Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

wildflower2007

You were like that under Fergie for many a season. Look at the second half of 2002/03 season when you reeled in a very good Arsenal under Wenger by pretty much winning every game for the last three months (and also a 2-2 down at Highbury).

The wins in 2008 and 2009 were similar.
The big difference was we didn't cheat doing it. Any wins City get these days always have an asterix, because you don't know how much they've been cheating to do it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not just that though, they've had a consistent 3 out of 4 defence which has helped this season and a lack of injuries. It's important to grab the opportunities while you can as you don't know what will happen next season. Yes they may have another good season but in a season where City weren't at their best for large parts, it was a big chance to take advantage and those earlier results in the season have cost them.
We did that last year and have made objective progress this time, so I'm fairly confident. If we'd regressed on last season in points and/or consistency, seeing out games, making freak errors or enough other important components of winning, then it'd be a different story.
I think what @TheGame here says is key though. Saliba and Gabriel have been strong this year but we saw how you struggled without Saliba in that first title challenging season. I know you have Timber but it's yet to be seen how that long term injury impacts him. You did do it last year but 2 seasons in a row of failure at the last hurdle is a huge mental impact to a squad. Who knows, you could still do it this year.

Siorac

Every year since 2018 has been a one horse race. With some fake run-ins where there's been little emotion since city has hardly been close to drop a point.
In 21/22, City were 2-0 down with 15 minutes left from the season. Quite close to dropping points I'd say.

Captmfla

City always finishes strongly. That's what they do.

One with Aguero winning 3-2. Another with Gundogan winning 3-2

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's not just that though, they've had a consistent 3 out of 4 defence which has helped this season and a lack of injuries. It's important to grab the opportunities while you can as you don't know what will happen next season. Yes they may have another good season but in a season where City weren't at their best for large parts, it was a big chance to take advantage and those earlier results in the season have cost them.
Thing is, we've said that before, in fact, it's said most years pre December, then they just kick into gear. I mean, they have still managed a 90+ point season, they still manage to remain unbeaten the past 5 months, the will likely win the double, should really have put out Madrid. Them not being at their best still seems better than everyone else, including Arsenal. That's why i need to chuckle at people that say yeah, Arsenal should have just went for them at The Etihad....like it's that easy.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If they don't win the title, I think Arsenal should look at the 0-0 at the Etihad in March, they didn't play their normal game and it was a terrible 0-0 draw. If they go out and play and beat them as they did at home, then they'd be in driving seat 2 points ahead now. City haven't been that great this season.

tomaldinho1

If they don't win the title, I think Arsenal should look at the 0-0 at the Etihad in March, they didn't play their normal game and it was a terrible 0-0 draw. If they go out and play and beat them as they did at home, then they'd be in driving seat 2 points ahead now. City haven't been that great this season.
Or if Oliver just hadn't reffed City this season, Arsenal would already have lifted the PL trophy...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thing is, we've said that before, in fact, it's said most years pre December, then they just kick into gear. I mean, they have still managed a 90+ point season, they still manage to remain unbeaten the past 5 months, the will likely win the double, should really have put out Madrid. Them not being at their best still seems better than everyone else, including Arsenal. That's why i need to chuckle at people that say yeah, Arsenal should have just went for them at The Etihad....like it's that easy.
It's not easy but the title winning sides take risks and do it.

TheGame

It's more your dropped points at the beginning of the season and in certain games. Point is that compared to previously, they've shown some vulnerabilities. These kind of chances don't happen all of the time like I mentioned before.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The big difference was we didn't cheat doing it. Any wins City get these days always have an asterix, because you don't know how much they've been cheating to do it.
This time next year they'd finally be a verdict on some of those charges so that will impact 25/26 at least.

Fallon d'Floor

The back to back defeats West Ham and Fulham in late December have probably been what's cost them if they don't win it.

They were bad in the Fulham game, but shouldn't have lost at home vs West Ham. 2.77 xG to West Ham's 1.42 xG. Arsenal had 74% possession and 30 shots. 5 big chances.

They battered West Ham 6-0 away less than 2 months later.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's not easy but the title winning sides take risks and do it.
Show me an example where a title winning side has done that to Pep's City? There is no precedence for this, Champions League winning Liverpool teams couldn't manage to go to City and win.

It's more your dropped points at the beginning of the season and in certain games. Point is that compared to previously, they've shown some vulnerabilities. These kind of chances don't happen all of the time like I mentioned before.
Well i think basically, to beat them you need to hit at the very least a 90 point season. The problem is, bar that 1 year against Liverpool, they always seem to be able to just do enough to stay ahead. Liverpool get 97 points, they get 98, Liverpool get 92 points, they get 93.

The aim for Arsenal (or anyone looking to challenge them) next season is to break that 90 point mark. Then, you are just hoping that at least 1 more time, they wont match / better it.

Last edited:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
If Arsenal dont win the title, is Arteta becoming Pochettino at Spurs Vol 2 ?! 5 years at Arsenal and only one FA Cup to show for it, and that was not with "his" team..

Loon

:lol:
I hope Arsenal ask why 115 were not docked points this season like Everton or Forest. Arteta probably doesn’t want to upset his mate (and former employer).

AshRK

But if you have to win the title then you have to go for it. You can't be celebrating 0-0 draw at etihad knowing they will be relentless. Pep did a Jose that day and knew what he was doing. In fact he did the same at emirates but you guys sneaked a goal. We had two bland boring games. Arsenal fans thought they won that battle without realizing this city side or any top side for that matter will not make errors.

AshRK

If Arsenal dont win the title, is Arteta becoming Pochettino at Spurs Vol 2 ?! 5 years at Arsenal and only one FA Cup to show for it, and that was not with "his" team..
Too soon to say that. If their form drops in coming seasons and they go trophyless again for next season or two then more questions will be asked.

Nicolarra90

In 21/22, City were 2-0 down with 15 minutes left from the season. Quite close to dropping points I'd say.
It's a personal thing but I don't really believe in the comebacks and the last minute goals in the PL anymore. They feel too plastic. They happen almost every weekend.

I feel like I'm watching the WWE.

I always knew they were going to make that comeback (thankfully for us too). They could've been 3-0 by minute 30 and lost all the audience for the last game or keep it alive until the min 80+ and the PL maximize the value of the end. Of course it's being manipulated.

Let's see what happens this weekend. West Ham might start winning the game too.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
They have progressed again this season and will be best placed to win the title when Pep leaves / City get their punishment. They could do with a trophy, but it does not take away from their consistent improvement under Arteta. We will need a similar trajectory and patience with the amount of dossers in our squad.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think the approach the Etihad was the right one. You had already beaten them at home. Obviously winning there is great but taking 4 points off them directly was a great outcome.

The thing is, it's hard to say if Arsenal had won that game, that everything else after would have remained the same. We could all say, we dropped 2 points here, 2 points there and then add them up to make some kind of point about where the team messed up, I do it often myself, but in the alternate world where Arsenal beat City at the Etihad, are we sure they don't mess up some other game? We can't go back and change an important detail about the past and expect everything that happened after to remain the same.

Mike Smalling

Yeah, this is over. The Spurs game was the chance for Arsenal, and they can thank Son for not being able to finish a clear-cut chance. City will easily take care of West Ham that has nothing to play for.

It's a tough one for Arsenal. Last year they bottled it by drawing to West Ham and Southampton and then being dominated by City. It's a different story this year, but City have just raised the bar in terms of what is needed to win the league.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I hope Arsenal ask why 115 were not docked points this season like Everton or Forest. Arteta probably doesn’t want to upset his mate (and former employer).
I fear to live in a world where charges alone equal guilt and require punishment before trial.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I think next year will be their best chance. Another year on De Bruyne and Walker's wheels, maybe Silva fecks off, maybe City get a few points deducted.
Pep and Txiki are pretty ruthless when it comes to replacing ageing stars.
They won't hold on to anyone much past their sell by date no matter what they have contributed in the past.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't think Arteta will rock the boat, I imagine he'll be thinking that he could be a candidate for the job when Pep fecks off.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting how City won the league with 89 points last season (we got 84). We've improved to - if we beat Everton at the weekend - take 89, and City will most likely win the league with 91. We just have to go again. People point to individual results (Villa, City) but we've had breaks along the way as well - Garnacho offside, Rice clearing off the line v Brentford, 97th minute winner at Luton. It's a 38-game season and if 89 doesn't end up being enough, it's not enough. Add to the team and go again.

Liverpool managed to not win it with 97 so sometimes you have to say fair fecks.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
But if you have to win the title then you have to go for it. You can't be celebrating 0-0 draw at etihad knowing they will be relentless. Pep did a Jose that day and knew what he was doing. In fact he did the same at emirates but you guys sneaked a goal. We had two bland boring games. Arsenal fans thought they won that battle without realizing this city side or any top side for that matter will not make errors.
Pep done a Jose thing? You also said that yesterday and said he would have been delighted with that result or words to that effect?

If you said Arteta had done a Jose thing, i might have understood, but how did Pep do a Jose thing, that's a new one for me?!

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
"But if you have to win the title then you have to go for it."
"Pep did a Jose that day"

In the same post. And City will probs win the title. So if you have to win the title then do you have to go for it or is 0-0 enough? Looks like "doing a Jose" will be enough for City... Confusing.

Rojofiam

Interesting how City won the league with 89 points last season (we got 84). We've improved to - if we beat Everton at the weekend - take 89, and City will most likely win the league with 91. We just have to go again. People point to individual results (Villa, City) but we've had breaks along the way as well - Garnacho offside, Rice clearing off the line v Brentford, 97th minute winner at Luton. It's a 38-game season and if 89 doesn't end up being enough, it's not enough. Add to the team and go again.

Liverpool managed to not win it with 97 so sometimes you have to say fair fecks.
No, you don't have to say that in this case, because City are nothing but a sportswashing, soulless project that had billions of blood money pumped into it by an authoritarian regime with systematic human rights violations happening on a daily basis, as well as a penal code stuck hundreds of years in the past.

And on top of all that disgusting shit, they still had to shamelessly cheat their way to the top, not just a little bit, but serially.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
"But if you have to win the title then you have to go for it."
"Pep did a Jose that day"

In the same post. And City will probs win the title. So if you have to win the title then do you have to go for it or is 0-0 enough? Looks like "doing a Jose" will be enough for City... Confusing.
What's confusing me is Arsenal were the team accused of being too defensive, sitting in, deep block etc, i thought that 'was doing a Jose'? Not having all 72% possession and most of the territory like Pep's City did?

AshRK

Pep done a Jose thing? You also said that yesterday and said he would have been delighted with that result or words to that effect?

If you said Arteta had done a Jose thing, i might have understood, but how did Pep do a Jose thing, that's a new one for me?!
Pep knew 0-0 would be good for them as they always push hard in the latter part of the games. Jose in his peak used to do that. And "did a jose" doesn't equate to park the bus or defend. You look at the large picture and play the game accordingly and pep did that. The game was played according to Pep's pace and Arsenal didn't push them to win was my point. The way Arsenal fans celebrated the draw was a bit weird. It was not a bad result but there was an opportunity to punish City and make a statement. City were there for the taking and I feel Arsenal could have played a bit more aggressively and who knows you guys could have come with 3 points.

That draw reminded me of some season back Klopp playing 0-0 at Old trafford when we there for the taking. I feel sometimes you have to go for the kill and make a statement and Arsenal missed that chance. Not saying that is the big reason for you not winning the title but that was one opportunity where I feel a win and Arsenal would have run away with the title.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pep knew 0-0 would be good for them as they always push hard in the latter part of the games. Jose in his peak used to do that. And "did a jose" doesn't equate to park the bus or defend. You look at the large picture and play the game accordingly and pep did that. The game was played according to Pep's pace and Arsenal didn't push them to win was my point. The way Arsenal fans celebrated the draw was a bit weird. It was not a bad result but there was an opportunity to punish City and make a statement. City were there for the taking and I feel Arsenal could have played a bit more aggressively and who knows you guys could have come with 3 points.

That draw reminded me of some season back Klopp playing 0-0 at Old trafford when we there for the taking. I feel sometimes you have to go for the kill and make a statement and Arsenal missed that chance. Not saying that is the big reason for you not winning the title but that was one opportunity where I feel a win and Arsenal would have run away with the title.
Arsenal were at the top, with the draw they were at the top. They lost lead only when they lost to villa which was one off. Pep didn't plan anything, it's just that he couldn't score a goal vs arsenal and arsenal played that game perfectly.

AshRK

Arsenal were at the top, with the draw they were at the top. They lost lead only when they lost to villa which was one off. Pep didn't plan anything, it's just that he couldn't score a goal vs arsenal and arsenal played that game perfectly.
It is matter of opinions and I felt although not a terrible result but that was a game Arsenal could have pushed hard. Coming out with a 27% possession and hardly trying wasn't sending any great message.

Pep and city themselves with so much possession and barring couple of good chances were content keeping the ball. Although Arsenal were the table toppers and playing away but with City you have to be the one to push them and not the other way around. There was a reason even after the draw , many neutrals felt city even though third were still the favorites. I don't think City or Pep were ever intimidated by this Arsenal side, as good as they have been.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think the approach the Etihad was the right one. You had already beaten them at home. Obviously winning there is great but taking 4 points off them directly was a great outcome.

The thing is, it's hard to say if Arsenal had won that game, that everything else after would have remained the same. We could all say, we dropped 2 points here, 2 points there and then add them up to make some kind of point about where the team messed up, I do it often myself, but in the alternate world where Arsenal beat City at the Etihad, are we sure they don't mess up some other game? We can't go back and change an important detail about the past and expect everything that happened after to remain the same.
Exactly Pat. I think people are actually forgetting how good City are at home. The very few teams that do tend to get good results there are teams that hurt them in transition. We tried to do that, we're just lacking a bit of pace to be really effective at it, something I'd like to add this summer.

Football is a game of fine margins, Son puts that chance away with a fe minutes to go last night and Pep wouldn't be looking as clever as he apparently did after the Etihad draw (I actually think he was disappointed with the draw myself, but maybe that just me).