Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We are not good enough right now at adopting an effective counter only game. It's something Arteta needs to work on. We are also a bit short on options for that. That is one game I would have started Martinelli. A more direct upfront threat is important for that too.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
Son basically 1v1 against a backup keeper and he kicks it right at him. Had me puking. If he scores that, I don't think city get the 2nd.

There were a couple other chances that spurs had, but that was obviously the most egregious miss.

I don't have much hope for West Ham to get anything off city, but them being motivated to win one last match for the Moyesiah would be nice.

ZainCRse7en

Despite spending truckloads of money, they still haven't win anything. How different is Arteta compared to ETH? They have been lucky with injuries all season yet still look like they couldn't win it. ETH on the other hand has had to work with a squad decimated by injuries left, right and centre. Yet he still has the chance to lift a trophy (FA cup) compared to Arteta.

Taribo's Gap

A couple of questions for any Arsenal fans:

1. According to WhoScored, Arsenal were joint top with City last year in open play goals with 62 whereas this year they are currently joint 5th (47), but they have scored more goals this year in a variety of different ways. Is this down to something Arteta has intentionally done and, if so, is this more varied approach more desirable/sustainable?

2. It's taken as a given that Arsenal have improved this year, and that is probably true given the defensive performance and performance in big league games, but I do remember that last year both Saliba and Tomiyasu went down with injuries at a critical time and you were left with Rob Holding and a crumbling Zinny for the run in. A lot of points were dropped and a lot of goals were conceded during that stretch. Given that, how much of the ~5 point difference year-on-year is attributable to these key injuries, which were less of an issue this year, versus said improvements?

My bias is that I probably enjoyed how Arsenal played in the first half of last season more, but can see how the changes this year are could be more sustainable and preferable for more sturdy title challenges and well as challenging on multiple fronts, especially after the league had adjusted to the "new" Arsenal.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Same here. It'll be near impossible for Pep to motivate his team to a 5th title on the bounce. Especially in the first half of the season. With Klopp gone, it's basically a free run at the title for Arsenal.
Not sure. I think city will want to go for a 2nd treble which they’re very capable of. They’ll be the first to ever do it just like they’re the first to ever win 4 in a row. That’s motivation in itself.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Despite spending truckloads of money, they still haven't win anything. How different is Arteta compared to ETH? They have been lucky with injuries all season yet still look like they couldn't win it. ETH on the other hand has had to work with a squad decimated by injuries left, right and centre. Yet he still has the chance to lift a trophy (FA cup) compared to Arteta.
Same old tired position...and not even that factual. We lost Tomber and Partey for most of the season...almost all of it. Our injury record I would imagine looks similar to that of City's.

As for your injury record, maybe it's time evaluate that and look to not rely so much on injury prone players.

And as for money spent...we spent the same.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No difference. If Arteta somehow lucky keeps his job, so should ETH. Both are doing great jobs at their clubs. I just can't wait to see ETH in charge in Utd next season.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal

1. According to WhoScored, Arsenal were joint top with City last year in open play goals with 62 whereas this year they are currently joint 5th (47), but they have scored more goals this year in a variety of different ways. Is this down to something Arteta has intentionally done and, if so, is this more varied approach more desirable/sustainable?

2. It's taken as a given that Arsenal have improved this year, and that is probably true given the defensive performance and performance in big league games, but I do remember that last year both Saliba and Tomiyasu went down with injuries at a critical time and you were left with Rob Holding and a crumbling Zinny for the run in. A lot of points were dropped and a lot of goals were conceded during that stretch. Given that, how much of the ~5 point difference year-on-year is attributable to these key injuries, which were less of an issue this year, versus said improvements?

My bias is that I probably enjoyed how Arsenal played in the first half of last season more, but can see how the changes this year are could be more sustainable and preferable for more sturdy title challenges and well as challenging on multiple fronts, especially after the league had adjusted to the "new" Arsenal.
1. Arteta has said, when asked about set piece goals, that he wants us to be the best in the world at everything. I haven't seen the stats but I would guess we scored less towards the end of last season compared with the first half. The improvement on set pieces has helped to counteract that trend (and we've scored more goals this season). I don't know to what extent this is more of a focus than scoring in open play, though. I don't think our players are knocking it out off opponents just so we can have a corner. I just think it's a marginal gain.

2. Good question, don't really know. And we'll never know what would have happened had Saliba/Tomiyasu not been picked for that game against Sporting. This season vs Last season is an interesting question all round really, as no one expected us (not least our opponents) to win 15 out of our first 17 league games and be leading the lead at Christmas. The way teams approached games against us changed after that. Thing is, no tactical approach is forever, and teams are tweaking what they do throughout the season, even City. I don't think we'll ever have it cracked exactly, but having more players who can play in different ways, in different roles (like Havertz and Rice, and presumably Timber), is a big benefit and gives us more flexibility (and therefore sustainability).

Captmfla

Not sure. I think city will want to go for a 2nd treble which they’re very capable of. They’ll be the first to ever do it just like they’re the first to ever win 4 in a row. That’s motivation in itself.
Yes but there's Bellingham or Sancho this season.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
I think what @TheGame here says is key though. Saliba and Gabriel have been strong this year but we saw how you struggled without Saliba in that first title challenging season. I know you have Timber but it's yet to be seen how that long term injury impacts him. You did do it last year but 2 seasons in a row of failure at the last hurdle is a huge mental impact to a squad. Who knows, you could still do it this year.
We definitely need a good showing from Timber (expectations are certainly raised, seems like he's been elevated to the level of Ballon D'Or winner in his absence by a part of our fanbase!) and Kiwior to continue developing or ideally get another experienced defender who can play at least one side full-back + centre-back.

I think our mentality is being hardened by going toe-to-toe with City and getting incrementally better and more aware of what's required. Psychologically the big blow was probably last season when it was the first time for many of the younger players and it seemed to be a lot more confidence and momentum-based. Our form seems less contingent on that now, our occasional poor games still frustrating but less obviously attributable to anything mental - we certainly saw that Arsenal in December but it does seem like a corner has been turned in 2024. I hope this is a more mature team now that can take this in their stride.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

1. We were struggling a bit first half of the season, firstly creating chances then had a spell near Xmas and new year when chances were being created but not converted. That's when the talk was at it's most vocal that Arsenal need a new number 9. The set pieces are defo something that's been worked on. Will be interesting to see those figures pre and post new year to see if there was a difference.

2. It's hard to quantify. Remember we had a first half of last season very similar to the 2nd half of this season. Although we certainly missed Saliba & Tomiyasu, i also think Partey was struggling with fitness & form at that time as well. I think the Saliba / Gabriel / Rice triangle was very important for us this season. I think we could cope better not having 1 of the 3, losing 2/3 for a while would be a struggle.

Yakuza_devils

Never say never. West Ham with Moyes' parking the bus could cause an upset. Moyes is known for defensive tactics.

Winrar

Never say never. West Ham with Moyes' parking the bus could cause an upset. Moyes is known for defensive tactics.
I've been thinking 90+8 winner from City. They generally seem to struggle on the final matches at home but get it over the line eventually.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's an insult? It was just playful banter. I have used it 50 times before.

But to each his own. I hope you are happy.
The fact you know the usual protocol for infractions being issued suggests this isn't your first rodeo.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The fact you know the usual protocol for infractions being issued suggests this isn't your first rodeo.
Did they make you a moderator or do you like to cosplay as one?

Jesus Christ! Go play with some other posts, bud.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He should just work on the most negative disgusting set-up he can think of just for a laugh. He's gone after the game and he can single handedly try to switch the title's destination.
Do it for the love of the game !

surf

You just have to compare the goal differences of +61 and -4 to see that Arteta's team has been hugely better than ETH's team. It's pretty obvious that Arteta has been the better manager this season. Also compare Champions league performances - ours was abject, theirs was decent.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Arsenal become the latest victim of the serial cheats. They can hold their heads up high knowing they only lost to a soulless sportswashing project who have to cheat to win. Credit to Arsenal who do not need to stoop to cheating.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
West Ham ain't lifting a finger to help Arsenal.
I don't think anyone expects you to. Your manager doesn't seem to care and your fans will probably flock the stadium with City shirts #41 Rice on the back.
Spurs v WestHam: Battle of the Irrelevants

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't think anyone expects you to. Your manager doesn't seem to care and your fans will probably flock the stadium with City shirts #41 Rice on the back.
Maybe you should have done something other than having a tactical fouling competition with City at the Etihad if you didn't want to be relying on Spurs and West Ham to win the league for you?

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Aw, bless.

mu4c_20le

:lol:

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe you should have done something other than having a tactical fouling competition with City at the Etihad if you didn't want to be relying on Spurs and West Ham to win the league for you?
What a novel and interesting opinion !

always_hoping

Arsenal in the Premier League under Arteta

2019/20 - 8th and 56 points (appointed in December)
2020/21 - 8th and 61 points
2021/22 - 5th and 69 points
2022/23 - 2nd and 84 points
2023/24 - 2nd and 86 points (1 game to play)

European record (didn't play in Europe one season)

Champions league Quarter finals
Europa League round of 16
Europa League Semi-finals
Europa League round 32

Trophies won FA Cup in 2020

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
West Ham ain't lifting a finger to help Arsenal.
It's cute to think that us fans actually dictate their players from putting the level of effort. Thank goodness players and managers don't like being embarrassed... Even though apparently some "fans" do not mind.

I don't think WH will do an awful lot here but the players and staff will take it seriously. It's more whether or not they can actually pose a threat is the better question, and sadly that's a no because they are not good enough.

Many Spurs supporters had the same attitude but in the end their players took it seriously. They were not good enough either.

These supporters just embarrass themselves talking trash.

Dansk

Can't see City dropping points at home to West Ham who have nothing to play for and have won just one of their last five games, with 5-0 and 5-2 losses amongst them.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Or won 1 of the other 9 games we dropped points in. That's how a league system works.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Arsenal playing for a draw at Ethiad being a mistake is an odd take.

Its very difficult to get a result there, if Arsenal played open they probably would have lost, and then what?

They took 4 points from City overall, so that wasn't the problem.

If they just had won vs Aston Villa, nobody would be talking about this.

Siorac

Arsenal in the Premier League under Arteta

2019/20 - 8th and 56 points (appointed in December)
2020/21 - 8th and 61 points
2021/22 - 5th and 69 points
2022/23 - 2nd and 84 points
2023/24 - 2nd and 86 points (1 game to play)

European record (didn't play in Europe one season)

Champions league Quarter finals
Europa League round of 16
Europa League Semi-finals
Europa League round 32

Trophies won FA Cup in 2020
Not quite the point but it bothers me that you did the league performance in one chronological order and then the European performance in reverse.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal playing for a draw at Ethiad being a mistake is an odd take.

Its very difficult to get a result there, if Arsenal played open they probably would have lost, and then what?

They took 4 points from City overall, so that wasn't the problem.

If they just had won vs Aston Villa, nobody would be talking about this.
Arsenal bottled the league by not getting 6 points off City.
Arsenal bottled the league by not winning every single game after xmas
Arsenal bottled the league by not winning every single game since the first game.
Arsenal bottled the CL by not winning against the "weak" Bayern.

Nothing odd.

Revan

Assumptionman
Arsenal bottled the league by not getting 6 points off City.
Arsenal bottled the league by not winning every single game after xmas
Arsenal bottled the league by not winning every single game since the first game.
Arsenal bottled the CL by not winning against the "weak" Bayern.

Nothing odd.
Insane to say bottled the league by not defeating City at Etihad. Do they ever lose there?

At the same time, losing against Villa at home will haunt Arsenal for a very long time. A totally winnable match.

But the main issue is simply City are just way too good. I think they’ve lost something like 4 matches in EPL in the last 4 years after Christmas, so they have one of those unbelievable insane records. Basically need to have a good difference in points by Christmas and then continue near perfect.

The fact that only Liverpool managed to defeat them in the last 6 years shows how good they have been. Still, this is going to be devastating for Arsenal. They lose again despite doing almost everything right. Need to have monster mentality to really think they can win next season.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Oh winning more points, how didn't arteta think of that...