boost. Lose and they are scrapping for top four.

InfiniteBoredom

They overpaid on Rice, but I think he was a no brainer signing. And can get better as the season goes on.

Their season probably rests on the City game. Win and it's a psychological boost. Lose and they are scrapping for top four.
It’s a massively overpriced depth signing that they ended up weakening their starting XI to accommodate by shunning a better player in the same position to right back. In the PL, the change from the tried-and-tested Partey Xhaka Odegaard to whatever permutation of midfield they play this season has seen them controlling less of the ball and having more difficulty piling on pressure. And for all the hype about Rice’s defensive capabilities, his lapses of concentration has cost them 2 goals already in 6 games this season, but for his lucky deflected shot against us, a lot more pressure would be put on the signing.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Arteta having the audacity to state they conceded two poor goals whilst his side scored from a super deflection (celebrated with an imitated dart throw) and a penalty which wasn't a penalty as I was informed when Manchester United faced Spurs.

This is exactly why so many were content with another irrelevant plastic trophy lift from City last season...they're the most shameless bunch since the worst version of Klopp.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
They could’ve saved the 170m on Rice and Havertz, keep Xhaka and be better off.
Xhaka wanted to go. He was treated poorly by fans for most of his time and was supposed to leave the summer before (apparently to Roma for about £16mil) but Arteta convinced him to stay one more year.

Havertz was quite good vs PSV (though that's not saying much) and did OK when he came on vs Spurs, but losing Rice at half time was a big loss. I knew when he was out we'd drop points, before that I was fairly confident we'd win. Rice has been very good for us so far and it's the first time in years we haven't missed Partey. IMO he'll be worth the hefty fee in the long run. We were far too easy to get through in the second half, mainly due to Rice's absence.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not even the favourite for 2nd place anymore..... given the gap between and the other 18 was supposed to be pretty big!
Think Liverpool will be City's biggest challengers as they have no CL this season. They're looking very good and have the experience (unlike us last season). For us it will be interesting to see how we manage it all, our injury list is piling up too. Timber, Partey, Martinelli and Trossard all out vs Tottenham and Rice injured during the game.

the_cliff

Think Liverpool will be City's biggest challengers as they have no CL this season. They're looking very good and have the experience (unlike us last season). For us it will be interesting to see how we manage it all, our injury list is piling up too. Timber, Partey, Martinelli and Trossard all out vs Tottenham and Rice injured during the game.
Join the club mate. Imagine Saliba and Gabriel get injured as well and saka gets banished from the squad for something stupid and then you'll know what we've had to go through so far this season.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Now, 6 games in the new season. They have already drawn 2 games. By game 19 they will have atleast 2 more games + 2 more draws.

They are getting in to their usual level. Also navigating Champions League night games + Pl weekend games will be a challenge.

Then the customary hitting the brick wall for them will come in April. Where they collapse completely.
If you extrapolate our start to the season out over 38 games, we’d finish with 89 points.

Also, we’ve just played 2 Pl + 1 CL game in a week where we scored 7 and conceded 2.

The fact that Spurs coming from behind twice to hold us to a draw is being viewed as such a disappointing result is a pretty good indication of where we’re at.

The only reason 4 wins + 2 draws may prove insufficient is because we competing with literally the best team in the world (that also have 115 charges against them). That aside, you don’t have to look too far to find teams who would happily trade places with us.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Join the club mate. Imagine Saliba and Gabriel get injured as well and saka gets banished from the squad for something stupid and then you'll know what we've had to go through so far this season.
TBH it's probably to be expected after WC last season and the extra minutes added on in games now. Players have played much more than usual. Chelsea of course also suffering with injuries.

Last edited:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
If you extrapolate our start to the season out over 38 games, we’d finish with 89 points.

Also, we’ve just played 2 Pl + 1 CL game in a week where we scored 7 and conceded 2.

The fact that Spurs coming from behind twice to hold us to a draw is being viewed as such a disappointing result is a pretty good indication of where we’re at.

The only reason 4 wins + 2 draws may prove insufficient is because we competing with literally the best team in the world (that also have 115 charges against them). That aside, you don’t have to look too far to find teams who would happily trade places with us.
How we were going to manage CL and playing 3 games a week was always going to be challenge this season. Is really testing our squad depth in a way we haven't had to face in years. I think it's been a good week overall.

As many on here continuously pointed out, we had a favourable start to last season. Our start this time has been a bit tougher, having faced United and Tottenham already in first 6 games. However we're only 1 point worse off than this stage last season (15 vs 14 points). Difference is City have started imperiously and are 3 points ahead of where we were last season (18 points). Agreed CL this season changes things for us and it will be a challenge to manage the squad. Will be a real test and I'm here for it.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
It might sound defeatist. But while I expect Arsenal to "challenge' for the title in the sense of being close to the 1-2nd place, ultimately I'm realistic that the team will finish within the 2nd or 3rd position.
With the added demands of champions league, the lack of a top class striker up front, and the constant playing of havertz, let's be real, the title is no where near. Plus city seem to be chugging along despite losing significant team fringe players (eg: Mahrez, Gundogan) who were match winners.

A good run in UCL (aka not dumping out in the first round of 16) would be nice, plus a possible trophy in either league or FA.
this isn't a revisionist view after the start of the season.

Mike Smalling

There's a real rush to discredit Arsenal on here. Irrespective of yesterdays performance, they are still a very good side and look comfortable for top four, in my opinion. Their front four is good, so they can consistently get goals, and they also have a fairly solid backline.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
As many on here continuously pointed out, we had a favourable start to last season. Our start this time has been a bit tougher, having faced United and Tottenham already in first 6 games. However we're only 1 point worse off than this stage last season (15 vs 14 points).
Probably you don't understand.

The problem is not what points you have after 6 games, but what points you will have after 19 games.

By 19 games last season you had 2 draws and 1 loss ( To United at OT :D ). So beating United in emirates happened last season also.

So for any resemblance of last season, you guys need to lose only 1 game and win the next 12 games till game 19.

Is that possible? You know it's not possible.

I have always maintained the 2022-23 first half of the season from Arteta was such a big anomaly. A 50 point in 19 games is such a big anomaly. Arteta is a 30-35 points manager in 19 games. As it happened in the second part of the last season.
And all the pointers point to it being as business as usual for Arteta in this new season.

Verward

You guys never competed with City. City simply overtook you guys and you guys didnt even bother to stay close within them.
Only Liverpool have competed with City in last few years where they took City to last day and some impressive end of the season runs.
My problem with Arsenal and Arteta is that they are too hyped up. They are a good side but nowhere near title contenders. Arteta can try as much as he can but he wont be next Pep.

Hammondo

Statistically they did better with Rice this game than with him, who would have thought.